Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 634 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #18991 of 39388 Old 08-11-2009, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

Yes, there can be up to 3 parts of the general firmware upgrade process, and the BD loader part is one of them. Sometimes all 3 parts will update, sometimes just 2, and sometimes just 1. The user should never have to decide between them, as it's already built into the firmware. All you have to do, is select YES or NO to initiate the upgrade.

I know I'm replying kind of late to this, but I'm catching up...

I noticed that the latest firmware came only with the BDP-83.bin file. IF someone got behind in upgrading their firmware, so that the latest version they jumped to needed one or two files not in the UPG folder, would they be hopelessly messed up? Or does the upgrade program guide them in what to do? It looks like this situation might work better with the on-line upgrade path.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18992 of 39388 Old 08-11-2009, 11:18 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by marconist View Post

... jitter, toyish plugs and interaction problems when you are using HDMI extensively. I'll stick to my equipment of a six channel preamp and the connected 5 amplifiers and a sub. And I do not want to buy a six-channel DAC because some manufacturers invented a silly digital consumers connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joffonon View Post

...For me and I suspect many others, a 5.1 or 7.1 analog option is a requirement.

Agreed. I only run HDMI (direct to my display) because that's the only way to transmit digital video today. But I don't want my digital audio mixed in with my digital video. And I don't want to spend an extra $20 for doodads just to keep the plugs from falling out! So I will continue to use M-C analog (especially for HD music) until HDMI is replaced with an intelligently-engineered interface that is physically and electrically reliable.

I've always thought that it's silly to pay for redundant DACs and video chips in the AVP/AVR. Here's an idea: Put a couple of inputs on the Oppo, give the volume control 1dB steps, fix DPL II, and include Audyssey. Connect analog outputs to amplifiers. No pre-pro needed!
post #18993 of 39388 Old 08-11-2009, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendo70433 View Post

IF someone got behind in upgrading their firmware, so that the latest version they jumped to needed one or two files not in the UPG folder, would they be hopelessly messed up? Or does the upgrade program guide them in what to do? It looks like this situation might work better with the on-line upgrade path.

This should not be a problem. The firmware on the player has been designed (to a certain extent) to be mixed and matched.

Some changes will not be accessible (such as some media compatibilities are resolved through the Loader), but overall most of the changes should occur through the Main firmware.
post #18994 of 39388 Old 08-11-2009, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Neuromancer,

If you are using the dedicated stereo analogs.. Is there any sort of bass management? Can you adjust speaker distances, levels, etc?
Thanks,

Christian

My DVD and Blu Ray collection

JVC RS65, ST 130, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103,PS Audio Power Plant Premier,Darbee Darblet
post #18995 of 39388 Old 08-11-2009, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

I don't know if this has been reported before but last night I was listening to a DVD-A (Doobie Brothers Captain and Me). I then put in a BR movie, Spike Lee's Miracle at St. Anna (horrible film) and the colors from my JVC PJ were psychedelic. Power cycling BD-83 did not work but cycling my Integra did.

I suppose this is just another HDMI handshake issue, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

I had a similar but not the same problem the other night. I finished watching a BD movie in 24P. It returned to the menu OK (which I assume was 60P). Then I loaded an extra feature clip and all I got was snow. I cycled through the resolutions and settled on 1080P to watch it. I did not try to debug it or repeat it because it was late (WAF) and a Netflix disk that went back.

Chris
post #18996 of 39388 Old 08-11-2009, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalc3 View Post

If you are using the dedicated stereo analogs.. Is there any sort of bass management? Can you adjust speaker distances, levels, etc?
Thanks,

The dedicated stereo output is not affected by bass management, speaker distance, or channel trim settings. Multichannel sources are downmixed to stereo for that output. It has no associated subwoofer output, so there is no bass management, and as a purely stereo signal it doesn't have as great a need for control of distances and levels.

gonk
Beta tester: BDP-83 / BDP-80
post #18997 of 39388 Old 08-11-2009, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonk View Post

The dedicated stereo output is not affected by bass management, speaker distance, or channel trim settings. Multichannel sources are downmixed to stereo for that output. It has no associated subwoofer output, so there is no bass management, and as a purely stereo signal it doesn't have as great a need for control of distances and levels.

Thanks!

I use a Marantz AV8003 preamp, and when I put it in source direct the bass is relatively weak.. It seems that is doing the crossover but it lacks the lfe channel.. When I put the preamp in stereo mode, then the lfe is back..
And the preamp can apply bass management, delays, etc...
But I wanted to adjust the settings in the player so that I could leave it in source direct...

Christian

JVC RS65, ST 130, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103,PS Audio Power Plant Premier,Darbee Darblet
post #18998 of 39388 Old 08-11-2009, 12:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foothill View Post

I've always thought that it's silly to pay for redundant DACs and video chips in the AVP/AVR.

So get a simple multichannel analog preamp as long as you can live without decent bass management and room EQ.

Quote:
Here's an idea: Put a couple of inputs on the Oppo, give the volume control 1dB steps, fix DPL II, and include Audyssey. Connect analog outputs to amplifiers. No pre-pro needed!

Never happen.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #18999 of 39388 Old 08-11-2009, 12:10 PM
DAB
AVS Special Member

There is more to this than that. If you have an AVR that is “suppose to” Bypass the AVR using pure direct. There is still some LFE/Bass being controlled. {Unless you are using the 83>power amp> Speakers and the sub turned off}.
Because if you use D2ch. W/my Denon you can go to the sub’s knob plate and increase the gain and feel/hear it. If you power off the sub. Calibrate the L/R to say [i.e. –1.5 dB] then power On sub {its gain at 10:00 & the Oppo sub trim is –0}_ your front speaker’s dB, will change- or it did for me. {I have nice front towers but they are still set to small}
* Still a student never a Master.

db
post #19000 of 39388 Old 08-11-2009, 12:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks!

I use a Marantz AV8003 preamp, and when I put it in source direct the bass is relatively weak.. It seems that is doing the crossover but it lacks the lfe channel.. When I put the preamp in stereo mode, then the lfe is back..
But I wanted to adjust the settings in the player so that I could leave it in source direct...

Why? Do you really think that there is some magic in the direct mode that will give it an advantage over sending the digital from the Oppo and letting the Marantz decode/DAC the signals? If you do, you should do the comparison (blinded, of course).

I am continually surprised that, in this digital age, general philosophical principles from the analog era are still getting in the way.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #19001 of 39388 Old 08-11-2009, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foothill View Post

Agreed. I only run HDMI (direct to my display) because that's the only way to transmit digital video today. But I don't want my digital audio mixed in with my digital video. And I don't want to spend an extra $20 for doodads just to keep the plugs from falling out! So I will continue to use M-C analog (especially for HD music) until HDMI is replaced with an intelligently-engineered interface that is physically and electrically reliable.

I'm not sure what you mean by "mixed," but audio and video are completely different channels (physically different wires) in HDMI cables. They aren't mixed in any way.

Quote:
I've always thought that it's silly to pay for redundant DACs and video chips in the AVP/AVR. Here's an idea: Put a couple of inputs on the Oppo, give the volume control 1dB steps, fix DPL II, and include Audyssey. Connect analog outputs to amplifiers. No pre-pro needed!

So you'd rather buy a new kind of amplifier with several sets of analog inputs, and pay for DACSs in every source you use? Now that's redundancy.

Here's an idea: Put all the audio processing and control in one central unit and provide a universal output from all sources that easily transmits the digital data from those sources for processing in the central unit. Oh yeah....we already have that! I have never had a single issue with HDMI, with five HDMI-connected devices in one setup and three in another. Each of these eight devices uses one reasonably-priced cable, whereas using analog for all my sources that offer it (only the PS3 does not), the minimum cabling would be FORTY-TWO separate analog cables in addition to the eight HDMI I'm already using (just for video). Good analog cables, where construction is much more critical, are not inexpensive.

When the eight-cable solution offers far better performance with no issues, and uses the equipment I already have, I can't fathom any argument for a 50-cable solution that would require equipment that doesn't even exist (I know of no amplifiers or pre-pros that offer five set of MCh inputs). I think HDMI is the best thing to come to HT in ages! Locking connectors would be nice, but in truth, I've never had an HDMI cable come loose or fall out....
post #19002 of 39388 Old 08-11-2009, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

I am continually surprised that, in this digital age, general philosophical principles from the analog era are still getting in the way.

Or...I could have just said that.
post #19003 of 39388 Old 08-11-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

I'm not sure what you mean by "mixed," but audio and video are completely different channels (physically different wires) in HDMI cables. They aren't mixed in any way.

post #19004 of 39388 Old 08-11-2009, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mactavish View Post

Sorry, I thought my question was clear. I KNOW it's the video feed. I was looking for confirmation that most likely it's the SOURCE being BlueRay, being 24p/fps, and even letting my AVR taking over for output at any resolution, the screen is blank. All the other Oppo output settings work fine, which means I cannot use "Source Direct" with my current display, though I did think letting the Onkyo 906 AVR process the source it would work. At least that is my findings so far, and I've been through all the menu choices on all three devices, Oppo, AVR, Sharp display. Thanks anyways, maybe some else can confirm my findings, though many of you have superior displays.

Also this means I cannot compare the Oppo's video output versus the AVR's, since any other choice of resolutions, engages the Oppo outputting the chosen signal, like 1080p etc. Meaning I cannot use the Oppo as a "transport" when in BlueRay mode, and thus never get to see the lights/icons of the audio codec etc. on the AVR. Does this make sense?

I think you are perhaps confusing source direct mode with bitstreaming mode for the audio. The source direct mode is used primarily if you have an external video processor, not just an AVR. I recommend you turn source direct mode off and set your Oppo to bitstreaming for the audio output. That will send the undecoded audio to your AVR which will then use its decoders to process the audio into DTS-MA, Dolby TrueHD, etc. and the lights on your AVR will tell you which type of audio is being processed. I do the exact same thing with my Denon 3808 and the display tells me what type of audio my blu ray player is sending over and the Denon is processing.
Hope that helps!
post #19005 of 39388 Old 08-11-2009, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommypeters View Post

You're right...in that they are not always different wires. I should have been more specific there. But the data itself is not mixed. There is video data and there is audio data. They are separate.
post #19006 of 39388 Old 08-11-2009, 12:35 PM

Just wanted to know if the Oppo has a bit meter like PS3 or Pioneer Elite has were it tells at what bit rate a Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA was encoded in? Thanks.

Uli
post #19007 of 39388 Old 08-11-2009, 12:39 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulisez View Post

Just wanted to know if the Oppo has a bit meter like PS3 or Pioneer Elite has were it tells at what bit rate a Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA was encoded in? Thanks.

The bit rate displayed is combined audio and video.

This is in the FAQ: Is there a bit-rate meter?

-Bill
post #19008 of 39388 Old 08-11-2009, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That behavior makes sense because of the way the pre-amp works. In source direct mode, your Marantz is not doing any bass management, either, so your sub is idle and your fronts are going as deep as they can go (which is not as deep as your sub can). When you change the Marantz to stereo mode, it converts the analog input to digital, applies bass management, and brings the sub back into the mix.

gonk
Beta tester: BDP-83 / BDP-80
post #19009 of 39388 Old 08-11-2009, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post

Yes the same for me as well as sometimes the wide screen mode changes on its own. But I also had the psychedelics a few times with my Toshiba A35 HD-DVD player, and chalked it up to to the wonders of HDMI.

The psychedelics are a hidden feature...you know it's the 40th anniversary of Woodstock, right?

Brad
post #19010 of 39388 Old 08-11-2009, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:

Why? Do you really think that there is some magic in the direct mode that will give it an advantage over sending the digital from the Oppo and letting the Marantz decode/DAC the signals? If you do, you should do the comparison (blinded, of course).

Slightly OT but in the same vein: I feel we are seeing the same "analog philosophy" afoot with the resurgence of vinyl via newly pressed discs.

I'm all for playing old vinyl--some recordings never made it to CD and others were poorly remastered. But new vinyl is made from the same PCM master as the CD, so all you're getting with these discs is the addition of the entire LP chain's flaws and euphonics--not sound that is closer to the truth.

One benefit of LPs over digital files--the PCM has not been lossy compressed (MP3 etc), so avoids that--but so do the CDs.

Back to our regularly scheduled program.
post #19011 of 39388 Old 08-11-2009, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

Slightly OT but in the same vein: I feel we are seeing the same "analog philosophy" afoot with the resurgence of vinyl via newly pressed discs.

I'm all for playing old vinyl--some recordings never made it to CD and others were poorly remastered. But new vinyl is made from the same PCM master as the CD, so all you're getting with these discs is the addition of the entire LP chain's flaws and euphonics--not sound that is closer to the truth.

One benefit of LPs over digital files--the PCM has not been lossy compressed (MP3 etc), so avoids that--but so do the CDs.

Back to our regularly scheduled program.

It's a little more complicated than that but this isn't really the place to discuss it.

post #19012 of 39388 Old 08-11-2009, 01:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 124
For some people, vinyl is a hobby in and of itself. More important than the accuracy of sound reproduction, is their enjoyment of the format itself.
More power to them I say.
All we can do is to keep enjoying the best audio we can by means of whatever technology has made it possible to get as close to the source as possible.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #19013 of 39388 Old 08-11-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

Some are and some aren't. I remember reading that the Red Hot Chili Pepper's Stadium Arcadium had a vinyl recording that was specifically engineered for vinyl. I guess they recorded it for LP separately at the same time they did it for CD, pulling all the old tricks of placing microphones optimally, and all sorts of other things they used to do to get better sound for analog recordings.

However, I'm sure that finding out exactly what releases have specific vinyl recordings is nearly impossible. I just remember reading about that one because the Chili Peppers have had some sound issues in the past (Californication has tons of DRC and clipping from levels being too hot).

One thing to keep in mind is that the original PCM recording is much higher quality than is on the CD. The major issues with CDs today are not digital vs. analog--it's all about the excessive post processing and loudness war. I'd guess that when the vinyl is created, it doesn't get nearly as much work done to it as the CD, since the main customers of vinyl aren't looking for the super loud sound of CD.
post #19014 of 39388 Old 08-11-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joffonon View Post

Dunno about "refuse to budge", personally I'm in the "have a pre-HDMI receiver that does the job and will only get replaced when it dies" camp.

For me and I suspect many others, a 5.1 or 7.1 analog option is a requirement.

...or a preference. However like Joffonon, I have a pre-HDMI receiver, and as long as my Harmony 670 continues to work, sharing video and audio with HDMI (TV) and analog (receiver) inputs is quite seamless.

Roberta
post #19015 of 39388 Old 08-11-2009, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Kal,

The issue is that the Marantz uses dolby/dts algorithms for wav files... that is why I wanted the oppo to handle them..

Christian

post #19016 of 39388 Old 08-11-2009, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I'll continue with the vinyl OT: if you are old enough to remember well done LPs, Mobile Fidelity limited pressings come to mind, then you will remember the sound, but also the ticks and pops that came along with the media. I'm even older than that, and I applaud CDs, and the spin-offs from there. I'm looking forward to continued development of digital media, and wanting BluRay audio discs to be more universally offered. So much more content would be available with well done multi-channel recordings in lossless codecs.
post #19017 of 39388 Old 08-11-2009, 02:25 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

It's a little more complicated than that but this isn't really the place to discuss it.

Not the place to start a analog/digital flame war for sure, but a few offhand remarks don't seem to be out of line.
post #19018 of 39388 Old 08-11-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlcarrizo View Post

Well my friend, you are correct, yesterday i was testing the things that you people told me to do, and these are my conclusions:

The only way to make it work (with any firmware except 0430) is to put in Source /direct, but what is the point, I will have no upscaling on dvds or 480 i material on blu ray so

Then i tried what oppo´s tech support sugested, i changhed the input where the hdmi cable from the receiver hook on the tv (HDMI 1) for HDMI 3 (that is because my htpc is hooked on HDMI2) and everything works perfect with 1080 p and 24 fps on. I am so damned confused i mean come on, if i use HDMI 1 input with firmware 0430 everything works ok, the if i upgrade the firmware doesn´t sync anymore if 24 fps is turned on (and the blu ray is 24 FPS encoded), works OK with 60 fps material
But if i change the input to HDMI 3 on my tv works with all the firmwares 0430and later, so what is the deal? is my HDM1 input bad , the firmwares later than 0430 have minor changes that affect the handshake

Appears you have the answer. Re Source Direct, not sure why you feel it is an issue as you just change resolution to auto when you insert a DVD.
post #19019 of 39388 Old 08-11-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

You're right...in that they are not always different wires. I should have been more specific there. But the data itself is not mixed. There is video data and there is audio data. They are separate.

You can't even send only audio data, there must also be video - even if it's some "fake" video that will be discarded. The audio data is time-multiplexed with the pixel clock, so you can't send high-resolution multi-channel audio with low resolution video. So audio and video are linked together more than you thought.
post #19020 of 39388 Old 08-11-2009, 03:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Kal,

The issue is that the Marantz uses dolby/dts algorithms for wav files... that is why I wanted the oppo to handle them..

wav files? Well, I have no idea how Marantz handles them but that seems rather strange to me.

(Disclaimer: I have no first-hand experience with the Marantz prepro.)

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Oppo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page