1Likes

post #901 of 39367 Old 03-02-2009, 08:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by webcrawlr View Post

I must have missed that. Was that a specific post in this thread or are we talking about known issues (other players) with enabling secondary audio and lossless playback?

Maybe "issue" was a bad choice of words. I just meant for the ability to mix secondary audio.

"Your" isn't the same as "you're". "There", "their" and "they're" are also not the same. Please learn the difference.

And... it's "couldn't care less". Thank you. :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 39367 Old 03-02-2009, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

No Holiday Inn for me I stayed in Hilton last night.
post #903 of 39367 Old 03-02-2009, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawoman View Post

Oppo website has the list of names of the EAP chosen and will post their answers as to whether the EAP should be expanded.

They still have not updated the list as there are still only 38. Was there 12 people left off?

And how come there are nobody from WashingtonDC/Baltimore area (Virginia, DC, and Maryland)? Hell, there is nobody from even the neighboring states like Pennsylvania.
post #904 of 39367 Old 03-02-2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post

Ok, I'm going to chime in here. I didn't get my unit yet (hopefully today), I would try both and see what you like. I use 1080p/60 out of my 983 to my Kuro. I think it's scaling and processing is better than the Kuro's. Also as a side note. . . i don't want this to turn into a pioneer vs oppo thing, but when I had the pioneer 51 I and went source direct to my Kuro I couldn't get the scrolling intro on any of the star wars episodes to look proper. they were always tearing and smeared.

so in short look at either output. try the star wars track i mentioned and see what you get. . .

Pioneer has accepted 1080P/24 for many years. I have never had the ability to send 1080P/24 to my tv, but apparently with the BDP-83 we will be able to make this setting a default. I am not exactly sure how this feature works, can anyone fill me in on how the picture quality "should" look, in comparison with sending the signal without 1080P/24? I have a 768 Elite that accepts 1080P/24 so would that mean if I set the default to 1080P/24 I would not have to choose 720 or 1080i? Thanks for your input the whole 1080P/24 on a set that goes up to 768 has always confused me lol.
post #905 of 39367 Old 03-02-2009, 08:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Does anyone have a link to the list of names for those on the EAP list? I went to the site and didn't see anything...so one assumption is it's visable to only those in the program?

I'm just double checking to make sure my name isn't on it and the email got lost...

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #906 of 39367 Old 03-02-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

Does anyone have a link to the list of names for those on the EAP list? I went to the site and didn't see anything...so one assumption is it's visable to only those in the program?

I'm just double checking to make sure my name isn't on it and the email got lost...

Follow the link in the spoiler on the first post in this thread.

"Your" isn't the same as "you're". "There", "their" and "they're" are also not the same. Please learn the difference.

And... it's "couldn't care less". Thank you. :)
post #907 of 39367 Old 03-02-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim HTPC View Post

Where do you live?

Well played sir.

------------------------------
TV: Samsung LNT4671F
BD-DVD: Oppo BDP-83
Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR606
Logitech Revue (Google TV)
Cisco 8640HDC DVR (v. ODN 4.0.2_4)
post #908 of 39367 Old 03-02-2009, 08:43 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstiles4 View Post

Pioneer has accepted 1080P/24 for many years. I have never had the ability to send 1080P/24 to my tv, but apparently with the BDP-83 we will be able to make this setting a default. I am not exactly sure how this feature works, can anyone fill me in on how the picture quality "should" look, in comparison with sending the signal without 1080P/24?

You should get smoother motion during camera pans. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecine#Telecine_judder

Quote:

I have a 768 Elite that accepts 1080P/24 so would that mean if I set the default to 1080P/24 I would not have to choose 720 or 1080i?

Correct.

-Bill
post #909 of 39367 Old 03-02-2009, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Butler View Post

Videoaddict, funny you should mention "the room". I'm downsizing my 5.1 ch. living room home theater because I'm tired of trying to make it work in a multi-purpose living room. I've been doing this in a NYC apartment since VHS went stereo and I'm over it. I'll do a proper home theater when I in fact have a home for it, or at least a mostly dedicated room. Hope I didn't come off as one the "snobbery" guys, because I'm far from it. I appreciate comments from members with less than stellar , since mine certainly fits that category too.

Actually, I was being totally sincere. The room is often skipped over in such discussions by 'audiophiles', but in fact can have a significant influence on how your system sounds, not to mention speaker placement. It was not meant to be a tongue-in-cheek comment, well, not completely! I was throwing that in, not really taking hardware's contribution, out... I think you understand that!
post #910 of 39367 Old 03-02-2009, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

I didn't make it in, but here is the list.

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/EAP.aspx
post #911 of 39367 Old 03-02-2009, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I was wondering if any of the beta testers or lucky EAP folks have tried their BDP-83 with an RX-Z11. I have a couple of 983s here that I tried with my Z11 and both failed (as did the replacement unit that OPPO sent me to try) at the higher video resolution settings and with high res audio (SACD & DVD-A). If it doesn't work with the Z11 I'm even more out of luck. In case it matters, my display is a JVC DLA-HD1 projector.

When I talked with OPPO last about the 983 problem, they told me that they had no Z11s to test with so they couldn't help me (Yamaha basically told me the same story about not having a DV-983H to test with).

Thanks,
Bob
post #912 of 39367 Old 03-02-2009, 09:03 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulst10 View Post

Oh well, nevermind, I am sure someone will eventually add the alternate code to Harmony and if not it probably will not be too time consuming manually adding commands

I read that Harmony is pretty good about adding codes to their database. If you have the codes, give them a call and see if they will update.
post #913 of 39367 Old 03-02-2009, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinHood View Post

Question:

What´s the best HDMI Image & Sound connection and why?

a) IMAGE: BD-player --> AV receiver --> Flatscreen
b) SOUND: Audio decoded through AV receiver

d) IMAGE: BD-player --> Flatscreen
c) SOUND: Audio decoded through BD-player

Isn´t the shortest way always preferred?

I'll offer some thoughts on that. Hopefully they'll help...

First, if you have an AV receiver that supports HDMI, you want to go through the receiver to get access to the audio. As a result, that makes the A+B scenario much preferred, as otherwise you are forced to feed either coaxial/optical digital audio (thus losing access to the lossless audio formats) or multichannel analog audio (thus creating a spaghetti of wires and losing access to the AV receiver's audio processing capabilities). You may want to make sure the AV receiver isn't doing any unwanted video processing to the signal that is getting passed through to the TV, of course, but barring something like that the video signal path should still be safe.

If you have an older receiver that lacks HDMI, you are running your audio and video separately anyway. At that point, you may be forced to run your video straight to the display. If you do need some sort of HDMI switching, though, there is no reason that an HDMI switcher should yield any video quality degradation - it is simply passing through a video signal. The only case where you could conceivably have a problem is if you have a really long cable run and the switcher creates enough of a resistance that you start to run into signal strength problems.

gonk
Beta tester: BDP-83 / BDP-80
post #914 of 39367 Old 03-02-2009, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Called and inquired about release information this morning and spoke to friendly CSR whose name I will not publish.

He said they might do another EAP and that folks who signed up on the interest link on website might be included.

He also said that they hope to have the complete model out by the end of this month!

He said pricing would be in the $500 to $600 range, but would not specify further.

He recommend ordering from their website directly, insinuating that other retailers might not get the product for a while.
post #915 of 39367 Old 03-02-2009, 09:24 AM

So do Canadians have to buy through a reseller or can we go directly through OPPO when this unit is released. I understand the EAP is a no-go for us right now(whatever, that is OPPO'S lack of communication, not mine), but when it is released, I'd rather not have to wait for a reseller to get their act together, not mention the extra cost(a guess on my part).

KrisM
post #916 of 39367 Old 03-02-2009, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisM View Post

So do Canadians have to buy through a reseller or can we go directly through OPPO when this unit is released. I understand the EAP is a no-go for us right now(whatever, that is OPPO'S lack of communication, not mine), but when it is released, I'd rather not have to wait for a reseller to get their act together, not mention the extra cost(a guess on my part).

KrisM

I would call or get a PO Box on the border!
post #917 of 39367 Old 03-02-2009, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I wonder why OPPO continues to use the little "C" type power cord connection. I'd love to try a big fat Harmonic Tech power cord on it. I currently use the PS Audio c type power cord on my 981 ($50) and it did help a little, but not much, perhaps a little less video grain in general.

From the manual:
In addition to the above connectors, the AC power inlet is also located on the rear panel. The inlet is the IEC60-320 C18 type. Only the included AC power cord or an approved power cord with an IEC60-320 C17 type plug should be used.
post #918 of 39367 Old 03-02-2009, 09:40 AM

I'm not sure if any of your comments were aimed at me, as I hesitatingly called myself an audiophile, but I haven't seen anyone ripping reviewers about their comments.

We're all entitled to our opinions. Whether you think that 8-tracks are the cat's meow, or whether nothing short of a Goldmund turntable with all of the assorted paraphenalia turns your crank, the appreciation of A/V is mostly subjective. So, whether I think that the BD player is an audiophile delight and you think it's a boat anchor is irrelevant. We all learn from each other's observations and comments.

However when it comes to comparing players or commenting about the quality of that player's audio and video capabilities, the equipment that the device is connected to will make a significant difference.

So when reviewer "A" says that he thinks the player doesn't look any better different than his SD player, then I'd like to know whether he's using a properly calibrated high quality monitor or a run-of-the-mill TV. That's what is important to me. Similarly when evaluating audio capabilities, I'd like to know whether the person is listening to the music through an HT receiver or separate components and what brand of components are being used for the evaluation.

We all have brands that we like and dislike. If a reviewer is watching &/or listening to source material through a brand we dislike, we are more likely to have reservations about that review than we are about a review using components that we like.

I have never made negative comments about anyone's rig and don't intend to in the future. So, my feeling is to bring it on! Let us know what equipment you are using to evaluate the new Oppo.

Roberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhcorolla View Post

Can we please refrain from the audiophile (& "videophile") snobbery? What we ALL want is information about these BDP-83 players from NEW OWNER'S. If you start ripping EAP reviewers for their comments, then other BDP-83 reviewers might be scared to post lest they get their heads bit off!

post #919 of 39367 Old 03-02-2009, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

Called and inquired about release information this morning....

Everything you wrote is contained in their announcement and written on the first page of this thread...why did you call???
post #920 of 39367 Old 03-02-2009, 09:47 AM

I'd rather not have to get a PO box at the border due to credit card company pains, not to mention I live 8 hours(I think) from the border. And dealing with border patrol, on both sides, ughh.
I should try to call them, but I'm guessing I'll get some response about them not knowing anything yet.

KrisM
post #921 of 39367 Old 03-02-2009, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wonder why OPPO continues to use the little "C" type power cord connection. I'd love to try a big fat Harmonic Tech power cord on it. I currently use the PS Audio c type power cord on my 981 ($50) and it did help a little, but not much, perhaps a little less video grain in general.

From the manual:
In addition to the above connectors, the AC power inlet is also located on the rear panel. The inlet is the IEC60-320 C18 type. Only the included AC power cord or an approved power cord with an IEC60-320 C17 type plug should be used.

The 980H, 983H, and BDP-83 all use the standard IEC C18 (two-prong version of the C14 that you find on PC power supplies), not the C7 that the 981HD used.

gonk
post #922 of 39367 Old 03-02-2009, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisM View Post

I'd rather not have to get a PO box at the border due to credit card company pains, not to mention I live 8 hours(I think) from the border. And dealing with border patrol, on both sides, ughh.
I should try to call them, but I'm guessing I'll get some response about them not knowing anything yet.

KrisM

I don't know what OPPO's policy is for shipping to Canada on normal orders, but since we are talking about a straightforward product order (not part of the EAP) I'm pretty sure their CSR's know what that policy is and could give you an answer if you call or email them.

gonk
post #923 of 39367 Old 03-02-2009, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Gonk. And, I still wonder why OPPO uses any skimpy little two prong plug instead of a good ol' removable power cord input. Does this mean my PS Audio power cord that I bought for my 981 and for my cable box is the wrong kind to replace the BDP83's stock power cord?
post #924 of 39367 Old 03-02-2009, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hef View Post

Everything you wrote is contained in their announcement and written on the first page of this thread...why did you call???

release date was not know just a few pages ago...
post #925 of 39367 Old 03-02-2009, 10:15 AM

Sorry, I should have been more specific. If there is priority for EAP sign up people, including Canadians who were told to sign up and then left out when the EAP started, I would rather not have to get into the PO box issue. I would rather have the thing shipped to my door. I just figured because at this time there is no official priority for people who signed up for the EAP, it would be a waste of time phoning them.

KrisM
post #926 of 39367 Old 03-02-2009, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

release date was not know just a few pages ago...

Yes, but Neuromancer updates the 1st post as new info becomes available.
post #927 of 39367 Old 03-02-2009, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertazimmerman View Post

I'm not sure if any of your comments were aimed at me, as I hesitatingly called myself an audiophile, but I haven't seen anyone ripping reviewers about their comments....

My comments were never intended for anyone specific, but more of a general plea to stay on subject. The whole audiophile discussion/ debate can easily get carried away & veer this thread into a ditch. I would hate to see a muzzle put on BDP-83 OWNER'S comments for fear of scorn/ ridicule because they unduly perceive their HT system isn't "worthy".

Already Rob Tomlin is hesitant now to post his opinion of 2 ch analog due to a perception that people w/ superior equipment/ expertise would better serve the forum in this matter. That's very unfortunate because his opinion is well thought of in this community. I welcome his comments & all others.
post #928 of 39367 Old 03-02-2009, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHDTV? View Post

They still have not updated the list as there are still only 38. Was there 12 people left off?

And how come there are nobody from WashingtonDC/Baltimore area (Virginia, DC, and Maryland)? Hell, there is nobody from even the neighboring states like Pennsylvania.

List now shows 50 people. One from Maryland, and two from Pennsylvania shown. The EAP was random drawing not associated with populated areas or states.

Oppo Beta Group
post #929 of 39367 Old 03-02-2009, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHDTV? View Post

Refresh. All 50 are there.

EDIT: I claim first posting. JohnAV cheated with his time machine. EDIT 2: See, he did it again by catching my spelling mistake.
post #930 of 39367 Old 03-02-2009, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Gonk. And, I still wonder why OPPO uses any skimpy little two prong plug instead of a good ol' removable power cord input. Does this mean my PS Audio power cord that I bought for my 981 and for my cable box is the wrong kind to replace the BDP83's stock power cord?

It's not the "skimpy little" two prong plug - it's the big IEC plug, just with two prongs because they don't need a three-prong power cord for a disc player. Any power cord you might have for the 981HD and your cable box will not work with the BDP-83 because OPPO quit using the old C7/C8 detachable cords after the 981HD - they only used those on the 970HD and 981HD, with the larger power cord connector showing up on the 980H and everything after that.

gonk
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Oppo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page