Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 229 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #6841 of 39391 Old 04-07-2009, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have noticed that whenever I play any Blu-ray with DTS-HD MA- 5.1 my rear surrounds become active.
This doesn't happen with Dolby True HD though.
Anybody else experiencing this?

BDP-95 owner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6842 of 39391 Old 04-07-2009, 02:57 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by butchgo View Post

I have noticed that whenever I play any Blu-ray with DTS-HD MA- 5.1 my rear surrounds become active.

Typically this would happen because you have selected a "surround" audio processing mode in your receiver for that type of input -- e.g., PLIIx -- which raises 5.1 channel input to 7.1 speaker output.

Does your receiver decode DTS-HD MA? Are you using HDMI Bitstream or HDMI LPCM from the Oppo?
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #6843 of 39391 Old 04-07-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAUSGP View Post

I must admit that I have not had any problems with the BDP-83 other than the stated issues with DVD Audio. I will head home from the hospital soon to see what the new firmware fixes, but I am pretty sure it will fix the DVD-Audio issues I experienced and not the issues I had Sunday night.

I have run quite a few DVD-SD movies, SACDs, CDs and some DVDa discs after switching to lpcm thru the 83 without issue and up until Sunday night I had watched several Blu-ray movies without a single incident.

Then Sunday night I had a friend over to watch Gone Baby Gone. And had what can best be described as an INCIDENT with the BDP-83.

About half way in to the movie there is a scene by the old quarry where they are suppose to exchange money for the kid. From seemingly out of no where gun shots are heard. And I mean HEARD!

I have a 7.2 sound system with hybrid electrostatic speakers and SVS PB13 ultra Subs and an 800 watt per 7 channel amp.

The Gunshots were so loud, two pictures came off the wall and crashed to the floor breaking the glass in their frames, it startled my friend into tipping the chair over backwards where he hit his head on the floor and was knocked out cold. I kicked my leg off to the side and hit a heavy glass coffee table. My shin opened up and started to bleed and swell. I went down on the floor in pain.

My wife came in the room yelling and screaming about me being an idiot for firing a gun in the house and when she saw the blood, glass and my friend out cold on the floor and me on the ground writhing in pain....well I was lucky we did not end up with a 911 call and a full scale SWAT team at my house.

Although my friend and I are on the mend now and need no help from the latest OPPO firmware release. I am afraid my two rear channel woofers in my hybrid electrostats are a true casualty of the gunshots and are dead and gone for good. I called Martin Logan yesterday to order new woofers and today I took two picture frames in to get new glass. My wife is not speaking to me, and that is actually a good thing, thanks OPPO.

I am afraid if the BDP-83 improves much more via firmware then I will have to get my insurance policy deductibles re-written.

Bottom line, although I have read of some issues that other people have had with the BDP-83, based on my understanding of the 2nd EAP, the voting should be done on each of our own individual experiences and although I have endured physical pain and monetary loss testing the OPPO BDP-83, I will be voting yes tonight for its release. I see no reason for other people not to experience the joys and agonies that I have experienced at the hands of what is now MY OPPO BDP-83

Remember, in my opinion our votes should be based on our own individual experience, not what we read here at AVS. That is the only way for OPPO to get a grasp on the real percentages out there.

Now I will go put my flame suit on...although I can't seem to get it on over my right leg, the swelling is still too high. I guess I need to go back in to hydro-therapy for a little while longer. Maybe I will sit in the tub and watch a BD movie

Sorry for your injuries, but that is the funniest post I've read in ages!! Thanks for the laugh.

Ferrets are Family/ Ferrets Corner
post #6844 of 39391 Old 04-07-2009, 03:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by butchgo View Post

Some DTS tracks may cause this right now. OPPO is working on some things with DTS decoding still.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #6845 of 39391 Old 04-07-2009, 03:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

Hmm just scroll some random number of pages back and I'm sure you'll find it . It's Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band - Trouble Is.

Well I have Ledbetter Heights and Live On, but not Trouble Is, so I can't test it for you.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #6846 of 39391 Old 04-07-2009, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just hope I get a new player before I get the remastered Beatles CDs.

Mike Rife

The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also. -- Mark Twain

post #6847 of 39391 Old 04-07-2009, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I hope I get my player before my hearing and eyesight go!
post #6848 of 39391 Old 04-07-2009, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

I just ran a quick test playing the Kenny Wayne Shepherd HDCD with the HDMI output set to Bitstream and then again with it set to LPCM. In both cases, the HDCD indicater on my Denon AVP flickered and the audio stuttered. I can't figure out how to get the signal bit depth on the AVP for this digital source - I've posted a question in the AVP thread. If I'm able to find that information out, I'll post an update, but it would appear that the Oppo is not sending the expanded HDCD digital info to out the HDMI cable in either mode.

It would be most helpful if the AVP can show bit depth (word length) to see whether the 24bit output that Oppo says is sent via HDMI for HDCD output really is 24bit.

FWIW, with a non-HDCD capable Onkyo pre-pro, I'm getting perfect playback -- but I too cannot tell what the bit depth is, just the sample rate. Tested with: Grateful Dead Fillmore East 2-11-69 HDCD commercial release
post #6849 of 39391 Old 04-07-2009, 03:24 PM

For those that care, I know the OPPO was not at fault, I was a victim of an over the top soundtrack. But looking back, it was pretty funny, even though my friend didn't think so when he came to and my leg doesn't think so and my wife well she still isn't talking to me, but that is a good thing.

I just thought OPPO might come up with an idea for a new feature.

Maybe call it BD 9-1-1, anytime the LFE goes off the scale the BDP 83 could call 911 via the internet connection, just as a precaution.
post #6850 of 39391 Old 04-07-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanary73 View Post

At least let the rest of us that joined up for the EAP get first grab at them.

When I spoke to OPPO several weeks ago the SR clearly stated that those who expressed an interest in the BDP-83 would be given the first crack. This leads me to believe that before he general release we all should be sent an email offering the unit for sale ahead of the general public. (For what that's worth.)
post #6851 of 39391 Old 04-07-2009, 03:40 PM

New firmware is available for downloading now. Please check OPPO website for it!
It is quick and easy doing the upgrade via USB port.
post #6852 of 39391 Old 04-07-2009, 04:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:

For those that care, I know the OPPO was not at fault, I was a victim of an over the top soundtrack. But looking back, it was pretty funny, even though my friend didn't think so when he came to and my leg doesn't think so and my wife well she still isn't talking to me, but that is a good thing.

Maybe call it BD 9-1-1, anytime the LFE goes off the scale the BDP 83 could call 911 via the internet connection, just as a precaution.

Another good example of stealth gunshots is Mr Brooks. The first time he shoots someone the gunshots bring me right out of my chair. There are several other scenes where the gunfire is awesome too.
post #6853 of 39391 Old 04-07-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operon View Post

When I spoke to OPPO several weeks ago the SR clearly stated that those who expressed an interest in the BDP-83 would be given the first crack. This leads me to believe that before he general release we all should be sent an email offering the unit for sale ahead of the general public. (For what that's worth.)

I got the same response from Oppo. I didn't have the courage/patience to deal with the possible issues surrounding an EAP unit, so I figured I'd wait until the finished product was available. I contacted them and asked whether there would be some sort of advanced notice for those who expressed interest in the Oppo 83. I'm glad they're going to give first dibs to those who signed up for info on the 83 as I fear that these things will be back ordered not long after they become available to the public.
post #6854 of 39391 Old 04-07-2009, 04:15 PM

Liked: 13
The new firmware release fixed the slight stutter in the audio after resuming from pausing I'd encountered. Since this was the only error I've seen, I've voted "yes" for the release. Upscaled DVDs look at least as good as had been the case from using the 981HD; blu-ray discs look terrific; and the player is both fast and well-designed. I'm glad I waited to buy it.
post #6855 of 39391 Old 04-07-2009, 04:17 PM

Liked: 17
Well, I have what appears to be a bug I reported that still is not fixed. I applied the new firmware update today, reset to factory defaults, reconfigured the player.

I would like someone else who has this disc to try and verify this so I am not going crazy. On the Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds: Live at Radio City Blu-ray, I am still getting an audio dropout at around 1:29:30 into the program. I have the audio set to Bitstream to my Integra 7.8 (a.k.a. Onkyo 805), and I was listening to the Dolby TrueHD track. Someone else reported this too, so can you please check for me? I'd appreciate it. Kind of surprised the firmware update didn't fix this.

Also, on the Blue Man Group Audio DVD-A disc, I can't access a previous track. For example, I'll be listening to track 4 and want to skip backwards to track 3, so I press the corresponding button. Pressing it once restarts track 4 (as expected), but a second press gives the red "cannot perform this action" circle with a slash through it and then it just restarts track 4. Can anyone else test this for me?

I went back and checked, and the firmware update did "take" on my unit, it shows BDP83-18-0402.

Thanks for your help guys,
Tyler
post #6856 of 39391 Old 04-07-2009, 04:19 PM

Liked: 12
Pardon me if this has been covered. Apparently there are still some audio issues not fixed in the new firmware. Example: DTS Surround CD :Vince Gill (High Lonesome Sound). It sounds like the pitch of his voice is way too high on the OPPO. When I played in a Marantz BD8002, Vince sounded normal.
post #6857 of 39391 Old 04-07-2009, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrand1 View Post

Kind of surprised the firmware update didn't fix this.

You have way too high of expectations if you think that OPPO would be able to resolve an issue in less than a week. You reported the error on 3/30/2009. This firmware was created 4/2/2009.

Quote:

Can anyone else test this for me?

Check the first post, I already noted the errors associated to DVD-Audio, which includes not being able to use Skip Back.
post #6858 of 39391 Old 04-07-2009, 04:41 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

You have way too high of expectations if you think that OPPO would be able to resolve an issue in less than a week. You reported the error on 3/30/2009. This firmware was created 4/2/2009.

Check the first post, I already noted the errors associated to DVD-Audio, which includes not being able to use Skip Back.

When the firmware update said "on some Dolby TrueHD tracks" I thought the disc I reported might be one of them. No big deal, just putting it out there. Not going to e-mail Oppo, just thought maybe I did something wrong when I reinitialized the player. That's all...
post #6859 of 39391 Old 04-07-2009, 04:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

With respect to DVD-A and the chapter skip issues. I find that if the disc has it's own chapter skip arrows on screen, I can use those with no issues. Forwards and back.

I'll also note that the "Go-To" function for time search seems to more or less work on DVD-A. Also the bit meter is working on DVD-A.
post #6860 of 39391 Old 04-07-2009, 05:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Mathus View Post

Pardon me if this has been covered. Apparently there are still some audio issues not fixed in the new firmware. Example: DTS Surround CD :Vince Gill (High Lonesome Sound). It sounds like the pitch of his voice is way too high on the OPPO. When I played in a Marantz BD8002, Vince sounded normal.

DTS (non-HD) issues are known at Oppo, and are related to some work they are doing on the DTS decoder. So they're not really bugs, more side effects of some other work. There are other issues besides the Chipmunk effect on DTS-CDs. Mostly they are not noticed.
post #6861 of 39391 Old 04-07-2009, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Great story, but a little poetic license involved?

Joe
post #6862 of 39391 Old 04-07-2009, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

I understand the ABT chips are fantastic at deinterlacing. Does that mean if you have a 1080P display that only accepts 1080I that you are losing the ABT advantage? Also if true, I wonder if outputting 720P to the display and have the display upconvert to 1080P would be a better option?

Hal
post #6863 of 39391 Old 04-07-2009, 05:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halsan40 View Post

I understand the ABT chips are fantastic at deinterlacing. Does that mean if you have a 1080P display that only accepts 1080I that you are losing the ABT advantage? Also if true, I wonder if outputting 720P to the display and have the display upconvert to 1080P would be a better option?

SD-DVD is de-interlaced before scaling. If you are outputting 1080i then it will be re-interlaced after scaling. You are still getting the full benefit of the ABT magic. As to whether 720p or 1080i is best for your display, you will need to judge for yourself.
post #6864 of 39391 Old 04-07-2009, 05:14 PM

Well the firmware update did not fix Night at the Opera DVD-A disc. This disk still cannot be played.

The first "Chicago" DVD A album, defaults to root menu on front. Will not do anything after that. hit stop and first chapter indicator comes up , hit play and root menu appears again.

The audio warble as I now call it; when DVD - A disc starts playing is still there. Always appears at the very beginning of the disc. Only when using HDMI output. Its like the player and the Halcro cannot seem to get the audio in sync. happens ever time.

Detail and sound movement is better. The chipmunks are still there but not as bad.

"Days of Future passed" on DVD A loaded and immediately decided to play the last track ( track 8) rather then starting on the first track.

We have a ways to go with DVD A

If I was OPPO; I think I would release the 83 without DVD A support and work with us testers until they get it right. To many disc out there that are having issues playing and really to short a time table to "get it right"

Jim
post #6865 of 39391 Old 04-07-2009, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

SD-DVD is de-interlaced before scaling. If you are outputting 1080i then it will be re-interlaced after scaling. You are still getting the full benefit of the ABT magic. As to whether 720p or 1080i is best for your display, you will need to judge for yourself.

Thank you for your reply. I read somewhere that there is little difference with most DVD's between 1080P and 1080I outputs. I know my JVC Pro 70" was highly rated for its conversion to 1080P.

Hal
post #6866 of 39391 Old 04-07-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrand1 View Post

Well, I have what appears to be a bug I reported that still is not fixed. I applied the new firmware update today, reset to factory defaults, reconfigured the player.

I would like someone else who has this disc to try and verify this so I am not going crazy. On the Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds: Live at Radio City Blu-ray, I am still getting an audio dropout at around 1:29:30 into the program. I have the audio set to Bitstream to my Integra 7.8 (a.k.a. Onkyo 805), and I was listening to the Dolby TrueHD track. Someone else reported this too, so can you please check for me? I'd appreciate it. Kind of surprised the firmware update didn't fix this.

Also, on the Blue Man Group Audio DVD-A disc, I can't access a previous track. For example, I'll be listening to track 4 and want to skip backwards to track 3, so I press the corresponding button. Pressing it once restarts track 4 (as expected), but a second press gives the red "cannot perform this action" circle with a slash through it and then it just restarts track 4. Can anyone else test this for me?

I went back and checked, and the firmware update did "take" on my unit, it shows BDP83-18-0402.

Thanks for your help guys,
Tyler

Just loaded the FW. and for me the problem remains also. Same settings on my Denon 3808. Push stop and play, and the audio resumes; otherwise, it will play the remainder of the disc without audio.
post #6867 of 39391 Old 04-07-2009, 05:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halsan40 View Post

Thank you for your reply. I read somewhere that there is little difference with most DVD's between 1080P and 1080I outputs. I know my JVC Pro 70" was highly rated for its conversion to 1080P.

Yes. and yes. The JVC is very good. In fact, you should try feeding it 480p from the Oppo and see if it does as good with scaling.
post #6868 of 39391 Old 04-07-2009, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

With respect to DVD-A and the chapter skip issues. I find that if the disc has it's own chapter skip arrows on screen, I can use those with no issues. Forwards and back.

I am speaking specifically about the dedicated buttons on the remote control, and not the buttons available as part of the Menu.

Quote:

I'll also note that the "Go-To" function for time search seems to more or less work on DVD-A.

This feature is inconsistent and not usable. For some discs it will skip to the nearest (higher level) track. On other discs, it does nothing at all. The purpose of "Go-To" is to access a specific point on a disc, not to access a proximate time.

For this reason, I consider it "nonfunctional".

I'll update the language on the first post to reduce misinterpretations.
post #6869 of 39391 Old 04-07-2009, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

There can be no disc in the unit. That is the fault in your process.

Previous firmware allowed the player to be turned on (disc tray closed, but no disc in the tray) and the notification would appear.

But this is all moot, as all future firmware will require that the disc tray be ejected and remain ejected from the player.

Perhaps what might be missing in this "mystery" is the protocol for the player to go out to check for updates. In my case, the OPPO is offline unless it is turned on. I know this from looking at my network software; it tells me when any device enters the network.

First question is whether the OPPO is set up to phone home as soon as it is turned on or is there a prescribed regular time period for making update checks. In my case, I knew about the update when I turned the OPPO on and went straight to the menu for FW update. My guess is that the OPPO didn't have a chance to do its thing before I did it manually.

2nd round OPPO BDP-83 EAP Selectee
post #6870 of 39391 Old 04-07-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obie_fl View Post

Mark69 - I have all but one or two of those DVD-As and will check as well. In the mean time have you tried switching between 5.1 and 2.0 with the remote audio button? It sounds like some of what you are experiencing is just menu issues which are known. The Neil Young is interesting I'm pretty sure I have the On the Beach title and will give it a check.

I definitely tried the audio button on the Elvis one since it was obvious that there are 2 layers. The Neil Young Hawks and Doves only has 2 ch so I didn't try the audio button. I should try it on the On the Beach since it has 2 layers.

Thanks for the tip if it works I will let you know.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Oppo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page