Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 673 - AVS Forum
First ... 671  672  673 674  675  ... Last
Blu-ray Players > Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only]
kendo70433's Avatar kendo70433 03:45 PM 08-26-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertazimmerman View Post

... It's interesting how one pair of ears or eyes can categorically determine what the other 6 billion pairs of ears and eyes can or cannot perceive. To me, that's the idiotic equivalent of saying that no one can tell the difference between wines.

Roberta

But Roberta, wine differences are easy, red and white, or mixed I suppose. Even a color blind person could tell. But golden ears are really expensive to buy. And I never could figure out how they helped the sound.

wmcclain's Avatar wmcclain 03:54 PM 08-26-2009
May I remind everyone yet again that the lovely and enticing yet strangely lonely Audio theory, Setup and Chat is ready and waiting for your audiophile contributions.

Where they would be on-topic.

-Bill
GeekGirl's Avatar GeekGirl 03:54 PM 08-26-2009
Please don't compare to wines. Or scotch. Or fine cognac. Yes, I can tell the difference between them. However, there's a lot to argue about price.

Back on-topic, please. Sorry, my AV receiver doesn't have HDMI input. The few SACD's I tried had no problem whatsoever on the analog inputs. Straight-wire-with-gain sounds really nice.

What is the "AIX" disc? Is it any different than the S+M calibration disc that got shipped with my Oppo? I tried searching the thread for a description, but couldn't find one that went into the details. Purchased from Amazon.com, not registered.

Update: Bill - we posted at the same time. Back on-topic.
pbarach's Avatar pbarach 03:57 PM 08-26-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

That's a good tip Ravi.

Keep in mind that you can hook up Component from the Oppo as well and use that with your SACD-listening input definition in the Anthem AVM 50, just in case you want to bring up any info displays from the Oppo. Component and HDMI are live at the same time from the Oppo, so this won't interfere with your use of the HDMI connection for other purposes.
--Bob

Is there a difference in the quality of video output with component versus HDMI? On my current setup (Denon 3910), the component image isn't as sharp, even after both outputs are calibrated with the monitor's controls and a test disc.
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 04:11 PM 08-26-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

Is there a difference in the quality of video output with component versus HDMI? On my current setup (Denon 3910), the component image isn't as sharp, even after both outputs are calibrated with the monitor's controls and a test disc.

Yes. The Component output of the Oppo is not processed by the ABT VRS (video processor) chip.

For best quality video, use HDMI from the Oppo.
--Bob
Jim Hef's Avatar Jim Hef 04:11 PM 08-26-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekGirl View Post

...What is the "AIX" disc?....

It's a sampler disc of high res audio and audio setup procedures. Very nice, and it's free from Oppo! You'll be sent one with the blue filter for the S&M disc if one wasn't included with that disc when you received the player.
wmcclain's Avatar wmcclain 04:13 PM 08-26-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

Is there a difference in the quality of video output with component versus HDMI?

Yes.

Quote:

On my current setup (Denon 3910), the component image isn't as sharp, even after both outputs are calibrated with the monitor's controls and a test disc.

I haven't noticed much of a sharpness difference. It is hard to judge the difference in the player because you are also using different circuitry in your display.

-Bill
tommypeters's Avatar tommypeters 04:27 PM 08-26-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Might be time for an intervention. I think you need to 'splain how you have 2 copies in your possession. Next you'll be telling us you have the Carpenters - The Singles SACD.

That's comparing rotten apples with rotten pears...
LC46D92U's Avatar LC46D92U 06:11 PM 08-26-2009
As is being discussed, if anyone has SACDs or DVD-Audio discs they they have absolutely no value in, please let me know. I am just getting in hi-res audio and would love to get my hands on more content, just to hear it once and compare it against DD and DTS.

I'd obviously pay shipping.

------------------------------------------------------------------
I recently called Oppo and was told that they were looking into network streaming via ethernet. While I was not provided with a timeline, I was told in no uncertain terms that it was being looked into.

It seems like it would technically be pretty easy to do since the machine can already download enhanced Blu-ray content to the hard drive and can play content from the hard drive. Streaming of MKV would be a huge feature for me.
stevec325's Avatar stevec325 06:15 PM 08-26-2009
Hard drive???

That might be a mod worth pursuing
sheedoe's Avatar sheedoe 06:54 PM 08-26-2009
Quick question. If my AVR (Denon AVR-4306) doesn't have HDMI 1.3a chipset and cannot pass 36-bit color, but my monitor accepts 36-bit (Pioneer KRP-500M), which option should I select on the oppo for HDMI color (30-bit, 36-bit, or off) for the best picture?

Note: When I select 30-bit or 36-bit on oppo, my pio display shows 24-bit video. Thx.
pcreel's Avatar pcreel 07:48 PM 08-26-2009
I was watching X-men 3 BR last night and everything loaded and played fine except for something weird with the sound.

I am using the 5.1 analog outs and during the menu I could hear sound from all channels, but when the movie was playing, there was no sound coming out of the right surround channel.

I was wondering if, because it is a 6.1 mix, that the player did not decode it correctly to down-mix to 5.1. I think this was the first 6.1 movie I have played or if I have watched another, it was correctly down-mixed.

Has anyone heard of this happening with the OPPO BDP-83?
cws_kahuna's Avatar cws_kahuna 08:02 PM 08-26-2009
Analog out impressions? Trying to decide on the Oppo. I currently run a Panasonic 35, HDMI pic, optical sound. I have an older pre/pro but I really like it. My TV has enough HDMI inputs for my needs with 4. I do have a small collection of SACD & DVD-A as well. My pre/pros multi channel inputs disable any setting on the pre itself and use the settings from the player. HOw are the speaker level and distance settings, I heard this runs 80hz crossover which is what I have my system set at so that is a plus for me.

Thanks
GeekGirl's Avatar GeekGirl 08:23 PM 08-26-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cws_kahuna View Post

Analog out impressions? Trying to decide on the Oppo.

It sounds much better than the Denon 2200 DVD player it replaced (also used for DVD-Audio and SACD). I have a 6 year old Yamaha RX-V2400 with analog and optical inputs, no HDMI. The Oppo does the speaker level and distance settings for the analog output. Your AV receiver / processor handles the digital bitstream side. Here's my setup for analog: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post17046393 which might help explain how the Oppo handles the analog vs. digital side. You can also download the manual from the web site: BDP-83 Support
sillysally's Avatar sillysally 08:32 PM 08-26-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheedoe View Post

Quick question. If my AVR (Denon AVR-4306) doesn't have HDMI 1.3a chipset and cannot pass 36-bit color, but my monitor accepts 36-bit (Pioneer KRP-500M), which option should I select on the oppo for HDMI color (30-bit, 36-bit, or off) for the best picture?

Note: When I select 30-bit or 36-bit on oppo, my pio display shows 24-bit video. Thx.

These settings are for BD only.
Set your Oppo to Off for deep color.
Also set your Oppo for HDMI CS to 4:2:2
Set your Kuro to Auto for HDMI.

If you watch a lot of SD (480i) then I would think you should use a HDMI 1.3a category 2 cable, run directly to your Kuro.
Then you can turn on deep color 36 bit for your SD playback.
Of course this means you would have to use the analog rca jacks or optical outs.

Also if your Denon has a pass thought, that you can set use it.

btw, the BDP-83 really does a great job with SDs that are anamorphic. SD like Armageddon really are very nicely re sized for are Kuros. The Oppo is the only BD player I have seen that will do that.

ss
pcreel's Avatar pcreel 08:53 PM 08-26-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcreel View Post

I was watching X-men 3 BR last night and everything loaded and played fine except for something weird with the sound.

I am using the 5.1 analog outs and during the menu I could hear sound from all channels, but when the movie was playing, there was no sound coming out of the right surround channel.

I was wondering if, because it is a 6.1 mix, that the player did not decode it correctly to down-mix to 5.1. I think this was the first 6.1 movie I have played or if I have watched another, it was correctly down-mixed.

Has anyone heard of this happening with the OPPO BDP-83?

I just tried LOTR extended DVD which says it is 6.1 DTS-ES. However, I selected 6.1, started playing the movie and DTS appears on the OPPO display. I pushed the audio button on the remote and on the TV screen it says it is DTS 5.1. I get sound from all speakers.

I also put this movie into my OPPO DV-983H, which is connected with a coaxial cable, selected the 6.1 track, started to play the movie and my processor display indicated it was receiving a DTS-ES 6.1 signal.

Now I'm confused.
Gregor Samsa's Avatar Gregor Samsa 09:10 PM 08-26-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec325 View Post

I'd never poo-poo anything that I did not have empirical evidence to the contrary.

When people were saying that the -83 did not deliver better DVD performance than other players (Panny, Denon, etc.) I showed them how to MEASURE and see that difference.

When these 6 billion pairs of eyes & ears can show me measurements that tell me something that I feel is snake oil, is in fact better (or even different) - I'm on board. Until then, I don't much care what others say that they can hear/see. More times than not, it's because they WANT to see/hear a difference. When science is engaged in the process, the results usually bear differentlty.

Remember, terminology such as: "open", "airy", "transparent", "vibrant", "clear", etc. are subjective. I can show you (and instrument for you) the differences between DVD playback quality between the -83 and another player. Describing that performance as more vibrant & clear, is my subjective opinion, only.

I was just teasing you about the power cord, though I'd never touch the $10K CD player remark

Listening to music is a subjective experience, and holding it hostage to measurements makes as much sense as trying to conduct a double-blind, multi-center study of lovemaking skill.
cws_kahuna's Avatar cws_kahuna 09:20 PM 08-26-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekGirl View Post

It sounds much better than the Denon 2200 DVD player it replaced (also used for DVD-Audio and SACD). I have a 6 year old Yamaha RX-V2400 with analog and optical inputs, no HDMI. The Oppo does the speaker level and distance settings for the analog output. Your AV receiver / processor handles the digital bitstream side. Here's my setup for analog: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post17046393 which might help explain how the Oppo handles the analog vs. digital side. You can also download the manual from the web site: BDP-83 Support

Thanks GeekGirl
jotter's Avatar jotter 09:23 PM 08-26-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC46D92U View Post

I recently called Oppo and was told that they were looking into network streaming via ethernet. While I was not provided with a timeline, I was told in no uncertain terms that it was being looked into.

It seems like it would technically be pretty easy to do since the machine can already download enhanced Blu-ray content to the hard drive and can play content from the hard drive. Streaming of MKV would be a huge feature for me.

So I guess streaming from a NAS device is out for now. But that doesnt exclude leaving it connected up to the same NAS drive via USB... I wonder whether I could get rid of my popcorn hour with the oppo....

Edit: ahhh, apparently not (reading through the FAQ, 4Gb fat32 limit, no isos.... sigh)

Jonathan
SoundofMind's Avatar SoundofMind 09:26 PM 08-26-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor Samsa View Post

Listening to music is a subjective experience, and holding it hostage to measurements makes as much sense as trying to conduct a double-blind, multi-center study of lovemaking skill.

We are currently applying for federal funding for just such a study.
leondup's Avatar leondup 09:41 PM 08-26-2009
Hi There,

Just want to know if some of you has experienced this on "The Spirit" DVD and if I should report it to OPPO support?
  • When pressing the yellow button on remote the movie skips to the first chapter but freezes the player after 10 seconds (Everytime). Playing the DVD from the menu is OK.
  • I have stopped (pressing stop on remote) the movie for round about 5 to 10 minutes and when I started it again by pressing play on the remote, the language has changed from "English" to "Italian" automatically. Very strange???

I am using the latest beta 0805.

Just another note from me. I have listened to "Brothers in Arms" SACD this weekend and did get a R/K crack as well but very intermittent and could not reproduce it again. It seems that it comes and goes without any warning or reason.
par4's Avatar par4 09:51 PM 08-26-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

We are currently applying for federal funding for just such a study.

Hmmmm...... sounds like it might require a stimulus package.
himey's Avatar himey 10:53 PM 08-26-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cws_kahuna View Post

Analog out impressions? Trying to decide on the Oppo...
Thanks

Any more comments on this would be great. I am mainly looking to upgrade my cheap Sony SACD player. Would be nice to also add DTS Master audio for blu-rays which my player will not do...
robertazimmerman's Avatar robertazimmerman 11:05 PM 08-26-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor Samsa View Post

Yup!

R
Smarty-pants's Avatar Smarty-pants 11:29 PM 08-26-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcreel View Post

I just tried LOTR extended DVD which says it is 6.1 DTS-ES. However, I selected 6.1, started playing the movie and DTS appears on the OPPO display. I pushed the audio button on the remote and on the TV screen it says it is DTS 5.1. I get sound from all speakers.

I also put this movie into my OPPO DV-983H, which is connected with a coaxial cable, selected the 6.1 track, started to play the movie and my processor display indicated it was receiving a DTS-ES 6.1 signal.

Now I'm confused.

I'm confused too. You say the player is reporting 5.1, but then you say you are getting sound from all speakers.

What kind of audio connection are you using for the BDP-83?

If you are using the player to decode the audio (lpcm setting), then you will not get DTS-ES because the player can not decode it.
IF you can bitstream HDMI, the you will get the proper 6.1 audio.
IF you connect a SPDIF connection, and set it to bitstream, then you will get the proper 6.1 audio.
If you are using MCH analog audio output, then you will not get ES, you will get a downmixed 5.1 sound, because once again, the player can not decode ES with the decoder that is in the player.

Personally, I keep an optical cable connected for this type of sound if I choose to use it.
I can also bitstream HDMI for ES soundtracks, but I have to go into the player and make sure HDMI is set to bitstream, as most of the time I leave it at lpcm.
remcoy's Avatar remcoy 12:52 AM 08-27-2009
HDMI > 720P > 7UY ED Plasma w/DVI board.

There is a bunch of Macro-Blocking in the dark areas when playing SD DVD's, what up with that?
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 01:10 AM 08-27-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by remcoy View Post

HDMI > 720P > 7UY ED Plasma w/DVI board.

There is a bunch of Macro-Blocking in the dark areas when playing SD DVD's, what up with that?

Try switching to the "public experimental" 0805 firmware. It has improvements in color space conversion that should deal with this.

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-b...3-Support.aspx

You may also find the new HDMI Deep Color "OFF (Dithered)" setting of value.

I presume your DVI blade won't accept YCbCr video data format. If your DVI blade will accept Studio RGB (i.e., Black = 16), then that's what you should set it to. The corresponding setting in the Oppo is HDMI Color Space "RGB Video Level". Both have to be set for this to work. If you are not already using these settings, be sure to re-check and adjust your Blacks (Brightness) and Whites (Contrast) level adjustments in your display using the Spears & Munsil disc. Once properly adjusted, nothing below 17 should be visible in the Dynamic Range Low chart. 17 itself should be just the barest hint of visible, or even invisible itself.

You can also have problems like this if the Gamma value is too low on your display -- which means (among other things) that you "come out of black" too fast -- pixels near black are too distinguishable from Black and from each other. Many display manufactures ship factory default Gamma settings that are too low because it provides "false pop" to the image in store conditions (where people can't see the near black stuff anyway).

I don't know what setting options you have available to adjust Gamma in your display. Check the owner's thread for your display. There is also a video calibration forum here where you will find tutorial material. In brief, Brightness controls Black levels, Contrast controls Reference White level, and Gamma controls the shape of the response curve between Black and Reference White. It is not supposed to be a straight line -- every step the same size. A properly adjusted display "comes out of black" gradually -- a small step size between adjacent values -- and then catches up as it approaches Reference White -- a larger step size. This is required to match the natural response of traditional CRT TVs which defines the standard for all home theater video.

Note that these controls typically interact so you have to iterate to find the sweet spot setting for the set of them.
--Bob
remcoy's Avatar remcoy 02:01 AM 08-27-2009
Ah, good info. Maybe I'll try 0805

My has display's been calibrated though, and gamma is a close to 2.2 at it can get.

The DVI blade only seems to accept RGB and is already set to RGB Video levels,
When I tried the YCbCr settings, the screen remained pink.

I've never seen macroblocking before with everything set as it is now...
ravichopra's Avatar ravichopra 04:15 AM 08-27-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC46D92U View Post

This is exciting news! I love my Popcorn Hour, but the thought of being able to run all my media through the Oppo's processor is VERY enticing.

-Ravi
FoxyMulder's Avatar FoxyMulder 04:59 AM 08-27-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Like the heroes in Greek tragedies, I am both blessed and cursed in that I get lots of unsolicited free discs. In the present case, two copies of the Celine Dion arrived. They are both on the unsealed/neglected pile.

Nope. So far, so good.

I'll take them all off your hands for free. Celine Dion is a great singer.
Tags: Blu Ray Players , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player
First ... 671  672  673 674  675  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop