Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #91 of 39367 Old 02-26-2009, 03:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got the email this morning, and ordered the player right away! I'm thrilled! I never win anything.

------------------------------
TV: Samsung LNT4671F
BD-DVD: Oppo BDP-83
Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR606
Logitech Revue (Google TV)
Cisco 8640HDC DVR (v. ODN 4.0.2_4)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 39367 Old 02-26-2009, 04:04 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreK View Post

Simple question, and hopefully also a simple answer:
Will there be an option to delay the Audio for lipsync with a LCD-TV ?
(e.g by 0 - 200 msec)

Yes, 200 msec max.

-Bill
post #93 of 39367 Old 02-26-2009, 04:07 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dack70 View Post

I just got the email this morning, and ordered the player right away! I'm thrilled! I never win anything.

Assuming some of the initial 50 declined, I expect there may be a few late offers reported, followed by a few more from those who don't respond by the Friday deadline.

Interesting that such a high percentage of the 50 are AVS posters. Are we up to 15 now?
post #94 of 39367 Old 02-26-2009, 04:18 AM

The specs are incredible! If only the player were region-free...

I realized that Oppo does not say explictly that the player is capable of playing DVD region 1 and Blu-ray region A in the Preliminary Features provided in Oppo's website. It merely says, in regard of PAL/NTSC conversion, that "The BDP-83 supports NTSC and PAL systems for both disc playback and video output. It can also convert content of one system for output in another. (Subject to DVD and BD region restrictions)"

Instead of "subject to DVD and BD region restrictions, Oppo could easily state whether there is a region enforcement or not.

In light of the foregoing, how likely do you think that this player would play region 2 DVDs and rgion B blu-rays?

BTW, if you have some region 2 DVDs and region B blu-ray discs, please kindly try them with your player and inform us. If you have DJ Tiesto's Blu-ray concert disc, that would be ideal. For some reason that disc works perfectly with some blu-ray players but does not work at all with some blu-ray players, although it is blu-ray region B disc.
post #95 of 39367 Old 02-26-2009, 04:20 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG428 View Post

The specs are incredible! If only the player were region-free...

I realized that Oppo does not say explictly that the player is capable of playing DVD region 1 and Blu-ray region A in the Preliminary Features provided in Oppo's website. It merely says, in regard of PAL/NTSC conversion, that "The BDP-83 supports NTSC and PAL systems for both disc playback and video output. It can also convert content of one system for output in another. (Subject to DVD and BD region restrictions)"

Instead of "subject to DVD and BD region restrictions, Oppo could easily state whether there is a region enforcement or not.

In light of the foregoing, how likely do you think that this player would play region 2 DVDs and rgion B blu-rays?

BTW, if you have some region 2 DVDs and region B blu-ray discs, please kindly try them with your player and inform us. If you have DJ Tiesto's Blu-ray concert disc, that would be ideal. For some reason that disc works perfectly with some blu-ray players but does not work at all with some blu-ray players, although it is blu-ray region B disc.

The player is locked to DVD region 1, Blu-ray region A. This will not change.

-Bill
post #96 of 39367 Old 02-26-2009, 04:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Neuromancer

"It could still be released at $499, or it could be released at a higher price (up to $599). Right now OPPO is only talking about the Early Adoption Program, so we will have to wait for final pricing to be announced at a later date"

You had the MSRP as $499. What happened?
post #97 of 39367 Old 02-26-2009, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

Nice to see the BDP-83 preliminary specs posted today, that was a nice gesture.

From the above link, did anyone else notice that this player apparently plays MKV files? Did I somehow overlook this little tidbit of information from the *other* big OPPO BDP-83 thread? I'd swear I didn't see it mentioned in the initial post.

Regardless, I am one happy camper. Just wish I won the Oppo lottery...but I can wait another month for sure.
post #98 of 39367 Old 02-26-2009, 04:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Congratulations to all those selected for the EAP

More good news is Middle Atlantic has finally added this player to its list of RSH-4A custom rack shelves

OPPO BDP83 2 14 RSH4A2M OPPO BDP83

2RU, 14 inches deep

[I have found the RSH for a DirecTV DVR works almost as well]

consider the -C clamp option which holds the player securely in the shelf

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
post #99 of 39367 Old 02-26-2009, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Congrats to all of the EAP participants. I look forward to hearing what everybody thinks about the player.

gonk
Beta tester: BDP-83 / BDP-80
post #100 of 39367 Old 02-26-2009, 05:00 AM
Advanced Member

I think it would be in poor taste for Oppo to offer the BDP-83 at a higher price for the official release. The comment that the early adopters deserve a break is bogus in my opinion. First they get in early but a price break as well? I know the player is not complete yet but I imagine its mostly stable at this point. Also it will be 100% complete with a simple firmware update.

Also Oppo is playing a very risky game with this EAP. I give them credit for being imaginative but you risk upsetting your customer base with a program like this. With the first wave of only 50 players I would say that the majority are already feeling a bit down. Most take it like men and have no hard feelings but I imagine everyone not selected feels a bit disappointed. Its only human nature. Oppo could have minimized the risk by increasing the initial allotment. If demand for the EAP far exceeded Oppo's capability then they should have spent the past few months explaining how it was going to work to protect there reputation. Most of the dialog around here was if you responded to that EAP email and they emailed you back you were pretty much in. Of coarse it was always backed up by we really don't know how Oppo was going to implement the program.

I suspect most people who signed up for the EAP will get in on one of the upcoming future EAP releases. As I understand the email sent out a few days ago (witch I never got for some odd reason but read details here) if current EAP members vote yes (I suspect they will) then Oppo will release another allotment double in size. They will do so until the product is finalized and ready for release. So if it goes to round 3 it will be 200 players and if it goes to round 4 then 400 players and so on.

If one of the engineers manages to find a working firmware that makes everything kosher in the next few weeks and its ready for release before the next EAP round then Oppo should honor the $499 price for those that signed up but did not get selected for an EAP program. Now I could understand if someone decided they wanted to buy it and signed up for it after the official release and paying $599 but not for those that wanted to participate in this program but did not win the lottery or whatever how the selection process really was. Some seem random but I bet a few were hand selected I am sure (forum participants who will do a good job promoting the product). Paying more would be a huge slap in the face.

This is just my editorial and my opinion. I hope Oppo considers maintaining the $499 price for those who signed up for the EAP program at the very least.
post #101 of 39367 Old 02-26-2009, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrollens View Post

If you like, please post what you would like me to test out on the BDP-83 and/or observe, and Ill report my findings back to this Forum.

Please install the unit at MY house and test it against MY TV

post #102 of 39367 Old 02-26-2009, 05:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by voigtskins View Post

I just ordered as i am one of the nifty fifty and am honored!!!! The price is amazing for this machine and OPPO said it will not go up for the actual release.This is a great deal as no other can have features and price as OPPO out priced every one .I will let every one know how good this player sounds and the video. I am like a kid with a new toy!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope that's true.
I haven't seen anything officially say that.

Mike
post #103 of 39367 Old 02-26-2009, 05:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

Congratulations to all those selected for the EAP

More good news is Middle Atlantic has finally added this player to its list of RSH-4A custom rack shelves

OPPO BDP83 2 14 RSH4A2M OPPO BDP83

2RU, 14 inches deep

[I have found the RSH for a DirecTV DVR works almost as well]

consider the -C clamp option which holds the player securely in the shelf

rhathawy noted the RSH availability here -- link
KingofKaty and others found some deals.
There is a good (free s/h) deal at stayonline.com -- a better link is in a post in the thread in my link above.
I ordered from Full Compass for near matching the stayonline price.
It may take a week.

Mike
post #104 of 39367 Old 02-26-2009, 05:24 AM
Advanced Member

I also received an invite and will buy the Oppo today. I live in Central Fl.

I currently have a Panny BD-55 which I am very satisfied with. I suspect that the Oppo will be much better especially in DVD playback and hopefully a bit faster. If it is, than I will sell the BD-55 on E Bay.

Hal
post #105 of 39367 Old 02-26-2009, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

I disagree.

I think what bugs a lot of early adopters is that they're basically beta testers, yet pay full price to help manufacturers find and fix problems. Knocking off $100 to help the manufacture do this makes a lot of sense to me.

With that said, I can't help but notice that Sony BD350 player at the top of the page flashing $107.70. Whatever Oppo chooses to do about the pricing, they still have to be competitive.

Be very careful with that site. From what I can determine, its one huge rip-off. YMMV. And like another poster said, I havent been this excited about a product since my first NES console.

Ferrets are Family/ Ferrets Corner
post #106 of 39367 Old 02-26-2009, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

I disagree.

I think what bugs a lot of early adopters is that they're basically beta testers, yet pay full price to help manufacturers find and fix problems. Knocking off $100 to help the manufacture do this makes a lot of sense to me.

With that said, I can't help but notice that Sony BD350 player at the top of the page flashing $107.70. Whatever Oppo chooses to do about the pricing, they still have to be competitive.

I disagree with your disagreeing.

There isn't (or shouldn't be) anyone in the EAP unwilling to pay full MSRP.

Everyone would love a discount, but if you feel "bugged" if you don't get a discount, you don't have to participate, you are free to wait until the complete unit is available for MSRP without question of a discount.

There are probably enough anxious people around that Oppo could even charge a premium for the EAP and participants wouldn't complain, just because people want it that extra couple of weeks or so.

post #107 of 39367 Old 02-26-2009, 06:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Hey Guys,

I just deleted some of my post in an effort to keep this thread clean so it doesn't turn into that other thread that turned into a nightmare.

May I suggest that if you've got post that isn't directly related to the operation of this player, please go back and delete those.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #108 of 39367 Old 02-26-2009, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by da Choge View Post

Actually, according to the new Denon hubris, about $4,001.00 under-priced. Have you seen the latest posting for the Denon DVD-A1UDC1 at their site -- UNBELIEVABLE !!!

But, C'mon now !!! $499.00 is a totally justifiable and reasonable price, and it would just spell total doom and damnation for Oppo to even think about increasing it for the official release . You beta-testers and EAP winners should not screw with us-others' already somewhat despondent and delicate loser-mentalities.

-- da Choge

But look at what you can get for $499 from Denon.

1.5m Denon Link Cable

Addicted to shiny round discs with HD content

My Home Theater
My Movie Collection
BDP-83 EAP (second group)
post #109 of 39367 Old 02-26-2009, 06:15 AM

Will the audio settings (speakers distance, level and crossover) on the BDP-83 stack with those on the AVR (e.g. Speakers set at -5db on the BDP-83 AND on the AVR result in speakers actually playing at -10db)?
post #110 of 39367 Old 02-26-2009, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ev666il View Post

Will the audio settings (speakers distance, level and crossover) on the BDP-83 stack with those on the AVR (e.g. Speakers set at -5db on the BDP-83 AND on the AVR result in speakers actually playing at -10db)?

I think that this is one of the big reasons that OPPO has the BDP-83 set up so that the player's speaker settings (distances, levels, and bass management) only affect the multichannel analog output. The HDMI output of LPCM bypasses those controls, making it impossible for a user to inadvertently stack those settings on top of their receiver's settings. It also lets folks compare HDMI and multichannel analog outputs without having to make a bunch of setting changes back and forth.

gonk
Beta tester: BDP-83 / BDP-80
post #111 of 39367 Old 02-26-2009, 06:38 AM

I ordered from Stayonline. The order hasn't been fulfilled yet. We'll see who gets their rack shelf first.

Never got the email announing the nifty 50. Didn't get selected either.

BDP-83 EAP 300 Member
post #112 of 39367 Old 02-26-2009, 06:48 AM

Well what do you know. I'm in.

Just placed the order. Now to find a buyer for my 983.

"Your" isn't the same as "you're". "There", "their" and "they're" are also not the same. Please learn the difference.

And... it's "couldn't care less". Thank you. :)
post #113 of 39367 Old 02-26-2009, 06:49 AM

I didn't get the email as well, but if they try to charge me a hundred bucks more for this thing because I wasn't one of the first 50 customers chosen, I will not buy it.

I already get good Blu-Ray results from my Panasonic BD-30, and my Toshiba XA-2 for regular DVD playback. Thus this machine would only be a luxury buy for me, not a necessity.
post #114 of 39367 Old 02-26-2009, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

I did not make the cut; didn't expect to considering the odds. And from reading this thread, most of us are disappointed but willing to wait a little longer.

I keep reading that Oppo has never introduced a new product this way before. So, as a former marketing professional, I can't help but wonder maybe this 50/100/200 unit roll out is:

1) an ingenious plan to handle a small current inventory, and

2) a idea meant to maintain interest, get media attention and create additional demand in the coming weeks

Maybe they do not have enough units in a warehouse to satisfy the pent up customer desire.

So, maybe this unprecedented 50/100/200 scheme is a way to use that lack of inventory as an additional demand generator, creating a lottery that will keep customers at bay -- and chattering excitedly about the program and the unit -- until the next shipment arrives from China.

If so, this is really, really smart. It is working. We all hang on the next post.

But if they have 5000 units in the warehouse, I am not sure this makes sense from a cash flow perspective.

Maybe? In either case, I, and most of you, wait impatiently. Good job Oppo.

Mike Rife

The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also. -- Mark Twain

post #115 of 39367 Old 02-26-2009, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRinDenver View Post

...In either case, I, and most of you, wait impatiently. Good job Oppo.

Yes, we'll wait, and that's good for Oppo (at least some of us will wait...see above).

JohnAV, you have a name listed twice on your other thread.
post #116 of 39367 Old 02-26-2009, 07:20 AM

Has it been confirmed or speculated whether this unit will play a DSD stream for an SACD over HDMI, similar to the DV-980H? Mu understanding was that the DV-983H lacked this feature.
post #117 of 39367 Old 02-26-2009, 07:23 AM

I think a $100 could be a deal breaker for many people. Keep it at $499, with all the features listed and it will sell extremely well especially after word-of-mouth gets out. Raise the price to $599, and many people will have to think long and hard about that.
post #118 of 39367 Old 02-26-2009, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo81865 View Post

I didn't get the email as well, but if they try to charge me a hundred bucks more for this thing because I wasn't one of the first 50 customers chosen, I will not buy it.

I already get good Blu-Ray results from my Panasonic BD-30, and my Toshiba XA-2 for regular DVD playback. Thus this machine would only be a luxury buy for me, not a necessity.

I have an Oppo 980 and a BD-30 and will upgrade to the new box assuming this price is the same as the EAP price ( was not selected in the drawing but can certainly wait). Oppo has created quite a reputation or itself in value based products but a screw up like raising the price for those that are not part of the EAP would be a double whammy: (1) we did not choose you so you have to wait a month and (2) we are going to raise the price on you for not being selected. Their marketing manager should be executed if they choose that route.

The other issue they have with raising the price is perception. They are not thought of as a "high end" product company and there are lots of folks who will buy brand (i.e. Panasonic, Sony, etc) before the Oppo product regardless of how good it is if the price is not the major draw. I paid $400 for my Panasonic including 2 free BD movies. Other than being slow as molasses and the worst user interface I have ever used on any A/V product, it still has a great picture. I will switch if I get more function/features/performance for the same $ or the same for much less $.

One man's opinion !!
post #119 of 39367 Old 02-26-2009, 07:26 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bampson View Post

Has it been confirmed or speculated whether this unit will play a DSD stream for an SACD over HDMI, similar to the DV-980H? Mu understanding was that the DV-983H lacked this feature.

It does.

It would be helpful if everyone would read the first posting.

-Bill
post #120 of 39367 Old 02-26-2009, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Many congrats to those with a Golden Ticket. I must say DSD over HDMI honestly makes this a must have. As soon as commercially available, I will purchase one regardless of being 499 or 599.
Cheers,
AD

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Oppo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page