Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 601 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 91Likes

post #18001 of 40003 Old 07-29-2009, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticocim View Post

UMMM. I had the same case last sunday. My unit has 45 days. The same the red button always red. I did all test with buttons and remote and nothing!!!

I sent the unit yesterday to Oppo for repair

The situation is the same. Report it to Oppo.

In important to note if this is a hardware bug present in a X% of the production of the product. Because is interesting to see the same behavior. How many users reports and return the unit for replace/repair?.

More important, what is the cause? Power supply defective, mother board defective, voltage variation, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18002 of 40003 Old 07-29-2009, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

Went to tun on my '83 last night and it refused. The Red led in on the power button, no response on button press. Unplug, wait, replug. Power button is red. Press it, and I get a millisesond blink of blue, then back to red. Same thing happens if I unplug and press the "open" button first. get the blue blink then back to red. Otherwise unit is unresponsive. Anyone else experience this? Know a secret button press/power on combo to "bump" it? Will call Oppo but they aren't open yet. This is a new unit, watched maybe 4 discs with it. Never updated, I think I was in the second public release batch after the 2nd EAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

It's fubar. The sooner you call OPPO, the sooner you get the problem fixed.

Agreed.

Call OPPO, they will fix the issue quickly.

Display: Pioneer PRO-151 60" Elite
Blu-ray player: OPPO BDP-93, Sony BDP-S1000ES
Processor: Onkyo PR-SC885
Amplifier: Emotiva IPS-1 150Wx7
Game Console: Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS4
Speakers: Mythos ST(Fronts), Mythos Ten(Center), Mythos One(Rears)
post #18003 of 40003 Old 07-29-2009, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticocim View Post

More important, what is the cause? Power supply defective, mother board defective, voltage variation, etc.

You will not know the cause until they get the player and inspect it. It is too new or product for anyone to know "general causes of failures".
post #18004 of 40003 Old 07-29-2009, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67steve View Post

I have had my oppo BD player for a week now and would like to know if anybody experienced a hi pitch noise coming from the player while it is powered off.

Bypass any power conditioner and switch and connect direct to your walled power outlet. Do you hear the same noise?

What happens if you completely disconnect it and move it into another room, such as the kitchen, and leave it in Standby?

The player itself could be working slightly below specifications, as the coil on your power supply could be working below nominal spec.
post #18005 of 40003 Old 07-29-2009, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

Went to tun on my '83 last night and it refused. The Red led in on the power button, no response on button press. Unplug, wait, replug. Power button is red. Press it, and I get a millisesond blink of blue, then back to red. Same thing happens if I unplug and press the "open" button first. get the blue blink then back to red. Otherwise unit is unresponsive. Anyone else experience this? Know a secret button press/power on combo to "bump" it? Will call Oppo but they aren't open yet. This is a new unit, watched maybe 4 discs with it. Never updated, I think I was in the second public release batch after the 2nd EAP.

Wow, I thought I had been the only one. These are the exact symptoms of the problem I had quite some time ago. It was a good joke because everyone assumed it was because I opened my player to take those pics, since I was the only one who had ever experienced this hardware problem. Now I see like 3 other people have too.

I feel vindicated.

Unfortunately, it required a swap-out with OPPO. Fortunately, they did a lightning-fast cross-ship which reinforced one of the reasons we all chose OPPO in the first place: CUSTOMER SERVICE.

"Your" isn't the same as "you're". "There", "their" and "they're" are also not the same. Please learn the difference.

And... it's "couldn't care less". Thank you. :)
post #18006 of 40003 Old 07-29-2009, 11:40 AM

I have got Oppo BD player just one week and after watching several discs, there is serious problem! When I open track after playing disc it is empty, disc stays inside player! Is it possible to repair it easily at home? Did you hear about this problem with Oppo BD player? Thanx!
post #18007 of 40003 Old 07-29-2009, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

You likely had some adhesive substance which was on the inner ring of one of your discs, which has not transferred to the loader.

Unfortunately for you, the shield which covers the loader in the BDP-83 is almost impossible to get off without proper training.

You can try pressing Eject then immediately tapping the top of the player to see if the disc does not drop into the tray. Otherwise, you will likely need to send the player to OPPO, as they will need to clean your loader to ensure future discs do not stay in the player.
post #18008 of 40003 Old 07-29-2009, 11:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_78 View Post

I have got Oppo BD player just one week and after watching several discs, there is serious problem! When I open track after playing disc it is empty, disc stays inside player! Is it possible to repair it easily at home? Did you hear about this problem with Oppo BD player? Thanx!

Call OPPO.
post #18009 of 40003 Old 07-29-2009, 11:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_78 View Post

Close the tray and turn the player off for a couple hours, letting it cool completely. Then do as Neuromancer suggested, tapping on the top of the player while pressing eject button.
post #18010 of 40003 Old 07-29-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alull View Post

alright. another new Fox release, another headache for Blu-ray players/OPPO.

i'm on Beta FW 7/22.
i'm trying to play Disc 3 of the Dollhouse set. i see all the warnings, then the 20th Century Fox logo comes up, plays fine. THEN it hangs. nothing. it just stays on a blank screen. Title 2 (which is the 20th Century logo), Chapter 2, 10 seconds.

it's been 5 minutes. i'm letting it play to see if it go through at some point.

update: it's been over 10 minutes and still nothing. i'm sending OPPO an email.
and i'll watch some Mad Men episodes instead.

I couldn't get Disc 1 to load. It loads the FBI warning screens (and the bit about the 2-3 min load times), and then freezes after 0:07 and stays stuck at a black screen.

Disc 3 loaded the 20th Century Fox logo, and then froze at 0:10, just like yours.
post #18011 of 40003 Old 07-29-2009, 01:01 PM
bsd

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere, but can someone tell me if I can use a USB wireless adaptor (G adaptor left over from an old Tivo which I've used for a laptop successfully) to access my wireless network for BD-Live instead of purchasing the wireless bridge kit? The FAQ on the Oppo site suggests that I cannot, but I'd like to order the -83 and wanted to know if I need the wireless bridge as well (can't use ethernet from where the BD player will be). Much appreciated.

-Brett
post #18012 of 40003 Old 07-29-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Aurora View Post

I couldn't get Disc 1 to load. It loads the FBI warning screens (and the bit about the 2-3 min load times), and then freezes after 0:07 and stays stuck at a black screen.

Disc 3 loaded the 20th Century Fox logo, and then froze at 0:10, just like yours.

thanks. hadn't heard of anyone else yet.
OPPO mentioned they're getting the set later this week. can't wait. i'm holding onto this rental until a fix comes out.
post #18013 of 40003 Old 07-29-2009, 01:05 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsd View Post

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere, but can someone tell me if I can use a USB wireless adaptor (G adaptor left over from an old Tivo which I've used for a laptop successfully) to access my wireless network for BD-Live instead of purchasing the wireless bridge kit? The FAQ on the Oppo site suggests that I cannot, but I'd like to order the -83 and wanted to know if I need the wireless bridge as well (can't use ethernet from where the BD player will be). Much appreciated.

-Brett

You'll need an ethernet-to-wireless adapter. A lot of people are using them. See Does the player have built-in wireless networking?

-Bill
post #18014 of 40003 Old 07-29-2009, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeemer View Post

Any thoughts on whether it is better to buy the Oppo 83 direct from Oppo's web site or from Amazon? I have an account with Amazon and have purchased many times from them with good results. However, I am thinking I might get the player quicker from Oppo since Amazon's site indicates up to a 9 day delay in shipping this unit. Also, not sure if the player from Amazon comes with the free calibration disc like it does from Oppo (no mention on the Amazon site about it). Finally, I am wondering if the players from Oppo might already have the latest firmware version and the players from Amazon might not. Anyone bought this player from Amazon recently?
Thanks!

Depends on what you want. Shipping from Oppo is faster. Amazon has free shipping and Oppo is $18. You can get an extended warranty through Oppo (so the same great Oppo service for many years) from Oppo's site. From Amazon, you get some 2-star rated (with 25 1-stars), 3rd party extended warranty that will take weeks and weeks to resolve your issues.

Finally, in my case it was a no-brainer. I live in KY and Amazon charges 6% sales tax. Oppo direct does not.
post #18015 of 40003 Old 07-29-2009, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvross View Post

Thank you for the reply. What I am seeing is different from what you see. From what people were originally saying on avforums.com, the PAL shift did not affect everybody; it seemed to depend on what TV the BDP-83 was connected to, and perhaps the firmware change does not work the same for everybody. On my Panasonic TH-42PZ85U there is a shift to the RIGHT with the 0620 firmware, but there is a LARGER shift to the LEFT with the 0722 firmware when I watch the same PAL region-free widescreen DVD: "Marketa Lazarová" (Second Run DVD 017).

When I view the same DVD on the same TV using my DV-983H I do not see the shift on the left or the right. I'm sure Oppo will fix the PAL problems on the BDP-83 in due time, but for now the trusty but discontinued DV-983H is my player of choice for PAL DVDs.

Terry

The PAL shift is always present with properly formatted DVD viewed on a display in 1:1 pixel mapped mode (fw 0620). Hence why it shows on PAL alignment patterns. Not all DVD's are formatted the same meaning it's possible to see odd borders that may be title specific but that's different to this issue. Also if the display applies overscan it will mask this issue and usually titles with odd borders.

Oppo have confimed the PAL issue and it isn't due certain combination of product it's an issue with the active image position when using a PAL at a resolution output that uses the ABT. Source direct mode doesn't exhibit the same shift.

D
post #18016 of 40003 Old 07-29-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnorris View Post

You can get an extended warranty through Oppo (so the same great Oppo service for many years) from Oppo's site. From Amazon, you get some 2-star rated (with 25 1-stars), 3rd party extended warranty that will take weeks and weeks to resolve your issues.

Note that you can purchase an extended warranty directly from Oppo even if you purchased the unit through Amazon. I agree that you should avoid Amazon's warranty services like a plague.
post #18017 of 40003 Old 07-29-2009, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I would love to see how many DVDs & Blu-rays that Oppo has acquired for testing purposes.
It must look like a library in their testing room.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #18018 of 40003 Old 07-29-2009, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

At the beginning of Fast and Furious, they give a warning that "all players need to be updated with new firmware frequently and all discs may not play correctly" (I paraphrase). I think we've known this for awhile, but it's the first instance I've seen of a warning to folks to keep checking for new firmware. Probably should be a standard warning right after the FBI one. The disc is a Universal release.
post #18019 of 40003 Old 07-29-2009, 03:07 PM

I see this on quite a few discs. They usually tell you to check out blu-raydisc.com/ForBestResults
post #18020 of 40003 Old 07-29-2009, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hef View Post

At the beginning of Fast and Furious, they give a warning that "all players need to be updated with new firmware frequently and all discs may not play correctly" (I paraphrase). I think we've known this for awhile, but it's the first instance I've seen of a warning to folks to keep checking for new firmware. Probably should be a standard warning right after the FBI one. The disc is a Universal release.

Virtually all of them seem to have that insert in the package that says this. I'd rather they leave it there than add more crap I'm forced to watch before I can see my movie.
post #18021 of 40003 Old 07-29-2009, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
What's strange is that some players which cannot be easily updated firmware-wise, because they do not have an ethernet port, don't seem to have many issues. I bought my ex a cheapie Sylvania BD player for Christmas and it has played every disc she has rented or bought and it has never had any firmware updates. On the other hand, the "better" players, such as the Oppo 83 and Panasonics, etc. seem to need some kind of update every time a new disc comes out. Why is that?
post #18022 of 40003 Old 07-29-2009, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I know this is a little off topic. Is there somewhere we can complain collectively to the issuers of BD discs that we would like them to standardize the the rules they use in authoring the discs so continued FW upgrades are not necessary? I'm glad I bought a player from a company that is committed to updating my player but it adds to the price OPPO had to budget for development to keep up. This adds to the price we had to pay.
post #18023 of 40003 Old 07-29-2009, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeemer View Post

I bought my ex a cheapie Sylvania BD player for Christmas.....

Must have been a nasty divorce....

(just kidding, of course)
post #18024 of 40003 Old 07-29-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

j, along with fitz I wondered about your statement. Is this an issue because the 4308 has Pro customizable Audyssey settings? In my 2809 Audyssey MultEQXT has the same implementation for all modes (but of course Audyssey is not active for analog multich in).

Sorry, I wasn't thinking too clearly at that time - of course Audyssey works on PCM input too. Like I said, the difference between PCM and bitstream was minute.

As a face-saving backup mental justification, I have up 'til now assumed that feeding bitstream to the receiver might involve fewer processing steps. It seems logical that bitstream to decoder to bass mgmt to Audyssey equalization are done within one or a few chips on the receiver, so that method might involve fewer manipulations.

Whatever, it sounds damn good.
post #18025 of 40003 Old 07-29-2009, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hef View Post

This is a standard Universal warning on all discs. Should occur right before the main feature starts.
post #18026 of 40003 Old 07-29-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsfield View Post

I know this is a little off topic. Is there somewhere we can complain collectively to the issuers of BD discs that we would like them to standardize the the rules they use in authoring the discs so continued FW upgrades are not necessary? I'm glad I bought a player from a company that is committed to updating my player but it adds to the price OPPO had to budget for development to keep up. This adds to the price we had to pay.

I totally second that.
post #18027 of 40003 Old 07-29-2009, 06:15 PM

What would explain a discrepancy between 890 and 894 for the total available storage space between two Oppo BDP-83s using the same firmware version?
post #18028 of 40003 Old 07-29-2009, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsfield View Post

Well good luck with that.

If they collectively didn't have the brains to do that when they set the blu-ray standards I doubt they have become any smarter since.

Sorry, just the pessimist in me rearing it's head. Or is it the realist?

Mitsubishi WD73-742, Oppo BDP-103, Gallo 3.1/ Reference AV center/ Adiva-ti surrounds, Emotiva UMC-200/ XPA-5/ XPA-3, Toshiba HD-A3. Roku XS

"All rooms, speakers and ears are different, trust your own ears."

post #18029 of 40003 Old 07-29-2009, 07:19 PM

I just finished my first firmware update and am shocked at how easy and fast it was when compared to the Sony and Samsung machines I used to own. Instead of having to burn an image to a CDROM and keep my fingers crossed while the player went thru its 15-minute update procedure, I merely copied the file to a thumb drive, and stuck it in the Oppo. In <2-minutes the machine had updated itself.

Thank you, Oppo!

Official OPPO BDP-83 Early Adopter--and happy I did!
I am an SVS Subhuman.
post #18030 of 40003 Old 07-29-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post

I just finished my first firmware update and am shocked at how easy and fast it was when compared to the Sony and Samsung machines I used to own. Instead of having to burn an image to a CDROM and keep my fingers crossed while the player went thru its 15-minute update procedure, I merely copied the file to a thumb drive, and stuck it in the Oppo. In <2-minutes the machine had updated itself.

Thank you, Oppo!

I felt the same exact way when I updated the firmware a few weeks back, I turned on the machine and It said an update was aviable. It was a breeze.

Joe
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page