Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 292 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #8731 of 39352 Old 04-30-2009, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

I'm going to disagree with Bob P. on this one and tell you to try both connections. Because your AVR is a bit older, it most likely does not have any DSP, EQ or similar setup options on the multi-channel analog inputs. If I'm wrong about that, disregard this. The bass management and distance/level settings in the player are basic at best. There's a good chance that you may prefer the sound of the alternate DD/640 or DTS/core audio tracks through your current system. Both are very high quality and difficult to distinguish from the lossless streams. It's easy enough to have both connections and compare.

One thing left out is if his receiver provide a selection for sub boost that works in the analog mode (noting 'egrady's' query, above). If it does, then he should have no problem processing lossless tracks properly using the recommended settings in the player along with any needed level adjustments.
The AQ advantage would certainly be greater for DVD-A than BD where the core tracks could suffice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8732 of 39352 Old 04-30-2009, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by EWL5 View Post

If you are sending PCM to the AVR, it is the AVR's responsibility to boost LFE. Most modern AVR's do this correctly w/o user interaction. Which AVR do you own?

That's the problem, my Denon 5805MKII has the LFE Bug.
post #8733 of 39352 Old 04-30-2009, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWL5 View Post

If you are sending PCM to the AVR, it is the AVR's responsibility to boost LFE. Most modern AVR's do this correctly w/o user interaction. Which AVR do you own?

It can also be a selectable setting in the setup menu for the receiver. Seems like we all merged on the topic at the same time!
post #8734 of 39352 Old 04-30-2009, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoaddikt View Post

It can also be a selectable setting in the setup menu for the receiver. Seems like we all merged on the topic at the same time!

True, but the problem is I need to boost the LFE level on just one AVR input. Just the one for my PS3. If I apply a 10db boost using the AVR's set up mode it applies univerally and, as a result, messes up the LFE level for my other audio inputs.
post #8735 of 39352 Old 04-30-2009, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egrady View Post

True, but the problem is I need to boost the LFE level on just one AVR input. Just the one for my PS3. If I apply a 10db boost using the AVR's set up mode it applies univerally and, as a result, messes up the LFE level for my other audio inputs.

Well can't you just add the boost when using the PS3 and then remove it when using other sources? A bit of a hassle for sure but at least it should solve the problem.
post #8736 of 39352 Old 04-30-2009, 06:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:

3 words: external subwoofer equalizer

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #8737 of 39352 Old 04-30-2009, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually, I would have the same problem, more or less in reverse. It is selectable in the menu for my Arcam receiver, and designed for DVD-A (per the manual) but works for the latest BD lossless audio tracks when using analog inputs.
I would need to go back and switch it out when listening to SACD.
I know some years ago, Pioneer came out with a firmware fix for an LFE bug in some receivers. There is actually a lot of discussion on the subject is you do searches on LFE bug. More discussion than remedies, I suspect.
post #8738 of 39352 Old 04-30-2009, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D View Post

Well can't you just add the boost when using the PS3 and then remove it when using other sources? A bit of a hassle for sure but at least it should solve the problem.

I could, but if I forgot to reduce the LFE level one day and used the AVR the next day for something else I might be peeling my SW off the walls.

Can someone confirm the "trim" level adjustment on the BDP-83 is only available on the analog outputs?
post #8739 of 39352 Old 04-30-2009, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

3 words: external subwoofer equalizer

Kind of what I envisioned, an external solution, that could be applied remotely.
post #8740 of 39352 Old 04-30-2009, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I could, but if I forgot to reduce the LFE level one day and used the AVR the next day for something else I might be peeling my SW off the walls.

Can someone confirm the "trim" level adjustment on the BDP-83 is only available on the analog outputs?

According to the manual yes they are only available on the analog outputs. Why wouldn't adjusting the trim address the bas management issue?
post #8741 of 39352 Old 04-30-2009, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So I got the invite email and just tried to buy it, it gets all the way to the end and then when I submit my order it quickly puts up a page that says

I'm sorry, there was a problem with your transaction.
Transaction Result: Declined: DECLINED

go back and try again.

I did and it still doesn't work. Any ideas?

XBL: Mr MichaelJames
post #8742 of 39352 Old 04-30-2009, 07:15 AM

Any EAP'ers have "Slumdog Millionaire" SD-DVD? Any problems playing the disc?

Insertion of the DVD in my BDP-83 generates loud noise with significant vibration; the disc freezes in-place. This is the third event of this type that I've experienced during the EAP. The disc played without issue on the other three DVD players that I own.

-GeorgeM
on Cape Cod
post #8743 of 39352 Old 04-30-2009, 07:17 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAlletto View Post

So I got the invite email and just tried to buy it, it gets all the way to the end and then when I submit my order it quickly puts up a page that says

I'm sorry, there was a problem with your transaction.
Transaction Result: Declined: DECLINED

go back and try again.

I did and it still doesn't work. Any ideas?

Because of improper sharing of order links yesterday (don't do it!) online ordering has had some problems.

If it continues to fail, send OPPO an email explaining the situation.

-Bill
post #8744 of 39352 Old 04-30-2009, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Because of improper sharing of order links yesterday (don't do it!) online ordering has had some problems.

If it continues to fail, send OPPO an email explaining the situation.

-Bill

Well I didn't share with anyone (in fact i just opened the email this morning). I just sent oppo an email about it.

post #8745 of 39352 Old 04-30-2009, 07:22 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.M. View Post

Any EAP'ers have "Slumdog Millionaire" SD-DVD? Any problems playing the disc?

Insertion of the DVD in my BDP-83 generates loud noise with significant vibration; the disc freezes in-place. This is the third event of this type that I've experienced during the EAP. The disc played without issue on the other three DVD players that I own.

-GeorgeM
on Cape Cod

I haven't tried that disc. I'm not aware of title-specific vibration issue, although individual disc/player/firmware combinations have produced audible vibrations.

I would wait for the next firmware to see if that helps. If it doesn't, contact OPPO.

-Bill
post #8746 of 39352 Old 04-30-2009, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Denon never issued a fix for this bug? You certainly paid enough!

Alternatively, you could use the analog outs for audio and HDMI for video.

Pioneer broke my heart.
Denon broke my wallet.
Oppo broke my thinking.
post #8747 of 39352 Old 04-30-2009, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAlletto View Post

Well I didn't share with anyone (in fact i just opened the email this morning). I just sent oppo an email about it.

He's not accusing you of doing so. Someone else did and so, apparently, OPPO is in the process of making some adjustments in their online processing of orders.
post #8748 of 39352 Old 04-30-2009, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I placed my order last night and this morning my order says "pending review" and to call them. I'm sure I entered all my billing info correct. I'll be calling them when they open this morning.

Sometimes I think my brain has a mind of its own.
post #8749 of 39352 Old 04-30-2009, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

I'm going to disagree with Bob P. on this one and tell you to try both connections. Because your AVR is a bit older, it most likely does not have any DSP, EQ or similar setup options on the multi-channel analog inputs. If I'm wrong about that, disregard this. The bass management and distance/level settings in the player are basic at best. There's a good chance that you may prefer the sound of the alternate DD/640 or DTS/core audio tracks through your current system. Both are very high quality and difficult to distinguish from the lossless streams. It's easy enough to have both connections and compare.

along these lines, i'm planning on running the oppo into my marantz 8400 receiver (no hdmi, 7.1 analog ins). i don't think i can do various DSP magic on the analogs, but based on a chart in the marantz manual, it looks like it CAN apply dolby prologic iix to the analogs, to matrix 5.1 audio into 7.1. So make sure you check your manual to see what the avr will do.

btw, does anyone here have a marantz 8400 and can confirm prologic iix works on the analog ins? i suppose i could actually try the owner's thread...

- Chris
post #8750 of 39352 Old 04-30-2009, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommypeters View Post

Will this be International or still USA-only?

I emailed oppo to ask them if Canadian/International/non-48 states orders now qualify for the pre-ordering or whatever you want to call it. They confirmed that yes, everyone who signed up is now eligible to buy once they receive their email, and that they are indeed sending the invites out in first-signed up order.

What they didn't confirm is whether that was EAP sign-up, or interest list sign up. I'm leaning towards EAP, because I'm sure I saw some people post (before modded away) that they got the email and only signed up in Dec when the EAP was announced. I know I was on the interest list well before that, and re-iterated myinterest in the EAP as soon as I found out about it, and I still haven't seen anything... patience... patience...
post #8751 of 39352 Old 04-30-2009, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D View Post

He's not accusing you of doing so. Someone else did and so, apparently, OPPO is in the process of making some adjustments in their online processing of orders.

I don't know why oppo didn't tie each link to the emails with some sort of one time use key. Would have saved them a lot of issues.

post #8752 of 39352 Old 04-30-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamZX11 View Post

Hope so, I'm still undecided, and don't like pressure!

I think any pressure you're feeling is self imposed. If you're not sure, then wait. You can always order it later on. It's not like it's now or never.
post #8753 of 39352 Old 04-30-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:

I'll definitely try both. I just ordered a 5.1 cable set from Blue Jeans Cable last night -- along with a newer skinnier, sexier HDMI cable certified for 1.3a operation ...

I think that you're right about the analog inputs not going through any processing on my Emotiva DMC-1. Here's the comment that they have on the 7.1 8 channel inputs:

Quote:

Emotiva DMC-1 User's Guide: These analog audio inputs can connect to the output of an external surround processor, or a source component such as DVDAudio, SACD, or a DVD player with its own surround decoder. You can select this as an input from the front panel or remote control. The eight channels of analog audio will then pass into the DMC-1

Note: This is designed to be a very short, ultra pure, analog-only signal path. DSP-based
effects such as tone controls, bass management and DSP surround are bypassed in order to maintain the highest fidelity.

As for the bass management, etc. on the BD83, the only thing that I saw that I'd like different is a variable crossover point for the "small" vs. "subwoofer" speakers. It's fixed at 80Hz (yeah, I know, the THX standard) but my front speakers are Vandersteen 2Ci's and they go down to ~30Hz. Ideally the crossover point could be selected per speaker pair since each would probably have a different speaker type. Also, it would be nice to have a pink noise generator for helping to set the analog trim levels but that's easy enough to solve with a calibration disk.

Basically, it sounds like I'm going to have my hands full trying to figure out all the different controls, interconnects and which component gets to do what to which signals. It makes you understand why Joe and Jane America look at this confustion and either want an "all-in-one" or go for everything from the same manufacturer! But, as I think Michael Keaton said in the movie Beetlejuice "Hobbiests. You gotta hate them ..."

Casey
post #8754 of 39352 Old 04-30-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysam View Post

I think any pressure you're feeling is self imposed. If you're not sure, then wait. You can always order it later on. It's not like it's now or never.

I didn't feel much pressure after having waited for so long. I dunno about the rest of you.
post #8755 of 39352 Old 04-30-2009, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

I haven't tried that disc. I'm not aware of title-specific vibration issue, although individual disc/player/firmware combinations have produced audible vibrations.

I would wait for the next firmware to see if that helps. If it doesn't, contact OPPO.

-Bill

I sent an email to Oppo about this but it was for BD.
post #8756 of 39352 Old 04-30-2009, 08:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnathra View Post

along these lines, i'm planning on running the oppo into my marantz 8400 receiver (no hdmi, 7.1 analog ins). i don't think i can do various DSP magic on the analogs, but based on a chart in the marantz manual, it looks like it CAN apply dolby prologic iix to the analogs, to matrix 5.1 audio into 7.1. So make sure you check your manual to see what the avr will do.

btw, does anyone here have a marantz 8400 and can confirm prologic iix works on the analog ins? i suppose i could actually try the owner's thread...

Sounds like your Marantz is indeed converting the analog-in to PCM for DSP. If so, you have the best of both worlds. True, it's an extra A-D/D-A step, but should still sound fine.
post #8757 of 39352 Old 04-30-2009, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Why wont the individual trim settings work for base management via analog outputs?
post #8758 of 39352 Old 04-30-2009, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

G.M., I used a rental Slumdog Millionaire with no issues.
post #8759 of 39352 Old 04-30-2009, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

heres a question i have that is not covered in the FAQ section....on my pioneer bdp-51 i have to boost the subwoofer output in my pre/pro and in the player by about 14db to make up for the DD and DTS level drop that normally gets boosted in the prepro when it does the decoding....is the oppo the same way? will i have to continue to boost the subwoofer input to have it at the correct level if i use the analog outs?
post #8760 of 39352 Old 04-30-2009, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver View Post

Why wont the individual trim settings work for base management via analog outputs?

Well they do, in principle, but it depends on the interaction between the OPPO and the processor. When I got my OPPO I used the analog outs at first and tried to use the trims. I had problems, however, calibrating my SW to the proper db using a sound meter. Then I had to play around with the sensitivity setting on my processor. I never got it exactly like I wanted but that is not to say that it is not possible. I just didn't try all that hard because I was biding time until I got the device that allowed me to use HDMI with my processor.

Also the settings in the OPPO in this regard are pretty basic. With many processors, you can do more sophisticated adjustments and apply different DSPs and bass management adjustments for different sorts of signal inputs.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Oppo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page