Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 550 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #16471 of 39363 Old 07-09-2009, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by sblasl View Post

Kris, you refer in your review of the BDP-83 to "Home Theater University on page 16". What is this?

The Oppo review is in the August issue of Home Theater and is also posted on the website, so the reference is to page 16 in the magazine. I know I'm biased, but I would subscribe

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16472 of 39363 Old 07-09-2009, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 View Post

Tonight I watched The Dark Knight on Blu-ray. It looked great but there was weird behaviour with the aspect ratio. Most of the time it was played as expected at 2.35 with black bars top and bottom. But about half a dozen times through the movie the aspect ratio changed and the entire screen was filled.

Is that the way the movie is, or is this strange behaviour with the Oppo?

Those are just the IMAX sequences.....it's supposed to be like that.
post #16473 of 39363 Old 07-09-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhunter View Post

If the 83 is TRULY the ULTIMATE BD player, who in the h*ll is going to pay $4,500 (9x the 83's MSRP) for a Denon DVD-A1UDCI???

Those who absolutely have to have a Denon, of course.

Silly question

I agree that that is a staggering price. I can't imagine they'd sell more than a couple hundred of those. Makes it somewhat less likely they'd churn out a defective unit, which must be good for peace-of-mind reasons.
post #16474 of 39363 Old 07-09-2009, 08:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 View Post

I finally got my Oppo on Tuesday.

First thing I did was to sit down to listen to a bit of Pink Floyd DSOTM SACD; you know, just a song or so. Ended up sitting down and listening to the whole album of course, fantastic!

Then I tried a few other SACD and then watched Spiderman-3 on Blu-ray. Everything is great as expected.

Tonight I watched The Dark Knight on Blu-ray. It looked great but there was weird behaviour with the aspect ratio. Most of the time it was played as expected at 2.35 with black bars top and bottom. But about half a dozen times through the movie the aspect ratio changed and the entire screen was filled.

Is that the way the movie is, or is this strange behaviour with the Oppo?

That's the way the movie is. I give the movie itself a 9 out of 10. The presentation, 5 out of 10. How the hell is someone with cinemascope screen suposed to watch this movie?

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #16475 of 39363 Old 07-09-2009, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

Those are just the IMAX sequences.....it's supposed to be like that.

Phew...thanks.

post #16476 of 39363 Old 07-09-2009, 08:36 PM

Liked: 10
I was searching the forum for POPs and clicks, and found these messages. I just got the oppo 83 and I'm hearing the POPs and clicks on my newly purchased SACDs. This might be old news, but FYI, I tried HDMI DSD, HDMI PCM, multi-analog and two channel stereo analog and each method produces the pops and clicks. If I play the CD layer on the SACD no pops and clicks. Has anyone heard recent news on the fix? Thanks

-Eric
post #16477 of 39363 Old 07-09-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric999 View Post

I was searching the forum for POPs and clicks, and found these messages. I just got the oppo 83 and I'm hearing the POPs and clicks on my newly purchased SACDs. This might be old news, but FYI, I tried HDMI DSD, HDMI PCM, multi-analog and two channel stereo analog and each method produces the pops and clicks. If I play the CD layer on the SACD no pops and clicks. Has anyone heard recent news on the fix? Thanks

-Eric

What discs are you trying? I've only played a handful of SACDs on my -83, but I haven't heard any pops, clicks, burps or chirps yet.
post #16478 of 39363 Old 07-09-2009, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brogan2424 View Post

Has anyone had any issues w/AVCHD discs? I have a few hundred homemade discs (mostly in 1080p but a few 720p ones all burned to Memorex DVD+R DL) & so far 99% have played w/out issue. I have the newest firmware on my BDP-83, as well. On Saturday night, I started a movie (1080p w/DTS) & the movie would pause or stutter for a split second every 20-30 seconds. Thought I had a bad burn & was about to throw away the disc until I tried it in my PS3 & it worked flawlessly. Had the same thing happen to me last night w/a (720p w/DD) disc. Anyone else have any similar issues? I get so bummed when I have to use anything other than my -83

I'm having the same problem with footage from my Canon HF100 at 1080i on idata DVD+DL.
post #16479 of 39363 Old 07-09-2009, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
If the 83 is TRULY the ULTIMATE BD player, who in the h*ll is going to pay
$4,500 (9x the 83's MSRP) for a Denon DVD-A1UDCI ???

Honestly, they are two different markets. While the Oppo's analog section is good, people who are looking for literal audiophile grade performance as a CD/DVD-A/SACD player and having it do the D to A conversion would be more inclined to go with the performance offered by the Denon. It was built with that in mind, the Oppo wasn't.

Picture quality on the Denon should be superb as well given the components they are using, but I haven't had the chance to look at one personally. But I doubt you'd be giving anything up. Question is, how would it do with 50Hz based HD stuff like they have in Europe. I buy discs from everywhere and I want a single solution that masterfully handles anything I throw at it and the Oppo is just that. But saying that the Denon doesn't have a place in the market is silly. There are always those looking for the ultimate in analog performance and are willing to pay large sums for it. I have no doubt that the Denon is a masterwork given the quality of their reference DVD designs.

Contributing Editor/Writer
Sound And Vision Magazine

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #16480 of 39363 Old 07-09-2009, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhunter View Post

UltimateAVmag posted a review of the 83 today.

It reads like (not word for word) the Home Theater review. Is Kris Deering and David Vaughn actually the same guy ???

The bottom line from the UltimateAV review, quote: "The Oppo BDP-83 truly is the ultimate Blu-ray player, and it's found a permanent home in my reference system."

If the 83 is TRULY the ULTIMATE BD player, who in the h*ll is going to pay
$4,500 (9x the 83's MSRP) for a Denon DVD-A1UDCI ???

www.ultimateavmag.com/

No, we aren't the same guy. I didn't even read Kris' review until after mine went in for editing. I laughed at a couple of paragraphs though because we came to the exact same conclusion. It's hard to be critical of this player when it does everything so well.

David Vaughn

post #16481 of 39363 Old 07-09-2009, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Kris,

I would love to do a double-blind test between the Oppo and the Denon to see if anyone could tell the difference between the two. The Oppo is an outright steal for $500 IMHO.

David Vaughn

post #16482 of 39363 Old 07-09-2009, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calpon View Post

What is the correct connection for someone with an older 5.1/7.1 AVR receiver that does not have HDMI, but does have 6/8 channel direct out(analog out).

i have a non-HDMI AVR so the video goes straight to my tv with HDMI and i use the 6/8 analog outs with my AVR's Channel Direct. nothing easier (for 5.1/7.1 sound; for stereo, you can use the Stereo Analog outs. i haven't done that yet so i can't say for sure with the different media. but with DVD/BR: 6/8 analog outs).
post #16483 of 39363 Old 07-09-2009, 09:45 PM

Dave:

I went to the AV Science Store website and found that they sell Oppo.

I'll call AVS in the morning, and if they have the 83 in stock, I'll order one even though I'm a Denon fanboy (I currently have a 2307 receiver and a new 2310 receiver is due to arrive on Monday).

$500 for the ultimate BD player.....sweet.

Support your forum.
post #16484 of 39363 Old 07-09-2009, 09:48 PM

Perhaps pops, clicks and ultimately noise are grounding problems.
For example Tannoy speakers have a ground connectors and Van der Hul makes a cable for Tannoy speakers:

Quote:
This is from tannoy revolution signature speakers:
The addition of an extra fifth terminal provides grounding for the drive unit chassis, voice coil and speaker cable to reduce the pick up of airborne RF; thus eliminating any feedback interference that can adversely affect the performance of the source electronics in any audio system

This is the question Posted by netroamer and the answer of Styln :
Quote:
Originally Posted by netroamer
Before I get to the problem, I must state that when, on Friday, I received and unpacked the BDP-83 I was stunned by the quality of the packaging and pleasantly surprised by the inclusion of the calibration disc.

I hooked up the unit to the D2 via the HDMI output. Played it a bit on Friday, and again for a couple of hours on Saturday afternoon. By then I was pretty impressed by this $499 player as compared to the Sony BDP-S2000ES I have been using.

On Saturday evening about 2hrs into watching a BD disc, I encountered a loud snap from the speakers, followed by a shutdown of video and audio. None of the components actually shut down and I later confirmed, via the time graphs on a power monitoring software program I have, that there was no electrical spike.

After about 20 secs, the video came back up and maybe 15 secs later the audio returned. The D2 acted as if it were coming out of a protection mode from an input spike.

This has never happened before, and the only difference is the inclusion of the BDP-83 to the system and frankly I am concerned that the Oppo sent the spike via the HDMI cable, that by the way was mine, not the one they sent. I did this so the Sony and Oppo have the same input.

I will report this to Oppo and Anthem. Has anyone else encountered anything similar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styln
Make sure everything is properly grounded. Since the Oppo doesn't include a grounding lugg on the AC cord, the grounding will need to come from the cables connecting the system.

It sounds to me like there was a static charge build-up that released though the system. You could try attaching a grounding wire from the Oppo chasis to the AVR grounding lugg. This would eliminate the possiblity of static build-up and discharge.

Customers are listening pops etc with sacd

Home Theater Secret in the benchmarck showed much more noise with sacd:

Analog measurement
cd 1 khz sine wave recorded at -5db thd+n= 0,00295%
Dvd-A 24/96 1 khz sine wave recorded at -5db thd+n= 0.00304%
Sacd recorded at -6db converted to pcm in player thd+n = 0,01119%

Is Oppo Bdp 83 a stellar player ?
Yes, but fixing this issue should be a priority for oppo

BUYSED55
post #16485 of 39363 Old 07-09-2009, 09:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Kris,

I would love to do a double-blind test between the Oppo and the Denon to see if anyone could tell the difference between the two. The Oppo is an outright steal for $500 IMHO.

I would love for you to do that too .

Based on the info I have read so far, it seems that the overal performance of the Denon will slightly edge out the OPPO. No where close to $4000 worth though IMO.
However, like Kris said, some people are willing to pay those prices, even if the improvement is marginal at best.
Kris also makes as a good point about the analog output performance of the Denon.
I have wondered also though, how an ultimately moded OPPO would compete with the Denon... which still would only cost half the price of the Denon.

I guess part of the price of the Denon is "status rights" too. Oh, and let's not forget that you also have to pair the Denon player with a high end modern Denon AVR if you actually want to use DSD, which is only available via the DL4 connection with the Denon player, as it can't do it via hdmi .

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
post #16486 of 39363 Old 07-09-2009, 09:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Yes, but fixing this should be a priority for oppo

Believe me... it IS.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #16487 of 39363 Old 07-09-2009, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah...pair the Denon with their pre/pro and amp, add in some Revel speakers and you would have one hell of a system. Then again, you could buy a Mercedes or BMW for the same price

David Vaughn

post #16488 of 39363 Old 07-09-2009, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
"So my question: has anyone tested out the SAME MOVIE on both DVD and BD on a large 1080p set using the BDP-83?
If so, how did the upscaling of the standard DVD compare to the BD?
Was there a really significant improvement with the BD playing?"

Dude, there is a really significant improvement on a 768 50" plasma! The upscaling on the -83 is excellent, but there is no comparison between the two. With upscaling, it's kind of like it's air brushed in or a picture with a soft lens. The Oppo does a great job air brushing in the mixing pixels, but with BD, you see every pixel and you'll absolutely know it when you see it.

Styln
post #16489 of 39363 Old 07-09-2009, 10:29 PM

Somebody try the multiregion Blu-ray and SD DVD firmware from this website?

http://www.codefreedvd.com/dvd_oppo_..._firmware.html

Thanks.

Juan Mabromata
post #16490 of 39363 Old 07-09-2009, 10:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmabromata View Post

Somebody try the multiregion Blu-ray and SD DVD firmware from this website?

http://www.codefreedvd.com/dvd_oppo_..._firmware.html

Thanks.

The firmware works great, but just to be clear, OPPO's stance on modifying your player, even with firmware, will void your warranty. So user beware.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #16491 of 39363 Old 07-09-2009, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Since Smarty-pants isn't be as helpful, here is a link for the lazy

OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread - ALL REGIONS

This is a thread hosted on the UK based AVForums (note the lack of a "s")
post #16492 of 39363 Old 07-09-2009, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric999 View Post

I just got the oppo 83 and I'm hearing the POPs and clicks on my newly purchased SACDs.

Try updating the firmware to the 31-0620 Beta Firmawre, as this may improve your SACD audio performance by decreasing the instances of "Rice Krispies".
post #16493 of 39363 Old 07-10-2009, 12:55 AM

I mentioned this problem a few pages back and have dropped a line to Oppo on the matter. As ever, their customer service dept has responded quickly:

Gary,

If these issues are related to a subtitle substream or forced subs, then this can be an issue related to some discs not loading the subtitles. We are currently working with our engineers to fix this issue through a future firmware release.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.

post #16494 of 39363 Old 07-10-2009, 03:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alull View Post

i have a non-HDMI AVR so the video goes straight to my tv with HDMI and i use the 6/8 analog outs with my AVR's Channel Direct. nothing easier (for 5.1/7.1 sound; for stereo, you can use the Stereo Analog outs. i haven't done that yet so i can't say for sure with the different media. but with DVD/BR: 6/8 analog outs).

So you still get proper DD and DTS with only 6/8 analog and no optical/digital connection?
Will the Oppo do proper bass management so I can ditch my Outlaw Audio bass management unit?
post #16495 of 39363 Old 07-10-2009, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

The firmware works great, but just to be clear, OPPO's stance on modifying your player, even with firmware, will void your warranty. So user beware.

No, sorry, it'll won't void your warranty. If you need to resend your player to Oppo, simply reload the original firmware over the multiregion version, that's all you'll have to do . Oppo guys will not detect the installation of the patched firmware previously...

Home theater enthusiast for over 20 years !
My dedicated HT room !
post #16496 of 39363 Old 07-10-2009, 05:14 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHWman View Post

No, sorry, it'll won't void your warranty. If you need to resend your player to Oppo, simply reload the original firmware over the multiregion version, that's all you'll have to do . Oppo guys will not detect the installation of the patched firmware previously...

This is hacked firmware; anything can happen. Could be one day the firmware fails and you won't be able to restore the official version.

Any modification voids the warranty. Whether you can deceive OPPO about what you've done is a different matter.

-Bill
post #16497 of 39363 Old 07-10-2009, 05:41 AM
Advanced Member

What's the latest on the vibration issue? Some guys on this thread mentioned that their Oppo would vibrate if they popped in certain BD's? Not sure if this was only with the beta versions.
post #16498 of 39363 Old 07-10-2009, 06:09 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark7pt1 View Post

What's the latest on the vibration issue? Some guys on this thread mentioned that their Oppo would vibrate if they popped in certain BD's? Not sure if this was only with the beta versions.

Don't know. One person reported such a problem recently on the thread. Oppo wanted him to send in the player and disc, but he was reluctant to do so, fearing damage to the disc. Don't know if he ever did.
post #16499 of 39363 Old 07-10-2009, 06:13 AM

I've never noticed any vibration so far with all the discs I've put through the player.
post #16500 of 39363 Old 07-10-2009, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member

Iorjam,

That's the guy I'm talking about. I certainly wouldn't want to send them my discs. Then possibly go through the hassle of having to replace them should they forget to ship them back.

I'm about to take the plunge. To buy my first BD player. Seriously considering the Oppo but I'd like to make sure these problems aren't one's I should be concerned about. Seems the vibration issue is rare. Just happening with this one owner. So far.

My other choice is the Panasonic 60. Also a good player. Decent video scaling. But not as good as the Anchor Bay one in the Oppo. Nor does it load java-based BD's as fast. Nor play SACD/DVD-A discs...which I couldn't care less about. And with the 60 I'd save $200.00. Which I could spend on BD's. Will see how things go...
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Oppo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page