Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 178 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #5311 of 39365 Old 03-28-2009, 06:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:

Originally Posted by ehlarson
Hmmm - any potential harm to disconnecting the power with the player on? I use Smart Power Strips to remove all power from my HT when not in use (except one component that acts as a trigger) since I found that my system draws about 80 watts in standby

Yes. Changes made in setup will not be remembered unless you do a proper power-down cycle. Personally I think this is a bad idea with players, but that's just an opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5312 of 39365 Old 03-28-2009, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I've be using the Oppo 83 for the last three days. Blu-ray play back is the same as my Pan BD30 but much faster in loading disc's . With SD DVD I couldn't tell the difference between the Oppo 83 or my pan BD30 and Toshiba A35. I have turn off 1080p/24 and have de-interlacing on auto for SD DVD. I don't have SCAD or DVD Audio to test the player. Where are you guys buying your SCAD or DVD Audio music.

post #5313 of 39365 Old 03-28-2009, 06:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by xradman View Post

I would think that it would be better to play it at 50Hz. I don't know how Oppo converts from 50i to 60p. The films are actually 25p (24p sped up to 25p), so I think it must apply some sort of oddball deinterlacing scheme to get it to 60Hz which would result in some sort of judder at 60Hz.

Would 2:2:3:2 convert 50i to 60p?

If your display can accept PAL, then I would use PAL. The less processing that has to be done, the less chance for errors. My projector accepts PAL, so I leave my -83 set to multi-system.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #5314 of 39365 Old 03-28-2009, 06:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsil View Post

I've be using the Oppo 83 for the last three days. Blu-ray play back is the same as my Pan BD30 but much faster in loading disc's . With SD DVD I couldn't tell the difference between the Oppo 83 or my pan BD30 and Toshiba A35. I have turn off 1080p/24 and have de-interlacing on auto for SD DVD. I don't have SCAD or DVD Audio to test the player. Where are you guys buying your SCAD or DVD Audio music.

Amazon and Ebay are good places to get started. AIX sells direct too I believe.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
post #5315 of 39365 Old 03-28-2009, 06:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I hope that advise about BD-Live is not permanent. BD-Live is official part of this player's spec and I expect it to perform just as well with it turned on.

Right, and so should HDMI always have perfect performance and handshaking, and CEC should never have any problems either, ect... ect... ect...

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #5316 of 39365 Old 03-28-2009, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson View Post

Hmmm - any potential harm to disconnecting the power with the player on? I use Smart Power Strips to remove all power from my HT when not in use (except one component that acts as a trigger) since I found that my system draws about 80 watts in standby .

As long as you power off the player first (this is also a good idea as it will begin the disc spin down process) then cut the power, there should be no issue.

I personally turn the BDP-83 through my receiver. So when the receiver is turned off, all power to the BDP-83 is cut.
post #5317 of 39365 Old 03-28-2009, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

Right, and so should HDMI always have perfect performance and handshaking, and CEC should never have any problems either, ect... ect... ect...

It should and if it doesn't work as advertised, we should get them to fix it so that it works as designed rather than say, let's turn it off or don't use that.

Addicted to shiny round discs with HD content

My Home Theater
My Movie Collection
BDP-83 EAP (second group)
post #5318 of 39365 Old 03-28-2009, 06:55 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:

I hope that advise about BD-Live is not permanent. BD-Live is official part of this player's spec and I expect it to perform just as well with it turned on.

Nevertheless, turning BD-Live off as a diagnostic step can help isolate Blu-Ray issues that might be related to poor network setup. He's having problems getting discs to load. When you are having problems, simplify, simplify, simplify. Once you know what's going wrong, then you can turn things back on.

Same thing with 1080p/24 Auto and DVD/24 ON. Same thing with HDMI Deep Color and HDMI CEC.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #5319 of 39365 Old 03-28-2009, 07:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

It should and if it doesn't work as advertised, we should get them to fix it so that it works as designed rather than say, let's turn it off or don't use that.

I think that one went right over your head
Seriously though, I have never known a company that did work as hard as OPPO does to get everything working as well as possible. I'm sure they will do there best to do so with the BDP-83 as well.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #5320 of 39365 Old 03-28-2009, 07:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Nobody said that. Jeeeze that irritates me.
post #5321 of 39365 Old 03-28-2009, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
I just wanted to mention an apparent bug I found that I just e-mailed OPPO about. I didn't see it on the first page, and I don't recall seeing it in the thread, but this thread is hard to keep track of!

I was watching the special feature of the '6 minute short' on Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow Blu-ray today. It is non-anamorphic letterboxed, so I engaged the zoom to full. When done, it went back to the menu, but the menu was stuck in Full zoom. I couldn't see half the entries on the menu to select them, and pressing the zoom button didn't work anymore (I assume there was a red circle 'no' sign, but I couldn't see it because of the zoom). I had to go into another special feature to change the zoom back, then hit menu to return to the correctly zoomed menu.

Now this could be by design:
1) By design, the OPPO or disc doesn't allow the zoom buttons on menus.
2) By design, the OPPO keeps zoom settings until they are manually changed.

I would think that one or the other of those 2 should be changed, but I know sometimes there are tradeoffs where doing it one way works better for the majority of cases but screws up the minority.

Just an observation.
post #5322 of 39365 Old 03-28-2009, 07:05 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam88 View Post

Of course we care Roberta. Nice to see you back.
We were beginning to wonder where you were.
Did you have a lot of catch-up reading to do?

Thanks for the vote of confidence on the HDfury2. I appreciate your informed feedback.

Hi Jam88!

It didn't take me too long to read the 10 days worth of postings. Obviously EAP'ers are having fun playing with the unit and I eagerly read the ones that comment on the player's audio performance. Obviously, the true test for me will be when I get to audition the player in my system and do some A/B/C/D testing with my other CD &/or DVD players.

At this point, I don't have much to contribute as I don't have the '83 yet. However that hasn't stopped me from contributing my highly biased views on analog vs. digital sound and comparing audio quality using analog vs. HDMI connectors!

R

P.S. My main squeeze is REALLY bored silly with this stuff.
post #5323 of 39365 Old 03-28-2009, 07:10 PM

Hi guys...Hey, am I going blind or is there no auto off on this unit?
post #5324 of 39365 Old 03-28-2009, 07:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogone View Post

Hi guys...Hey, am I going blind or is there no auto off on this unit?

I can't speak to your vision, but there is no auto-off. Just the screensaver.
post #5325 of 39365 Old 03-28-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

I can't speak to your vision, but there is no auto-off. Just the screensaver.

I thought I may have over-looked it. Hmmmm, this is probably the first BR player I have owned that didn't have it.
post #5326 of 39365 Old 03-28-2009, 07:17 PM

I dont know if this has been posted but so far I found a very annoying glitch with this player. Not necessarily specifically with THIS player alone as Ive found it with many players. But the fact that THIS player has this glitch is a bit unforgiving.

The glitch: When I press stop, it wont resume at the same place I was previously watching from!

My old Panasonic progressive scan dvd player from 11ty yrs ago will resume in the same place after Ive completely turned off the unit. Why is it so hard to get it into the firmware for BD players to do the same thing?
post #5327 of 39365 Old 03-28-2009, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
The player is setup with HDMI and 2 ch. analog. The 83 is connected to the Denon 3808 with Epos speakers and JL F113.

I compared 2 ch analog to HDMI 2 ch, and I really like listening 2 ch analog for CD only. SACDs sound great over HDMI. All of my SACDs played fine. The 83 is amazing and will only get better with FW updates.

I don't have any DVD A and I will comment on this feature at a later date when the FW is improved. I plan to get a disc.

I played about 7 BDs and QoS to the end. Also, I have the recalled Iron Man which played fine but the sound was poor. I turned off DRC and there was a major improvements in sound.

SD looks as expected. Great! Plan to play some disc with 24p is on.

I will vote yes but I want to give the player some more time. THERE IS A MISSING SCREW FROM THE BACK. I will call Oppo to see if they can send it out to me. I will not return this player because of a missing screw.

Brian
post #5328 of 39365 Old 03-28-2009, 07:20 PM

Hey dogone,
I don`t know of any BD player that will do that and its bloody annoying.
post #5329 of 39365 Old 03-28-2009, 07:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post

I dont know if this has been posted but so far I found a very annoying glitch with this player. Not necessarily specifically with THIS player alone as Ive found it with many players. But the fact that THIS player has this glitch is a bit unforgiving.

The glitch: When I press stop, it wont resume at the same place I was previously watching from!

My old Panasonic progressive scan dvd player from 11ty yrs ago will resume in the same place after Ive completely turned off the unit. Why is it so hard to get it into the firmware for BD players to do the same thing?

If you are speaking of Blu-ray discs, then the discs you are trying to resume are encoded with Java. The BD-Java is the problem, not the players. Your anger should be directed at the BDA, and justifiably so.
(not all BRs have Java, and those dvds WILL resume. I just did it with one the other night... Rescue Dawn.)

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #5330 of 39365 Old 03-28-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:

If you are speaking of Blu-ray discs, then the discs you are trying to resume are encoded with Java. The BD-Java is the problem, not the players. Your anger should be directed at the BDA, nad justifiably so.

Hmm, ok. I apologize OPPO. Carry on.
post #5331 of 39365 Old 03-28-2009, 07:23 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobearQSI View Post

I just wanted to mention an apparent bug I found that I just e-mailed OPPO about. I didn't see it on the first page, and I don't recall seeing it in the thread, but this thread is hard to keep track of!

I was watching the special feature of the '6 minute short' on Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow Blu-ray today. It is non-anamorphic letterboxed, so I engaged the zoom to full. When done, it went back to the menu, but the menu was stuck in Full zoom. I couldn't see half the entries on the menu to select them, and pressing the zoom button didn't work anymore (I assume there was a red circle 'no' sign, but I couldn't see it because of the zoom). I had to go into another special feature to change the zoom back, then hit menu to return to the correctly zoomed menu.

Now this could be by design:
1) By design, the OPPO or disc doesn't allow the zoom buttons on menus.
2) By design, the OPPO keeps zoom settings until they are manually changed.

I would think that one or the other of those 2 should be changed, but I know sometimes there are tradeoffs where doing it one way works better for the majority of cases but screws up the minority.

Just an observation.

I've reported this also. I thought at one time zoom level was cancelled when returning to the menu, but neither do I recall testing it.

-Bill
post #5332 of 39365 Old 03-28-2009, 07:24 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post

See the FAQ: Does the player resume at the last position when a disc is reloaded?

Quote:

Yes, as long as BD-Java on the disc doesn't prevent it.

According to the manual (Advanced Operations / Memory and Automatic Resume) the player will remember the stopping point of up to five discs when they are ejected or the player is powered off.

Blu-ray discs with BD-Java cannot be resumed by the player automatically. You have to use the programming on the disc (if such exists) to set a bookmark or some other saved point.

The studios are responsible for disc authoring issues that the player cannot override.

-Bill
post #5333 of 39365 Old 03-28-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doccoffin View Post

Hey dogone,
I don`t know of any BD player that will do that and its bloody annoying.

Actually, every single Blu-ray player except the oppo has auto off...and I like it...So this is a surprising (although minor) disappointment.
post #5334 of 39365 Old 03-28-2009, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogone View Post

Actually, every single Blu-ray player except the oppo has auto off...and I like it...So this is a surprising (although minor) disappointment.

Never heard of it or seen it in my players. How does this "Auto-Off" work?
post #5335 of 39365 Old 03-28-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

Never heard of it or seen it in my players. How does this "Auto-Off" work?

I have had every Panasonic player made to date (all have auto off) I have 2 Pioneer Elite 05 units (both of course with auto off)...I have 3 Sharp blu-ray players...(all have auto off) I also had 2 Sony players and both of them had auto off. Now that I think of it, before Blu-ray came out, all my Toshiba HD-DVD players had it too.

Basically the unit just shuts itself off after the movie is over...So if you forget to turn it off, it will turn itself off after so many hours. Some units (such as Panasonic) you can adjust it to turn off at a specific time, or turn it off if you don't want to use it. I liked it because I could set my projector in my bedroom to go off after I fall asleep and then set the BR player to auto off and they both go out after I'm asleep. I sometimes need to watch TV to fall asleep...
post #5336 of 39365 Old 03-28-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D View Post

You meant no RF but anyway, too bad. The 890 and 1100 (I think it's called) will solve your remote problem and they are not ridiculously expensive. Good luck.

Yup.... I meant RF.

I just updated my Harmony 880 to code set 2 using the instructions I posted earlier from harmony tech support (confirming remote codes, etc.).

Easy and worked like a charm! I'm a happy camper now.... 981HD and 83 coexisting fine in my system.

I just finished comparing the 981 and 83 with Quantum of Solace (SD) prior to reprograming my remote.... so I had both playing at the same time (remote controlled both) and switched back and forth with the HM-31 switch.

Both load and switch chapters in about the same amount of time. I kept switching back and forth until I lost track of which signal I was on.

Initially I was disappointed. There was a noticable difference between the two pictures (one appeared much more vibrant with much better color depth). Unfortunately when I checked the HM-31 I thought the old 981 was the consistent winner ..... until I remembered I had reversed the inputs on the switch and the clear (very clear) winner was the 83 . This was even more impressive as before I remembered the switched inputs and after I was paying attention to which unit I thought was producing the signal I was still convinced that the 981 was the winner - Glad I was mistaken!

As for standard CDs the sound is absoultely awsome. I have HDMI -> bitstream and my speakers set to LARGE. Best sound I have every heard from my system. My only problem was with one set of Fresh Aire CDs..... 3 out of the 4 produce a loud vibration while spinning (only on th 83, not the 981). They are, however, obviously much thinner than any of my other disks. I've let Oppo know and will send them the disks. I doubt this is a bug in the unit as much as a problem with those CDs.

This is going to be a definite YES vote if nothing changes by Monday.

EAP-2
post #5337 of 39365 Old 03-28-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawoman View Post

I have the Panasonic DMP-BD30 and it will not force 24p. People requested this but Panasonic had indicated they would not enable this feature. I suspect the 35 is the same. The Oppo 83 will force 24p.

Suspecting is not quite as good as owning - oh, my - The panny 35 supports 24p for SDVD.
post #5338 of 39365 Old 03-28-2009, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Attachment 138131

I've attached a quick screen capture of the noise pattern that my unit displays. The low res. image gives a fairly good representation. What is missing with the static image, are the moving vertical bars at evenly spaced intervals.

After taking this pic I pulled the 83 out of the rack and connected it directly to another display, also via HDMI. Same result with the exception of the blue colored Blu-Ray logo was now Pink, go figure.

I've never seen a noise pattern like this before. Any engineers in the group that might be able to diagnose?

Will be interesting to hear what OPPO finds when they receive my player back.

Joe
LL
post #5339 of 39365 Old 03-28-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by styx1 View Post

Yup.... I meant RF.

I just updated my Harmony 880 to code set 2 using the instructions I posted earlier from harmony tech support (confirming remote codes, etc.).

Easy and worked like a charm! I'm a happy camper now.... 981HD and 83 coexisting fine in my system.

I just finished comparing the 981 and 83 with Quantum of Solace (SD) prior to reprograming my remote.... so I had both playing at the same time (remote controlled both) and switched back and forth with the HM-31 switch.

Both load and switch chapters in about the same amount of time. I kept switching back and forth until I lost track of which signal I was on.

Initially I was disappointed. There was a noticable difference between the two pictures (one appeared much more vibrant with much better color depth). Unfortunately when I checked the HM-31 I thought the old 981 was the consistent winner ..... until I remembered I had reversed the inputs on the switch and the clear (very clear) winner was the 83 . This was even more impressive as before I remembered the switched inputs and after I was paying attention to which unit I thought was producing the signal I was still convinced that the 981 was the winner - Glad I was mistaken!

As for standard CDs the sound is absoultely awsome. I have HDMI -> bitstream and my speakers set to LARGE. Best sound I have every heard from my system. My only problem was with one set of Fresh Aire CDs..... 3 out of the 4 produce a loud vibration while spinning (only on th 83, not the 981). They are, however, obviously much thinner than any of my other disks. I've let Oppo know and will send them the disks. I doubt this is a bug in the unit as much as a problem with those CDs.

This is going to be a definite YES vote if nothing changes by Monday.

Wow, I'm curious...why would you spend money on a SD version of Quantum of Solace when you have a blu-ray player and could have bought it on BR?...it just came out Tuesday right?
post #5340 of 39365 Old 03-28-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco70 View Post

Attachment 138131

I've attached a quick screen capture of the noise pattern that my unit displays. The low res. image gives a fairly good representation. What is missing with the static image, are the moving vertical bars at evenly spaced intervals.

After taking this pic I pulled the 83 out of the rack and connected it directly to another display, also via HDMI. Same result with the exception of the blue colored Blu-Ray logo was now Pink, go figure.

I've never seen a noise pattern like this before. Any engineers in the group that might be able to diagnose?

Will be interesting to hear what OPPO finds when they receive my player back.

Joe

It sure looks like a bad HDMI connection to me.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Oppo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page