Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 182 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #5431 of 39367 Old 03-29-2009, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by narkspud View Post

I think a lot of us EAPers are in "wait and see" mode, not willing to officially place a "no" vote until Oppo has had a chance to deal with the firmware issues.

EXACTLY. I will wait until one or two more test firmwares are released before I sign off on this. If most of people's gripes are fixed in an upcoming firmware, I'll be happy to vote yes. But for now I am abstaining.

DVD-A and lip syncing are big enough issues for me to wait on this.

Ethan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5432 of 39367 Old 03-29-2009, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof View Post

Amen. I think the purpose of the EAP is for Oppo to gather as many opinions as possible. Many posters may not have voted no but Jeff did so I think we should ALL respect his opinion. Giving him the third degree about this is beyond reason IMO. I also think it wards off constructive criticism that may not be voiced in this thread for fear of having one's case jumped.

If this is true, then he can never own a player. All BD players to date have something wrong with them. I think that Oppo has less issues with more features. You have to remember that this is the FIRST BD of it's kind.
post #5433 of 39367 Old 03-29-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubavs View Post

I agree. IMO voting NO on a one-disc test is abrogating the EAPers' responsibility. However, it's your right as an EAPer. So, be prepared to take some hits here, but vote as you like.

Our responsibility, as I understand it, is to vote on whether the unit as it is today is ready for general release. Based upon the one disc, it is not. Exactly how many discs need to be unwatchable for it to be a problem?

I'll be staying away until the heat dies down.
post #5434 of 39367 Old 03-29-2009, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

I think a lot of us EAPers are in "wait and see" mode, not willing to officially place a "no" vote until Oppo has had a chance to deal with the firmware issues.

I, too, am oppo-sed to voting "no" over one disc. But I've had the same sync problem on more than one, and it's one of the big reasons I'm still abstaining.

And if you're in the EAP program, you have been given the right to vote however you want to for any reason you want to. My vote is going to be based on much watching, listening, and troubleshooting, but no one is forcing me to do these things. Heck, you can vote no because you think the logo on the front of the unit is too big (which it is).

Can you please post your setup. I think that some of the problem may be "unexplained interaction with the rest of your gear." Oppo will use this infomation for additional FW.
post #5435 of 39367 Old 03-29-2009, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operon View Post

...I, for one, would be willing to wait until these get straightened out...I suspect my demands are a bit broader than the average bear....

I believe you started there with the same responses about 30 pages ago when the initial 50 gave some of their impressions. Did you read Bob's response to Steve's tests...perhaps the interpretations may be skewed due to the PS3 implementations?
post #5436 of 39367 Old 03-29-2009, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstra View Post

...I'll be staying away until the heat dies down.

I don't think that's necessary at all, and would hope that you aren't taking comments to the contrary as negative toward you. You should honestly vote as you care to, but give it more time!
post #5437 of 39367 Old 03-29-2009, 11:02 AM

I`m not in either test group but I have been following along since this thing started because I love my Oppo 980H and have been waiting in anticipation for an Oppo BD. At this point, with DVD-A and some lip-sinc issues, I`m not ready to replace my Panasonic, which works perfectly, for an Oppo at $500 that does not work perfectly.
post #5438 of 39367 Old 03-29-2009, 11:19 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hef View Post

I believe you started there with the same responses about 30 pages ago when the initial 50 gave some of their impressions. Did you read Bob's response to Steve's tests...perhaps the interpretations may be skewed due to the PS3 implementations?

Quite right. Posters reporting bits rolling about the inside of the chassis was my first sniff that all was not right in the state of Denmark. As I continued reading there were reported as many issues as there were accolades. The nature of my post was to raise the question about the wisdom for a relatively new manufacturer to risk a hard earned reputation by releasing a substandard device however well-meaning the expressed promise to fix things in the future. At least some AV reviewers will hook the BDP-83 and subject it to proper testing. What if their review is less than favorable? That OPPO's first swing at the Blu-Ray ball is wanting. Is it worth the risk?
post #5439 of 39367 Old 03-29-2009, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

How do you get to the demo mode?

Hal
post #5440 of 39367 Old 03-29-2009, 11:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by halsan40 View Post

How do you get to the demo mode?

Press SETUP on the remote...
Then VIDEO SETUP -> HDMI OPTIONS -> DEMO MODE

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #5441 of 39367 Old 03-29-2009, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD View Post

I want to vote yes but I want to wait and spend more time with the player. Sorry but his "no" vote was impulsive base on one DVD according to his postings. It is good to know the reason behind his vote. AVSers can judge his vote base on the single reason.

Brian

In my view, there are too many factors that go into customer satisfaction to justify trying to analyze or otherwise weight a no vote. OPPO did not qualify how or why EAP folks evaluate their product. They wisely decided (apparently) to let the chips fall where they may. That's what happens in the real world with product acceptance or rejection and that's what is likely to happen here.

Second guessing a vote is likely to result in succeeding votes being accompanied by brief or no comments. Why say what you think about your purchase (recall that we all paid for these machines?), if you are likely to take shots for what you say?

I would much prefer to have folks feel free to say what they conclude and not have to be concerned with analysis of their conclusion or suggestions that they are falling short on their responsibilities.

2nd round OPPO BDP-83 EAP Selectee
post #5442 of 39367 Old 03-29-2009, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Here in my equipment.

Denon AVP-A1HDCI pre-pro
Samsung SP-A 800 1080P front projector.
Carada 106" Masquerade masking system.
Paradigm Active Reference 450's front, center and back channel. Active Ref ADP 450's for the side channel.
2 SVS Ultra 13 subs.
OPPO 980, Panasonic BD-30, Samsung BD-P2500.

The good.

Blu-ray and SD-DVD preformance was steller. All the disc I tried worked great. Only one froze up (Max Payne BR) when it was loading. A quick restart and it was fine. All HD DD and DTS formats work great without any problems thur HDMI. I use the AVP for all processing so the analog wasnt tried.

All CD's and SACD's that I tried worked and sounded great.

A few problems.

First DVD-A all the disc I tried have the same problem other have had. I know this will be fixed with a firmware update so I am not worried.

Second problem HDCD's. First I must say that all of the disc I have work with the OPPO 980, and Denon AVP both digital coax and HDMI. With the OPPO BDP-83 the Denon AVP cant lock on to them. They play but cut in and out. The Denon cant lock them down, like it does with the OPPO 980. I emailed OPPO and they suggested that I try each hookup separately, which I did and still the same problem. I hope this can and will be fix with a firmware update. I quess the OPPO 980 will stay in my system a little while longer.

If anyone here has the Denon AVP and OPPO BDP-83 could you try some HDCD's and see if you have the same problem.

Over all I am Happy with the player. Its well built, looks better in person and its menus are easy to use, and well laid out. Its preformance is steller when using BR, SD-DVD, CD and SACD. I am positive OPPO will get these problems fix, and when they do it will be the player to beat. I am not going to vote just yet. I want to spin a few more disc over next week, and make sure I dont have anymore problems to report.

Brad
post #5443 of 39367 Old 03-29-2009, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD View Post

Can you please post your setup. I think that some of the problem may be "unexplained interaction with the rest of your gear." Oppo will use this infomation for additional FW.

Oppo BDP-83
Onkyo TX-SR605 (stereo speakers only for now)
Monoprice HDX-201E HDMI switcher
Sony KV-30XBR910 (CRT, DVI, 1080i native)
And other stuff.

I've spent quite some time troubleshooting the sync issues, and determined that they are intermittent, they are only a problem on certain SD discs, and they only occur with HDMI output set to LPCM instead of Bitstream. When the problem is manifesting itself, the audio is equally out of sync on HDMI and the analog outputs.

I've also had intermittent non-repeatable issues with Blu-Ray disc menus, and I'm not thrilled about the zoom capabilities always going kablooey on external files and Video CDs. However, I am not an unhappy customer by any means (having expected some issues, this being an EAP), and I am certainly not the one who voted no.
post #5444 of 39367 Old 03-29-2009, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:

The nature of my post was to raise the question about the wisdom for a relatively new manufacturer to risk a hard earned reputation by releasing a substandard device however well-meaning the expressed promise to fix things in the future.

The purpose of the EAP 350 was to see if the BDP-83 was ready for general release, not to have certain non-EAP posters constantly over analyze why this is being done, and interpreting results.

Oppo Beta Group
post #5445 of 39367 Old 03-29-2009, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quite right. Posters reporting bits rolling about the inside of the chassis was my first sniff that all was not right in the state of Denmark. As I continued reading there were reported as many issues as there were accolades. The nature of my post was to raise the question about the wisdom for a relatively new manufacturer to risk a hard earned reputation by releasing a substandard device however well-meaning the expressed promise to fix things in the future.

Point of order. The device has not been released.
post #5446 of 39367 Old 03-29-2009, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

Press SETUP on the remote...
Then VIDEO SETUP -> HDMI OPTIONS -> DEMO MODE

Thank you. I am spending some time playing with my new toy.

Hal
post #5447 of 39367 Old 03-29-2009, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

The purpose of the EAP 350 was to see if the player was ready for general release, not to have certain non-EAP posters constantly over analyze why this is being done, and interpreting results.

Completely unrealistic.
post #5448 of 39367 Old 03-29-2009, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...all was not right in the state of Denmark....Is it worth the risk?

That's the State of California via China!!! And, I for one will purchase this player at its release date, knowing its foibles, and just avoid the problem discs for now, or keep my other equipment in the rack along with the 83. Should Oppo release the players without some firmware things worked out, I'm sure they will state that very plainly within their website offering. They're that kind of company. Then folks will know that they have to live with a certain feature not being implemented correctly, and choose to pass on the player until later.
post #5449 of 39367 Old 03-29-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:

Point of order. The device has not been released.

Noted. However, the question is rhetorical. Furthermore, I am led to believe that its release is imminent, (weeks). Can all significant issues be fixed within this time frame? I don't know. Would you bet the farm on the ability to lick these problems in a timely fashion?
post #5450 of 39367 Old 03-29-2009, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by gluvhand View Post

Completely unrealistic.

Against this thread, yes.

Oppo Beta Group
post #5451 of 39367 Old 03-29-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9168 View Post

I have a problem I need some help solving. I have the player connected via coax to an Arcam AVR350. I am watching the fifth element right now and it doesn't seem to come across in 5.1, as my only settings are Neo or PL. Is there a setting on the player I need to do to force 5.1DD or is it setup correctly if I don't have the 5.1 option? I did go into the audio setup and have it downmix to a 5.1 setup.

To offer more thought, it looks the the oppo is sending out a 2ch vs multichannel signal. Do I need to change a setting on the oppo?
post #5452 of 39367 Old 03-29-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hef View Post

That's the State of California via China!!! And, I for one will purchase this player at its release date, knowing its foibles, and just avoid the problem discs for now, or keep my other equipment in the rack along with the 83. Should Oppo release the players without some firmware things worked out, I'm sure they will state that very plainly within their website offering. They're that kind of company. Then folks will know that they have to live with a certain feature not being implemented correctly, and choose to pass on the player until later.

As will I. I have a penchant for bleeding edge technology and experience participating in these programs albeit in the software/networking bizz. To recommend such a device to discerning but less technically competent, less tolerant users is another issue altogether. (Yup know about OPPO's history. I just liked the Shakespeare metaphor as I'm feeling a bit like Hamlet here. Slings and arrows and all.)
post #5453 of 39367 Old 03-29-2009, 11:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:

To offer more thought, it looks the the oppo is sending out a 2ch vs multichannel signal. Do I need to change a setting on the oppo?

For DVD over coax, set the player to bitstream.
post #5454 of 39367 Old 03-29-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

I did, no change. Should I be changing something on secondary audio or the dolby pro logic setting?
post #5455 of 39367 Old 03-29-2009, 11:59 AM

I received my player weds., tried Blu-ray, SACD, SD-DVD and DVD-Audio,
can confirm that all played fine with various discs right out of the box, and that SD-DVD looks very good (on 1080p plasma) and DVD-Audio is not there yet. Love the GUI, hooked it up to my router for Firmware update/BD-live applications, saw my network right away. Picture side seems VERY tweekable.
All and all this player is ready and so I voted YES!!!! Can't wait for everyone to be able to get their hands on it, Congrats OPPO, you've done it again!!!!
post #5456 of 39367 Old 03-29-2009, 12:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:

I did, no change. Should I be changing something on secondary audio or the dolby pro logic setting?

You need to list all your audio settings, something is amiss. And I'm assuming you are talking about a DVD here, not BD.
post #5457 of 39367 Old 03-29-2009, 12:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 138
I've been keeping my eye on the bug list in the first post, some of whichsound pretty serious.

Do we know if these affect all units or are they just isolated instances?

Noah
post #5458 of 39367 Old 03-29-2009, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:

Should I be changing something on secondary audio or the dolby pro logic setting?

If this is like the other Oppos, try the speaker set up menu, and make sure there is no downconversion option enabled and/or make sure that there is 5/7 speakers are selected not 2. This is normally for the analog output, but I've learned that they often interact with the digital outputs as well.

Don't bother with secondary audio, or DPL settings.

The Hun
post #5459 of 39367 Old 03-29-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You need to list all your audio settings, something is amiss. And I'm assuming you are talking about a DVD here, not BD.

It is a bluray fifth element. My audio settings are:

off, lpcm, pcm, bitstream, 192

in that order on the menu
post #5460 of 39367 Old 03-29-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:

It is a bluray fifth element. My audio settings are:

off, lpcm, pcm, bitstream, 192

in that order on the menu

Did you check the audio setting for the disc? I had Stevie Wonder: Live at Last start out as 2 channel because that was the default of the disc (or it could have been Dave Matthews, tried them both yesterday).
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Oppo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page