Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 319 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-05-2009, 10:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by da Choge View Post

Could be wrong, but, in my memory, the Cambridge brand comes to mind.

- da Choge

It was Nuforce. See this post on AudioCircle: http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/i...topic=47725.40

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2009, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 37
After the latest firmware install, I can report that I love the tray's open/close speed.

It's as smooth as a baby's bottom and makes the player seem more high end.

OPPO BETA GROUP
Old 05-05-2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarWeasel View Post

If I understand things correctly *now*, I appear to have three options if I want to do this the Right Way:

1) Adjust the output level on my subwoofer +10 dB when I listen to the BDP-83's analog outputs and back to +0 dB when I listen to other sources.

2) Connect one subwoofer to my receiver. Connect a second subwoofer (powered, with a line-level input) to my BDP-83 and configure it with +10 dB of gain in the final amplification stage.

3) Buy a new receiver that can apply 10 dB of gain to the analog subwoofer input.

I have the exact same problem, as I have a Denon AVR-4800 and also use the ICBM for base management. I have been thinking about this problem, and may have a better alternative (without having to buy another subwoofer or receiver):

1) Adjust the channel trim in your receiver such that the subwoofer is -10 dB below the mains and recalibrate with a sound meter using the internal test tones (you will need to increase the subwoofer amplifier gain). This setup should still be correct for Dolby Digital/DTS audio sources decoded in your receiver.

2) Set all of the LFE controls on the ICBM to nominal (0 dB), and set all speakers in the BDP-83 setup to "Large".

3) Ideally, you would like to set the channel trim levels on the BDP-83 to the same values you used in your receiver setup, except that the subwoofer trim level will now be the same as the mains (10 dB higher than in step #1). You can use the audio test tones on the DVE Blu-ray disc to verify the speaker trim settings for the BDP-83, and hopefully they will be close (within a dB or so) to your receiver settings (but this is not necessarily critical). Anyway, since the analog inputs on your receiver are basically just a pass-through (no channel trim is applied), the LFE input to your receiver from the BDP-83 will be the standard -10 dB low, and will be amplified another 10 dB by the subwoofer amplifier. This places the LFE amplification at the proper point in the gain chain.

This setup should be correct for both audio sources decoded by your receiver and the analog outputs from the BDP-83. I have verified this configuration using the analog outputs on my Panasonic DMP-BD55, and it appears to work as desired. Let me know what you think.

Brian
Old 05-05-2009, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver View Post

Many can be found here..

Most of those are without any appreciable benefit, except to void your warranty and to lighten your wallet.

Oppo Beta Group
Old 05-05-2009, 11:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

After the latest firmware install, I can report that I love the tray's open/close speed.

I don't know about all that, but it is much improved.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Old 05-05-2009, 11:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

Most of those are without any appreciable benefit, except to void your warranty and to lighten your wallet.

Can we get mods done WITHOUT the big ugly sticker on the front?
I didn't see a mod for enabling HD DVD playback, with that be coming soon?
What about rubber feet?

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
Old 05-05-2009, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

Can we get mods done WITHOUT the big ugly sticker on the front?
I didn't see a mod for enabling HD DVD playback, with that be coming soon?
What about rubber feet?

But they can sell you genuine hand rubbed wooden handles also for your BDP-83, so you don't strain your back.

Oppo Beta Group
Old 05-05-2009, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

I don't know about all that, but it is much improved.

Is it actually faster?? I hadn't noticed. (But then I wasn't paying attention to that.) I thought it was pretty speedy already.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

Is it actually faster?? I hadn't noticed. (But then I wasn't paying attention to that.) I thought it was pretty speedy already.

Not faster, smoother

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
Old 05-05-2009, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian A View Post

I have the exact same problem, a....

1) Adjust the channel trim in your receiver such that the subwoofer is -10 dB below the mains and recalibrate with a sound meter using the internal test tones (you will need to increase the subwoofer amplifier gain). This setup should still be correct for Dolby Digital/DTS audio sources decoded in your receiver.

2) Set all of the LFE controls on the ICBM to nominal (0 dB), and set all speakers in the BDP-83 setup to "Large".
Brian

Yes - to the BDP-83 setup
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian A View Post

3) Ideally, you would like to set the channel trim levels on the BDP-83 to the same values you used in your receiver setup, except that the subwoofer trim level will now be the same as the mains (10 dB higher than in step #1). You can use the audio test tones on the DVE Blu-ray disc to verify the speaker trim settings for the BDP-83, and hopefully they will be close (within a dB or so) to your receiver settings (but this is not necessarily critical). Anyway, since the analog inputs on your receiver are basically just a pass-through (no channel trim is applied), the LFE input to your receiver from the BDP-83 will be the standard -10 dB low, and will be amplified another 10 dB by the subwoofer amplifier. This places the LFE amplification at the proper point in the gain chain.

This setup should be correct for both audio sources decoded by your receiver and the analog outputs from the BDP-83. I have verified this configuration using the analog outputs on my Panasonic DMP-BD55, and it appears to work as desired. Let me know what you think.

Brian

I'm not 100% certain what you receiver's mixing matrix looks like but if the subwoofer channel is separate from the LFE channel so the LFE signal isn't attenuated in step #1 along with the subwoofer THEN it just might work!

PolarWeasel - This should work for you too.

~Michaël
Designer of audio stuff.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:43 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk20 View Post

Jim and Bob, thank you for your detailed responses. I can change the color setting in the scaler to be SD or HD. That's easy. The place where it breaks down is in calibrating the display--if I have it calibrated for SD, it won't look right for HD, and vice-versa. I can always send HD colorspace to the display, but HD colorspace isn't correct for SD, and vice-versa. I think I'm basically boxed into calibrating for HD and living with it not looking quite right for SD.

I wish I had run two cables in the wall, but at the time I wasn't aware of this issue.

Are you sure there isn't an option in your scaler to convert SD input to HD color space for output as part of upscaling the resolution? That would be a highly unusual thing to be missing from a scaler.

Alternatively (1), set the Oppo to do to upscaling (e.g., 1080p output for both Blu-Ray and SD-DVD) and you will be getting HD color space from the Oppo for both. Then send HD color space to your display (assuming you are sending HD resolution to the display).

Alternatively (2), use RGB from the Oppo. It will correctly convert the HD color space off Blu-Ray discs and the SD color space off SD-DVD discs to RGB and your scaler won't have to care about the color space of the input.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Old 05-05-2009, 11:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

Maybe, maybe not. I had my Sony SACD upgraded fro $500 and it was the best money I ever spent on a $200 source component.

I plan on using my BDP-83 for a year as a video player and then have it upgraded and used exclusively for audio. Hopefully, it will improve as much as the Sony did to improved PSU, clock, OP Amp tweaking, and output caps.

Gentleman - send me your bids!
Old 05-05-2009, 11:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzupeman View Post

I love talking with Oppo customer service, they're always so polite, helpful, and willing to tell you whatever. I called today just to see if there was a more specific shipping date for my player than just the 5th-21st, just out of curiosity. This was only about an hour after they were open, but the guy was wicked nice and told me that they were working very hard on updating the players with the latest firmware before shipping, and that they've only really gotten about three hours sleep. I just thanked the guy for all the hard work they do, that it wasn't a big deal and that they can take their time to do whatever they need to, that I appreciated their efforts a lot, and left it at that. So it's quite possible players didn't even begin shipping yet. This is one of the many reasons I love buying from Oppo. I've only purchased a DVD player from them in the past before deciding to get their Blu-ray player, and I knew I could always count on very kind and personable service. They take their time to do things right, instead of rushing everything out the door to make sure they meet some dumb deadline. As long as they keep crankin' stuff out, I'm sure to keep buying. Oppo will forever have my business.

I bet they are sensing a winner on their hands and will be a money maker for them, if 27,000 people on the interest list was any indication. I am sure they will burn the midnight oil to get these players out ASAP.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styln View Post

Maybe, maybe not. I had my Sony SACD upgraded fro $500 and it was the best money I ever spent on a $200 source component.

I plan on using my BDP-83 for a year as a video player and then have it upgraded and used exclusively for audio. Hopefully, it will improve as much as the Sony did to improved PSU, clock, OP Amp tweaking, and output caps.

Gentleman - send me your bids!

I would suggest you audition the BDP-83 for audio first before making that decision.

Oppo Beta Group
Old 05-06-2009, 01:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

I would suggest you audition the BDP-83 for audio first before making that decision.

I most certainly will One thing that led me to upgrade the Sony was that the Redbook audio was so far below the quality of the SACD audio, that I knew it could be improved.

We'll see with the Oppo. I have a 970 HD and the analog audio, even on SACD, is nothing special. But I'll give the BDP-983 a chance, live with it for a year, read the mod reviews, and then decide. That said, I am an audiophile, and spending $500 just to see how much better it can sound is not a big expense... it's an addiction
Old 05-06-2009, 05:18 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:

It is quieter than before, especially when loading. That had been a complaint.

Ejecting is still louder than the 983H, which is whisper-quiet. There is a trade-off when opening the tray: you need a certain amount of force or you risk a stuck tray. But oomph (as we scientists call it) is audible, even when applied for just a fraction of a second.

-Bill
Old 05-06-2009, 05:35 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

It is quieter than before, especially when loading. That had been a complaint.

Ejecting is still louder than the 983H, which is whisper-quiet. There is a trade-off when opening the tray: you need a certain amount of force or you risk a stuck tray. But oomph (as we scientists call it) is audible, even when applied for just a fraction of a second.

-Bill

I have not even noticed the noise the tray makes. Oppo sent me a replacement player (HDMI connection issues) and I've been using it as much as I can for music, DVD and BD playback. It plays perfect - no problems. I had some minor open/close issues that I wasn't worried about but the new player resolved that too. I'm thrilled with this unit overall and can't see much need in me checking this thread anymore. As far as I'm concerned this unit is fully production.

Many thanks to all the beta testers that suffered through any of my questions and for the rank and file readers and listers that did as well. I did learn much from this thread and the info is greatly appreciated.

Enjoy your Oppo units....

Wally
--------------------
Old 05-06-2009, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styln View Post

We'll see with the Oppo. I have a 970 HD and the analog audio, even on SACD, is nothing special. But I'll give the BDP-983 a chance, live with it for a year, read the mod reviews, and then decide. That said, I am an audiophile, and spending $500 just to see how much better it can sound is not a big expense... it's an addiction

OPPO's analog designs have come a long way from the 970HD. You may very well still decide to mod it at some point, but the BDP-83 should be a nice step up from the 970HD when evaluating analog performance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _JW_ View Post

DVDs are coded by region whereas Blu-rays are coded by zone. There are only 3 Blu-ray "Zones" (A, B, C) as opposed to 9 regions (0 - 8).

Actually, there are six DVD regions (1 through 6), and region 0 is simply the lack of a region code (similar to Blu-rays that lack a zone code). Region/zone 0 discs can be played on any hardware.

gonk
Beta tester: BDP-83 / BDP-80
Old 05-06-2009, 06:36 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post

Although I purchased mine with the option, I bet you could have OPPO add it later, but would require you to ship them the unit back. Smart of them to add it. Really customer focused.

What I said was don't expect the less expensive do-it-yourself installation option to be available for anyone other than Beta and EAP participants. I'm sure the option of sending it back in to have the option installed will be available long term.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

There are several zooms available. I personally set my unit to 16:9 Wide and just use the Vertical Stretch Zoom to remove annoying non-anamorphic widescreen bars.

You can also use 1.3x if you have the player set to 16:9 Wide/Auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayswantmore View Post

Hi,

I ordered my Oppo a few days ago. Just wondering what will be the best way to deal with non-anamorphic dvd's?

Is it the zoom, or some kind of stretch or something else?

Been dying to watch the great spaghetti western "The Great Silence" but the non-anamorphic disc has always peeved me off. Whats the best way for me to deal with this?
Thanks

Does this distort the picture in any way?
Old 05-06-2009, 06:47 AM

Did any of other European subscribers to the-1st-EAP or I-want-one-list receive an email yet, or is it once more sold exclusively to North American users?

Samsung 51F8500 - Dreambox 7020HD - Onkyo NR TX818 - OPPO 93 - PS3 - EPSON 5910 - KEF 2005 (5.1) QNAP 4 x 2TB
Old 05-06-2009, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

Thanks for the info, Jack. It actually annoys me a bit that they don't present this option when ordering the player, i.e., $89 to have them do it, or $50 to just have the kit sent with the player. I most certainly would have done it myself, as much on principle as to save the $39. Charging nearly 18% more for this simple mod is pretty ridiculous.....

Had any work done on your car lately? The shop I took my truck to charged me $89 just to read out what the "Check Engine" light was on for. I think $39 to do *any* work these days is (unfortunately) sounding like a bargain to me.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:02 AM

Firmware Install Question:

I understand the latest install instructions (two-passes, etc) but the second pass is not responding.

BDP83-22-0430 and BE23F3 857523F3 install with no problem (verified in the 'Setup' menu) but MCU83-22-0410 results in the following on-screen messsage: "Failed To Upgrade MCU Firmware." I repeated the set up several times without success. (I download the FW and burn it on a CD for updating).

Anybody have an thoughts?

-George
Old 05-06-2009, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec325 View Post

And, once you learn it, you can contact Harmony and request that it be put into the database

Well, you should do that right away!
Old 05-06-2009, 07:31 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.M. View Post

Firmware Install Question:

I understand the latest install instructions (two-passes, etc) but the second pass is not responding.

BDP83-22-0430 and BE23F3 857523F3 install with no problem (verified in the 'Setup' menu) but MCU83-22-0410 results in the following on-screen messsage: "Failed To Upgrade MCU Firmware." I repeated the set up several times without success. (I download the FW and burn it on a CD for updating).

Anybody have an thoughts?

-George

The MCU update sometimes has to be retried until it succeeds. I believe the MCU must be caught in a quiet state.

Try it a few more times. If that doesn't work, can you try it with a USB stick? Else you'll have to contact OPPO.

-Bill
Old 05-06-2009, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 70
The two pass option worked for me using a burned CD using Nero. I would suggest try burning another disk at a slow speed. You might also want to reset the unit and unplug it for a few minutes and try again.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

The two pass option worked for me using a burned CD using Nero.
Quote:

I would suggest try burning another disk at a slow speed. You might also want to reset the unit and unplug it for a few minutes and try again.

But since he used the CD method to update initially doesn't he need to do the update some other way, i.e. USB or ethernet?

Chad Billheimer rocks as a ISF Calibrator for Ohio.
Roller Coaster season is upon us. Proud member of American Coaster Enthusiasts (ACE) Woodies Rule!
Old 05-06-2009, 08:34 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbinet View Post

But since he used the CD method to update initially doesn't he need to do the update some other way, i.e. USB or ethernet?

I don't think so. The MCU is meant to be updated in the second pass after the new main firmware and loader are in place. This should be the same for all methods.

-Bill
Old 05-06-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinsrus View Post

I'm not 100% certain what you receiver's mixing matrix looks like but if the subwoofer channel is separate from the LFE channel so the LFE signal isn't attenuated in step #1 along with the subwoofer THEN it just might work!

PolarWeasel - This should work for you too.

Oops, I forgot about the redirected base in the ICBM (the receiver is just a pass-through with no signal manipulation, only amplification when using the analog inputs). The subwoofer output channel on the ICBM will include both the LFE from the BDP-83 and the redirected base from all the other speakers (based on the crossover settings). Since the ICBM is most likely mixing the redirected bass without any attenuation, this steered bass will then be amplified 10 dB too high by the subwoofer amplifier. As has been stated previously in this thread, the 10 dB boost on the LFE must be applied before the redirected base is mixed back in. Oh well, back to the drawing board ...

The more I think about it, the only way to properly use the ICBM in this situation is to boost the LFE coming from the BDP-83 by 10 dB (using the channel trim in the player) so that it mixes at the proper level with the redirected base in the ICBM. I realize that this defeats of purpose of reducing the LFE by 10 dB to begin with, but I think this is the only way to properly use the ICBM. This should not cause any problems as long as the receiver pre-amp does not clip this "full strength" analog subwoofer input. Since I typically listen to movies no louder than 10 dB below reference level anyway, I don't think I should have any clipping problems using this methodology. Unfortunately, I cannot test this idea using my Panasonic DMP-BD55, as it does not allow positive trim on any speaker channel (and only allows for -6 dB attenuation). I will just have to patiently wait for my BDP-83 to arrive.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec325 View Post

And... without the double helical, reverse-strand, uber-oxygen free, 8 gauge power cord... with accompanying audio grade, noise killing, isolation fuse - the whole thing is worthless! Unless, of course, they ship your updated unit back to you in an oriental silk lined and padded, custom, high-end, machined stainless steel presentation case - to reduce magnetic interference during shipping.

Quote:

That will get a thumbs-down from the audio-snob's at Stereophile

Not only those at Stereophile! Loved this post by the way!

Chad Billheimer rocks as a ISF Calibrator for Ohio.
Roller Coaster season is upon us. Proud member of American Coaster Enthusiasts (ACE) Woodies Rule!

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player