post #631 of 39391 Old 02-28-2009, 01:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

I own all the players listed in someone's ranking above (save the Oppo of course) and find differences of PQ at 1080P 24fps are minute at best. Some offer more tweaking (ie Pioneer), but at the end of the day, they all look pretty damn good.

More often than not, perceived differences in "PQ" between BD players will be due to small differences in setup, and failure to have the display correctly calibrated for EACH player individually. In a perfect world, players would all output the same black, white and color levels but we don't live in that world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 39391 Old 02-28-2009, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
...well, that didn't take long... Thanks Rrollens for feeling free to open up and contribute fully... You'll find that these tireless beta testers will probably do wonders in sorting out all but the most egregious issues.

HDMI handshaking, 480i of HDMI, these are exactly the type of issues that I =expect= to be the niggling trouble spots, ones that (hopefully) can be fixed without breaking other things.

I'm feeling ever more optimistic that despite not being a "chosen one" that this roll out process will make for a better player.

Now, dammit, someone tell me how the player is at playing DVD layers of Dualdiscs... I know I can't get DVD-A yet, but the 971 used to barf hard even on the (granted, non-spec) CD or regular DVD layer.

post #633 of 39391 Old 02-28-2009, 01:52 PM

Liked: 10
[2. On the Blu Ray disc (Celine Dion In Concert) the Tru DD sound has serious audio drop outs.]

Wow!! Won't play Celine Dion!! This thing is packed with features
post #634 of 39391 Old 02-28-2009, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

More often than not, perceived differences in "PQ" between BD players will be due to small differences in setup, and failure to have the display correctly calibrated for EACH player individually. In a perfect world, players would all output the same black, white and color levels but we don't live in that world.

...Especially when companies like Panny have settings called "Normal" that still engage in processing. Heck, it's in my brain (and on AVS) somewhere, but didn't we have to tweak 971 settings a bit too, reducing colour to -2? It's been a while.

I frankly don't care about BD PQ reviews, as, frankly, any difference is unlikely to be properly diagnosed outside of a bench lab. That said, things like, I dunno, not playing a disc without barfing would be in the "good to know" category...

post #635 of 39391 Old 02-28-2009, 01:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Thanks Rob. This is precisely what logic would tell me. Of course if you read other threads like the new Pioneer, you'd think we'd taken the next step up from BD picture quality. I am very very skeptical of many of these reports.

My move is based on the logical one, a difference in features, load times etc.

In which case I am sure that you will be very pleased indeed with the Oppo. My HD1 is painfully slow in loading discs/java. The Oppo is MUCH faster.

SACD is working quite nicely too!
post #636 of 39391 Old 02-28-2009, 01:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkshark View Post

someone tell me how the player is at playing DVD layers of Dualdiscs... I know I can't get DVD-A yet, but the 971 used to barf hard even on the (granted, non-spec) CD or regular DVD layer.

No problemo. For the time being, it treats DVD-A as DVD-V.
post #637 of 39391 Old 02-28-2009, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

Now, dammit, someone tell me how the player is at playing DVD layers of Dualdiscs... I know I can't get DVD-A yet, but the 971 used to barf hard even on the (granted, non-spec) CD or regular DVD layer.

I have a quick fix for that particular issue with dualdisc playing problems.

P.M. me if you're interested.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #638 of 39391 Old 02-28-2009, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

No problemo. For the time being, it treats DVD-A as DVD-V.

...as expected, great. Not to beat a dead kitten, but do you own Brick?

post #639 of 39391 Old 02-28-2009, 02:52 PM

I've been lurking here since Sept. and now that we're getting close I have a question. First my equipment:
Toshiba 65HX81-No HDMI or DVI/Component Only/1080i
Pioneer Elite VSX-36TX - No HDMI/7.1Analog+Optical+Coax
From what I'm reading in order to enjoy up converted SDDVD I am going to have to buy some sort of an HDMI/component converter like the HD Fury 2. Is that correct? This will be my 1st BR. Thanks So Much
post #640 of 39391 Old 02-28-2009, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

Funny, I don't remember inviting you over. I know I owe you one, but since you betrayed the Anthem brotherhood, I no longer feel that obligation!

Inviting me over, I have one sitting in my family room.
post #641 of 39391 Old 02-28-2009, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete'sdad View Post

I've been lurking here since Sept. and now that we're getting close I have a question. First my equipment:
Toshiba 65HX81-No HDMI or DVI/Component Only/1080i
Pioneer Elite VSX-36TX - No HDMI/7.1Analog+Optical+Coax
From what I'm reading in order to enjoy up converted SDDVD I am going to have to buy some sort of an HDMI/component converter like the HD Fury 2. Is that correct? This will be my 1st BR. Thanks So Much

most if not all bd/dvd players can only upconvert via hdmi because of copyright protection. i believe sd dvd will be output as 480p via component. blu ray at 1080i.
post #642 of 39391 Old 02-28-2009, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:

Heck, it's in my brain (and on AVS) somewhere, but didn't we have to tweak 971 settings a bit too, reducing colour to -2?

Brightness and Contrast had to be adjusted on the OPDV971H due to the standard default settings varying from industry standard. These settings were discovered by end users, reported to OPPO, and OPPO always communicated with their customers the proper settings until they fixed it through firmware a subsequent firmware upgrade.

You see many of these issues with OPPO products. What is different from a lot of reported issues, is that OPPO generally fixes them. It may be a week later, it may be several months later, but many issues are resolved.

That is not to say they are perfect (all of their players still have problems) but the level at which they operate to fix issues higher than most CEs I have bought from.

Quote:

That said, things like, I dunno, not playing a disc without barfing would be in the "good to know" category...

These things are in a major case of flux, and it is possible that the firmware is not going through the entire QA processes (which is understandable, as if the firmware was always vetted through the highest levels of QA, Beta Testers would never get firmware to test) or it is passed through QA, issues are found, but the issues are minor compared to the overall integration of the player (ie. it is better to give us a slightly broken firmware and make progress elsewhere, than to give us nothing). For example, the current firmware has a penchant for not liking Fox Blu-ray discs. Office Space and French Connection now will not load, while Futurama and Firefly playback flawlessly. This will be quickly remedied, as the engineers were already aware of the issue.
post #643 of 39391 Old 02-28-2009, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

most if not all bd/dvd players can only upconvert via hdmi because of copyright protection. i believe sd dvd will be output as 480p via component. blu ray at 1080i.

You are correct!
post #644 of 39391 Old 02-28-2009, 04:29 PM

got the invite but because i was at work "on the road" and not answering my email, i missed my opportunity at the nifty fifty. i'm definitely humbled so hopefully i will become one of the "humble hundred." at the least we're very close to what we've been waiting for.
post #645 of 39391 Old 02-28-2009, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Oppo is not putting their firmware though their internal QA? I can't believe they are relying soley on their customers to find problems. This is very disturbing to me as I am in charge of an electronics manufacturing plant and I would never allow that to happen.

If this player can't play all the disks in reasonable condition like my Panny BD55 can, then it is going back pronto.

Hal
post #646 of 39391 Old 02-28-2009, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
[quote=

Thanks. (Oh, and someone find a damn BD Region Free hack, my wallet is waiting! )[/QUOTE]

As an intellectual property attorney, I don't think that would be a good idea. And it would REALLY be stupid to discuss it or brag about on an online discussion group such as this.

Jim Cate
post #647 of 39391 Old 02-28-2009, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by halsan40 View Post

Oppo is not putting their firmware though their internal QA? I can't believe they are relying soley on their customers to find problems. This is very disturbing to me as I am in charge of an electronics manufacturing plant and I would never allow that to happen.

If this player can't play all the disks in reasonable condition like my Panny BD55 can, then it is going back pronto.

just a thought...when you consider the canon of discs and individual java compatability issues, ironically the QA process might be more efficient by giving 50 random folks access to an incomplete product. Oppo is a small company and might struggle to identify each unique issue of tricky BD Java discs.
post #648 of 39391 Old 02-28-2009, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Oppo is not putting their firmware though their internal QA?

Let me clarify. They will still perform QA, but they will not certify the firmware. Right now the player is being stressed for specific concerns and issues. They may add in a feature, but break another in the processes. The broken feature is known, logged, and will be fixed at a later time, but the firmware is still released to ensure that the requested changes actually occurred.

Rinse repeat until all requested fixes and previously logged breaks are fixed.

This is always how the Beta Program has been done. Early Adoption Program users, to a certain extent, will be experiencing this processes. You are buying the player as is, warts and all. Your player will then blossom into its final form once the player is released to market.

Final production units will ship with official, finalized firmware that has already been completely vetted through all channels of the QA processes.
post #649 of 39391 Old 02-28-2009, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

This is what you signed up for. You should have "opt" out if you wanted the final product.
post #650 of 39391 Old 02-28-2009, 04:45 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 847
Quote:

Oppo is not putting their firmware though their internal QA?

He's talking about some of the "quick release" firmware updates the Beta testers receive. These are put out to do a sanity check on some particular fix without first subjecting the code to the entire QA process.

The real product releases are, of course, subjected to full QA. As time goes on, the QA gets progressively better, as does each new release.

I doubt the EAP owners will ever see any of these sanity check quick releases.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #651 of 39391 Old 02-28-2009, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Let me clarify. They will still perform QA, but they will not certify the firmware. Right now the player is being stressed for specific concerns and issues. They may add in a feature, but break another in the processes. The broken feature is known, logged, and will be fixed at a later time, but the firmware is still released to ensure that the requested changes actually occurred.

Rinse repeat until all requested fixes and previously logged breaks are fixed.

This is always how the Beta Program has been done. Early Adoption Program users, to a certain extent, will be experiencing this processes.

This is why we have the EAP.
post #652 of 39391 Old 02-28-2009, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Specifically, that is the point of the Beta Testing program that you do internally and externally.

Having an Early Adoption Program is just an easy means of increasing your testing pool and finding additional problems which could not be discovered due to limited resources.
post #653 of 39391 Old 02-28-2009, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Nuero,
Are the Beta testers running the same firmware as the EAP?

Dave
post #654 of 39391 Old 02-28-2009, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Dave

I am not sure he will say but someone let the cat out of the bag, and I think NO. Read a few postings on previous page.
post #655 of 39391 Old 02-28-2009, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Yes, at this junction, the players are identical. So we are free to discuss anything about the BDP-83.
post #656 of 39391 Old 02-28-2009, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrollens
Here are my Issues so far:

1. There are issues with transitioning from playing a Blu Ray disc to a SD disc. My TV says "No Signal" when I change from a Blu Ray disc to a SD disc.

This is using Source Direct? How do you get the DVD to play?

Quote:
3. Although the player boots up very quickly, it seems you need to wait a little longer before you can load a disc successfully.

What's happening during the wait? Is the disc loading with nothing on the screen? Are some faster than others?

Quote:
4. There seems to be an issue in keeping my memory settings in the Menu. On occasion my personal settings seem to revert back to default.

Does this happen with different settings? Which ones?

-Bill

Thank you Bill for asking. Here is a little more info on what I am experiencing with my BDP-83. Please reference the number above and the coresponding number below:

1. Using both Source Direct and 1080P resolutions now, I went back and reinserted my HDMI cable from the BDP-83 to my receiver, and the HDMI cable from the receiver and the TV, and I no longeer have this issue.

3. As you know, the BDP-83 does a near "instant on" when you turn it on. I was starting to load my disc almost immediately upon seeing the main screen light up. I think I was moving too quickly to get things started. Now when I turn on the BDP-83 I wait a little while for the player to fully boot up. No problems now.

4. Ill make a note next time on which setting does not stay in memory and report that to you.
post #657 of 39391 Old 02-28-2009, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

The NDA has not been completely lifted. We are free to discuss all features that the EAP units have, but there are still issues that we are not free to discuss.

The end result, though, is that there really are not too many things that we can't discuss.

Does he know this.
post #658 of 39391 Old 02-28-2009, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The BDP-83 is like all OPPO hardware. It needs to turn on everything before anything on the player becomes operational. This includes loader operations.

As for Celine Dion, what is your receiver?
post #659 of 39391 Old 02-28-2009, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD View Post

Does he know this.

NDA is in effect, but only for features and functions which are not a part of the Early Adoption Program. As it stands, there is no difference from our current Beta state and the Early Adoption Program state. This can and will change on a weekly basis, however.

Also, any functions which have not been disclosed, any conversations we have with OPPO or the other Beta participants, still fall under NDA.
post #660 of 39391 Old 02-28-2009, 05:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD View Post

Does he know this.

Yep.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags