Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 526 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 26Likes

post #15751 of 39595 Old 07-01-2009, 09:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When playing a 7.1 BD disc via HDMI to my Anthem D2, the D2 input only shows L&R channels in the input info and reverts to creating a 7.1 output via its' 2-channel processor. Playing the same disc in my Sony BDP-S2000ES, the D2 recognizes 5.1 channels of input. OppO support says the resolution of the BDP-83 signal may be too high for the Anthem to decode, or that the D2/BDP-83 HDMI handshake may be incorrect making the D2 to revert to 2 channel. I did not see this issue listed in the known bugs...has anyone else had the same issue?

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15752 of 39595 Old 07-01-2009, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkshark View Post

Oh, and I may have missed this in the last few posts (I'm a month or so off from reading EVERY post in this thread), but, yeah, Mine has "DVD Video/Audio" silkscreened on the front.

Sweet......

Thank you for relaying word re this.
post #15753 of 39595 Old 07-01-2009, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvross View Post

When I look at a wide-screen PAL DVD using my BDP-83 in 1:1 mode, the extreme left of the screen (about 1/4 inch) is black, while on the right the picture extends all the way. My TV is a Panasonic TH-42PZ85U; it is connected directly to the BDP-83 with the HDMI cable that came with the player. The P/N setting is NTSC. I am using the latest beta firmware. The one region-free PAL widescreen disk I own is "Marketa Lazarová" (Second Run DVD 017). I also own an Oppo DV-983H, and it plays the same DVD through the same TV without this problem.

Oppo is on the case: "We have confirmed the issue related to PAL playback on the BDP-83 when using the ABT VRS processing, however, there is no solution available for this error at this time. Our engineers will be working on this issue with a hopeful resolution occurring in the next firmware release."

Terry

You speak here of actual PAL playback, not converted to NTSC, correct?
post #15754 of 39595 Old 07-01-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by narkspud View Post

You speak here of actual PAL playback, not converted to NTSC, correct?

In my case its PAL converted to NTSC, but the people reporting the same problem on avforums.com are finding it with actual PAL playback. It may be related to the TV set -- Panny owners (such as me) will see the shift.

Terry
post #15755 of 39595 Old 07-01-2009, 10:39 AM

Hi!

I own BDP-83 for about a month and have a question about saving the AV settings on the player. (Pls. bare with me if it's already discussed). It seems like my settings are lost and I have to reset them each time before watching a movie.

After making selection the only choice I get is to 'EXIT' , is there anything I am missing or I need to contact customer service?

Thanks,

BK
post #15756 of 39595 Old 07-01-2009, 10:42 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by binoy_k View Post

Hi!

I own BDP-83 for about a month and have a question about saving the AV settings on the player. (Pls. bare with me if it's already discussed). It seems like my settings are lost and I have to reset them each time before watching a movie.

After making selection the only choice I get is to 'EXIT' , is there anything I am missing or I need to contact customer service?

Thanks,

BK

Are you doing a normal power down? Settings are saved only at shutdown time and this step will not happen if you are killing power from an external switch.

This is in the FAQ.

-Bill
post #15757 of 39595 Old 07-01-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Are you doing a normal power down? Settings are saved only at shutdown time and this step will not happen if you are killing power from an external switch.

This is in the FAQ.

-Bill

Thanks, Bill. Here is the sequence ..

Turn on (BDP-83 front panel power switch) >> Load disc >> Reset AV selections >> Exit Set up >> change movie set up (Audio selection + Subtitle)>> Watch movie >> Eject Disc >> Turn off (BDP-83 front panel power switch) >> Turn off AVR receiver (which supplies power to BDP-83)

Regards,

BK.
post #15758 of 39595 Old 07-01-2009, 10:54 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:

Turn on (BDP-83 front panel power switch) >> Load disc >> Reset AV selections >> Exit Set up >> change movie set up (Audio selection + Subtitle)>> Watch movie >> Eject Disc >> Turn off (BDP-83 front panel power switch) >> Turn off AVR receiver (which supplies power to BDP-83)

Regards,

BK.

I can't explain it. Try OPPO support.

-Bill
post #15759 of 39595 Old 07-01-2009, 10:59 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Not all forms of DivX or XviD files will work. For example, I have some encodes of Lovely Complex (the animation, not the Japanese live action) series. Only select couple will playback on the BDP-83 correctly. The ones that done will skip around 10~20 seconds after playing several seconds. If I play the same files on the PS3, the PS3 will load the files which the BDP-83 played back correctly, while the other files will not load at all.

A PC and a media device designed for media streaming will be much more forgiving when it comes to incorrect encoding and error correction.

I ran across some problematic Xvid files and they were all created in the same manner. The "Writing Application" displayed for those problematic Xvid files when viewed with MediaInfo is "ISFT". When viewing the media info within the BDP-83 the length of the video will be incorrectly very short as opposed to MediaInfo displaying the correct media playback length. It's important to note that when the BDP-83 indicated the wrong video playback length it wasn't just a cosmetic problem because the Xvid file would only play that long and then finish playing, period, which made the files essentially unwatchable.

I found a quick and easy workaround for my problem. I used MediaCoder and selected to simply copy audio and copy video. I made no alterations in the settings other than that. Click Start and let it run. The process will complete in a few seconds tops. MediaInfo will now have "Writing Application" showing as "Lavf52.32.0" and the Xvid now displays the correct playback length and plays back fine from my USB stick on my BDP-83.

I'd be interested to know if this method would resolve your Xvid problems, Neuromancer. It involves nearly no work and is finished in mere seconds. Quite frankly, it's mind boggling that the solution for my problem was so utterly simplistic. If the solution is this easy in my case and possibly help with other Xvid playback issues then Oppo might very well be able to fix this very easily without the user needing to use a workaround.
post #15760 of 39595 Old 07-01-2009, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Regards,

BK.

Do you have any wait or pause between turning off the oppo and turning off the receiver? I have a 2 second delay in my remote control macro to make sure the oppo has time to write any setttings changes to it's non-volatile memory.

"Nature Abhors a Vacuum Tube" -  J. R. Pierce
post #15761 of 39595 Old 07-01-2009, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkshark View Post

...well, you're not getting surround for one.

That said, the stereo mix is quite good in 88.2kHz. I picked it up less than a year ago during my "buy it now before the format completely dies" blitz. Not a fan of his other stuff, but this is a pretty, Nick Drake-ish record with just a few flourishes of his usual bombastic stuff, and makes for great listening on the Oppo (unless, you know, you need the menu).

Have to say I have never listened to this disc in stereo, only MCH. And in MCH SACD it is simply incredible! It's one of those discs you play for non-audiophiles to help them understand how good a system can sound. So the MCH version is highly recommended.

Styln

PS I just looked it up here:

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/588 and it costs a fortune! WOW! And here I was worried my SACD collection was a complete write-off. Nope, my "baseball card collection" is going to pay for retirement at this rate
post #15762 of 39595 Old 07-01-2009, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kincaid View Post

I ran across some problematic Xvid files and they were all created in the same manner. The "Writing Application" displayed for those problematic Xvid files when viewed with MediaInfo is "ISFT".
I found a quick and easy workaround for my problem. I used MediaCoder and selected to simply copy audio and copy video.
I'd be interested to know if this method would resolve your Xvid problems, Neuromancer.

I will have to give it a try over the weekend. Was planning on re-watching Bokura ga Ita, and I previously had issues with some of the episodes not working loading on the PS3.
post #15763 of 39595 Old 07-01-2009, 11:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson View Post

Do you have any wait or pause between turning off the oppo and turning off the receiver? I have a 2 second delay in my remote control macro to make sure the oppo has time to write any setttings changes to it's non-volatile memory.

It takes anywhere from 3-10 seconds for the Oppo to perform an orderly shutdown, depending on the unit and circumstances.
post #15764 of 39595 Old 07-01-2009, 11:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

It takes anywhere from 3-10 seconds for the Oppo to perform an orderly shutdown, depending on the unit and circumstances.

It is, after all, just another computer and must be given time to do it's house keeping.
post #15765 of 39595 Old 07-01-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ehlarson

I wait for Oppo power light to turn RED from BLUE before turning off the receiver.
post #15766 of 39595 Old 07-01-2009, 12:07 PM

Has anyone tried watching Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun Li (Blu-ray, Region A) on the BDP-83? I wonder if the same playback problem with 12 Rounds exists? Both discs are from 20th Century Fox. Both discs contain BD+.
post #15767 of 39595 Old 07-01-2009, 12:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:

I wait for Oppo power light to turn RED from BLUE before turning off the receiver.

Is your intent to avoid leaving your OPPO in standby mode?

Mine is normally in standby mode, but I haven't lost any settings on those occasions when I've cut the power to the OPPO. But I've never changed settings just before doing that.
post #15768 of 39595 Old 07-01-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slooshy View Post

Has anyone tried watching Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun Li (Blu-ray, Region A) on the BDP-83? I wonder if the same problem with 12 Rounds exists?

maybe the OPPO feels it's above these movies? just a thought but it might be good to have the engineers look into it.
post #15769 of 39595 Old 07-01-2009, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by netroamer View Post

When playing a 7.1 BD disc via HDMI to my Anthem D2, the D2 input only shows L&R channels in the input info and reverts to creating a 7.1 output via its' 2-channel processor. Playing the same disc in my Sony BDP-S2000ES, the D2 recognizes 5.1 channels of input. OppO support says the resolution of the BDP-83 signal may be too high for the Anthem to decode, or that the D2/BDP-83 HDMI handshake may be incorrect making the D2 to revert to 2 channel. I did not see this issue listed in the known bugs...has anyone else had the same issue?

Call support at Anthem. They surely have a BDP-83. Since the D2 can't take 7.1 PCM input, there needs to be some sort of compromise and getting there appears to be the issue. I have a D2, but I forget the maximum PCM signal it can take. I don't know if I have any 7.1 BDs at home to try.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #15770 of 39595 Old 07-01-2009, 12:17 PM
GSB
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I ran across some problematic Xvid files and they were all created in the same manner. The "Writing Application" displayed for those problematic Xvid files when viewed with MediaInfo is "ISFT". When viewing the media info within the BDP-83 the length of the video will be incorrectly very short as opposed to MediaInfo displaying the correct media playback length. It's important to note that when the BDP-83 indicated the wrong video playback length it wasn't just a cosmetic problem because the Xvid file would only play that long and then finish playing, period, which made the files essentially unwatchable.

I found a quick and easy workaround for my problem. I used MediaCoder and selected to simply copy audio and copy video. I made no alterations in the settings other than that. Click Start and let it run. The process will complete in a few seconds tops. MediaInfo will now have "Writing Application" showing as "Lavf52.32.0" and the Xvid now displays the correct playback length and plays back fine from my USB stick on my BDP-83.

I'd be interested to know if this method would resolve your Xvid problems, Neuromancer. It involves nearly no work and is finished in mere seconds. Quite frankly, it's mind boggling that the solution for my problem was so utterly simplistic. If the solution is this easy in my case and possibly help with other Xvid playback issues then Oppo might very well be able to fix this very easily without the user needing to use a workaround.

Excellent feedback. Thanks for sharing!

Gary
post #15771 of 39595 Old 07-01-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:

This sounds identical to a problem I have when I try to stream particular video files (for example the AVI files created by my Canon digital camera) to my Series 3 TiVo. Whatever this ISFT writing application is, it's generating video files with "timecode breaks". When a video file containing timecode breaks is parsed, the length of the video is calculated incorrectly (always shorter than the actual length, in my experience).

When you run the video through MediaCoder with the "copy" option for audio and video, all MediaCoder does is fix the timecode breaks. I generally use MPEG Streamclip for this, but MediaCoder sounds pretty nice as well.

In any event, since this is a problem with the video files, I don't think this is something that Oppo should worry about fixing.

-PolarWeasel
post #15772 of 39595 Old 07-01-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alull View Post

maybe the OPPO feels it's above these movies?

I believe Oppo will support these movies. Oppo can't afford not to. More and more 20th Century Fox titles containing BD+ will be released.
post #15773 of 39595 Old 07-01-2009, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:

Has anyone tried watching Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun Li (Blu-ray, Region A) on the BDP-83? I wonder if the same playback problem with 12 Rounds exists? Both discs are from Fox. Both discs contain BD+.

I believe I should be getting the BD version in the mail today. Will watch it tomorrow and let you guys know.
post #15774 of 39595 Old 07-01-2009, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I believe Oppo will support these movies. Oppo can't afford not to. More and more 20th Century Fox titles containing BD+ will be released.

Oy vey. What is it with this topic and the humor challenged? Are we going to have to invoke a mandatory smiley face rule or something?
post #15775 of 39595 Old 07-01-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by narkspud View Post

Oy vey. What is it with this topic and the humor challenged?

I was thinking the same thing.
post #15776 of 39595 Old 07-01-2009, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...04&cp_id=10113
Notice the cheap in_line one for $12. Powered ones cost quite a bit more. Why not try the non-powered one to see if it works.

I tried to split an HDMI signal with one of the passive splitters and it didn't work. It was splitting an HD DVD player output to an Onkyo receiver and a Sony projector. I wasn't surprised because I don't see how the two way communication that goes on would work with a simple wire splitter like this but I thought it was worth a try. It worked if I only turned on either the receiver or the projector, but not with both on at the same time. But as with all things HDMI your mileage may vary depending on your equipment.

John S
post #15777 of 39595 Old 07-01-2009, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Beckman View Post

I received my player a little over a week ago, and the color filters were included with the S&M disc.

Wow, what an unfortunate abbreviation.

Wasn't aware this was an issue, but, yeah, I got filters with my copy...

Case for S&M was wide open... no restraints or sticky bondage of any kind preventing it from opening up and being inserted into the Oppo's slot.

*cough*

post #15778 of 39595 Old 07-01-2009, 12:49 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarWeasel View Post

This sounds identical to a problem I have when I try to stream particular video files (for example the AVI files created by my Canon digital camera) to my Series 3 TiVo. Whatever this ISFT writing application is, it's generating video files with "timecode breaks". When a video file containing timecode breaks is parsed, the length of the video is calculated incorrectly (always shorter than the actual length, in my experience).

When you run the video through MediaCoder with the "copy" option for audio and video, all MediaCoder does is fix the timecode breaks. I generally use MPEG Streamclip for this, but MediaCoder sounds pretty nice as well.

In any event, since this is a problem with the video files, I don't think this is something that Oppo should worry about fixing.

-PolarWeasel

This makes a lot of sense and I appreciate the reply. Your explanation simply hadn't crossed my mind. Thank you.
post #15779 of 39595 Old 07-01-2009, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 87
According to a posting in their Electronics blog, Consumer Reports is testing a BDP-83. I think this is the first time they have ever tested an Oppo product.

post #15780 of 39595 Old 07-01-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:

You're dealing with a disc format issue. A DVD must be in DVD-ROM(ISO) format to play media files. Must be DVD-Video format (UDF) to play DVD video.

I use UDF for data files too (from Burn on Mac OS X). That's the way I've dumped files from DVArchive to discs for my DVD players for years. My Oppos and the Philips universal (642?) like those fine. Haven't fired up anything else lately to try it.

I don't know what desktop burning on MS Windows gives you, but from the sound of it, it doesn't Just Work. Original poster might want to try Nero or something (I don't know what they use on MS Windows these days) that burns discs explicitly to see if he gets a different result.

On OS X, desktop-burned discs didn't work in one of my players, but that was a few players and a few revs of the OS ago. I got in the habit of using Burn because it's about as quick and easy and will do other things too.

ab
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page