Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 478 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 91Likes

Old 06-13-2009, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by badboi View Post

Just taking a wild guess here, but, if you don't leave the tray open for 15 minutes, you might not have the problem to begin with.

O.K. good feedback..... thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2009, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon (Home Farm, Emmerdale, Yorks)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtauger View Post

O.K. good feedback..... thanks

No probs. I'm here every Saturday evening.

Why anyone would want to leave the disc tray open for 15 minutes or so is beyond me, but I've heard stranger things in my time.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:27 PM

Liked: 11
Hi everyone, I have a question. I received my BDP-83 about a month ago and had the dreaded loose screw rolling around inside it problem. I called Oppo to see if it was okay to remove the cover to get the screw but they said that they would replace the unit which they did. I noticed that the serial number on the repacement unit was older than the serial number on my original player which I had sent back but I didn't think much of it. That is until I did the firmware update today and the MCU update failed.

I see in Oppo's instructions for the update they state that "early production
models (not sold to retail customers) do not have an upgradeable MCU so the MCU firware upgrade will fail."

I'm not sure what I am if not a retail customer but I would like to know what problems I may have if the future by not being able to upgrade the MCU?

Thanks in advance for any insight.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboi View Post

No probs. I'm here every Saturday evening.

Why anyone would want to leave the disc tray open for 15 minutes or so is beyond me, but I've heard stranger things in my time.

True.
I'm not trying to stir up a hornets nest with my comments just reporting an operational issue.
This is what this thread is about, no?
The drawer operation quirk is not a problem I can't live with.

Cheers
Old 06-13-2009, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm running the latest firmware on my Edge but would still get audio dropouts bitstreaming lossless formats from my OPPO BDP-83. With the most recent OPPO beta firmware, the audio dropouts are gone!
Everything now is working properly.......
Tom

-Tom
Old 06-13-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsok View Post

I notified Oppo about this. They replied that they had not been able to confirm it.

I'm using analog also.

I tried reinstalling the firmware. The first disc I tried would not switch. The next disc I tried would. I have been going through my MC SACDs and have determined that is label specific. All Telarc, Sony, Verve, Chesky, Capital (only have one), and Hyperion disc will switch to the stereo layer. All Mercury, Pentatone, RCA, Harmonia Mundi, and my house produced SFO (Mahler's 2nd) will not. I can't honestly say that this was not the case before I reinstalled the FW. I may not have tried any of the switchable ones.
Please check your labels to see if you can confirm or add to the list. I will send Oppo my list.

Thanks,
Steve

I only have 3 MC SACD discs (so far) and they all switch successfully:
Bob Dylan - Blood On The Tracks (Sony)
Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms (Mercury)
TrondheimSolistene - Divertimenti (2L)

Mercury is the one label that we both have that works for me but not for you. My disc is an EU import.

Old 06-13-2009, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic View Post

I know there are DVD-A fixes coming, but I only had Love and just got Graham Nash "Songs for Beginners". Should the dvd stop after the last track or go to the menu? Nash will just keep repeating play from track 1. Also if I select menu on the screen (using the cursor buttons and enter) when playing a track, it will show the menu screen for a second and start playing track 1. If I hit the "top menu" button on the remote, it will go to the menu screen and stay there like when you first start the disc (which is what I expect).

OK, the Nash dvd-a now works as expected with the new beta firmware.

I also found that the Oppo will also display album/artist/track info for CDs that have it on them (I think Sony used to be the main studio that included this), but the new Alice Peacock cd also displays it. I asked Oppo if they are considering looking up cd info (ala iTunes) with the ethernet connection and they responded that it has been requested and sent to the engineers (but of course not implemented).

I still have random issues where the cd will stop for a few seconds of silence and then resume like a dirty cd, but it will not reproduce at the same spot every time.

I also was playing a cd and then turned on the tv. The hdmi handshake caused the Oppo to stop sending audio; the time display was still moving, but no sound from receiver/speakers or display on the tv. I had to power down the Oppo and restart it to get display

Phil Tomaskovic
Old 06-13-2009, 05:59 PM

This is my first post on AVS Forum. I just received the BDP-83. It is a very nice DVD player. I am having problems with getting audio from my center channel speaker. I have the following setup:
  • HDMI video connection to Mistubishi HC1500 projecter
  • Analog RCA connection from BDP-83 to Onkyo TX-SR700 Receiver thru the DVD 5.1 ports on the receiver
  • Playing standard DVD (Transporter 1 and 2, Ironman, etc) and upconverting to 1080i

The Oppo tech support team told me to switch the RCA analog connector for front left speaker and the center channel. The audio for the main character comes out just fine from the front left speaker.

The audio for center channel works just fine for HD television (1080i) when I use the cable box. I am completely baffled by this. The Oppo seems to be a superb DVD player but I can't get the main character dialog audio to play thru the center channel. Any ideas out there?

BTW, the upconverting of standard DVD is impressive. I have been monitoring this forum for several months to determine if this is the DVD player for me.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Apologies if this has already been mentioned but I just installed the new beta firmware and confirmed that my Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" DVD now plays perfectly with the sound set to DTS...with the 5/4/09 firmware there was no audio at all with DTS selected. My receiver is a Yamaha RX-V665.

Oppo rules this planet!

HDTV Early Adopter
Old 06-13-2009, 06:30 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

If you can come up with a different theory as to why his fan is so loud on 2 different brand new players, and no one else is complaining of a loud fan, I'd like to hear what the answer is.
From the information that has been given, there are only 3 possible answers in my mind.

I didn't say I could explain why his fan is loud. What I said is that assuming he isn't doing something to amplify the fan, he certainly has no control over how loud the fan itself is. Yes, it's possible that his cabinet is somehow amplifying the loudness of the fan. It's also possible that 2 or more fans that are louder than expected left Oppo's facility. Further, it seems pretty likely that a lot of us haven't even had the fan come on yet, so we have no idea how loud it is. Perhaps there IS a batch of loud fans that haven't been discovered yet because most of the players haven't gotten to a high enough ambient temperature to turn the fan on. I just feel that you are trying to force the blame on the user doing something wrong (which is certainly possible) when it's equally possible that the fan just happens to be loud.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:33 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Very possible. If the unit is in an enclosed space, or the construction of the cabinet is "off", the fan noise could be enhanced due to resonance or collision. A dirty diagnostic would be to move the unit completely out of the cabinet and use it on a flat surface open surface (like a kitchen table) and measure the fan noise.

But on an open surface, the player may not get warm enough to turn the fan on...
Old 06-13-2009, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 188
That is always a possibility, but it could be that his environment will always cause the fan to initiate. I am just trying to give some general advise in terms of isolating the cause of the complaints.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNHDman View Post

I am having problems with getting audio from my center channel speaker.

The Oppo tech support team told me to switch the RCA analog connector for front left speaker and the center channel. The audio for the main character comes out just fine from the front left speaker.

The audio for center channel works just fine for HD television (1080i) when I use the cable box. I am completely baffled by this. The Oppo seems to be a superb DVD player but I can't get the main character dialog audio to play thru the center channel.

You are likely using your other devices with digital connection (optical or digital coaxial). It is possible that your receiver has different speaker adjustments for digital versus analog inputs. Ensure that your receiver has been properly calibrated for Channel Trims when using the multi-channel analog inputs.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:48 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:

That is always a possibility, but it could be that his environment will always cause the fan to initiate. I am just trying to give some general advise in terms of isolating the cause of the complaints.

Understood - I should have added a smiley to my comment . Of course, if the fan doesn't come on, his problem is solved .
Old 06-13-2009, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Win Win no matter what happens.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just got my Oppo set up with a new Onkyo 886 and have been playing SACDs this evening. The sound is great but when I turn off my TV there is no sound. Is this the way it's supposed to be? Don

Donald S Konicoff
Old 06-13-2009, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaudio View Post

I just got my Oppo set up with a new Onkyo 886 and have been playing SACDs this evening. The sound is great but when I turn off my TV there is no sound. Is this the way it's supposed to be? Don

the sound should kick back in after a few seconds..no?
Old 06-13-2009, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 22
While DVD-Audio seems to be much improved with this last update, Beck's "Sea Change" still seems to have issues. When played from the start, after track six I have to manually forward it to the next track thereafter. And it will not eject without a power down cycle after it's finished playing.

Also, if you use the fast forward or reverse a few times in a row, the player locks up.

Has been reported to Oppo.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
Old 06-13-2009, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

The subwoofer output will always be -10dB over multi-channel analog regardless of bass management. For this reason, a +10dB boost is all that is needed no matter your speaker configurations on the player.

Most receivers will have an Analog Subwoofer boost. You should use this whenever possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

So, what happens during extremely loud portions of a soundtrack when LFE alone is at the maximum capacity of the channel. Won't the addition of redirected bass create an overload?

It is my understanding that proper bass management lowers the sub output another 5db to create the needed headroom for redirected bass. Are you saying that Oppo doesn't do that? (This is different from the fixed 10db gap between LFE and redirected bass in the SW channel itself.)

I posted an email response from Oppo regarding this in an earlier post, http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...ostcount=12726

From that post:
Quote:

I emailed Oppo asking a couple questions about the player's bass management over the 7.1 analog output. The first was if the redirected bass from speakers set to small was lowered 10dB before it is summed with the LFE. The second was if the player lowers the subwoofer channel an additional 5dB if it is handling the bass management (speakers set to small).

Here's what they told me------

When the player internally decodes Dolby or DTS audio, the LFE channel is already 10dB lower than the other channels. This is not attenuation by the player, but a requirement in the original encoding of the audio.

When the player does bass management and redirects bass to the subwoofer, it attenuates the redirected bass to match the -10dB LFE. This way the subwoofer output of the 7.1ch analog output is consistent with the Dolby and DTS requirements.

Under this condition, a simple 10dB boost in either the amplifier or the Subwoofer should be sufficient to handle the level alignment. It is best not to use the speaker level trim settings in the player, as the trim settings are applied in the DSP before the audio signal gets converted to analog. This digital manipulation could result in reduced dynamic range and audio resolution.

Under
Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
Service@oppodigital.com
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119

------

I want Ed on DVD/Blu-ray!
Old 06-13-2009, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I've been away and have just updated to the most recent firmware (May 4th if memory serves) and I'm getting video jumping on Bluray when running the BDP83 through my Lumagen Radiance. Yet when I bypass the Radiance, problem goes away. Anyone else seeing this? Thx!

Certainty and conviction are a sure sign you don't know what you're talking about! The world is not black and white, rather shades of grey!
Old 06-13-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:

If you're hooked up to your AVR via HDMI, if you turn the TV off then the sound will also cease from the BD 83. If you want to listen to music without the video on (to prevent screen burn-in or other distraction), choose the "Pure Audio" button on the remote. This will turn off the video feed through the HDMI cable, but still allow the audio signal to pass through.

Hope this helps.

"May God stand between you and harm and all the empty places in which you must walk." - Harlan Ellison
Old 06-13-2009, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

I'm assuming you have your -83 connected via HDMI to your AVR and your AVR connected via HDMI to your TV.. if so...

And the audio does not come back on in a few seconds, you may have to hit stop and start over. Worst case, you may have to open the tray and close it again.

What happened was, when you turned off your TV, you caused the HDMI handshake to drop. Every time an HDMI device comes online or goes offline, the entire HDMI chain makes another handshake. Usually, it reacquires itself momentarily, but as with all things HDMI, maybe so - maybe not.

This may never happen again, or it might happen every time.

When I do what you did, my audio drops - then it comes back within 2-3 seconds, after the handshake take place.

But again... YMMV

-steve
My HT Setup - updated 12/25/2012
"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
Old 06-13-2009, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkangel_3 View Post

If you're hooked up to your AVR via HDMI, if you turn the TV off then the sound will also cease from the BD 83. If you want to listen to music without the video on (to prevent screen burn-in or other distraction), choose the "Pure Audio" button on the remote. This will turn off the video feed through the HDMI cable, but still allow the audio signal to pass through.

Hope this helps.

This is not usually required. You do not need to select pure audio to listen to SACD without your TV.

Why it comes back when you select pure audio is because you changed something that caused another HDMI handshake.

-steve
"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
Old 06-13-2009, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

If you haven't done so already, here's another shameless plug to remind you to vote:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1155217

We have 24 votes as of now

-steve
Old 06-13-2009, 08:37 PM

Updated the latest firmware tonight via usb w/o a hitch
My Dark side Of The Moon and Goucho SACD'S play perfectly
Audio is going via HDMI to my Pioneer SC-07 and Video Via HDMI to my DVDO Edge.
Everything works as it should
Old 06-13-2009, 08:46 PM

I've listened to 4 different SA-CDs today and noticed that when 'Repeat All' is used the track transitions are not seamless as they are when 'Repeat All' is not on. It's most noticeable on a 'live recording' where there is continuous audio (crowd noises and the like) from track to track. At the track transition a split second of the new track audio is played, then there's a split second of silence, then the audio picks back up again. I hear this on both the HDMI output as well as the stereo outs, so I can't see as how it could be HDMI handshaking.

I had not upgraded to the Beta firmware when I noticed this, so upgraded and it is still occurring.

Would a few of you check this same scenario and see if it's just my player or all of them? I checked the 1st post bug list and didn't see this listed anywhere.

Thanks,
Mike

42HDX62A - V0102.0055
Old 06-13-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec325 View Post

This is not usually required. You do not need to select pure audio to listen to SACD without your TV.

Why it comes back when you select pure audio is because you changed something that caused another HDMI handshake.

True...I was under the impression that he lost sound because he turned off the TV which would cause no audio to play. I suggested the Pure Audio button just as a tip for avoiding screen burn. I'm assuming that's why the TV was turned off to being with...then again, you know what they say about to "assume", LOL

"May God stand between you and harm and all the empty places in which you must walk." - Harlan Ellison
Old 06-13-2009, 10:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

I've been updating my OPPO players with a Sandisk Cruzer flash drive with U3 software for about 3 years now. Never had one problem with it.

Exactly what I used last night to upgrade and I had no problem.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTWMike View Post

I've listened to 4 different SA-CDs today and noticed that when 'Repeat All' is used the track transitions are not seamless as they are when 'Repeat All' is not on. It's most noticeable on a 'live recording' where there is continuous audio (crowd noises and the like) from track to track. At the track transition a split second of the new track audio is played, then there's a split second of silence, then the audio picks back up again. I hear this on both the HDMI output as well as the stereo outs, so I can't see as how it could be HDMI handshaking.

I had not upgraded to the Beta firmware when I noticed this, so upgraded and it is still occurring.

Would a few of you check this same scenario and see if it's just my player or all of them? I checked the 1st post bug list and didn't see this listed anywhere.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike,
I can verify that this is not just your machine. I duplicated the issue with an SACD of Beethoven's 5th symphony, where the third movement transitions seamlessly into the fourth movement. With repeat off --> smooth audio. With 'repeat all' active --> split second cut-off of audio between movements. And I updated my firmware last night, so this is with the latest firmware.

Also, for the record, I think the popping/crackling is less on SACD than it was before the firmware update, but it's difficult to say. It is safe to say that it's not gone...yet.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsandvb View Post

I posted an email response from Oppo regarding this in an earlier post, http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...ostcount=12726

From that post:
Quote:

When the player internally decodes Dolby or DTS audio, the LFE channel is already 10dB lower than the other channels. This is not attenuation by the player, but a requirement in the original encoding of the audio.

When the player does bass management and redirects bass to the subwoofer, it attenuates the redirected bass to match the -10dB LFE. This way the subwoofer output of the 7.1ch analog output is consistent with the Dolby and DTS requirements.

Under this condition, a simple 10dB boost in either the amplifier or the Subwoofer should be sufficient to handle the level alignment. It is best not to use the speaker level trim settings in the player, as the trim settings are applied in the DSP before the audio signal gets converted to analog. This digital manipulation could result in reduced dynamic range and audio resolution.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.

Thanks. I also emailed Oppo with the 5db question and this afternoon I got the response saying "a 10db boost is all you need even when the player is doing bass management". You got a more specific response, but one that still seems to ignore the issue associated with the 5db question. They address the need to attenuate redirected bass prior to mixing, but not the danger that mixing will overload the sub channel.

Maybe I don't understand proper bass management, but I don't see how Oppo's approach can work. In very loud passages, LFE is already at maximum capacity. How does Oppo mix in bass from the others channels when there's no room for it? How does Oppo take an LFE signal at 105db, mix in bass from other channels, and output them both at 105db? Players usually create the needed room by lowering everything in the sub channel by another 5db prior to transmission.

I sent another email this evening, rephrasing the question to ask about the danger of overload at peak volumes. But, I suspect the answer you got is the only one we'll get.

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player