Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 275 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #8221 of 39352 Old 04-25-2009, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Since I upgraded the firmware today I've noticed that after playing a cd and then popping in a SACD it will not play until I turn on my tv. Awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8222 of 39352 Old 04-25-2009, 11:46 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by synthfreek View Post

Since I upgraded the firmware today I've noticed that after playing a cd and then popping in a SACD it will not play until I turn on my tv. Awesome.

After turning on the TV to get the SACD to play, will it continue playing when you then turn off the TV (ignoring the second or two for the new HDMI handshake)?
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #8223 of 39352 Old 04-25-2009, 11:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:

Handshake issue. I cannot reproduce that here. If you have SACD playback set for DSD, change to PCM and try again. For some reason your AVR is not re-handshaking the player when the audio output changes. An alternative might be to power cycle the player.
post #8224 of 39352 Old 04-25-2009, 11:51 AM

I'm using analog outs.
post #8225 of 39352 Old 04-25-2009, 11:52 AM

HDMI only for video.
post #8226 of 39352 Old 04-25-2009, 11:52 AM

And the SACD continues if I turn the tv off.
post #8227 of 39352 Old 04-25-2009, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
OK things have been extremely tight around here so I've only had a tiny bit of time to try out the new FW. I only checked four DVD-As that I had issues with previously. The good news is there was quite a bit of improvement, the bad news is all four discs still have issues. On to the four discs under review.

Beatles "Love" - Yes the first several tracks now play seamlessly. Unfortunately if you listen all the way up to around track 20 transition errors return In fact when it went from Revolution to Back in the USSR all I got was silence but the counter kept going. Indexing back allowed the offending track to play.

Neil Young "On the Beach" - Still doesn't play.

The Talking Heads "Speaking in Tongues" - The menus now work except when I select play it goes to the track screen, counts up to two and freezes. Previously it would go back to the Oppo screen. The good news is now you can hit stop and then resume and the track will start to play.

The Talking Heads "Songs About Buildings and Food" Same as above.

I did not get a chance to test any CDs, SDVDs or BDs. I'm still debating whether to change my No vote to a Yes. I have to admit the continued reported problems with CDs is troubling although I have not had a chance to duplicate the issues. Well here is hoping there is one more update for the general release machines.
post #8228 of 39352 Old 04-25-2009, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec325 View Post

I see Larry has been using his eraser again Sorry I was part of the problem

Just trying to keep things focused on player issues and minimize repetitive discussion/questions.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #8229 of 39352 Old 04-25-2009, 12:02 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

I'm using analog outs.

So you are using Analog audio output and HDMI video output.

As suggested above, confirm that SACD audio is set to PCM, and see if that makes a difference.

Does the problem only seem to happen when you transition from CD to SACD playback? For example, if you power up the Oppo with the TV turned off, and the first disc you play is an SACD, does it play normally?
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #8230 of 39352 Old 04-25-2009, 12:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

HDMI only for video.

If the HDMI is going through your AVR, it's still a handshake issue. Power cycling either the player or AVR will resolve it, and perhaps just changing inputs and back again on the AVR would too. And again, if you're using DSD, try PCM.
It's a lot easier to help troubleshoot if we don't have to play 20 questions.
post #8231 of 39352 Old 04-25-2009, 12:17 PM

Switching to PCM fixed the snag. Am I losing anything with the change? HDMI only going directly to the tv. Sorry for the 3 or 4 questions.
post #8232 of 39352 Old 04-25-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnath View Post

I'm in the EAP2 and gave the BDP 83 a yes vote today - this is my first post....I may be a little off topic here, but I couldn't figure out any other place to post where I'd find BDP 83 owners ...I have a question for anyone in the EAP that might have the new Jeff Beck live Blu-ray disc - I finally had a chance to watch it this evening and was shocked at how lousy the picture quality was - so bad , in fact, I'm wondering whether I have a "bad" disc.
Every other Blu-ray I've played over the last month or so has looked amazing. After playing part of the JB disc, I put on several regular concert DVDs, and they all looked at least as good overall, and mostly better, which makes no sense to me, even with the excellent up-conversion in the Oppo. I realize some discs won't look as good as others ( I've actually produced a couple of music DVDs, so I know all the variables that can occur) but the motion blur and lack of clarity in the JB blu-ray is disconcerting , to say the least. I've read nothing but great reviews about this title, and so I wanted to hear from anyone here that has the disc and could report on their thoughts about the quality. I thought about seeing if I could make some screen shots, but it's almost impossible for me to find a non-blurry frame to pause on.... My regular DVDs on the other hand, are nice and sharp in comparison - At one point I thought maybe a DVD was packaged by accident in the Blu-ray box...no such luck
Anyway, I consider myself a relatively knowledgeable person when it comes to video, but this just seems weird to me..I'd like to know if it's just me, or does anyone else see the "lack" of quality I'm seeing?
By the way, using the Oppo with HDMI direct into a Sony XBR6, if that helps..

Thanks,
Lloyd

I am a BDP-83 EAP 300 and have this "Jeff Beck Live at Ronnie Scott's" Blu-ray Disc. I agree with your assesment of the video quality of this particular title. I'm running HDMI direct through the HM-31 switch to a Pioneer PRO-111FD.
It does seam you know more about video production than I but I'll take a stab at why you are seeing motion blur as I see it. There is only a couple cameras used in this closed setting and some rookies running them, trying to do too much. Throughout the disc the focus is off, as if in auto mode the camera could not lock into anything such as Beck's opaqu Strat. Also when panning from one musican closeup to another while dialing out the zoom the motion blur is created by the objects already being out of focus, and as your eyes try to shift from one element to another it just looks bad. I could be wrong but this is what I wrote it off too. Its not the BDP-83. Its the disc production but not so horrible I wont watch it another 50 times.
Also note this title is shot in 1080i. I have no problem using the BDP-83 upconversion to 1080p before sending the signal to the 111 but just to make sure I sent it "Source Dicrect" and came up with the same results. Pure Cinema settings in the 111 had no effect on this visual error.
What Beck needs is a couple of the 21 cameras used to film Rush's Snakes and Arrows. Then...!!

mopar
post #8233 of 39352 Old 04-25-2009, 12:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Switching to PCM fixed the snag. Am I losing anything with the change? HDMI only going directly to the tv. Sorry for the 3 or 4 questions.

HDMI is always a mixed bag of potential issues. Even going direct to the display will force handshaking and open the possibility for failed handshakes. It's even possible that with the display connected, the player is forced into PCM mode regardless of the DSD setting. Be sure HDMI audio is turned off. IF you want to use DSD to multichannel analog, you might be forced to power cycle the player when switching audio types. DSD should not be used for stereo analog outputs.
post #8234 of 39352 Old 04-25-2009, 12:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obie_fl View Post

The Talking Heads "Speaking in Tongues" - The menus now work except when I select play it goes to the track screen, counts up to two and freezes. Previously it would go back to the Oppo screen. The good news is now you can hit stop and then resume and the track will start to play.

You might try just hitting skip-back to re-start the track. I have a DVD-A that does this and that fix works. Oppo is having to fix these DVD-A bugs one disc at a time, since there is no discernible standard for DVD-A navigation.
post #8235 of 39352 Old 04-25-2009, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 37
It's hard to believe that there are still 35 people from the EAP Round 1 who haven't voted.

I, myself, have only had a couple of issues with the latest firmware. I feel that it's time to release this player.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #8236 of 39352 Old 04-25-2009, 12:33 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

It's hard to believe that there are still 35 people from the EAP Round 1 who haven't voted.

I, myself, have only had a couple of issues with the latest firmware. I feel that it's time to release this player.

I suspect a number of EAP-1 owners don't realize Oppo would like them to vote again on the EAP-2 page. They may think their EAP-1 vote is carrying over to EAP-2 by default.
--Bob

post #8237 of 39352 Old 04-25-2009, 01:20 PM

Regarding the Jeff Beck disc - thank you for all the responses..
Bob, I appreciate the info - I tried setting the de-interlacing from the TV and also the Oppo - my set-up on the Oppo since I've been using it is Auto for de-interlacing and set at 1080P - I haven't tried Source Direct because I assumed the Oppo would do a better job of de-interlacing the the Sony - also, yes , I fooled around with the "motion" processing (I usually have it set to the minimum or off ) and it made a subtle difference, not really better OR worse...
Looking at my post from last night, I realize I didn't mention the worst thing I'm seeing on this disc, which in fact might be caused by bad de-interlacing... what I called "motion blur" IS there ( mopar426 has it right, I think, with the cause of this), but the stranger thing is the "stuttering" I see- it reminds me of what it looks like while watching some PAL dvds being converted to NTSC - looks like a frame or frames being dropped every ,say, 10 seconds or so - this is the first disc I've seen this on using the Oppo.... this IS the first 1080i disc I've watched, although I've looked at plenty of DVDs on the set ( and come to think of it, I sometimes would see a "stutter " on these also, but VERY infrequently..) I find it hard to believe the Oppo would be having a problem with this , but I think I'm set up for the Oppo to be doing the de-interlacing ( Auto and 1080P ), but the TV must be doing something else, also (?)
I'll be borrowing a friends DVD version to compare, and I will take my disc and check out another player and TV to see how it works..

Thanks again for the info, any other thoughts, I'm open to them,

Lloyd
post #8238 of 39352 Old 04-25-2009, 01:28 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Regarding the Jeff Beck disc - thank you for all the responses..
Bob, I appreciate the info - I tried setting the de-interlacing from the TV and also the Oppo - my set-up on the Oppo since I've been using it is Auto for de-interlacing and set at 1080P - I haven't tried Source Direct because I assumed the Oppo would do a better job of de-interlacing the the Sony - also, yes , I fooled around with the "motion" processing (I usually have it set to the minimum or off ) and it made a subtle difference, not really better OR worse...
Looking at my post from last night, I realize I didn't mention the worst thing I'm seeing on this disc, which in fact might be caused by bad de-interlacing... what I called "motion blur" IS there ( mopar426 has it right, I think, with the cause of this), but the stranger thing is the "stuttering" I see- it reminds me of what it looks like while watching some PAL dvds being converted to NTSC - looks like a frame or frames being dropped every ,say, 10 seconds or so - this is the first disc I've seen this on using the Oppo.... this IS the first 1080i disc I've watched, although I've looked at plenty of DVDs on the set ( and come to think of it, I sometimes would see a "stutter " on these also, but VERY infrequently..) I find it hard to believe the Oppo would be having a problem with this , but I think I'm set up for the Oppo to be doing the de-interlacing ( Auto and 1080P ), but the TV must be doing something else, also (?)
I'll be borrowing a friends DVD version to compare, and I will take my disc and check out another player and TV to see how it works..

Thanks again for the info, any other thoughts, I'm open to them,

Lloyd

Try turning 1080p/24 OFF in the Oppo. Also look for a setting that might be forcing 1080p/24 processing in your display for the Oppo input. Compare to whatever settings you are using for normal, 1080i, HDTV viewing of live content such as talk shows.

What you are describing with the Jeff Beck disc is what you would get if you forced the video-rate content on this disc into the 24fps film rate. There's no clean way to do that (i.e., no way to decide which frames to drop when going from 30fps (or 60fps) to 24fps when the content was originally recorded at video rates). So you are guaranteed to get stutter if you force that. 24fps can only work correctly on content that was originally recorded at 24fps in the first place -- film-based content.

Now it is not supposed to be possible to make the Oppo incorrectly output /24 from a video-based Blu-Ray disc, so if it is the Oppo that is doing this then you have found a bug (unlikely due to the other reports here of correct playback). But you may very well have a setting in your display which is forcing it to try to convert this 1080i/60 video-rate content into film-rate. And that could very well be the root cause of all your problems with this disc.

ETA: Another thought. There are some TVs out there that only accept 1080p/24 -- not 1080p/60. If your set is like that, then you may need to play this disc at 1080i or 720p output from the Oppo. I don't recall Sonys being mentioned in this regard, but some of the Pioneer plasma panels from a couple years ago were like that.
--Bob

post #8239 of 39352 Old 04-25-2009, 02:12 PM

Quick reply to Bob re: Jeff Beck disc - turning off 1080P/24 in Oppo along with all motion "enhancing" seems to have finally done away with the stuttering I was seeing - My Sony converts all signals to 1080P, so was I in effect "converting" the signal twice by having the Oppo set to 1080P/24..? Should I be leaving the Oppo setting OFF (even for 1080P content) for all viewing since my TV is automatically converting to 1080P internally? Or will I need to switch the setting depending on content? Am I understanding this correctly?
Thanks again for your help - great information...

Lloyd
post #8240 of 39352 Old 04-25-2009, 02:48 PM

Liked: 25
I just posted my yes. I didn't want to post too quickly before I had a time to run it through multiple paces. At this time I believe the few errors I had noticed have been fixed with the latest firmware. I've been blown away with this piece and can now say I'm a die hard Oppo fan.
post #8241 of 39352 Old 04-25-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aluminumangel View Post

Back to hardware... any EAPers with a Panasonic PT-AE3000U projector care to comment on implementation with the BD-83? Any quirks or general gotchas?

I have the AE2000U and the Oppo works great with it for both Bluray and SD-DVD, including 1080/24p.
post #8242 of 39352 Old 04-25-2009, 02:51 PM

I read page one, but not sure. I am waiting for the 83 release like many others. I was talking to Magnolia Hi Fi about the Denon 3808ci receiver as that is the receiver I would like to get. They said in order to send home videos and pictures from my Computer to the receiver, then to the TV I would need to get a media Extender ( they recomendeda X Box) with a media extender then all I would have to run is a Ethernet cable. Can the Oppo 83 act as a Media Extender?

Again, what I want to do is transfer pic's, home movies, I-Tunes and Internet radio to the receiver then pics to the TV. ( The TV is a Panasonic 65 11UK)

Thanks Bob Hanson
post #8243 of 39352 Old 04-25-2009, 03:08 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Quick reply to Bob re: Jeff Beck disc - turning off 1080P/24 in Oppo along with all motion "enhancing" seems to have finally done away with the stuttering I was seeing - My Sony converts all signals to 1080P, so was I in effect "converting" the signal twice by having the Oppo set to 1080P/24..? Should I be leaving the Oppo setting OFF (even for 1080P content) for all viewing since my TV is automatically converting to 1080P internally? Or will I need to switch the setting depending on content? Am I understanding this correctly?
Thanks again for your help - great information...

Lloyd

You should be able to leave the Oppo on 1080p/24 Auto. When playing a video-based disc like this it is not supposed to do the frame rate conversion. I.e., for this disc, 1080p/24 Auto, On, and Off should all produce the same result as Off.

If you have the Oppo set to 1080p output, that means you should be getting 1080p/60 from this disc and 1080p/24 from movie-rate discs.

In your display, you want a setting that will display 1080p/24 input at a multiple of 24 fps (i.e., 48, 72, 120) while still displaying 1080p/60 input at a multiple of 60 (i.e., 60, 120) WITHOUT trying to convert it to 24fps first. Depending on how easy your Sony makes it to set this up, you may or may not be able to find a completely automatic combo of settings. If you are having trouble finding settings that work, check in the appropriate Sony display owner's thread here.
--Bob

post #8244 of 39352 Old 04-25-2009, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

...I have a question for anyone in the EAP that might have the new Jeff Beck live Blu-ray disc - I finally had a chance to watch it this evening and was shocked at how lousy the picture quality was - so bad , in fact, I'm wondering whether I have a "bad" disc.

I realize some discs won't look as good as others but the motion blur and lack of clarity in the JB blu-ray is disconcerting , to say the least. I've read nothing but great reviews about this title, and so I wanted to hear from anyone here that has the disc and could report on their thoughts about the quality. Anyway, I consider myself a relatively knowledgeable person when it comes to video, but this just seems weird to me..I'd like to know if it's just me, or does anyone else see the "lack" of quality I'm seeing?

hmmm, this is very interesting, now I can't wait to watch this BD title.

I just purchased this new "Jeff Beck- Live At Ronnie Scott's" myself. I have owned the CD version for the last few months and have been very impressed with the overall "live" recording. Stunning if you ask me. After playing this CD the first time I could'nt put it down, I played it every day. Even my up-stairs neighbor asked me "who I was playing?".

The music is executed and captured very well in this appearance. Very clean and dynamic sound quality. The mix of compositions is wonderful, played by a group of some of the best musicians currently on the scene, including- Vinnie Colaiuta, drums (probably the best there is right now) and Tal Wilkenfeld, bass (hot young lady, has toured with Prince and many other hot musicians, she can lay it down)
http://www.talwilkenfeld.com
Probably one of the best Jeff Beck performances I've heard.

So when I saw the BD release of this "live" performance I was totally excited and purchased it immediately. Will watch it this weekend and get back with my immpressions of video quality...........
post #8245 of 39352 Old 04-25-2009, 03:41 PM

Bob,
I'll check on my LCD - I've not found any output options on the TV - I think it has an automatic 1080P output, and I see no options for frame rates etc. on the set or in the manual. Reviews say the XBR6 series does well in de-interlacing tests with both film and video based content, so who knows - maybe there's just something about this disc that doesn't work for me ... The Oppo has been wonderful on everything I've thrown at it, besides this disc. At least the "stuttering " is gone now,
Appreciate the help..

Lloyd
post #8246 of 39352 Old 04-25-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

This is pretty well documented in this thread. It generally requires a power-off cycle to make the player stop doing that once it has started.

What firmware revision are you using? If that's 0417, did you follow the instructions for flashing and doing a re-set of defaults? Did you power cycle the player after re-entering all your settings?

Woops, I forgot to do a re-set of defaults. I did that and now the first CD I tried runs at the correct speed.

Don't get in my way as I zip on over the OPPO's site and change my vote; woohoo!

Joe Cole
BDP-83 EAP 300 Member

You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows - Robert Zimmerman
post #8247 of 39352 Old 04-25-2009, 04:06 PM

Wonder if definitely need to reset the player after firmware update. Appears it is not necessary. Any comment?
post #8248 of 39352 Old 04-25-2009, 04:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 102
If it says to in the firmware update instructions, then yes, you need to rest to default. Just today, someone got confused and had problems because they did not do it.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #8249 of 39352 Old 04-25-2009, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonk View Post

First, the only reason to set the resolution to 720p or 1080i is to make use of HDMI for the audio output - you need the video resolution set that high to get enough video bandwidth that the audio bandwidth (which can't be higher than the video bandwidth) can handle multichannel PCM. If you use multichannel analog output, the resolution makes no difference whatsoever.

Second, all video outputs are active all the time. Composite and s-video can only be 480i, so that is always what they output. If you have a display that can only accept a 480i signal, you can use one of those. I do this with my 980H, which is in a two-channel music setup in the living room and has a small LCD monitor hooked up via composite.

Does that work for your case?

gonk,
Can you confirm if when watching a BD @ 1080p the composite outputs 480i at the same time? So basically the player is "down scaling" to 480i over composite at all times, no matter what resolution of the source size and is set to for HDMI.

Thanks
post #8250 of 39352 Old 04-25-2009, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

+1. Sad at this point.

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags