Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 84Likes

post #811 of 39890 Old 03-01-2009, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I think it is a credit to the EAP winners that have not, as of yet, been AVS Forum members, but since being selected for Oppo's Early-Adopter Program have signed up for Forum membership and are anxious and willing to contribute to this thread. It even seems we have a significantly higher percentage of them contributing their system set-up info to Neuro's post #2 than long-time Forum members that have likewise been selected for the EAP. I have not really been keeping count, but it seems that there are at least 4+ EAP selectees that fit into this group that have posted so far. Congrats, Kudos, and Welcome to the Forum !!! And, thanks for your participation !!!

-- da Choge

BDP-83 EAP (second group)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 39890 Old 03-01-2009, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 179
I blame the long running members of the forum fear of being mocked at when it comes to their equipment (hell, look at some of the backlash gonk received for his review because his television is only 40"). The new users have not yet learned "equipment" shame.

You should never feel ashamed of your purchases. We all work within our economic means. There will always be people who have bigger, better, and more expensive equipment.
post #813 of 39890 Old 03-01-2009, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson View Post

Please somebody else say it isn't 'warm'. I hate anything that has coloration like that. ESPECIALLY 'oh so warm'.

'oh so warm' implies rolled off, lacking in detail, flat sounding, veiled, put a blanket over the speakers, and a bunch of other bad things.

Usually warm refers to emphasis on mid or lower frequencies, but not lacking in detail, veiled, or flat sounding. Usually this is highly desirable compared to a flat sound or bright sound (emphasis on higher frequencies).

Oppo Beta Group
post #814 of 39890 Old 03-01-2009, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

That reminds me of The Tick. The Tick is fighting The Breadmaster and becomes absorbed into a large loaf of bread. The Tick starts to roll up in the fetal position and says sleepily, "So warm ... like mother's womb".

Warm always carries a "pleasant" meaning to it.
post #815 of 39890 Old 03-01-2009, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

You should never feel ashamed of your purchases. We all work within our economic means. There will always be people who have bigger, better, and more expensive equipment.

Well Said!

BDP-83 EAP (second group)
post #816 of 39890 Old 03-01-2009, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Bob Pariseau's statements are absolutely correct (which is why I left it to him).

I am one of those paranoid types, so I try to leave as much processing out of the player as possible. So even when I have done testing on my friends Pioneer Elite 151, I always had Deep Color off.

Which leads to the question:

With your setup what have you found to be the best for de-interlacing and scaling?

The Reon in the Integra 9.8, the VP 50 or the Gennum chip in the Optoma 81?

The obvious query for all here, how does the ABT solution in the 83 stand up?

Inquiring minds need to know.

This thread is off to a great start.

Bob P., great stuff.

Thanks all.

Joe
post #817 of 39890 Old 03-01-2009, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Well in that case, here's my humble setup, for future reference:

- Mitsubishi HC1500 DLP projector (720p)
- 92" screen
- harman/kardon 247 AVR (thinking of replacing with a 254)
- OPPO 983 (currently)
- OPPO BDP-83 (on the way)
- Onkyo SKS-HT540 7.1 speaker set
- Dish Network ViP 722 DVR (HD)
- Nintendo Wii

There is only an HDMI cable running between the AVR and the projector. The 983 connects to the AVR only via HDMI. The ViP 722 connects via both HDMI and fiber optical since I couldn't get audio to work over HDMI for some mysterious reason that no one has been able to figure out. The Wii is connected via component.

I will be having the BDP-83 do decoding of the HD audio internally. Unfortunately my 247 is unable to matrix 5.1 LPCM to 7.1 like it can for DVD audio formats so I will be losing that feature, hence the consideration of the 254 to replace it. But the 254 has other issues, hence my hesitation.

It's too bad I can't enjoy my new BD player in all its 1080p glory yet but 1080p projectors are outside my budget. Selling my 983 to fund the BDP-83 is one thing, a $2K purchase minus whatever I could get for my HC1500 is something else entirely.

"Your" isn't the same as "you're". "There", "their" and "they're" are also not the same. Please learn the difference.

And... it's "couldn't care less". Thank you. :)
post #818 of 39890 Old 03-01-2009, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I blame the long running members of the forum fear of being mocked at when it comes to their equipment (hell, look at some of the backlash gonk received for his review because his television is only 40"). The new users have not yet learned "equipment" shame.

Absolutely true. We all have this HT addiction, and we all would love a HT room with a 150" screen and a zillion speakers. But we must balance this with financial reality.
My house doesn't lend itself to a FP HT so I am hoping that some company makes a direct view or RPTV larger than the 70" JVC Pro that I currently have.
The Panny 103" Plasma would do wonders for my HT, but its price is not within my budget.

Hal
post #819 of 39890 Old 03-01-2009, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco70 View Post

With your setup what have you found to be the best for de-interlacing and scaling?

The Reon in the Integra 9.8, the VP 50 or the Gennum chip in the Optoma 81?

The VP50 at this point in the game is used as a switch to my projector, the Integra DTC-9.8 is set to Through (no processing), and I output 1080p/60Hz from the BDP-83 (the Optoma HD81 suffers from juddering as a product design, so there is no advantage to actually using 1080p/24Hz). I also directly connect to the projector, completely bypassing the processor box of the Optoma HD81, as the picture controls on that thing are pretty wonky

So here is my signal chain:

DV-980H (HDMI) -> VP50 -> Optoma HD-81 Direct
DV-983H (HDMI) -> Integra DTC-9.8 -> VP50 -> Optoma HD-81 Direct
PlayStation 3 (HDMI) -> Integra DTC-9.8 -> VP50 -> Optoma HD-81 Direct
BDP-83 (HDMI) -> Integra DTC-9.8 -> VP50 -> Optoma HD-81 Direct

I do switch to the 1080p/24Hz testing as well. When I do that, I use Source Direct on the BDP-83, change the VP50 to "1080p/24Hz (Unlocked) and manually connect the VP50 HDMI lead into the processing box of the Optoma HD-81. A bit of a pain in the ass, but I'll do anything for the sake of product testing.
Quote:

The obvious query for all here, how does the ABT solution in the 83 stand up?

All de-interlacing and scaling is done through the BDP-83. The reason for this is that the performance of the BDP-83 is pretty much identical to that of the VP50. I tried using the Integra DTC-9.8 for de-interlacing (DVD) and scaling, but I could not really see any difference in picture quality between it, the BDP-83, and the VP50.
post #820 of 39890 Old 03-01-2009, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well said Neuromancer.

You watch a Donnie Yen movie to watch what Donnie does best - kick-ass!
post #821 of 39890 Old 03-01-2009, 05:43 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 947
Quote:

The new users have not yet learned "equipment" shame.

Part of the "cringe factor" of being a Beta tester for the Oppo was that you had to reveal the details of the rest of your setup in a way that all the other Beta testers could read.

To the credit of the Beta testing group, there was very little pointing and laughing that resulted...

--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #822 of 39890 Old 03-01-2009, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quite so, of course your equipment list is rather nice. BTW what size screen are you using?

I hope gonk took no offense at the question about size.

Now, where o where is Smarty Pants? He should be here enjoying this. The last thread seemed to be crimping his style.
post #823 of 39890 Old 03-01-2009, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Part of the "cringe factor" of being a Beta tester for the Oppo was that you had to reveal the details of the rest of your setup in a way that all the other Beta testers could read.

Well, it was not required (just as it is not here). It just makes talking about issues easier when you can look at an equipment reference list. It gets a bit annoying seeing the "what television/receiver are you using?" every time an issue occurs.
Quote:

To the credit of the Beta testing group, there was very little pointing and laughing that resulted...

It is hard to fault other beta testers when you see some of the monstrous setups some people had. It would be like a bunch of people showing off their Porsche CaymanS, Aston Martin DB9, and Maserati GT, then some guy pulls up in his Bugatti Veyron. You are utterly defeated, no matter what you say.
post #824 of 39890 Old 03-01-2009, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco70 View Post

Quite so, of course your equipment list is rather nice.

Well, you have to remember, that for the longest time I was using a 27" CRT (S-Video was the best I had) until the Spring of 2006. I got a good deal on the VP50 and Optoma HD78 at that time.

My receiver, Pioneer Elite VSX-54TX, was not enhanced until I bought the Integra DTC-9.8 December 2007.

So I have nice equipment now, but it took me years to finally upgrade.

Quote:

BTW what size screen are you using?

I am throwing a 77" projection from a 10 foot seating distance.
post #825 of 39890 Old 03-01-2009, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroenen View Post

Well said Neuromancer.

I second that!
post #826 of 39890 Old 03-01-2009, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The VP50 at this point in the game is used as a switch to my projector, the Integra DTC-9.8 is set to Through (no processing), and I output 1080p/60Hz from the BDP-83 (the Optoma HD81 suffers from juddering as a product design, so there is no advantage to actually using 1080p/24Hz). I also directly connect to the projector, completely bypassing the processor box of the Optoma HD81, as the picture controls on that thing are pretty wonky

So here is my signal chain:

DV-980H (HDMI) -> VP50 -> Optoma HD-81 Direct
DV-983H (HDMI) -> Integra DTC-9.8 -> VP50 -> Optoma HD-81 Direct
PlayStation 3 (HDMI) -> Integra DTC-9.8 -> VP50 -> Optoma HD-81 Direct
BDP-83 (HDMI) -> Integra DTC-9.8 -> VP50 -> Optoma HD-81 Direct

I do switch to the 1080p/24Hz testing as well. When I do that, I use Source Direct on the BDP-83, change the VP50 to "1080p/24Hz (Unlocked) and manually connect the VP50 HDMI lead into the processing box of the Optoma HD-81. A bit of a pain in the ass, but I'll do anything for the sake of product testing.

All de-interlacing and scaling is done through the BDP-83. The reason for this is that the performance of the BDP-83 is pretty much identical to that of the VP50. I tried using the Integra DTC-9.8 for de-interlacing (DVD) and scaling, but I could not really see any difference in picture quality between it, the BDP-83, and the VP50.

Thanks,

More complicated than most would like.

But you're not most.

Joe
post #827 of 39890 Old 03-01-2009, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Well, it gets even more complicated when I am doing specific testing (particularly Delay issues) but I am more willing to waste a couple of minutes of my time to test something for OPPO. Feedback is very valuable to them, so minor inconveniences are easily ignored. It is especially refreshing when you see OPPO actively fixing issues because of your hard work.
post #828 of 39890 Old 03-01-2009, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKBFourEight View Post

Yesterday I emailed Oppo the following questions:...

3. Many small resellers and custom installers are not listed on our website, but are fully authorized to sell our products. For Canada, OnlyBestRated.com and SolutionsAV.ca are the only two retailers available.

Going to bug the OBR guys tomorrow (I've bought all my Oppos through them) and see if we can do a group buy and convince Oppo to free up units for the CDN market... I'll let you know how it goes....

Anyone else interested, let me know...

post #829 of 39890 Old 03-01-2009, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I think I saw that you can change format/resolution (ie: stereo or multichannel, 96/192kHz, etc.) on SACD's without using a video monitor, as in the front panel display leads you through properly. Has there been any word that'll be the case when DVD-Audio comes onboard? My Marantz universal player is a real pain in the butt in this regard.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
post #830 of 39890 Old 03-01-2009, 06:21 PM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Hello fellow BDP-83 owners.
For me this was a fairly simple decision. I was using a Panasonic BD-30 for Bluray, Toshiba XA2 for HD-DVD and Std DVD movies and A Pioneer Elite DV-59Avi for Redbook CD and DVD music (SACD and DVD-Audio) all connected to my SSP via HDMI. The Panasonic and Pioneer are now for sale and the BDP-83 and XA2 will be staying.

In the short time I have had the BDP-83 it is doing everything I need it to do and doing it well. I am not using any of the A or V processing at this point but will be exploring that more in the coming weeks. I know I may have to wait a bit for DVD-A support but that is a minor concern. All indications are this is a very well thought out and constructed player that provides someone like me the form and function to do virtually all of the source work in my HT with the exception of HD-DVD.

I am using the single HDMI cable to the SSP via bitstream and all formats are sounding and looking great. Load times are much better than the BD-30 or XA2 and about equal to the Elite. SD DVD looks as good if not a bit better than either the XA2 or Elite. SACD and my red book CD’s all sound as good as ever.

I have dual displays in my HT and the HDMI switching has been fast enough and I was able to down load the codes for my Harmony 890 RF Remote last night. Really, I can’t find anything wrong with this unit but I’ll keep looking.

My equip list is:
Electronics:
- Integra 9.8 (SSP)
- Sunfire TGA 7400 (amp)
- QSC 2500 (Sub amp)
- Toshiba XA2 (HD-DVD)
- OPPO BDP-83 (everything else)
- Comcast HD-DVR
- Velodyne SMS-1 (Subwoofer EQ)

Speakers
- JTR Triple 12LF’s (LCR)
- Revel I-30 (in-wall surrounds)
- Danley TH-SPUD passive subwoofers (2)

Displays
- Panasonic TH-58PH10UK (Plasma)
- JVC HD-100 (Projector)
- Stewart StudioTek 130 (106" powered)

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #831 of 39890 Old 03-01-2009, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Updated Hardware Corner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

Really, I can’t find anything wrong with this unit but I’ll keep looking.

I hear that if you do not find at least one thing wrong with the player, OPPO will personally come to your house and remove the BDP-83.
post #832 of 39890 Old 03-01-2009, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Neuro, good point about equipment shame... Lord knows I've spent decades now building up my system, from a very humble begining to something that while my friends/partner think I'm totally nuts, I know is a far cry from some of the mega setups around here.

That said, I know my system, know its every quirk, know its shortcomings and its highlights. I just bought a house today (talking about that on the DefTech forum) and part of the fun will be to own a place where the HT will have a much bigger space (moving from 10x14 to 14x21), where speakers that have been far too close together will finally get to sing. But in the end, we all, even those with the 27" CRT, have systems that we watch things on we love.

That said, there -is- something to be said for knowing what you're missing... Be it in the HTIB patron who complains that lossless audio is a waste, or that BD is useless when you have a non-HD set. Patience and humilty can go both ways, I'd like to suggest.

Finally, god bless those of you on AVS who =use= their systems, not just utilising them as an excuse to either stat brag, or pricetag gloat, or the general "mine is bigger" BS that plagues this hobby.

Whatever you've got, use it well.

post #833 of 39890 Old 03-01-2009, 06:50 PM

What will Oppo do with the returned EAP players. I have heard several say that they wont/dont expect to keep them.

Ferrets are Family/ Ferrets Corner
post #834 of 39890 Old 03-01-2009, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Go back into inventory stock then be used to send to reviewers would be my guess.
post #835 of 39890 Old 03-01-2009, 07:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

Anyone in the EAP or Beta tester pool directly compare the oppo to either a Toshiba XA2/Onkyo HD DV805 or a Pioneer BDP05FD/51FD in its ability to upscaled SD DVDs?

This gets asked almost daily. There's no compelling reason to do a comparison, since the Oppo 983 has been compared ad nauseum to every other player out there. The processing and resulting PQ are the same or better in the BDP-83 compared to the 983.
post #836 of 39890 Old 03-01-2009, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

That, and RMK! just posted this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

SD DVD looks as good if not a bit better than either the XA2 or Elite [59AVI].

post #837 of 39890 Old 03-01-2009, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

Usually warm refers to emphasis on mid or lower frequencies, but not lacking in detail, veiled, or flat sounding. Usually this is highly desirable compared to a flat sound or bright sound (emphasis on higher frequencies).

I strongly disagree with this being highly desirable. It is highly UN-desirable. A player should not alter the frequency response at all. That is what equalization, tone controls, sound engineers etc. are for. It should be flat from zero Hz to at least 25kHz, and reproduce what is on the recording without alteration. If it is materially emphasizing the lower or mid frequencies it is a poor design. Especially since this is player is aimed at not just movies, but SACDs as well.

I hope somebody with a good audio setup will spend some time listening to the analog outputs, especially with some good SACDs. If this player truly outputs a signal with an emphasized low or mid frequency range it would be a huge disappointment.

"Nature Abhors a Vacuum Tube" -  J. R. Pierce
post #838 of 39890 Old 03-01-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson View Post

If this player truly outputs a signal with an emphasized low or mid frequency range it would be a huge disappointment.

Don't forget though that when one uses a rather non-specific term like this it can be relative. For example my Oppo 980 is very warm compared to the 970 I had before that, and that was a very good thing. The 970 was very harsh sounding, almost shrill on some SACD discs (the Sharon Bezaly Mozart Disc especially).

Personally if something was 'warm' to the point of losing high-end, or the low-end being overbearing I would refer to that as 'dark.'

Unfortunately I'm not in the EAP right now, or else I might try to get some RTA time with the BD-83, although that doesn't necessarily give you good data as far as imaging and soundstage go.
post #839 of 39890 Old 03-01-2009, 07:42 PM

I'm happy for you all but my 94 year old father (who'll be 95 this month) is waiting for the OPPO on my advice. His system when I was a kid was a 20" RCA round tube color TV circa 1959 (first in our neighborhood, The Tom Frandsen News, 15 minutes each day was the only color program) an Eico kit (he built) pre amp and amp, 1 channel, and the systems were not connected. Ahhh... the good old days.
post #840 of 39890 Old 03-01-2009, 08:17 PM

Can anyone comment on how the BDP-83 looks on a 768p panel? I have a Panasonic 8UK 50" plasma. Right now I'm feeding it 720p from a 980H and I'm very happy with it. Not sure how much more detail I'll pick up with the BDP without going to a 1080-line panel. What resolution is preferred, 1080i or 720p?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page