Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 376 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #11251 of 39352 Old 05-18-2009, 10:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1165 View Post

This would work too, I suppose, but this would require increasing AVR volume in order to compensate. Seems to make more sense to just increase the subwoofer up 10dB instead of lowering all of the other 7 (or 5) channels. I'm not an expert, but wouldn't lowering -10dB on all 7 channels require the receiver to work more in order to produce the same result which can be achieved by simply increasing the subwoofer +10dB?

It is best to do the +10DB increase in the receiver/pre-pro if possible so that the analog sub channel is not overdriven. I can get up to a +12DB increase on the sub channel on my pre-pro so I am doing a +10DB in the pre-pro and a +5DB with the Oppo since I am using bass management and running all speakers as small for the necessary +15DB total.

My bet is that it might cause signal to noise issues in some systems if the other non-sub channels are driven -10DB lower than normal, but I have never heard a report of that being done or implemented in any existing players. I have seen some players that will only decrease/lower the output levels instead of increasing them though which can make it more difficult to achieve balancing in some systems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11252 of 39352 Old 05-18-2009, 10:52 PM
cwt
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrell View Post

it doesnt have to do with PLII setting in the oppo. all that setting does is convert a stereo track into PLII. if you have a 5.1 track its setting does not matter. the oppo seems to be taking any 5.0 or 5.1 channel DTS or DTS-MA signals and copying the side speakers to the back speakers...which again i like and wish that it would work for DD DD+ and TrueHD, but it doesnt. my only worry is that when i have a 7.1 DTS-MA signal i am not getting the true back channels.

Thought the pl2 was just shorthand for pl2x dtrell [preliminary was stamped all over it]; when I notice the 983 has dd ex decoding [which can presumably be manually forced without a flag ?]; its a little retrograde . More 7.1 mixes would be nice from Hollywood

All this is complicated by the mixdown requirements of the new codecs Roger Dressler explained to me ; 7.1ch folds down to 5.1 then to 2.0

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post15215954

The loss of the back surround when decoding say a dts hdma 6.1 soundtrack [we were soldiers aus version has one ;quite rare ] is something to take into a/c possibly
post #11253 of 39352 Old 05-18-2009, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmytty View Post

How many people are ordering with RS232? To those with RS232 that are interested in a 'budget' theater automation setup, make some noise.

I'm not really sure what you mean, but I have an 83 with the RS-232 mod. Works very well and has a nice, complete command set.
post #11254 of 39352 Old 05-18-2009, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekster View Post

I think it's the switch. I can't get a signal from another BD player (Sony S350) through this setup anymore. It seems to work if I bypass the switch.

Anyone have a reliable 5x1 HDMI switch suggestion?

I don't know of any other 5x1 switchers. I've used the Gefen 4x1 HDMI 1.3 switcher for almost 2 yrs with my Onkyo TX-NR905 without any problems. The 905 doesn't have enough HDMI inputs for my equipment. I know Gefen has a 8x1 and 6x2 switcher but for a lot more money. Oppo has a 3x1 switcher.
post #11255 of 39352 Old 05-18-2009, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmytty View Post

Not to poke a hole in the 'Oppo almighty' perception balloon but you do remember that this company has operations in China...right?

Because their manufacturing and tech support are not one in the same. I can guarantee that all of their phone and e-mail staff are local to their Mountain View, CA office.
post #11256 of 39352 Old 05-18-2009, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver View Post

why didnt Oppo make mention to the idea of setting all channels but the SW to -10dB in the player?

Because one setting (+10dB to subwoofer) is easier to set then adjusting all channels down -10dB.
post #11257 of 39352 Old 05-18-2009, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjensen View Post

I am also assuming this is the proper setting for all formats (DD/DTS/SACD/DVDA etc). not only for movies, correct?

Correct. It should be universal .
post #11258 of 39352 Old 05-18-2009, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_J_G View Post

I just tried playing the Elton John Goodbye Yellow Brick Road DVD-Audio and noticed that I cannot access the 4 bonus tracks (nos. 18-21) on the disc (my old Sony DVD player has no problem accessing these tracks). Does anyone else have this disc, and if so, are you having this problem? Many thanks. John

Are the four bonus tracks on the DVD-Audio, DVD-Video layer, or both layers? You mention that your previous Sony DVD player was able to access them, so assuming that they are on the DVD-Video layer, try changing the DVD-Audio priority to DVD-Video. Can you access these bonus tracks?

Are the bonus tracks part of the audio experience, or do you have to specifically access them?
post #11259 of 39352 Old 05-18-2009, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulbaby View Post

Needless to say, I find the pumped up evaluations of the Adoption classes just that "pumped up." Perhaps they just didn't go in depth or navigate much or use the special features but rarely, but this thing needs a significant firmware upgrade to solve what seems to be significant DVD menu display capabilities.

The errors you are experiencing are, for the most part, not global issues. These are disc specific and need to be addressed as such. We have seen a couple firmware releases in the past which were done explicitly because of random, one-disc menu and other navigational errors.

Always send a list of discs you are experiencing issues with as well as a description of the explicit errors. If possible, send OPPO your discs, as it will ensure that they will actually be able to have some face time with your reported error. OPPO has purchased discs in the past to investigate compatibility issues, but they do not have an infinite supply of funds. Out of courtesy, offer to send in your discs. They will always return it to you after properly diagnosing the error.
post #11260 of 39352 Old 05-19-2009, 12:28 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Out of courtesy, offer to send in your discs. They will always return it to you after properly diagnosing the error.

That's amazing...I would gladly offer that given the opportunity. How I wish Oppo would've built a universal HD (with HD DVD playback) player!
post #11261 of 39352 Old 05-19-2009, 12:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:

How I wish Oppo would've built a universal HD (with HD DVD playback) player!

Ditto. However it comes down to being able to get parts... both for manufacturing and repair. The fact is that there are no parts being manufactured, and there won't be either unless Toshiba decides to open that avenue again, and we know that ain't gonna happen.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #11262 of 39352 Old 05-19-2009, 03:40 AM
Advanced Member

"When using the multi-channel analog outputs the Subwoofer output is -10dB lower than the other channels. If your receiver does not perform a +10dB subwoofer boost, then you will need to manually set Subwoofer to +10dB."

Neuromancer: "Additional: Subwoofer will be -10dB off the bat, and another -5dB (total of -15dB) when the player is performing the bass management over multi-channel analog."

I missed this despite following a lot of the posts in this forum. I have small speakers, and send 5.1 analog audio to my receiver (Panasonic SA-XR57). I just re-read the receiver's user manual, and it indicates that the subwoofer default setting is 10, with a range of 1 to 19 (versus -10 to +10 on the other channels with a default of 0), so I presume that the receiver "performs a +10 dB subwoofer boost". What is with the extra +5 dB that Neuromancer is referring to?
post #11263 of 39352 Old 05-19-2009, 03:46 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstiles4 View Post

Would you not be scaling twice anyway with BD's? You would still be going from 1080p > 1080i > 1365x768 or 1080p > 720p > 1365x768?

1080p > 1080i is not scaling, it's interlacing. Scaling changes the image size. Whenever you change image size you have to "make up" information, i.e. dither (with the resolutions we're talking about). When properly done, 1080p24 -> 1080i60 should not lose any video (pixel) information. If you go from 1080p -> 720p you are losing information, some new pixels are created by dithering. When you scale to 1365x768 you are now dithering again and some of the video information being used to create new pixels was not in the original image. With 1080i60 you deinterlace to 1080p and then scale down to 1365x768. You may not be able to see a difference except with certain test patterns.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #11264 of 39352 Old 05-19-2009, 03:48 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage View Post

If a display supports YCbCr 4:4:4 and YCbCr 4:2:2 which color space is recommended?

See the FAQ: What if I want to set the color space manually?

-Bill
post #11265 of 39352 Old 05-19-2009, 03:50 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulbaby View Post

Ya know, since I received my 83 I've had nothing but problems with the play list and navigation displays on DVDs. For example, the DVD-a navigation problem posted earlier which was verified by Oppo, the Santana Super Natural has another problem not displaying the play list at all and when a playlist option is selected from a track menu it displays nothing. Then if you hit stop, the whole disk starts over from the intro.

Other problems are with DVD movies. LET THE RIGHT ONE IN has problems displaying setting entries, special feature entries and navigation in general.

I had no trouble with the Blu-ray LET THE RIGHT ONE IN; do you really mean the DVD?

I'm sure OPPO would welcome details on specific disc issues.

-Bill
post #11266 of 39352 Old 05-19-2009, 04:12 AM

I've had the BPD-83 for almost a week and it has performed flawlessly. However, last night when I turned it on, I had no video (HDMI --> Pio PRO-1540HD)...HDMI audio set to OFF I did the following:

1. Powered it off and back on.
2. Unplugged it and plugged it back in
3. Connected a new HDMI cable
4. Changed HDMI inputs on the T.V.

Nothing, above worked. I then connected the component video and that worked. I then reset the factory defaults after which the HDMI output was restored. Prior to this fault, I had the Output resolution set to 1080p and 1080p24 set to ON. I don't know if that had an impact on this problem (like I said above, it's been working perfectly up to that point and I have used it a lot since I received it last week) but I now have them set to Auto.

Also, while I had no HDMI video output (I had my AVP set to the external 7.1 inputs) I heard a few snapping sounds through my audio system and was playing no disc at that time.

I've relayed this information to Oppo.
post #11267 of 39352 Old 05-19-2009, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bborzell View Post

The link shows that device as a printer server.

Thats true, it is a soho print server with a live RJ45/ethernet port. I had a unslugged NSLU2 NAS hooked up to it and it works great. You can easily add a 5 or 8 port switch to the server and it functions very well. Great range. Although its not an wifi class "N", but it should work for firmware updates and BD-live.
post #11268 of 39352 Old 05-19-2009, 04:55 AM

Has anyone experienced read problems with AVCH recordings? I have several discs that I made and they all freeze at the start menu. These same discs play fine on my PS3 and Pioneer Elite 05. They were made with the software included in the Hauppauge unit. Any advice would be appriciated.
post #11269 of 39352 Old 05-19-2009, 05:10 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Misencik View Post

Has anyone experienced read problems with AVCH recordings? I have several discs that I made and they all freeze at the start menu. These same discs play fine on my PS3 and Pioneer Elite 05. They were made with the software included in the Hauppauge unit. Any advice would be appriciated.

I only have one example: the AVCHD version of the AVS HD 709 calibration disc. It is working from both disc and USB.

I would expect AVCHD changes in future firmware. You might ask OPPO if they would like one of your discs as a test case.

-Bill
post #11270 of 39352 Old 05-19-2009, 05:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by joel57 View Post

I've had the BPD-83 for almost a week and it has performed flawlessly. However, last night when I turned it on, I had no video (HDMI --> Pio PRO-1540HD)...HDMI audio set to OFF I did the following:

As a general rule, any time this happens you should start by simply toggling through the resolution settings with the remote.
post #11271 of 39352 Old 05-19-2009, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHDTV? View Post

Not really, but insurance might care. You are not suppose to daisychain cables together or have an extention cord through your wall, etc. If you have a fire, they could blame the way you hooked your electricity.

Right now for me, it is daisy chained (Oppo to Surge protector to UPS).

Oppo emailed saying that the PC cable (C13) would be fine to use instead of the provided C17. Then later they emailed again and they said that they had found an unused long PC cable in their office and was willing to ship it out to me. I had searched all day at work and also asked the datacenter manager for one and he gave one to me, so I emailed Oppo back and said there was no need to ship one to me. I can see why you all say they have great customer service!

The cable worked fine (but I only tried it for like 5 minutes yesterday, but I'm sure it is fine).

BTW, my work's datacenter manager said that they way I had the Oppo hooked up is not a fire hazard. He said an power strip into a UPS is fine. He said that a power strip into another power strip is a fire hazard.
post #11272 of 39352 Old 05-19-2009, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

Ditto. However it comes down to being able to get parts... both for manufacturing and repair. The fact is that there are no parts being manufactured, and there won't be either unless Toshiba decides to open that avenue again, and we know that ain't gonna happen.

I thought it was a matter of programming the laser pickup (besides programming for HDDVD) to read at different levels (since they are both Blue Laser). There were at least a couple of manufacturers that made those chips. Also, I think Toshiba released all royalties to HDDVD (i.e. don't have to pay them), so it would be almost "free" to add in.

BTW Smarty, I love the Cool Grape Kool-Aid avatar. The Green one kind of sucked. Grape is probably one of the best flavors (along with Cherry).
post #11273 of 39352 Old 05-19-2009, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

I think this has been asked before, but I can't find the post or in the manual or looking at the Oppo menu.

Is there Native Passthrough with Analog Outs? I want to turn off Matrixing to make sure that the original sound is coming out. I know according to the manual when the proper signal is coming out, it won't maxtrix. I'm not sure if that is the case. For example, when I played that MKV file that was over 4GB, the file was 2 channel (which I could see when I switched over to optical out). But when I used the analog out, it was 5.1. Is this right? Shouldn't the analog be outputting 2 channel also?

Thanks in advance
post #11274 of 39352 Old 05-19-2009, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekster View Post

I think it's the switch. I can't get a signal from another BD player (Sony S350) through this setup anymore. It seems to work if I bypass the switch.

Anyone have a reliable 5x1 HDMI switch suggestion?

This may be overkill: Marantz AV3002 (6X2). It's an excellent switcher and includes a remote or can be added to a universal remote i.e., Harmony One and works reliably.

For what it's worth,
Richard
post #11275 of 39352 Old 05-19-2009, 07:11 AM

I have encountered a problem that I have not found by searching this thread. I all too frequently download 24/96 music from HDTracks, then burn them to DVD+R with DVD Audio Solo at full resolution. They have played with no problems in my 981. The first track of each disc plays fine in the -83 - then no sound - then the Oppo's display shows the remaining tracks going by in a flash - then displaying stop. If I try to access other tracks, the track number comes up followed by the rapid scanning.
I contacted the very nice folks at Oppo about this. The gentleman I talked to seemed very concerned, and ask for a copy. It is in the mail. I'm curious to know if anyone else is burning high rez dvds, and if so what results you've had. BTW I also burn these to cdr at 16/44.1. These play without problems. Another BTW - the cdr versions through the -83 sound much better than the DVD-A discs did through th 981.
I am so impressed with the sonic quality of this player's analog outs. I love my MC sacds, but was not expecting the increase in information (especially timbre) that I am getting via the 2 channel outs to preamp (by-passing the avr). Wind instruments actually sound like a column of air is going through them. You current or former wind players know of what I speak!
As so many others have voiced so often...Thanks to all responsible for this thread. The amount of information here is amazing. The frequently asked questions section is superb!

Cheers
post #11276 of 39352 Old 05-19-2009, 07:21 AM

I've reading alot of comments on the -10db attenuation built into the 83. I don't understand why they did it but I do understand how to fix it. If all your other channels are at 0db, then if you boost the SW +10db, all the channels are at 0db. It's very simple -10 +10= 0. You are not going to over drive your amps input because you are at 0db.
post #11277 of 39352 Old 05-19-2009, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith1 View Post

I've reading alot of comments on the -10db attenuation built into the 83. I don't understand why they did it but I do understand how to fix it. If all your other channels are at 0db, then if you boost the SW +10db, all the channels are at 0db. It's very simple -10 +10= 0. You are not going to over drive your amps input because you are at 0db.

Please read...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=748147
post #11278 of 39352 Old 05-19-2009, 07:34 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith1 View Post

As to "why", I was directed to LFE, subwoofers and interconnects explained.

-Bill
post #11279 of 39352 Old 05-19-2009, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmus77 View Post

Don't apologize; you stated it well. I have a master of music degree in organ performance, so as a musician (composer and former performer) I can really relate to what you are saying. I'm a pretty demanding listener, and the audio portion of the 83 just totally blows me away. I expected (and received) great PQ, but the quality of the audio is maybe even better than the quality of the video, IMHO.... now I'm getting the itch to upgrade my Monitor Audio Silvers.... shhh, don't tell my husband!!!!

The MA Golds are awesome, but definately dont tell your husband the price lol.
post #11280 of 39352 Old 05-19-2009, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHDTV? View Post

I think this has been asked before, but I can't find the post or in the manual or looking at the Oppo menu.

Is there Native Passthrough with Analog Outs? I want to turn off Matrixing to make sure that the original sound is coming out. I know according to the manual when the proper signal is coming out, it won't maxtrix. I'm not sure if that is the case. For example, when I played that MKV file that was over 4GB, the file was 2 channel (which I could see when I switched over to optical out). But when I used the analog out, it was 5.1. Is this right? Shouldn't the analog be outputting 2 channel also?

Thanks in advance

Make sure that you have Pro Logic II disabled. That should do what you want.

gonk
Beta tester: BDP-83 / BDP-80
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Oppo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page