Old 03-03-2009, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover2002 View Post

So its just this player or all players, or something only Mods who have there players chipped can discuss?

Do as he says, not as he does.

He says do not talk about the region restrictions of the player. We will stick to that in this thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2009, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobearQSI View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong (I don't own any OPPOs yet), but doesn't the BDP-83 upscale DVD to 1080p24, where the 983 does not do 24fps?

Correct, but that falls into the "tweaks here and there" section of my statement. I was not about to prattle on and on about the differences.

From a core standpoint, the DV-983H and the BDP-83 are identical in terms of de-interlacing and scaling. You can do things that the DV-983H can't, which includes 1080p/24Hz, a demo mode (adjust picture settings on half a screen while comparing the results on an unmodified other half), 30 and 36-bit Deep Color, etc.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
"Bugs, improper processing, or other aggravations joerod experiences now may or may not be in the final product. So forming a formal judgment now may be a disservice to the final product OPPO produces."

You allow the 50 to post their opinions and some of the beta testers currently. I think that this is an open forum to post opinions about the performance of this player. I have the feeling that opinions are being controlled.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

Your right. I should have said the next 100. Maybe if the yes vote is 90% or higher they may choose to open it up to the general public. This is just conjecture on my part, but you never know.

No problem, congratulations, I sure wish I was one of the first 50. I'm hoping for the next round.

-Tom
Old 03-03-2009, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

The key to a "Yes" vote is "stability" and "features". If you find the performance is good enough to be used as your primary DVD/Blu-ray/CD/Media player, you are excited to show it off to your friends and neighbors, then you would vote "Yes".

If you have reservations about using the player in the company of others, find that the performance is below standard, or find that it is not becoming your primary disc player, then you would vote "No" until OPPO corrects your concerns.

Thanks, well I guess to sum it up in a couple of words, it might be correct in saying ready or not for the "general public" than.

-Tom
Old 03-03-2009, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I still wonder why companies insist on including crappy analog RCA cables with their units. Those cables have long since lost their usefulness.

Well, from my experience, it is so you will have something to give your non-AV fanatic friends when their crappy cables screw up.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by img eL View Post

When did u get yours?

Mon.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

Very interested in your commentary on sd upscaling. I have the Onkyo version of your XA2 and the Pioneer and think very highly of both in regard to upscaling.

have major toy envy!!!

Just wanted to give some quick feedback.

After watching various scenes in Gladiator on the Oppo, Pioneer, and
Toshiba I must say that all three are superb at upscaling. I would be
happy with any of the above, but I am lucky to have all three.

Honestly, it is extremely difficult to choose a favorite. The XA2 looked
better in one scene, the Oppo was better in another and the
Pioneer held its own against both.

If your looking for a good Blu-ray player with excellent upscaling
and don't mind slow load times the Pioneer is a great choice, especially
at the current price it could be had for.

If your looking for a universal player,(Blu-ray, SA-CD, DVD-A?,
excellent upscaling, great customer service) the Oppo is a no brainer.

What can I say about the XA2, the REON is superb and I still own
about 100 HD DVD's so it's staying with me.

Too bad the Oppo can't play HD DVD's.

Note: The Oppo was the slowest of the three as far
as menu speed is concerned, but I'm sure this could be
addressed via firmware.

Display: Pioneer PRO-151 60" Elite
Blu-ray player: OPPO BDP-93, Sony BDP-S1000ES
Processor: Onkyo PR-SC885
Amplifier: Emotiva IPS-1 150Wx7
Game Console: Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS4
Speakers: Mythos ST(Fronts), Mythos Ten(Center), Mythos One(Rears)
Old 03-03-2009, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

I encourage you to exercise this feature, and further, to write up your test cases so you can try it again after firmware updates.

As to what happens: it's complicated. I would like to hear your report without prejudicing you.

The variables:
  • Secondary Audio setting on the player
  • Secondary Audio setting on the disc
  • PIP toggle on the remote
  • SAP toggle on the remote
  • time index in the title; PIP/SAP is not always available
  • the specific title; they behave differently

The Universal Studio discs with U-Control I have tried all have a bug: the on-screen help says that a remote button (red) will toggle the PIP/SAP features on and off. It's actually only one-way: the button will shut off the feature but you have to go to the disc menu to re-enable it.

-Bill

Bill,

I think I hate secondary audio and PIP! No I know I do. I never played with it cause I am a kinda guy who watches a movie and that's it, but since we are looking for stuff with this player and trying everything and anything figured I'd give this a run. Something diff.

Anyway, The Hulk. . .U Control. I got everything turned on. So I got the U Control screen up and when something comes up I select it. I have secondary audio and PIP on in the settings menu of the player BTW.

Lets take the frig screen with good ol' Stan Lee. I pull it up the audio deff changes. But if I hit display it still says DTSMA? Though it's suppose to change. I can turn the sound on and off with the remote. It will come on and off. I am hearing a diff in sound when it switches back and forth but the display button still shows DTSMA but if I hit the secondary audio button it says DTSHD 5.1 or something close to that. Is that what the sound is down res to? Am I making sense here? I think I'm really confused. Also if I have button clicks on or off I thought the audio when I hit display says DTSMA. Thought it is suppose to change with button clicks also?

Going to add another scene: in the park 2 days without going all green. I can turn PIP on and off with the pip button on the remote and also the secondary audio on and off. again what's up with the audio? displays reads DTSMA?

I'm very confused. I need some guidance with y thoughts I think. I am going on and on here. . . Enlighten me.

Is it me or is this confusing. This is why I never used it!

lol

jimi
Old 03-03-2009, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by petmic10 View Post

Just wanted to give some quick feedback.

After watching various scenes in Gladiator on the Oppo, Pioneer, and
Toshiba I must say that all three are superb at upscaling. I would be
happy with any of the above, but I am lucky to have all three.

Honestly, it is extremely difficult to choose a favorite. The XA2 looked
better in one scene, the Oppo was better in another and the
Pioneer held its own against both.

If your looking for a good Blu-ray player with excellent upscaling
and don't mind slow load times the Pioneer is a great choice, especially
at the current price it could be had for.

If your looking for a universal player,(Blu-ray, SA-CD, DVD-A?,
excellent upscaling, great customer service) the Oppo is a no brainer.

What can I say about the XA2, the REON is superb and I still own
about 100 HD DVD's so it's staying with me.

Too bad the Oppo can't play HD DVD's.

Note: The Oppo was the slowest of the three as far
as menu speed is concerned, but I'm sure this could be
addressed via firmware.

Wow! The pioneer, now I am wandering. Great review. This is the information that I am looking for.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:13 PM

Liked: 10
re cables.

I use blue jeans for HDMI, the rest I make myself
Old 03-03-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD View Post

Wow! The pioneer, now I am wandering. Great review. This is the information that I am looking for.

I agree - thanks for this quick review! I am also considering the pio 51 - especially since I have a kuro on the way. Anyone else care to compare these two? I know there are a few more EAP members who have the 51. Please let us know your thoughts on upscaling sd dvds.

Thanks again!
Old 03-03-2009, 08:28 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post

I am hearing a diff in sound when it switches back and forth but the display button still shows DTSMA but if I hit the secondary audio button it says DTSHD 5.1 or something close to that. Is that what the sound is down res to?

I'm guessing that the main On Screen Display shows the attributes of the main track and the SAP key shows the more modest attributes of the SAP track.

Quote:

Is it me or is this confusing.

Could you repeat the question?

-Bill
Old 03-03-2009, 08:29 PM

Hey there all,

Thought I'd post--after initial tinkering and hookup--some observations.

First off, where I am coming from. I'd say I am WAY behind the curve when it comes to systems and knowledge of others on this forum. But I'm WAY ahead of the "average schlep" (no offense intended) when it comes to home A/V.

Having said that, I have my EAP BDP-83 hooked via HDMI into a Sony 4400ES receiver. Both components support HDMI 1.3. Setup is all good; I'm bitstreaming (is that even a word?) to the 4400; I've read the Oppo and Sony manuals cover to cover; I've calibrated, using the Sony mic, my 7.1 setup.

Here are issues I am having:

The 4400ES recognizes the rear channel as ONE channel; I'm not getting discrete 7.1 surround. It's, I think, 6.1. I don't have another 7.1 component to see if this is an Oppo or Sony issue. I plan on calling Oppo when I have a few free hours (probably the weekend) to talk to tech support. I have the same issue with the one SACD I have; my receiver is sensing a single back channel. I thought SACD was 5.1, so I don't know why it's sending audio to the rear channel to begin with.

I've also had some audio "skipping"--minor sonic hiccups where the audio drops for less than a second then comes back--it happeneed about 3 or 4 times while watching a BRD tonight.

Are any other EAP'ers experiencing any kind of audio hiccup?

Having said all of that, the wife and I watched our first full Blu-Ray film tonight--Wall-E.

It looked and sounded stunning on the BDP-83. My wife, who usually is only involved in our home theater when she notices how annoyed I am when something doesn't work, commented on sound and picture.

So far, I'm mighty impressed with the player. I have issues but they are only because I like things to work exactly as they should.

Also-any other EAP folks notice the LED in the upper right hand corner of the BDP-83? It looks like a wireless symbol. In the manual, it refers to it on page 5, item 10 as "Reserved-not in use".

Anyone think that the BDP-83 with eventually support wireless networking via firmware upgrade? It'd be nice not to have to buy a WEB...
Old 03-03-2009, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

What's wrong with "a stack of Oppo players looks cool" as a reason?

I sold my 983 and kept the 980.

The latest 983H that sold this week on e-Bay sold for $405.00
Old 03-03-2009, 08:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrollens View Post

Old 03-03-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:

Equivalent to DV-983H; better than DV-981HD

If you already have the DV-983H, there is nothing in the BDP-83 that will make you want to upgrade.

There is one that might make me upgrade from my current 983/PS3 combo: the ability to decode the lossless audio codecs and pass them over the 7.1 analog outs. My pre/pro is an Aragon Stage One, dating from the pre-HDMI era, but a spectacular performer in every respect (particularly 2 ch audio), which can accept 7.1 input. Not ideal, perhaps, but I couldn't justify replacing it just for the addition of HDMI inputs.

So if anyone is inclined to test the sound quality of the 7.1 analog outs (beyond Gonk's review, of course), that will be read with great interest.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrollens View Post

That was mine!
Old 03-03-2009, 08:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover2002 View Post

So lets get this straight, over in the Blu software section you freely advertise and talk of having your player chipped:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post15794571

So its just this player or all players, or something only Mods who have there players chipped can discuss?

The topic relating to this player is OFF TOPIC...why? Cause OPPO has stated it's NOT a feature this player will offer. So because it's a NON feature, the subject becomes OFF TOPIC. Since that will not change, it's a fruitless endeavor to continue to discuss it....so we as mods said "enough" and "move on"

Is the subject of Region free playback off limits at AVS...NO.

I hope that clears it up and thereby ends the discussion and topic.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
Feeler: I'm thinking of selling my JTR Triple 8HT's Let me know if you are interested?
For Sale: ACS PlanarTrap (freestanding acoustic panel) ($300/pair)[/B]:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...tic-panel.html
Old 03-03-2009, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halsan40 View Post

My BDP-83 won't be here until Friday

A very important issue to me is if you can simultaneously output audio to HDMI, Analog outputs and Digital coax.

You can - as neuromancer mentioned earlier, all outputs are active simultaneously.

gonk
Beta tester: BDP-83 / BDP-80
Old 03-03-2009, 09:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstelder View Post

H
Here are issues I am having:

The 4400ES recognizes the rear channel as ONE channel; I'm not getting discrete 7.1 surround. It's, I think, 6.1. I don't have another 7.1 component to see if this is an Oppo or Sony issue. I plan on calling Oppo when I have a few free hours (probably the weekend) to talk to tech support. I have the same issue with the one SACD I have; my receiver is sensing a single back channel. I thought SACD was 5.1, so I don't know why it's sending audio to the rear channel to begin with.

That would be a setup issue with the receiver. It's applying some surround field or decoder to the input.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

hooked up a set of rca cables tonite and started listening to a cd, switched back and forth between HDMI and analog. Well 4 hours later I finally stopped. I could of listened all night but I have to go to work tomorrow. I really like the sound through analog over HDMI into my Denon 3808. This is personal preference and is entirely subjective. This is the best sound I have yet heard from Cd's in my system, so I am extremely pleased with it's performance. The 980 and 983 were good, but this to me is better.......
Old 03-03-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNN Junkie View Post

So you may not like "warm", but Warm is something that I like. Preference really.

Also....if people object to "warm" sounding equipment, often relating to tubed equipment, why is it that few people describe solid state equipment as being "cold"? Similarly, the superior ability of tubed equipment to reproduce an accurate soundstage is rarely mentioned, yet this is a primary component of recreating the original performance. Why harp on the immeasurable "warmth" of a component, when soundstage is clearly identifiable? So each type of amplification has its strengths. Some call it warmth, I call it accuracy. Much like the debate about digital vs. analog reproduction, proponents of analog sourced material maintain that analog recording reproduces mid range sounds superior to digital recordings. Proponents of digital recordings use its superior bass response as one of the indicators of digital's superiority.

When I have compared soundboard recordings of live performances that I made in the 70's [small jazz clubs in an unnamed Canadian city :-)] played on the two different types of pre and power amps, the reproduction of the music played through the tubed equipment sounded more like the original performance.

We can debate this stuff forever, but like the appreciation of fine food, automobiles, music and video, everyone has an opinion. None are right and none are wrong.

As I mentioned in my initial posting, if the Oppo Blu-Ray player receives outstanding reviews for its audio reproduction, then that will be wonderful and I will seriously consider it as my main audio player. But in the meantime, I'll look at it as a great video player that provides me with acceptable audio.

Roberta
Old 03-03-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:

Equivalent to DV-983H; better than DV-981HD

If you already have the DV-983H, there is nothing in the BDP-83 that will make you want to upgrade.

Thanks - better upscaling is something I might pay for. I went back to Gonk's review of the 3 previous Oppo players at http://www.prillaman.net/oppodvd_review.html That helped clear things up a bit for me.

Oppo hasn't had a replacement for the DV-983H since last fall. Sellers are getting $350 and up for used units. Without a flaagship unit to sell, one wonders how much longer Oppo can afford to sit on its stock of BD players.

BDP-83 EAP 300 Member
Old 03-03-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:

And at what magnitude was the price difference? One of the reasons why people liked the DV-980H (and its predecessor, the DV-970HD) was that they were very cheap but offered decent performance

One of the issues I have with "philes" is that they are never willing to accept that a lower cost piece of kit offers nearly the same performance for a fraction of the cost.......Sometimes "adequate" is good enough.

It is always up to the person to figure out what level of quality and money they are willing to spend. Do not belittle something just because it is cheaper or because it has lower quality.
Quoted for truth.

I have no problem at all with your comments. However.....I never mentioned price. I simply said that I felt that the 980 is a decent audio player. That is not belittling it, nor did I badmouth it. If I hadn't thought the audio was decent, I would not have bought two of them. Is it a fantastic deal for the money? Absolutely. Is it the best audio player out there? Definitely not.

I also accept that "a lower cost piece of kit offers nearly the same performance for a fraction of the cost.......Sometimes "adequate" is good enough". The issue is whether one is willing to spend the difference on diminished returns. As we know, in the audio field, product "A" can cost 3-4 times as much as product "B", yet sound only marginally better. One could argue that as "B" is almost as good as "A", it is foolhardy to spend significantly more money for such a small return. Although my equipment isn't outrageously expensive, I have always been willing to spend the extra bucks to get what I consider to be an excellent piece of equipment instead of a very good one. I DO appreciate the difference and am willing to spend the money.

It also comes down to one's interests. If you are an oenophile, you may turn your nose up (no joke intended) at $12 bottles of wine and insist that one cannot get a decent bottle for under $40. Personally, I've been buying the same great Aussie $14 white wine for 3-4 years and feel that spending more than $20 on a bottle is unjustified (for me).

If you're a videophile, you may say that you want the best TV and are prepared to spend the bucks to get it. If you are a car buff, then Porsche, BMW, Lexus and Mercedes may be the only cars you'll ever consider.

I simply want the best possible sound that my recession-affected bank balance can handle.

Nice chatting!

Roberta
Old 03-03-2009, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

Hey, us beta testers got an ugly green bag in the original shipments instead of the cool black that you see in that pic.

Rob:

Please don't moan the Green Bag blues !!! I actually thought that was the most brilliant thing Oppo has ever come up with, in this day of [most appropriate] consumerism green-thinking. I was actually hoping they would extend it through to their official release of the product. How great, I thought, would it be to read in my Yahoo browser's "Today's Highlight's", that Oppo, a small but up-and-coming AV company, had included a reusable environmentally-conscious green-product shopping bag, with release of their newest product for its protection during shipping. Totally GREAT PR !!! I imagine it's probably been done before, but what a great promo for a company that produces high-end disposably-income-affordable electronic products in today's atmosphere of financial and environmental conservatism. A big black bag, I guess, is just as usable as a green one, but doesn't make as visually an identifiable/impacting statement of a company's trend to be in keeping with the times. I'm obviously overstating the significance of the whole thing, but I was really excited about the green bag photo in Gonk's review, and was kinda' disappointed that it didn't carry through to official release of the product. And kudos to whoever at Oppo thought of it in the first place. Very Cool !!!

-- da Choge

BDP-83 EAP (second group)
Old 03-03-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterryo View Post

hooked up a set of rca cables tonite and started listening to a cd, switched back and forth between HDMI and analog. Well 4 hours later I finally stopped. I could of listened all night but I have to go to work tomorrow. I really like the sound through analog over HDMI into my Denon 3808. This is personal preference and is entirely subjective.

Ah...a man (?) after my own heart.

Roberta
Old 03-03-2009, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirac View Post

Can anyone comment on how the BDP-83 looks on a 768p panel? I have a Panasonic 8UK 50" plasma. Right now I'm feeding it 720p from a 980H and I'm very happy with it. Not sure how much more detail I'll pick up with the BDP without going to a 1080-line panel. What resolution is preferred, 1080i or 720p?

I'm bumping this question. On a 768 plasma, how visible is the difference between BluRay and an upconverted DVD (I have an Oppo 981)?
Old 03-03-2009, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I still wonder why companies insist on including crappy analog RCA cables with their units. Those cables have long since lost their usefulness.

The RCA connector will be around for a long time, unfortunately.

On the other hand it may not be long before a child asks: "Dad what the heck is that weird looking cable?", "Well son, back in the day I was very excited to hook up one of those suckers to my brand new S-VHS player".

Ah, memories.

Joe
Old 03-03-2009, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma View Post

I think it is because there is a legal requirement or industry standard to supply connections that are guaranteed to work with "every" device - which is the lowest common denominator and therefore the stereo analog audio and composite video bundle (well, except for really old TVs with only a coax antenna connection).

shinksma

Not quite. A really old TV will only have a twin lead 300 OHM connector and will not have a UHF tuner.

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player