Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 502 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #15031 of 39392 Old 06-23-2009, 12:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Demo does not disengage the ABT solution. It just splits the screen to show "normal" ABT processing (Right side) and "enhanced" ABT processing (Left side). "Enhanced" means that you have adjusted ABT specific settings, which include Y/C Delay and Digital and Edge Enhancement.

I was kind of figuring that out slowly but surely. A truly "duh moment" happened when I realized that I neglected to reset for 4:4:4, which is where I calibrated the TV and then the Oppo to. Once I did that, things REALLY looked awesome in Region 2. My initial thoughts were correct though: ABT processes SDs better than the Faroudja Chip in the 981 (which was no slouch, either). I thought that was the case when watching Region 1 material; but when watching "The Prisoner" (Network DVD release) I REALLY saw the colors come out bright, warm, and just explode all over the screen. I can't even begin to tell you how thrilled I am I've got this baby working Region 2; I have a LOT of SDs that are R2 and would much rather be watching them on the 83 than the 981 because of the ABT chip.

"May God stand between you and harm and all the empty places in which you must walk." - Harlan Ellison
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15032 of 39392 Old 06-23-2009, 02:02 AM

Liked: 12
I just got the Panasonic 80 and it's NOT making it. Music CD's sound thin. 96/24 sound even worse. Picture is just OK for me.

So if I go for the Oppo it sounds like ALL the bugs are not worked out yet. Should I wait for the next generation? I hate tweaking things all the time. I just want to turn the thing on and have it work!

There has to be a GREAT under $1,000.00 BR Player out there that works?! Won't ALL the major makers of BR players make them universal soon?

Denon 4308
4 Canton CT 1000's
2 Canton 603's
BA 3 way Center
Sunfire Sub 2,500 watts of everyone knows when you're watching a movie

Panasonic 80 - Boooooooooo!!!!! Hisssss!!!! Thin Audio - Some Color Shift
Samsung 1400 - outdated won't play Ver 2 BR Discs - Audio Just OK... just
post #15033 of 39392 Old 06-23-2009, 03:55 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogone View Post

I browsed a bit but couldn't find one....Is there an official release date for this player yet?

No, I haven't seen one.

-Bill
post #15034 of 39392 Old 06-23-2009, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I have tried many Blu-Ray players and the Oppo is the most trouble free player that I have found. If one is looking for a player with no bugs the wait may be very long. The great thing about Oppo is that the listen and fix the problems very fast.
post #15035 of 39392 Old 06-23-2009, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 64
It seems that the new DRM backup of disks has been approved. Does anyone know if Oppo could update their machine with firmware or if a mod could be offered to make it work.
post #15036 of 39392 Old 06-23-2009, 05:03 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

It seems that the new DRM backup of disks has been approved. Does anyone know if Oppo could update their machine with firmware or if a mod could be offered to make it work.

I haven't been following the story closely, but the summaries say that Managed Copy requires new hardware.

Like 3D and BD-Live, it's something I won't be testing.

-Bill
post #15037 of 39392 Old 06-23-2009, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver View Post

I asked the same question a couple weeks back and the answer I got was something along the lines of "its better, but not ground breaking"

I think they were referring to the 983, and not the 980. I find the -83 audio quality definitely superior to that of my 980 that it replaced...both sending DSD to my AVR.
post #15038 of 39392 Old 06-23-2009, 06:05 AM

If this has been mentioned before, sorry. Concerning issues updating the firmware from a USB stick, I had to turn off the Oppo, then turn it on and insert the USB stick before it would read it correctly and update the firmware.

In other words: I originally just removed a DVD and inserted a USB stick without turning off the unit first. This did not work out so well.
post #15039 of 39392 Old 06-23-2009, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

I dont see this as a big issue. By the time managed copy appears, BDs should be just as easy to "backup" the unmanaged way as DVDs are today.
post #15040 of 39392 Old 06-23-2009, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver View Post

I asked the same question a couple weeks back and the answer I got was something along the lines of "its better, but not ground braking"

I did the test.

This it is a personal perception.

83 is superior in both. I did test both DSD and PCM with 980 and 83 with a Yamaha RX-V861 receiver which support DSD/PCM and a set of Polk speakers.

PCM is very similiar, marginal better in 83.

In 980 and 83 the DSD sound is superior to the PCM. There are more details. In "The carpenters SACD" the Karen voice pitch is more natural.

I like more the DSD sound in 83 than 980. I don´t know why there are difference in DSD, because it is a digital stream.

But there are more details in 83 than 980. For example "Dark size of the moon SACD", "Good bye yellow brick road SACD"

Using the multichannel analog output, there is a big difference in 83 in front 980. The bass is depth, the sound is really clear.

Also the 83 is a little bit superior in analog multichannel than Yamaha S1700 (this Yamaha did not support PCM/DSD for SACD).

Remember that the 980 has a bug "POP peak", when in DSD we change the media to another kind (CD,DVD-A,DVD-V). It is why I usually use the 980 in PCM mode for SACD.

In the DVD-A area the sound very similiar in both players and SACD is better than DVD-A in both players.
post #15041 of 39392 Old 06-23-2009, 06:24 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by merryvale View Post

If this has been mentioned before, sorry. Concerning issues updating the firmware from a USB stick, I had to turn off the Oppo, then turn it on and insert the USB stick before it would read it correctly and update the firmware.

In other words: I originally just removed a DVD and inserted a USB stick without turning off the unit first. This did not work out so well.

It's in the FAQ: How do I update firmware using a USB stick?

-Bill
post #15042 of 39392 Old 06-23-2009, 06:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by merryvale View Post

It works for me. I just plug in the flash drive and it pops up the update dialog.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #15043 of 39392 Old 06-23-2009, 06:31 AM

I suppose that this question was asked before.

Does any body has detected problems in DIVX with USB flash?
I see like a ghosting. It is tired to see the image. The sound is OK. But the video is always jumping.

I will try today with a hard disk.
post #15044 of 39392 Old 06-23-2009, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

The specifications state that the BDP-83 has 7.1 analog outputs and 7.1 capability from PCM soundtracks. It goes on the say it can output >>up to 5.1ch DSD, bitstream or LPCM conversion of Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio, and DTS-HD Master Audio.<<

Not sure how the player would limit a 7.1 bitstream to 5.1 since it cannot modify the bitstream in passthru mode , but I'm more concerned about the internal decoding capability. Can someone verify whether it is limited to 5.1 as stated, or can it perform full 7.1 decoding for HDMA and TrueHD?

Sorry if this is already covered--this is a very long thread.

The player limits only the analog multichannel when you select 5.1 in the setup. The bitstream is send in 7.1 to the receiver. You need to set 5.1 in the receiver. It means the receiver downmix the backSRL/R to the SRL/R speakers, not the player.
post #15045 of 39392 Old 06-23-2009, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

As I understand it, the DVD Region unlock is locked even if you do a Reset Factory Defaults. So any manipulation of the firmware (regression or upgrading) will cause the DVD Region to go back to their defaults.

I never thought to try a different region DVD after I reinstalled the official Oppo 4.3 firmware. The interesting thing will be not if the region free feature remains after rolling it back - I could see how that might work. What would be interesting is if the feature remains after upgrading to 6.01.

As for the video processor, I was watching a Region 2 version of "Run Fat Boy Run" on the BDP-83 upscaled to 1080p. You could definately tell the difference between the original PAL and the upscaled 1080p version.

Someone wondered if the video processor was working from old episodes of the "The Prisoner" and "Space 1999". I think it would depend on the quality of the transfer. Also wouldn't there be less of a noticable difference upscaling from PAL at 625 lines to 1080 lines than from NTSC at 480 lines to 1080?

BDP-83 EAP 300 Member
post #15046 of 39392 Old 06-23-2009, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hef View Post

I think they were referring to the 983, and not the 980. I find the -83 audio quality definitely superior to that of my 980 that it replaced...both sending DSD to my AVR.

I made the same upgrade from a 980 and I totally agree via DSD HDMI.
post #15047 of 39392 Old 06-23-2009, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofKaty View Post

Someone wondered if the video processor was working from old episodes of the "The Prisoner" and "Space 1999". I think it would depend on the quality of the transfer. Also wouldn't there be less of a noticable difference upscaling from PAL at 625 lines to 1080 lines than from NTSC at 480 lines to 1080?

576 lines for digital 50 hz, actually. (Comparing analog, it's 625 vs. 525, with the extra being non-picture stuff.) But I've found the upscaling difference to be negligible.

Fuzz caused by the conversion to 60 hz has a bigger (and more detrimental) effect IMHO. I envy those whose monitors can handle 50 hz.
post #15048 of 39392 Old 06-23-2009, 08:05 AM

Thanks gsshiva,

I have reported back in previous post that I think my problem had to do with the receiver not getting enough ventilation. I have moved my receiver to have more ventilation. I have only gotten to test two sd dvd discs running about 2hrs each (resolution output 1080p) and it seems to not have a problem anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsshiva View Post

I have my BDP83 connected to my Sony TV directly. I use Digital out (bitstream) to my receiver. Yday I upgraded the f/w to the beta version released earlier this month. I played a SD DVD (The Revenge of the Sith), mostly skipping chapters. I have noticed three instances when the TV screen would go black, but I still had audio (may be this was due to the bitstream, rather than HDMI). I have not seen this issue with other DVDs that I had played before the upgrade. My cable is a Monoprice/HDMI 1.3. Did report this to Oppo today and they suggested
- Turning off Deep color (which I happen to set to 30 bits)
- Try changing the cable
The thing is coming back to the same chapter where the screen blanks does not recreate the problem.

post #15049 of 39392 Old 06-23-2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticocim View Post

I suppose that this question was asked before.

Does any body has detected problems in DIVX with USB flash?
I see like a ghosting. It is tired to see the image. The sound is OK. But the video is always jumping.

I will try today with a hard disk.[IMG]http://***************/9/P/i.jpg[/IMG]

I have heard of this problem but i'm not sure how to fix it, if you find anything let us know please, normally USB flash is faultless
post #15050 of 39392 Old 06-23-2009, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

I can understand the frustration, but on the other hand the player is potentially protecting you from frying your PJ by enabling DSD over HDMI. That's not something that would be acceptable under any conditions.

You must not have read my post carefully. What you say makes sense if I have HDMI Audio set to Bitstream. In that case, reverting to LPCM if the HDMI handshake indicates no DSD capability on the receiver seems prudent. But the whole point of HDMI Audio set to Off is to send no audio to the PJ, so where's the risk?

Quote:

In the way of a reality check, setting the player to output PCM for SACD is not the end of the world and in all likelihood you won't be able to hear any difference compared to DSD. Especially over analog.

I'm not taking the bait. It's a matter of opinion, not a fact. Nuff said.
post #15051 of 39392 Old 06-23-2009, 09:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivarora View Post

You must not have read my post carefully. What you say makes sense if I have HDMI Audio set to Bitstream. In that case, reverting to LPCM if the HDMI handshake indicates no DSD capability on the receiver seems prudent. But the whole point of HDMI Audio set to Off is to send no audio to the PJ, so where's the risk?

I read and understood you completely. First, this has nothing to do with the HDMI audio setting, but with the SACD setting. The player is preventing you from using DSD, because if it didn't you could accidentally send DSD over HDMI and kill a monitor. You may not like being forced to be safe, but Oppo has to make this idiot-proof. Their position is that under no circumstances is it OK for the player to be able to do the above regardless of user settings. They have to assume that if it's possible, it will happen. If you were sitting there with a dead monitor, you would probably agree. So you either have to turn off the monitor or unplug it if DSD is worth that much to you. The only other option is to buy a AVR/processor that supports DSD over HDMI. If they can figure out a way for the player to automatically disable HDMI audio under these circumstances, they will do so.
post #15052 of 39392 Old 06-23-2009, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

I read and understood you completely. First, this has nothing to do with the HDMI audio setting, but with the SACD setting. The player is preventing you from using DSD, because if it didn't you could accidentally send DSD over HDMI and kill a monitor. You may not like being forced to be safe, but Oppo has to make this idiot-proof. Their position is that under no circumstances is it OK for the player to be able to do the above regardless of user settings. They have to assume that if it's possible, it will happen. If you were sitting there with a dead monitor, you would probably agree. So you either have to turn off the monitor or unplug it if DSD is worth that much to you. The only other option is to buy a AVR/processor that supports DSD over HDMI. If they can figure out a way for the player to automatically disable HDMI audio under these circumstances, they will do so.

I'm guessing that his point, and I have to agree, is that the Oppo should only check if the HDMI device can accept DSD if HDMI Audio is turned on. No need to detect and automatically disable HDMI audio if it has already been manually turned off.

Unless of course turning HDMI Audio off does not turn HDMI audio off, then it's a bug.

post #15053 of 39392 Old 06-23-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofKaty View Post

That would be me...and I just posted late last night that I figured out that the issue was that I forgot to reset my HDMI Color Space to 4:4:4 (which I had previously calibrated the TV and BD 83 for using the S&M disc) after doing the Region Hack. Things look and sound spectacular now, thank you!

Btw, the source material for both these shows are the Network DVD transfers from a few years ago, and they are absolutely SPECTACULAR. The A&E domestic (and Carlton R2's) don't even touch the clarity of the Network transfers. Both easily available at Amazon UK or Network DVD http://www.networkdvd.net/ Highly recommended, especially The Prisoner.

"May God stand between you and harm and all the empty places in which you must walk." - Harlan Ellison
post #15054 of 39392 Old 06-23-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 View Post

I'm guessing that his point, and I have to agree, is that the Oppo should only check if the HDMI device can accept DSD if HDMI Audio is turned on. No need to detect and automatically disable HDMI audio if it has already been manually turned off.

Unless of course turning HDMI Audio off does not turn HDMI audio off, then it's a bug.

I had to turn the HDMI audio off from the receiver to my TV because the same. When the HDMI audio from the receiver to the TV were ON then the DSD were switched to PCM and the DVD DTS where switch to Dolby or PCM stereo depending of the movie. My TV only accepts Dolby and PCM

When I set HDMI audio out to off in the receiver, I was able to use DSD and DTS without problem in the receiver.

It seem to be that the TV handshake has the lower resources and then it is mandatory over the HDMI chain. My TV has a HDMI input only video with a pair of stereo input besides it. In don´t know if this option is valid in other TV to consider that.

With the DV-980H is the same if you set DSD and the receiver send audio to TV by HDMI, then the 980 switch to PCM.
post #15055 of 39392 Old 06-23-2009, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticocim View Post

I had to turn the HDMI audio off from the receiver to my TV because the same. When the HDMI audio from the receiver to the TV were ON then the DSD were switched to PCM and the DVD DTS where switch to Dolby or PCM stereo depending of the movie. My TV only accepts Dolby and PCM

When I set HDMI audio out to off in the receiver, I was able to use DSD and DTS without problem in the receiver.

It seem to be that the TV handshake has the lower resources and then it is mandatory over the HDMI chain. My TV has a HDMI input only video with a pair of stereo input besides it. In don´t know if this option is valid in other TV to consider that.

With the DV-980H is the same if you set DSD and the receiver send audio to TV by HDMI, then the 980 switch to PCM.

Ah, it seems it was me who did not read well - it is in the Tv that you turned HDMI Audio off and you wanted the Oppo to send DSD via HDMI to the AVR.

My bad...

post #15056 of 39392 Old 06-23-2009, 10:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Just upgraded my firmware using my external USB drive (2x500GB SATA formatted into 4 equal FAT32 drives). Just dropped the UPG file from my MacBookPro onto one of the drives, connected the JBOD to the 83, turned the 83 ON, the 83 searched the drives, found the .bin, and asked if I wanted to update the firmware. All done in a few seconds, then I reset to factory, did my settings, and up-and-running!

BTW: tried to format my 4GB PQI thumb drive to FAT 32 using ubuntu on my Mac (it's how I formatted my external USB drive) but no joy... failed during formatting several times

If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.

post #15057 of 39392 Old 06-23-2009, 10:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:

I guess I'm not splaining this well enough. Oppo has to assume that if there's a way to manually send DSD out to a display that can't handle it, then this will happen either by accident or by intent. So yes, the player must default to PCM if such a device is connected regardless of user settings. If HDMI audio is forced to "off" by the connection, then you open a can of worms with people calling because of no HDMI audio. The current solution is the least of those evils. What would prolly be an improved solution would be if the player could in some way communicate the switch to PCM.
post #15058 of 39392 Old 06-23-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:

Ah, it seems it was me who did not read well - it is in the Tv that you turned HDMI Audio off and you wanted the Oppo to send DSD via HDMI to the AVR.

My bad...

Yes I set HDMI audio off in the "HDMI audio setup" in the Receiver. The TV did not receive audio and it is always muted . But the sound is full in the receiver.
post #15059 of 39392 Old 06-23-2009, 10:41 AM

For those who are saying you can detect an audible difference (improvement) between SACD performance on the 980H and the -83, are you using HDMI or analog for this particular connection? If HDMI, PCM or direct DSD?

I still have both machines hooked up, so I can use the 980H for SACD until the popping issue gets resolved on the -83. I'll be doing my own A/B testing once that gets resolved. One thing I can say is that in my setup, playing an HDCD (Mark Knopfler, Sailing to Philadelphia) and switching back and forth between stereo analog/coax digital/HDMI on the -83, I can't tell a difference between stereo analog or digital coax but prefer both of them to HDMI. I understand that I'm going to get lectured about D/A conversions and direct signal paths, but on my system the difference is noticeable and enjoyable.

Looking forward to your feedback on 980H vs. -83 SACD performance and connections.
post #15060 of 39392 Old 06-23-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkangel_3 View Post

Btw, the source material for both these shows are the Network DVD transfers from a few years ago, and they are absolutely SPECTACULAR. The A&E domestic (and Carlton R2's) don't even touch the clarity of the Network transfers. Both easily available at Amazon UK or Network DVD http://www.networkdvd.net/ Highly recommended, especially The Prisoner.

Thanks for the link. The DVD transfers I've seen for The Prisoner (A&E) were all dark and grainy. Looking at the Network DVD before and after pictures shows a real difference. I was never sure if dark and grainy was the way the director intended it or if my whole life I was just seeing crappy TV versions or bad DVD transfers.

As for the Oppo BDP-83, all my Region 2 theatrical DVDs look fantastic upscaled to 1080p. But I don't have identical Region 1 DVDs to compare them too.

BDP-83 EAP 300 Member
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Oppo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page