Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 541 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #16201 of 39352 Old 07-06-2009, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Firmware update seem to be closer to monthly rather than weekly, so I would send it back.

I hope you are angry at the studio and not at OPPO.

-Bill

How am I to know whose fault it is that a disc won't play? I really don't care if it's the studio that released the disc or the manufacturer of the player - I just want a disc to work when I insert it. That's the frustrating part.

gsr - it really shouldn't matter which movie it is that won't play in these players. I wasn't even interested in 12 Rounds until I read a few reviews that said it wasn't horrible and had some nice A/V moments. Certainly not a movie I MUST see but heck, I have it in hand and I want to view it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16202 of 39352 Old 07-06-2009, 01:17 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

Thanks, Roger.
post #16203 of 39352 Old 07-06-2009, 01:29 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndn View Post

But why is it not an Oppo issue if 12 Rounds plays well in all other players...just not the -83, as seems to be the case?

It is not true that it plays in all other players. Look around elsewhere in the player forum.

-Bill
post #16204 of 39352 Old 07-06-2009, 01:30 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro J View Post

How am I to know whose fault it is that a disc won't play? I really don't care if it's the studio that released the disc or the manufacturer of the player - I just want a disc to work when I insert it. That's the frustrating part.

Oh! I didn't understand the "I want" part.

-Bill
post #16205 of 39352 Old 07-06-2009, 01:30 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:

Yes there is: it serves no productive purpose. Address the issue to the party that is responsible for curing the defect.

And do the same next week when the next release comes out and on and on. Sorry, but it's just simply not an acceptable situation. One should be able to purchase a player and a movie and watch the movie without having to wait a month or 2. Is that really too much to ask? I'm not saying the people should be calling the studios and the player manufacturers and throwing expletives at them, but people certainly shouldn't be happy with the situation .

Quote:

I don't know that at all. Of course a new format will come out...eventually, to supercede BD. That's technology and capitalism...not a conspiracy.

Who said anything about a conspiracy??? So you don't think that the idea of creating the Bluray format was to create a new format to replace DVD? Come on, the companies see an opportunity to sell lots of copies of all the big hits AGAIN - you can be sure the idea is for people to flock to Bluray and purchase all their favorite titles again. It started with VHS, then laserdisc, then DVD, and now Bluray. I'm not saying this is a bad thing - I'm thrilled to have newer, better formats. However, the format has to be easy / painless to use to truly succeed. Having to wait a month or 2 to watch a popular new release doesn't strike me as easy / painless. It's not THAT big a deal if I purchased a copy of the movie - I can set it aside, wait for the update, and watch something else. Rentals are another matter - it's either money down the drain having to return it unwatched and pay to rent it again a month or 2 from now, or lost time with a Netflix rental. That's definitely not a good way to get people to adopt the format.

Quote:

Yes, Oppo needs to stay on top of it...and it seems they are, and will continue to do so. But why is it not an Oppo issue if 12 Rounds plays well in all other players...just not the -83, as seems to be the case?

Note that I in no way singled out (or criticised) Oppo here. 12 Rounds may play in other players (PS3, for example), but there seems to be a constant stream of movies that won't play in any given player. It's an Oppo issue in that they need to come out with a firmware update to support this new movie or group of movies. It's not an Oppo issue in the more general sense that the format should be static so that the companies don't have to code against a moving target. As a software engineer, I sympathize with Oppo and all the other player manufacturers as it's never fun to have a spec that is never finalized. This situation significantly raises support costs too - people are contacting both the movie studios and the player manufacturers looking for help - that obviously has a cost associated with it.

Quote:

Exactly. With a format that's a moving target, you're never going to get to that point. The disc could be defective or it could be using some new twist on the format that the player doesn't support yet. There's no way for the consumer to know which is the problem.

Quote:

gsr - it really shouldn't matter which movie it is that won't play in these players. I wasn't even interested in 12 Rounds until I read a few reviews that said it wasn't horrible and had some nice A/V moments. Certainly not a movie I MUST see but heck, I have it in hand and I want to view it.

I think you missed my smiley face . But I agree, the specific movie shouldn't matter - the consumer should be able to purchase or rent the movie of their choice and watch it in the player of their choice. They shouldn't have to jump through hoops or wait a month or 2.
post #16206 of 39352 Old 07-06-2009, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

It is not true that it plays in all other players. Look around elsewhere in the player forum.

-Bill

Well, if 12 Rounds does not play on a couple other players (with some regularity...meaning, more than one or two isolated incidents), then it is not an Oppo issue, but a studio matter. I was not aware of the former being the case. If so...nevermind.
post #16207 of 39352 Old 07-06-2009, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 46
This thing is sweet!
post #16208 of 39352 Old 07-06-2009, 01:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Have we about covered the topic of "12 Rounds" not playing in all players? Get used to it, it's BluRay.
post #16209 of 39352 Old 07-06-2009, 01:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Have we about covered the topic of "12 Rounds" not playing in all players? Get used to it, it's BluRay.

Ummm, I think we've only gone 6 rounds so far... 6 more to go.
*DING*

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #16210 of 39352 Old 07-06-2009, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

[quote=gsr;16779058]
Quote:

Who said anything about a conspiracy???

When you stated
"I'm pretty sure the idea is to create a new format that the masses will flock to." as a plan for the following problem:
"There's no excuse for the Bluray format and the dependent pieces being a moving target with every new release that comes out - and copy protection just isn't a good excuse given the amount of inconvenience this causes users."

It certainly seems to be a plot or a scheme to replace BD with a new format because of an occasional problem disc (that, yes, out to be remedied...no argument) or BD Live...I don't know which (or if you were referring to both problems being a reason to create a new format). If I inferred too much...forgive me.

Quote:

So you don't think that the idea of creating the Bluray format was to create a new format to replace DVD?

No. I don't think Sony, Toshiba, or the studios really ever envisioned that. Perhaps to get a market share, and maybe even a large market share, but by the time the prices do compete with DVD (and we are 1/2 way there), it will be time for a new format.

After all:
1) Most people are not willing to pay a premium for high def...especially in this economic climate;
2) Most people cannot discern or appreciate HD sound or video over standard...and I think the powers that be already knew this...and know it for the next format. We are used to $5 and $10 DVD's and $50 and $150 players (the masses).
And I think the studios and manufacturers knew this years ago.

Either way, I am eagerly awaiting my new -83 due to arrive next week!
post #16211 of 39352 Old 07-06-2009, 02:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

Ummm, I think we've only gone 6 rounds so far... 6 more to go.
*DING*

No hope for a KO?
post #16212 of 39352 Old 07-06-2009, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:

No hope for a KO?

Maybe one of the opponents will take a dive.

post #16213 of 39352 Old 07-06-2009, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

My setup Oppo -> Denon 3808ci - -> Gefen HDMI switcher - > PIoneer 151FD

Over 1/2 of the time when I turn everything on I have to go back to my Denon receiver and change it to another input (TiVo for instance) and change it back again in order to ger a lock on the HDMI signal. The Oppo appears to be playing it when looking at the front LCD panel but the Denon is just sitting there with no apparent signal and the TV is black until I do.

Anyone know of any 'fixes' or tweaks that would stop this??
post #16214 of 39352 Old 07-06-2009, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly33 View Post

Over 1/2 of the time when I turn everything on I have to go back to my Denon receiver and change it to another input (TiVo for instance) and change it back again in order to ger a lock on the HDMI signal. The Oppo appears to be playing it when looking at the front LCD panel but the Denon is just sitting there with no apparent signal and the TV is black until I do.

In what order are you turning the various devices on? That can make a difference. I would turn the Oppo on last and see if that makes a difference.

post #16215 of 39352 Old 07-06-2009, 02:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

As already posted, turn the components on in the reverse order, turning the player on after all other components are on and live.
post #16216 of 39352 Old 07-06-2009, 02:28 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:

When you stated
"I'm pretty sure the idea is to create a new format that the masses will flock to." as a plan for the following problem:
"There's no excuse for the Bluray format and the dependent pieces being a moving target with every new release that comes out - and copy protection just isn't a good excuse given the amount of inconvenience this causes users."

It certainly seems to be a plot or a scheme to replace BD with a new format because of an occasional problem disc (that, yes, out to be remedied...no argument) or BD Live...I don't know which (or if you were referring to both problems being a reason to create a new format). If I inferred too much...forgive me.

You misunderstood what I wrote - Bluray is the new format I was referring to - compared to DVD, it's still very new. I wasn't talking about yet another format to be named (which will obviously happen eventually). And we're not talking about an occassional problem title here - it's been a problem since Bluray first came out and will clearly be an ongoing issue.

Yet another problem with the current scheme is what happens if a hardware vendor goes under or shuts down their Bluray player division? That would mean no more firmware updates for all of their players so a growing number of new titles would never be playable on those players.

But I guess we shouldn't be mad about the situation. We should just be grateful that the studios even allow us to purchase a copy of the movie as they're doing us a huge favor .
post #16217 of 39352 Old 07-06-2009, 02:31 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:

In addition to the other suggestions, upgrade to the latest Oppo beta firmware version as it may improve the situation (depending on which firmware version you're currently using).
post #16218 of 39352 Old 07-06-2009, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Now that this model is available for purchase by the general public (Amazon started today), will this thread continue as the de facto owners' thread?
post #16219 of 39352 Old 07-06-2009, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...Anyone know of any 'fixes' or tweaks that would stop this??

I have turned HDMI Control off on all my components. I found this freed my system of handshake problems, although I don't have an HDMI switcher in the mix.
post #16220 of 39352 Old 07-06-2009, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey mo View Post

Had my first major problem. I attempted to play the Blu-ray dvd "THE CODE" and it wouldn't play. I got through all of the preliminary "stuff" in fine shape, but whn I hit the "play" icon the screen went blank and stayed that way. I tried many times, but never could get it to work.

I popped it into the ole PS3 and it played like a charm.

Thoughts?

EDIT: In discussing this matter over with my wife, she remembers it being the movie being "12 ROUNDS" that wouldn't play in the 83. Whichever one it was had an unrated version and a theatrical version, and worked fine in the PS3

I had no problem with "The Code."
post #16221 of 39352 Old 07-06-2009, 03:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Quote:

Thoughts?

Yes.

Have you installed the latest beta firmware?
post #16222 of 39352 Old 07-06-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:

I popped it into the ole PS3 and it played like a charm.

Thoughts?

If you have your BDP-83 connected to the internet, enable BD-Live in the Oppo's setup menu. If you don't, try disabling BD-Live in the setup menu.

Some discs will not play properly if BD-Live is enabled without an internet connection.
post #16223 of 39352 Old 07-06-2009, 04:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Yes.

Have you installed the latest beta firmware?

No.

Mikey Mo
"Survived Charley, Frances & Ivan. But Jeanne got me."
Anxiously Awaiting 2014 Hurricane Season.
"OAR OR DIE"
They killed the SACD. Bring it back.

post #16224 of 39352 Old 07-06-2009, 04:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Update to my post from Saturday - I sent an email to OPPO Support describing my problem of my new BDP-83 not loading any Blu-ray discs. OPPO Service responded to my email Saturday night, suggesting that I unplug the player for 1 hour, then press and hold the front panel Power button for five seconds, then plug the player back in and update the firmware with the latest Beta version, and then reset defaults and erase persistent storage.

I was out of town and just got home to try all of this this afternoon, and unfortunately, it didn't cure my problem. I responded to the OPPO Service email, telling them the procedure didn't cure the problem, and I got an email back within an hour saying they were sending me a replacement unit along with a return shipping tag for my defective unit.

While I am disappointed my original unit had the problem, I am extremely impressed with OPPO Service and their responsiveness. I'll report back when the new unit arrives.

John
post #16225 of 39352 Old 07-06-2009, 04:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slooshy View Post

If you have your BDP-83 connected to the internet, enable BD-Live in the Oppo's setup menu. If you don't, try disabling BD-Live in the setup menu.

Some discs will not play properly if BD-Live is enabled without an internet connection.

Thanks for the hint. The BD Live was "on" and I clicked it to "off". I was not connected to the internet. I wish I still had the disc to check it out.

Mikey Mo
"Survived Charley, Frances & Ivan. But Jeanne got me."
Anxiously Awaiting 2014 Hurricane Season.
"OAR OR DIE"
They killed the SACD. Bring it back.

post #16226 of 39352 Old 07-06-2009, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 170
Also try 'Erase BD-Video Data' (Device Setup->Persistent Storage), particularly if it is a Lionsgate release.

Also, turn Off 1080p24 Output and DVD 24p Conversion (Picture Adjustment) to ensure that it is not related to your television not support 24Hz.
post #16227 of 39352 Old 07-06-2009, 04:46 PM

Liked: 46
Quote:

Thanks for the hint. The BD Live was "on" and I clicked it to "off". I was not connected to the internet. I wish I still had the disc to check it out.

Thought you edited your original post to say it was "12 Rounds" which doesn't play on a lot of players and confirmed to not play on the Oppo?
post #16228 of 39352 Old 07-06-2009, 04:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

This might be a good entry for the FAQ:

Q: What do I do if a BD disc will not load, play or it freezes my BDP-83?

A: Eject the disc and power off the player. Power on, set "BD-Live" to off, then erase the player's persistent storage, power off again. Then power on and try the disc again.
post #16229 of 39352 Old 07-06-2009, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No hope for a KO?

I watched it (12 Rounds) on sd dvd, no big loss, fast forwarded it in parts. The premise is similar to Die Hard With a Vengeance but with poor acting. Die Hard KO's 12 Rounds in the 1st round.
post #16230 of 39352 Old 07-06-2009, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 170
Quote:

This might be a good entry for the FAQ:

Q: What do I do if a BD disc will not load, play or it freezes my BDP-83?

A: Eject the disc and power off the player. Power on, set "BD-Live" to off, then erase the player's persistent storage, power off again. Then power on and try the disc again.

No point in powering off before changing the settings (you might want to afterward, but that is your choice). It should work during that power cycle. I always recommend:

Press Eject then Setup, turn OFF BD-Live (Network Setup) then Erase BD-Video Data (Device Setup->Persistent Storage). Exit Setup and load the disc.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Oppo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page