Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 325 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 83Likes

post #9721 of 39878 Old 05-07-2009, 02:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hef View Post

If you want to try them again, come and get 'em...unfortunately my player isn't scheduled for delivery until the middle of next week.

I think Oppo may be catching up: I called Monday to see if they could tell me when mine might ship, and they said the first of next week. I got a tracking # yesterday, and just took it from the FED EX man's hands 15 min ago. (Will have fun tonight!)

So, when are you guys going to start the 'owners thread'?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9722 of 39878 Old 05-07-2009, 02:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by thcmusic View Post

But bitstreaming audio out of the BDP-83 via an HDMI connection to a reciever that can decode DTS ES / EX would work correct?

Yes, and is actually what the Oppo manual recommends.
post #9723 of 39878 Old 05-07-2009, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

So, when are you guys going to start the 'owners thread'?

When most people get their orders. Don't want to start a new thread that only caters to a small group of people, particularly when many of the first posts will be talking about receiving tracking numbers or how their units haven't shipped yet.
post #9724 of 39878 Old 05-07-2009, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes, mine shipped, but because I was away when I ordered it, I hadn't read the fine print of shipping on the 5th, and didn't pay for expedited delivery. Now I'll wait for scheduled delivery on the 12th! Enjoy your new toy!
post #9725 of 39878 Old 05-07-2009, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by thcmusic View Post

But bitstreaming audio out of the BDP-83 via an HDMI connection to a reciever that can decode DTS ES / EX would work correct?

Yes. Bitstreaming all codecs over HDMI to a receiver/processor that can decode them completely circumvents the issue.
post #9726 of 39878 Old 05-07-2009, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm using my L&R audio outs to my integrated amp. What exactly happens to the Blu Ray lossless audio in this situation, down rez or hi rez 2 channel?
post #9727 of 39878 Old 05-07-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Use nothing but HDMI with your Onkyo, that's all that's required. The analog connects are there for people who don't have HDMI.

...and, like some of the posters in this forum, those who may prefer the sound.

R
post #9728 of 39878 Old 05-07-2009, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Butler View Post

I'm using my L&R audio outs to my integrated amp. What exactly happens to the Blu Ray lossless audio in this situation, down rez or hi rez 2 channel?

Hi rez downmixed to two channel.

gonk
Beta tester: BDP-83 / BDP-80
post #9729 of 39878 Old 05-07-2009, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonk View Post

Hi rez downmixed to two channel.

Yes, but at what resolution to the receiver, and I wonder what rate the "normal" stereo analog connections of an AVR expects to receive?
post #9730 of 39878 Old 05-07-2009, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec325 View Post

The first being an audio buzzword, that all too many people associate with better. The second is because, again, many auidophiles associate heaver with better.

In this configuration, one is paying for, essentially, an isolation transformer - fronted by a radio shack quality filter and clearly inferior wiring techniques.

I agree, definitely more fluff than function. Furthermore, I doubt even reasonably substantial mods could raise the performance of the '83 sufficiently to be cost-effective.
V
V
post #9731 of 39878 Old 05-07-2009, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I am playing with my just delivered Oppo and must say it is an excellent piece of gear.
Audio performance is at least as good as I've anticipated it should be based on other reviews.
Up Conversion is right up with the best Oppo has ever had, and few can equal. BD playback is spot on. I like the remote, the functional layout, the menus are quite easy to navigate. Setup is a breeze. Multi-channel analog did as promised. I have to try SACD/DVD-A, but both on demo disks and throwing on Roy Orbison's B&W in BD (DTS-MasterHD) sold me right away. 2 channel CD is excellent also.
Very well implemented design.
Kudos Oppo!!!
post #9732 of 39878 Old 05-07-2009, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:

Yes, but at what resolution to the receiver, and I wonder what rate the "normal" stereo analog connections of an AVR expects to receive?

Once the signal is in the analog realm, resolution and rate are largely irrelevant.

Build Thread: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
post #9733 of 39878 Old 05-07-2009, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

I mentioned this in the first place, as it goes to quality control - something this "modder" is apparently trying to market, better quality. As pointed out by another, they should have put a connector on the secondary output and plugged into the PCB, rather than using the "twist & tape" method.

The toroid leads are that big, because that is the proper gauge for the rating of the transformer. Apparently the transformer manufacturer understands that, even if the person performing the installation did not.

IMHO, they put it in there for two reasons:

1. So they can say the mod includes adding a "toriodal transformer".
2. Weight.

The first being an audio buzzword, that all too many people associate with better. The second is because, again, many auidophiles associate heaver with better.

In this configuration, one is paying for, essentially, an isolation transformer - fronted by a radio shack quality filter and clearly inferior wiring techniques.

Perhaps I'm missing something here but all I see is:
  • They replaced the AC line connector with a version that includes a safety ground (The yellow wire connects to it).
  • They added an RFI Line filter
  • They added a toroidal transformer
  • They wired the RFI filter in series with the toroidal transformer which is then wired to the input of the Oppo PS board.
  • They changed nothing on the Oppo PS board (except it now gets AC power from the toroidal transformer instead of the line cord).
From what I can see, the supposed purposed of the mod is to perform line filtering (and apparently nothing more). The RFI filter rejects some common mode noise at high frequencies and the energy stored in the toroidal transformer serves to filter lower frequency transients. I doubt the wire gauge has any significant affect whatsoever. It's difficult to make any valid conclusions on wire gauge because insulation thickness can vary dramatically - the "thin" hook up wire is probably rated okay for the application whereas the toroidal transformer is undoubtedly being under-utilized in this application. My one concern about the "small" wire gauge is "smart shorts" (shorts that can cause the insulation to smoke and burn but not cause the fuse to blow) but there are many examples of these in every home.

Geof
post #9734 of 39878 Old 05-07-2009, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm not sure I understand this question. The resolution and bit rate will depend on the source, and since the output is analog it no longer has any specific bit rate. Am I misunderstanding something?

gonk
Beta tester: BDP-83 / BDP-80
post #9735 of 39878 Old 05-07-2009, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertazimmerman View Post

...and, like some of the posters in this forum, those who may prefer the sound.

R

Roberta,

I am going to borrow some decent analog cables and a McIntosh MC205 next week from a buddy of mine. He's rebuilding his room and they will be out of commission for a while.

I'm looking forward to seeing how analog will perform out of my -83. Sadly, I'll have to use my Denon 2807 as a pre-, so I hope that doesn't limit things.

Stay tuned

-steve
My HT Setup - updated 12/25/2012
"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
post #9736 of 39878 Old 05-07-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloz2 View Post

upgrading the clock does not guarantee improvement. It is likely though. What did they upgrade the clock to? and without giving the clock a dedicated power supply... which it doesn't look that they did again they've done a half-ass job just like putting a filter and toroid in the power supply and not upgrading any caps or other cheap parts...

The picture is labeled "Early Prototype" and is a few weeks old, final mod will likely look a little better. Here's the mod described:
Quote:
digital transport ed consists of:

-upgraded main power supply with filtering and toroidal isolation transformer
-upgraded 27mhz main clock with its own dedicated transformer based power supply
-disabling of the analog audio board(can be reconnected should it be needed later)
-rear analog audio RCA outputs are capped off with terminating 24k gold shielded connectors, this finishes off the complete removes the analog signal chain from the component
-replace the IEC power input with a grounded version
-shielded grounded power cable is included
-the entire top chassis is shielded with copper shielding material
-vibration reducing/isolation feet are added to the bottom of the chassis

post #9737 of 39878 Old 05-07-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrumc View Post

It isn't available to general public per se. It is being sold to all the people that signed up on the interest list. After all of these people get the option to buy it first, it will be available to everyone else. It seems the going to date range is mid May for this.

I just ordered my 'interest' list unit a couple of days ago. I ordered without RS232 which they say would add ~ 1 week. I was happy to find out I may have the option to add it later if I change my mind!

I called Oppo to ask another question regarding availability through my dealer and they said they estimate as late as mid to late June for general availability. (also that RS232 will not be available through dealers/installers in the near future)

Mine "should" ship (be ready for pickup rather) in ~ one to two weeks now. I think the interest list got pretty long
Woohoo, my first BD player! Among other things I can't wait to try out the USB interface playback and DSD via HDMI.

Thanks everyone on this thread for the great info. It has answered many questions!
post #9738 of 39878 Old 05-07-2009, 04:37 PM

I think that most so called mods on this quality of player would be highly suspect in terms of any REAL improvements in the quality of sound, but there is one mod which I would be looking at very seriously and that is the one which would allow one to play DVDs or Blue Rays from any part of the world. Price to perform this mod and how far into the warranty coverage by Oppo would determine when I get this done! Feedback from people that have already had it done would also be a factor. We shall see!
post #9739 of 39878 Old 05-07-2009, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by caeguy View Post

I just upgraded my firmware and I'm noticing two changes..

During SACD playback, the Title Track flashes twice when going in between songs. Anyone else?

Second, the BD tray is slower.

On a different note, when my tray returns into the unit, it returns at a constant velocity until its 3/4 of the way in and then it "slows" before going in all the way. Is this normal?

I sent an email into Oppo and they're looking into the Title flashing. Anyone else?

Samsung PN60F8500, Panasonic TH-42PD25U/P, Pioneer VSX-1018TXH-K, Oppo BDP-93, Aperion Audio 5T&5C, HSU STF-2, PS3, Wii, HTPC, SD Homerun Prime, Ceton Echo
post #9740 of 39878 Old 05-07-2009, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by videoaddikt View Post

I'm getting mine today too! Yours is just across the bay, you probably have it now...

Has anyone received a tracking # with order date of may 5th?
post #9741 of 39878 Old 05-07-2009, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

Has anyone received a tracking # with order date of may 5th?

Did you order on the 5th? No tracking numbers are given until it actually ships.
post #9742 of 39878 Old 05-07-2009, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Are the remote codes for the 83 the same as for the 970? IF they are, are there any extra buttons/features on the 83?
post #9743 of 39878 Old 05-07-2009, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

For the basic functions, they are identical.

There are other buttons, like the dedicated "colored buttons" (Blu-ray) , PIP, SAP, Light, Pure Audio, Page Up/Down, and Dimmer which are not a part of the DV-970HD remote code list.
post #9744 of 39878 Old 05-07-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:

Roberta,

I am going to borrow some decent analog cables and a McIntosh MC205 next week from a buddy of mine. He's rebuilding his room and they will be out of commission for a while.

I'm looking forward to seeing how analog will perform out of my -83. Sadly, I'll have to use my Denon 2807 as a pre-, so I hope that doesn't limit things.Stay tuned

Don't forget that the most important evaluation equipment you own needs to be tuned, cleaned and prepped for the audition. So, make sure you have a couple of Q-Tips handy.

The other thing to remember is that A/V evaluation and appreciation is like being an oenophile. Some like red, some like white, some like them sweet, some like them dry. Is HDMI better than component? Depends on whom you ask.

My biggest concern with the BDP-83 is the down-mixing of the 5.1/6.1/7.1 channels to generate a L/R stereo signal. How is this processing affecting the resultant sound?

Has anyone compared a 5.1 (or more) channel audio stream to the down-mixed 2 channel one? I'd like someone's opinion on whether the sound qualities are comparable. I'm not referring to the you-are-there feeling of 5.1+ channels, simply the quality of the audio stream.

Thanks.

Roberta
post #9745 of 39878 Old 05-07-2009, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoaddikt View Post

Did you order on the 5th? No tracking numbers are given until it actually ships.

Yes I did order on the 5th. Jus wondering if amyone else ordered on the 5th and received a shipping notice.
post #9746 of 39878 Old 05-07-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

Yes I did order on the 5th. Jus wondering if amyone else ordered on the 5th and received a shipping notice.

I ordered on the 1st, and it has not shipped. CC has a pending charge for the right amount, but site says 'confirmed' and no emails.

[i didn't post when i got the email, and didn't post when i ordered, this is my first noise posting]

wisdom is the domain of the wis (FZ)
some things i know some things i don't
post #9747 of 39878 Old 05-07-2009, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

For the basic functions, they are identical.

There are other buttons, like the dedicated "colored buttons" (Blu-ray) , PIP, SAP, Light, Pure Audio, Page Up/Down, and Dimmer which are not a part of the DV-970HD remote code list.

And if you use the RS232 there are control options that are not found on the 83 remote....
post #9748 of 39878 Old 05-07-2009, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGJr1 View Post

I ordered on the 1st, and it has not shipped. CC has a pending charge for the right amount, but site says 'confirmed' and no emails.

[i didn't post when i got the email, and didn't post when i ordered, this is my first noise posting]

My CC was charged already and it still has not shipped.
post #9749 of 39878 Old 05-07-2009, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D View Post

And if you use the RS232 there are control options that are not found on the 83 remote....

There are. For example, you have discrete resolution controls (ie. you can directly input a resolution, rather than having to press Resolution then the Navigation Keys to select the resolution you want).

Check the RS232 Control Protocol sheet for a full list of commands.
post #9750 of 39878 Old 05-07-2009, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I ordered on April 29th and I don't have a tracking # yet either.

My first order status said ship date would be May 5th. Later it changed to between May 5th and 21st.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page