Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 640 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 91Likes

Old 08-13-2009, 04:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Noticed very little output from the rear speakers in DTS MA and in Dolby HD too.
Upping the SL and SR levels to +5dB helped a bit, but then the SACD rears are way too loud.
The BD HD sound is still quite good, but not as involving as with my previous Panny DMP BD-50.
Using 5.1 analog outputs.

Apart from this I love my Oppo: very fast loading and a finely throught through setup structure!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2009, 04:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsandiego View Post

Turns out problem with Audyessy relates to lack of processor power\\capability in my NAD AVR. It is not an Audyessy problem per se. Simply put, some AVR's do not have the computing capability to handle both Audyessy Multi XT\\Pro and a 96KHZ source. To test, try the 96KHZ subwoofer tests on the AIX disc. On the NAD the sub is dead unless you turn the Audyessy off.

This has been an issue with a few people on the NAD receivers/processors. Though advertised to have 192K DACs, the receiver will never accept anything more then 96K input. In the end, though some functions might be able to be handled at 192k and others may not, they decided to limited to one single rate and used the highest one possible given the functions possible. I assume it is probably the Auydyssey that takes the processing power, but they decided to not allow 192k even if it is disabled.

But hey.. I have 192K DACs in my NAD
Old 08-13-2009, 05:32 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franconian View Post

2) I've read the FAQ about Deep Color but I don't really understand it. My receiver (Yamaha 663) does support it (36 bit). What is the use for it if BD and DVD doesn't support this?

It has little or no use, or at least I've never heard anyone definitely say it does, or point to a test pattern that shows the effect. I've heard stray comments about smoother scaling in animation, but have seen no serious writeup on what is supposed to be happening.

Quote:

And what is the difference beween dithered and not dithered?

Dithering is a compression technique. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ditheri...age_processing. If a device accepts 30-bit color but not 36-bit, dithering allows 30-bit output from the player when using 36-bit internal computation.

Again, I think this is not very important. I have difficulty understanding how deep color can be valuable for DVD or Blu-ray as currently designed.

Remember: deep color does not mean "deeper color".

-Bill
Old 08-13-2009, 07:33 AM

Will I get better sound quality using a connection different than HDMI to my Denon 3808?

Optical or Analog? Thanks
Old 08-13-2009, 08:06 AM

Bits are bits. There should be no difference between optical or HDMI. Analog is a different story however. I use HDMI for everything to my 3808.

Mark
Old 08-13-2009, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB HAN View Post

Will I get better sound quality using a connection different than HDMI to my Denon 3808? Optical or Analog? Thanks

I doubt it. If you are using Audyssey in your Denon (as I do), one easy HDMI connection allows you the best audio available from all sources. That's because Audyssey is digital processing in the AVR. If you have great speakers in a well-treated room I'd think you'd want to give a listen to the Oppo dedicated stereo analog ouputs with those fine DAC's. You'd connect into your analog Multi CH EXT IN inputs so the analog signal gets sent directly to the FR/L amps with no processing.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB HAN View Post

...Optical or Analog?

Just stick with HDMI and bitstream to the Denon. Optical can't transmit the high res codecs, so that wouldn't help in your case. Of course, if you are curious, you could run all the analog cables to see what sound quality you get, but you won't have the Audyssey corrections for the multichannel inputs.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:58 AM

Has anyone had success playing burned BD-R (M2ts) files on the OPPO. My BD35 plays them perfectly. Checking before I consider the upgrade
Old 08-13-2009, 09:07 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs913 View Post

Has anyone had success playing burned BD-R (M2ts) files on the OPPO. My BD35 plays them perfectly. Checking before I consider the upgrade

Do you mean Blu-ray video or a data disc?

BD-R is supported. .m2ts files are not supported as media files on a data disc (with the exception of AVCHD directory structure contents).

-Bill
Old 08-13-2009, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
hi

i would like to know if there is difference in hardware between the unit from early adption program and the official release to general public ??
Old 08-13-2009, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by retate View Post

According to the manual the Onkyo 906 does have limitations in its DSP processing power. "The Equalizer settings have no effect on 176.4/
192 kHz input signals." On a PR-SC886 that means no Audissey EQ for 176.4 and 192 KHZ. It most likely means the same thing for the 906.

I think you are referring to the "note" on page #103, but I believe that is in reference to the 7-BAND EQUALIZER settings, as it does NOT mention Audyssey in that note, and in playing back all the music from the AIX disk in 7.1, the Onkyo still shows Audyssey engaged and working. I don't have any other 7.1 sources just yet, making my shopping list for SACD's, but I do have some new BlueRay movies, like Batman. Is there any other way to test this theory, I'll try them. So far Audyssey seems to be working fine at 192 khz, at least that is what the display says.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnaks View Post

Actually I can verify that I still lose a few seconds of sound even with Autoplay off. Running 0805 with a Denon 2809ci via HDMI.

Yes, verified here also. AutoPlay Off. HDMI to Denon 3808CI.

I think these may be HDMI handshake issues.

A good workaround might be for Oppo to allow the user to cue up a track in Pause mode. This would allow time for the handshaking to complete.

After a second or two, release pause and the music should start without dropping out.

--M--
Old 08-13-2009, 10:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

The PS3 also has inferior DVD upscaling, doesn't bitstream the new audio codecs, doesn't have multi-channel analog audio outputs, doesn't have an available RS-232 interface, and doesn't play SACD or DVD-Audio.

Actually the PS3 does do SACD. And I have it and an older oppo and toggled back and forth with an HDMI splitter between it and the PS3, (same input, settings) with 2 copies of a dvd and the PQ looked pretty much identical. While I'm not saying the PS3 is the best for SD dvd, I don't think it's anywhere as bad as people suggest.

But if this new oppo CAN be made region free for SD dvd, (I have a ton of PAL discs) then it is definitely one to be considered...
Old 08-13-2009, 10:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_rota View Post

hi

i would like to know if there is difference in hardware between the unit from early adption program and the official release to general public ??

There is no hardware difference.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

Actually the PS3 does do SACD.

Actually, only early versions of the PS3 could play SACD. What they've been selling for the last year or two cannot, IIRC.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidHiker View Post

Actually, only early versions of the PS3 could play SACD. What they've been selling for the last year or two cannot, IIRC.

oh. Didn't know that. Mine was a 1st gen. launch model. Wow, that sucks for later buyers.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_rota View Post

hi

I believe there was a minor change involving the loader/transport which allowed the newer players to eject the tray faster on startup. Read the notes in the FAQ:

How fast are the load times?
Old 08-13-2009, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...I have it and an older oppo and toggled back and forth with an HDMI splitter between it and the PS3, (same input, settings) with 2 copies of a dvd and the PQ looked pretty much identical....

The new Oppo 83, and the now gone 983, easily trump the older DVD players from Oppo. I also feel that the sound of SACDs via DSD and HDMI to my AVR are much better sounding than the 980 it replaces.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hef View Post

The new Oppo 83, and the now gone 983, easily trump the older DVD players from Oppo. I also feel that the sound of SACDs via DSD and HDMI to my AVR are much better sounding than the 980 it replaces.

Hey, Jim. Have you ever A/B'd the Oppo's SACD output DSD vs PCM into your Denon2809? I'd be interested to know if you hear a difference.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Actually, I haven't tried that, but I will, and get back to you. I didn't bother hooking up the dedicated stereo outputs either just for the convenience of running everything via HDMI.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:42 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

BD-R is supported. .m2ts files are not supported as media files on a data disc (with the exception of AVCHD directory structure contents).

That's correct. I've played .m2ts files as part of an AVCHD directory structure on the 83, and they play just fine. (It would be nice if the 83 could just play these as a data disc, since it would make disc creation so much easier.) I had them written to a DVD-R. Haven't tried BD-R or BD-RE yet, as I still need to get one of those drives first.

On a DVD+RW, pausing the playback of these files results in stuttering when playback is resumed. I sent Oppo the disc that had this behavior, and they are currently looking at it. Don't know if it's related more to the disc type or the file type. Hopefully, this will be an easy fix for them.

Dave Barnhart
Old 08-13-2009, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

SoM,
I tried both PCM and DSD this afternoon, using my Kind of Blue disc, and to be honest, I didn't have a preference, nor could I pick out a particular difference between the two that I could really notice. I did prefer the piano on the DSD rendition...seemed cleaner and more direct, but couldn't establish a difference with Mile's trumpet...could have just been that he was always using the mute!
Old 08-13-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

Hey, Jim. Have you ever A/B'd the Oppo's SACD output DSD vs PCM into your Denon2809? I'd be interested to know if you hear a difference.

I found DSD to be a small improvement over PCM with a 4308. I could tell no difference between the Oppo or the Denon doing the PCM conversion.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Does anyone have some suggestions on what the best de interlacing and interlacing settings are for watching regular NTSC content on a kuro display? The manual recommends "auto" for all those settings, but I just didn't know if someone else with a similar display had already done some trial and error and discovered other settings that might seem to work better...
Old 08-13-2009, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

oh. Didn't know that. Mine was a 1st gen. launch model. Wow, that sucks for later buyers.

Yeah, not like you would expect that from one of the two companies behind the format. Very odd decision on Sony's part.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:16 PM
GSB
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli Tha Don View Post

Does anyone have some suggestions on what the best de interlacing and interlacing settings are for watching regular NTSC content on a kuro display? The manual recommends "auto" for all those settings, but I just didn't know if someone else with a similar display had already done some trial and error and discovered other settings that might seem to work better...

No, the "Auto" setting really is best for regular NTSC content on DVD. Only if a particular disc has obvious trouble, you could try the other options for that disc.

Gary
Old 08-13-2009, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 772
I haven't been following this thread that closely. I do recall reading that Oppo will be sending out a blue-filter for the calibration disc, but didn't pay too much attention to it. Well, when I went to get the mail today, there was a package from Oppo in it. The aforementioned blue-filter and AIX Records BD. What a nice surprise. Kudos to you Oppo!

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
Old 08-13-2009, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli Tha Don View Post

...best deinterlacing and interlacing settings are for watching regular NTSC content on a Kuro display?....

What do you mean by "regular NTSC content," and what interlacing would be required? Your panel is a 1080p, as I have one also, and I use 4:2:2 from the Oppo and the Pioneer on Auto for color space. I also have 24fps On for both BluRay and DVD without a hitch on any content. I've also enabled Film Bias, but I'm not sure that comes into play for our standard DVDs.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hef View Post

What do you mean by "regular NTSC content," and what interlacing would be required? Your panel is a 1080p, as I have one also, and I use 4:2:2 from the Oppo and the Pioneer on Auto for color space. I also have 24fps On for both BluRay and DVD without a hitch on any content. I've also enabled Film Bias, but I'm not sure that comes into play for our standard DVDs.

From what I have read Film bias is only meant to be used with PAL material...
Old 08-13-2009, 04:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 257
The de-interlacing setting should always be set to "auto", unless a particular disc presents a reason to set it otherwise. For 99.9% of users, that will never happen.

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player