Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 442 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 29Likes

post #13231 of 39610 Old 06-02-2009, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

You're joking, correct?

The term "bright" has no objective meaning. Use of the term is pointless. Run spectrum analysis and EQ routines if you want to qualify a setup's response curve and compare that to another setup. But unless you at least have a baseline analysis of response curves, there's not much point in comparing anything based on listening. If you're used to listening to one setup, anything with more high end will sound "too bright". But that doesn't mean it isn't more accurate.

I suggest that we all agree to put the "brightness" issue to bed with the last two sentences referenced above.

My main speakers, Energy Pro Ref Conns (the originals as in 25+ years old) have always resolved high end better than any speakers I have compared them to. With the BDP-83, certain CDs and SACDs do come across with more distinct high end, but my take on this is that I am hearing stuff from the original recording that I was not hearing before. I see that as a good thing.

My BDP-83 continues to be among the best performing A/V pieces I have bought at any price. I've yet to experience any shortcoming that hasn't been fixed with a simple FW mod.

BTW, I'm not serious about seeking to get agreement on this point.

2nd round OPPO BDP-83 EAP Selectee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13232 of 39610 Old 06-02-2009, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

I never use the cables that come with whatever component I'm hooking up.

Hmmm I'd have to believe the Oppo provided HDMI cable is every bit as good as anything from monoprice. And that is not meant to be a slam.

I think for most applications, monoprice provides the most value in a cable that will do the job. I hardly see the Oppo supplied cable 'below' that standard. The complimentary red/white/yellow a/v cable is another matter.
post #13233 of 39610 Old 06-02-2009, 01:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 149
For those of you that think it's too "BRIGHT" in here, just scroll down to the lower left hand corner of this page and change the browsing color to Black. That's what I use.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #13234 of 39610 Old 06-02-2009, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bborzell View Post

...my take on this is that I am hearing stuff from the original recording that I was not hearing before. I see that as a good thing....

I agree with that totally! Additional nuances can lead you to think that you've been missing something in the past when you hear it in material that you've listened to before.
post #13235 of 39610 Old 06-02-2009, 02:18 PM

I have just finished watching a Blue Ray concert DVD by Ashford and Simpson. Does anyone know what this audio format is? It is not described as Dolby or DTS. Or is it just a new fancy name for an older audio format?

Thanks in advance.

It is 5.1
post #13236 of 39610 Old 06-02-2009, 02:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyve View Post

I have just finished watching a Blue Ray concert DVD by Ashford and Simpson. Does anyone know what this audio format is? It is not described as Dolby or DTS. Or is it just a new fancy name for an older audio format?

Thanks in advance.

The player tells you what's being streamed if you hit the Display button on the remote. Lower left corner.
post #13237 of 39610 Old 06-02-2009, 02:25 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyve View Post

Thanks in advance.

It is 5.1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LPCM

-Bill
post #13238 of 39610 Old 06-02-2009, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bborzell View Post

I suggest that we all agree to put the "brightness" issue to bed with the last two sentences referenced above.

My main speakers, Energy Pro Ref Conns (the originals as in 25+ years old) have always resolved high end better than any speakers I have compared them to. With the BDP-83, certain CDs and SACDs do come across with more distinct high end, but my take on this is that I am hearing stuff from the original recording that I was not hearing before. I see that as a good thing.

My BDP-83 continues to be among the best performing A/V pieces I have bought at any price. I've yet to experience any shortcoming that hasn't been fixed with a simple FW mod.

BTW, I'm not serious about seeking to get agreement on this point.

I am glad for anyone who is totally happy with the performance of the BDP-83! At the same time I would hope that people post to this thread with at least some impartial objectivity. I am hearing so much positive spin that I don't believe this to be the case. So my $1500 Denon 3900 has been masking high frequency information for the past 4 years. The original recording was meant to cause discomfort? Put the pom poms down and read what you just wrote.
" With the BDP-83, certain CDs and SACDs do come across with more distinct high end, but my take on this is that I am hearing stuff from the original recording that I was not hearing before. I see that as a good thing."

I guess there is no possibility that your 25 year old speakers may not be performing the way they did 25 years ago. I know I don't!

I don't believe this boosterism for the BDP-83 is fair for those who come to this thread for unbiased information to aid them in their decision to purchase or not. The BDP-83 has enough positives to make a case for itself without papering over some of its shortcomings. My unit may very well have a problem but to continue to positive spin as above is of no use to anyone.
By all means put the " Brightness Issue " to bed. But you acknowledge it and then trivialize it in the next breath.
post #13239 of 39610 Old 06-02-2009, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Just got a BP-83 that shipped on 5/27.

FWIW OPPO may have gone back a few steps on the loader portion of the firmware -- mine ends in 29 rather than 3F -- and ahead a few steps on the sub ver -- mine ends in 513 rather than 410.

I can confirm bwillcox that DVD's upconverted to 1080p can play through the Yamaha RX-Z11.
post #13240 of 39610 Old 06-02-2009, 03:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Got mine coming with a FedEx Delivery Date of today June 2nd. Which means June 3rd they are always a day late on their posted deliveries. So that means I will have mine in house tommorrow. I hate FedEx.

Nothing's Perfect So Stop Expecting It ! Glenee

post #13241 of 39610 Old 06-02-2009, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Regarding the SQ of the analog section of the 83...there are so many qualifiers for any subjective comparisons that it's hardly relevant unless one has very simlar components and tastes...how often does that happen. I'm pleased in comparison to the Oppo 980, the Sony S300 and Denon 2900 and that's all that's important to me. It's not an audiophile grade player, IME, but with my speakers, pre, amps, and yes, ICs , I've noticed a definite uptick in definition, channel separation, soundstage expansion and tonal richness. My rig is designed for a large, open soundstage, great height, width and depth with a laid back rather than forward presentation. The Oppo does bring out detail that previously was recessed, but still doesn't take it forward.

If your rig/room tends to a more neutral/forward presentation, then I can certainly understand that the player might be a tad too much.

It's always about what you've experienced, synergy and taste.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #13242 of 39610 Old 06-02-2009, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Another data point: an audio engineer friend of mine, who uses a Benchmark DAC for his two channel listening, just picked up the oppo and described the analog output (of SACD material) as "dark",

which is the opposite of bright,

for those that are keeping score.

(He's running the oppo analog outputs (MCH) directly into powered studio monitors. No pre-amp.)

--

I'm using a pre-pro, but all this talk has got me curious. I may have to bust out some belden interconnects, bypass the pre-pro, connect directly to the Proceed (aka Mark Levinson) amp, and see (hear) what the Thiel's say.

Of course, mmv. I listen in a well treated, dedicated room. The results would not be comparable to someone using a pre-amp or an untreated room (big factor).

It would surprise me if there are other $500 players that significantly better the Oppo, but I enjoy surprises.

It would not surprise me if a $3k player betters the Oppo, but it would be an even more fun surprise if the Oppo stood its ground.

Build Thread: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
post #13243 of 39610 Old 06-02-2009, 03:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZAP1 View Post

I am glad for anyone who is totally happy with the performance of the BDP-83! At the same time I would hope that people post to this thread with at least some impartial objectivity. I am hearing so much positive spin that I don't believe this to be the case. So my $1500 Denon 3900 has been masking high frequency information for the past 4 years. The original recording was meant to cause discomfort? Put the pom poms down and read what you just wrote.
" With the BDP-83, certain CDs and SACDs do come across with more distinct high end, but my take on this is that I am hearing stuff from the original recording that I was not hearing before. I see that as a good thing."

I guess there is no possibility that your 25 year old speakers may not be performing the way they did 25 years ago. I know I don't!

I don't believe this boosterism for the BDP-83 is fair for those who come to this thread for unbiased information to aid them in their decision to purchase or not. The BDP-83 has enough positives to make a case for itself without papering over some of its shortcomings. My unit may very well have a problem but to continue to positive spin as above is of no use to anyone.
By all means put the " Brightness Issue " to bed. But you acknowledge it and then trivialize it in the next breath.

Me thinks thou dust protest too much.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
post #13244 of 39610 Old 06-02-2009, 03:30 PM
DAB
AVS Special Member

I would like to hear what you have to say. I setup my Oppo>pro/amp>speakers. 2ch.analog and liked the sound much better than using my Denon's Ent. In pass through. In a very acoustically challenge Living room.
db

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

Another data point: an audio engineer friend of mine, who uses a Benchmark DAC for his two channel listening, just picked up the oppo and described the analog output (of SACD material) as "dark",

which is the opposite of bright,

for those that are keeping score.

(He's running the oppo analog outputs (MCH) directly into powered studio monitors. No pre-amp.)

--

I'm using a pre-pro, but all this talk has got me curious. I may have to bust out some belden interconnects, bypass the pre-pro, connect directly to the Proceed (aka Mark Levinson) amp, and see (hear) what the Thiel's say.

Of course, mmv. I listen in a well treated, dedicated room. The results would not be comparable to someone using a pre-amp or an untreated room (big factor).

It would surprise me if there are other $500 players that significantly better the Oppo, but I enjoy surprises.

It would not surprise me if a $3k player betters the Oppo, but it would be an even more fun surprise if the Oppo stood its ground.

post #13245 of 39610 Old 06-02-2009, 03:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post

Regarding the SQ of the analog section of the 83...there are so many qualifiers for any subjective comparisons that it's hardly relevant unless one has very simlar components and tastes...how often does that happen.

Exactly. So many are trying to seek out the most subjective reviews, by the most qualified reviewer. Well guess who the most qualified reviewer is?
When it comes to SQ, the ONLY opinion that counts for anything is the end user's.
Said users should not relly on others to tell them what does or doesn't sound good.
"accurate" is another ball of wax, but I think we are beyond that here.

BTW, I agree with your assessment for the player. It's like OPPO is dipping their toe in the high end waters now... and although the player may not be that "audiophile" piece of gear that turns everything to gold, it certainly is a very high quality player.
The definition, the seperation... agreed... especially on the discrete stereo output.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #13246 of 39610 Old 06-02-2009, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

I know there have been some glowing comments out there about the 2 ch analog of the Oppo in a given post, but most have said, in at least one of their posts, that it is very good for the $$$.

I believe that the quality of 2 channel analog this BR/SACD/DVD-A/ABT equipped player for $499 is bleeping incredible!

Is it equal to a Denon DVD/SACD/DVD-A that cost, what, $2k new?

Don't know, but it's better than the Denon 2900 that was about $1k that I own and was happy with for many years. And the Oppo's cheaper. Oh, it also plays BR.

It's the bit about diminishing returns. You have to have some trade-offs somewhere.
post #13247 of 39610 Old 06-02-2009, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

for those that posted reviews of the analog performance...

these "observations" are the result of a blind test, correct?

Conversely, for those saying the video is WAY better than their other Blu-ray/ SD DVD player... Was the comparison done w/ someone other than themselves making the A/B switch to where you didn't know which player it was? How many actually used Spears & Munsil disk for both players to determine best performer?

Then of course how many cheerleading posts are based on going by memory on how the previous player performed vs. the BDP-83?

I am a big proponent of blind tests, but decent evaluations can be made doing A/B comparisons on your own IF you get line levels matched, replay the same short music passages over & over while switching sources, & most of all being objective. Too many people want to justify their expensive purchase & say the "it's the greatest eva", or want to justify the "other" player cause it costs more!

I am very impressed w/ the Oppo BDP-83 & have enjoyed putting it through the paces; but it's by no means the best CD-audio player I've ever owned. Now video-wise, it's a different story ...
post #13248 of 39610 Old 06-02-2009, 03:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan View Post

I may have to bust out some belden interconnects, bypass the pre-pro, connect directly to the Proceed (aka Mark Levinson) amp, and see (hear) what the Thiel's say.

Make sure you put on some Chapstick before you begin the testing.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #13249 of 39610 Old 06-02-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post

Got mine coming with a FedEx Delivery Date of today June 2nd. Which means June 3rd they are always a day late on their posted deliveries. So that means I will have mine in house tommorrow. I hate FedEx.

Easy...
post #13250 of 39610 Old 06-02-2009, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

Me thinks thou dust protest too much.

... thus sayeth the king cheerleader.

Seriously though, for $500 & being able to do everything but the kitchen sink (or HD-DVD I guess in this case) the Oppo BDP-83 is a PRINCE among DVD/ Blu-ray players.
post #13251 of 39610 Old 06-02-2009, 03:50 PM

i just got my oppo bluray player yesterday. from posts here i was lead to believe the unit runs silently. mine makes noise. not loud, but slightly more noise than any dvd player i ever owned. i had a samsung 2550 bluray player for a day and returned it cuz that was really loud even without a disc in it. the oppo is silent with no disc, but loud enough that I can hear it during quiet scenes or late night viewing when watching a movie. it also runs hot. the unit itself gets hot and the discs i play are hot when i take them out. is that normal?
post #13252 of 39610 Old 06-02-2009, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
The Beast arrived yesterday and is replacing an older low end Pioneer DVD player for SACD duties, and take point position away from my XA2 for upscaling SD, so I can save it for HD-DVDs.

SACD Audio setup is DSD (straight to Analog) with the capability of playing DSD direct to my Yamaha RX-V3800 through HDMI or have the Oppo feed the Multi Channel Analog inputs of the Receiver. I was going to have it set to go to PCM from DSD so I could use the Oppo's Bass Management et al., but found I didn't have to. The Bass and speaker levels were just fine as set up with the Yamaha's YPAO.

No Double Blind tests here, but I will say having the Oppo play through the Analog outs without Bass Management (bypassing PCM in the process) is the "best" sound to my ears. There isn't a whole lot of difference I can tell by switching to my amp decoding the DSD, but I will say there is definitely a difference if a DSP Soundfield or DPLIIx is applied.

Perhaps in the case of a 2 Channel SACD it might be interesting to play it back through the DSP to simulate different venues or Halls. But I believe in so doing the signal must be down-sampled and therein would be potential for noticeable degradation of the source.

"The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow."
post #13253 of 39610 Old 06-02-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:

You're a speaker?

I'm using 36 year old Altec speakers for my surrounds. Although, when I replaced them as fronts with new Aperians, I believe I heard an immediate difference in clarity. (Is that the same as brightness?) As surrounds, the Altecs are serving me well. I have no way of knowing whether or not they're different now than when they were young.

For myself, I swim, bike, and run much more now than I did then.

As for my 83, I must say that I was a little disappointed that it was not a huge improvement compared to my 2 year old Oppo 981. Actually, I now think that the 981 was so good that I was somewhat spoiled. The BRD's I'd viewed on the 83 (my first BR player) really hadn't 'wowed' me like the 981 had the first time I'd used it. Until yesterday when I recieved "Chris Botti in Boston". The picture is finally as good or even better than over the air HD broadcasts.

The only BRD's I own are two Disney titles: "Sleeping Beauty" and "Pinocchio" that I bought while waiting to receive the 83. I'm blessed with grandchildren (and nostalgia). They looked great, but, cartoons look great on DVD too.

I think that the only change in my set-up was from 24fps 'off' to 'auto' and I cannot compare since all the filmed BRD's that had not wowed me have gone back to Netflix.

Could such a seemingly minor change in my set-up cause a major change in picture quality? Or, is it just that many Blu-rays look no better than well done DVD's such as "Lord of the Rings" played on my 981?
post #13254 of 39610 Old 06-02-2009, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedexA300pilot View Post

Easy...

Fed-X delivered mine a day early...
post #13255 of 39610 Old 06-02-2009, 04:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxjulie View Post

i just got my oppo bluray player yesterday. from posts here i was lead to believe the unit runs silently. mine makes noise. not loud, but slightly more noise than any dvd player i ever owned. i had a samsung 2550 bluray player for a day and returned it cuz that was really loud even without a disc in it. the oppo is silent with no disc, but loud enough that I can hear it during quiet scenes or late night viewing when watching a movie. it also runs hot. the unit itself gets hot and the discs i play are hot when i take them out. is that normal?

Discs are always warm when taken out of any player, because they are spinning at a high rate of RPM.
The player itself should get slightly warm, that is the nature of the components within. It should not get "hot" though.
If you are more than just a few feet away from the player, and can hear vibrations or noise from the player while playing movies or music, then you should contact OPPO for resolve.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #13256 of 39610 Old 06-02-2009, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10speed View Post

Could such a seemingly minor change in my set-up cause a major change in picture quality? Or, is it just that many Blu-rays look no better than well done DVD's such as "Lord of the Rings" played on my 981?

How large is your display and what is it's native resolution (1080p, 720p)? If it's a smaller display (i.e. 50"), I'm not surprised that you don't see a huge difference between BD & SD DVD.

In my book, I'd give the following PQ rankings:

well-mastered BD (i.e. Pirates of the Caribbean): 10
average BD: 8-9
terribly-mastered BD (i.e. House of Flying Daggers): 7
well-mastered SD DVD (i.e. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon Superbit): 6

This is as seen on a 106" projection setup with the Oppo. So I'd say that some of the worst-mastered BD's are just slightly better than best SD DVDs, although I think it would be nearly impossible to see this on a smaller display. Well-mastered BD should definitely be a step up from SD DVD, but only if your display is large enough and has enough resolution to show it.

Questions:
How large is your display?
What's the display's native resolution?
Are you hooked up via HDMI?
What output resolution are you outputting via the Oppo?
post #13257 of 39610 Old 06-02-2009, 04:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10speed View Post

Could such a seemingly minor change in my set-up cause a major change in picture quality?

no
Quote:

Or, is it just that many Blu-rays look no better than well done DVD's such as "Lord of the Rings" played on my 981?

yes, especially if you are viewing on a smaller display (IE:<50").
The differences are more apparant on large projection systems, and PQ of Blu-ray discs vary as well.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #13258 of 39610 Old 06-02-2009, 04:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

jkozlow3,
I can't remember the titles off hand, but I have definately seen some sd-dvds that out ranked a BR title of a different movie.
I could probably rattle of half a dozen dvds that look better than some BRs like The Fugitive.
Course this is not the norm, and one should be careful when choosing what to buy when being choosy about PQ.

There is a PQ ranking thread for Blu-ray discs here on AVS in the Blu-ray software forum.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #13259 of 39610 Old 06-02-2009, 04:27 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxjulie View Post

My experience says no. I have played quite a few CD DVD BLURAY DISC SDCD and DVDA discs to say that this is the quietest unit I have ever owned.

This Disc themselves have never gotten worm unlike my pervious POA and Panasonic unit.
post #13260 of 39610 Old 06-02-2009, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Wanting to get my player modded by one of the mod company out there. However the mods seem fairly expensive. Mainly wanting to mod the 2 channel Analog outputs and probably the multi channel as well. But curious if I'd be better off spending the grand it seems most of the mods cost on a used Cambridge 840c? With two channel redbook sound as good on a modded BDP-83 as an 840c?

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page