Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 682 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #20431 of 39352 Old 08-30-2009, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by subavision212 View Post

Just for clarification from the experts, when using the BDP-83's HDMI connection to my still-to-come new pre/pro, my speakers should be set to small since the digital connection takes care of the bass management, correct?

No. WHen you use HDMI, all the bass management, room correction, etc., will be done in your pre-pro. So there's no speaker setting to do in the Oppo....all that stuff and all those settings are in the pre-pro.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20432 of 39352 Old 08-30-2009, 05:10 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by subavision212 View Post

Just for clarification from the experts, when using the BDP-83's HDMI connection to my still-to-come new pre/pro, my speakers should be set to small since the digital connection takes care of the bass management, correct? That is the way I used to have my system set up when watching dvds and using the coaxial connection on my Outlaw 950 and everything sounded great. I am using the analog outs on my Sony 550 right now (moving upstairs shortly with arrival of the 83) with my speakers set to large, sub on and bass management turned on in the 950 until I upgrade but was still a bit fuzzy about just what a digital connection takes care of audio-wise.

No.

When you use any of the digital audio outputs of the Oppo, no speaker configuration processing happens. The settings in the Oppo's Setup > Audio Processing > Speaker Configuration menu are simply ignored. Those settings apply to the multi-channel analog output of the Oppo only. If you are not using the multi-channel analog output, I suggest you leave all those settings at factory defaults.

The effect for audio over HDMI is the same as if, in the Oppo, you had set all speakers to Large, all at the same distance, and all at 0dB volume trim. The down-mix for HDMI audio will be set automatically according to what your AVR tells the Oppo it can handle for input.

What all this means is that when using HDMI audio from the Oppo -- whether HDMI LPCM (decoding in the Oppo) or HDMI Bitstream (decoding in your AVR) -- you must make your speaker configuration settings in the AVR. Tell the AVR whether you want bass steering from your other speakers to your subwoofer (i.e., whether you want it to treat your other speakers as Small or Large). Tell the AVR the correct distances for your speakers. Tell the AVR what volume trims to apply to balance all your speakers. And select any audio processing you want your AVR to do for you -- such as raising 2.0 input from stereo programs to 5.1 or 7.1 speakers for output.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #20433 of 39352 Old 08-30-2009, 05:13 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

rluke3,
See page 58 of the owner's Manual (Audio Signal Reference Chart).

Decoding of DTS-HD MA tracks (as for HDMI LPCM output) is limited to 7.1 96KHz 24-bit, or 2.0 192KHz 24-bit. These limits are, as I recall, imposed by the DTS-HD MA spec itself (for DTS-HD MA as delivered on Blu-Ray), rather than by the player.

However, DTS-HD MA 5.1 decoding is limited to 96KHz 24-bit as well. This is a hardware (processor performance) limitation in the Oppo. It is unlikely this will change in future firmware. Unfortunately, this additional, player-imposed limit is not explicitly spelled out in that chart.

----------------------------

NOTE: Decoding of Dolby TrueHD tracks is supported up to 7.1 192KHz 24-bit.
--Bob

Thanks Bob....!
post #20434 of 39352 Old 08-30-2009, 05:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

rluke3,
See page 58 of the owner's Manual (Audio Signal Reference Chart).

Decoding of DTS-HD MA tracks (as for HDMI LPCM output) is limited to 7.1 96KHz 24-bit, or 2.0 192KHz 24-bit. These limits are, as I recall, imposed by the DTS-HD MA spec itself (for DTS-HD MA as delivered on Blu-Ray), rather than by the player.

However, DTS-HD MA 5.1 decoding is limited to 96KHz 24-bit as well. This is a hardware (processor performance) limitation in the Oppo. It is unlikely this will change in future firmware. Unfortunately, this additional, player-imposed limit is not explicitly spelled out in that chart.

----------------------------

NOTE: Decoding of Dolby TrueHD tracks is supported up to 7.1 192KHz 24-bit.
--Bob

This situation certainly worked out decent for me, because while the player can not decode dtd-hd/ma 192, my AVR (the TX-SR805) can.
Just as well, my AVR can not decode TrueHD 192, but the player can.
I just have to live with no Audyssey with 192KHZ audio, since apparently the AVR can not process both simultaneously.

It sure would be nice if the BDP-83 had an option to downres 192KHZ sources to 96 KHZ. However, I have no idea if that would be an easy or hard thing to implement from an OEM standpoint.
There are many, many AVRs out there like mine with the same limitation, so it may be something OPPO might want to look into.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #20435 of 39352 Old 08-30-2009, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec325 View Post

I'm sure everyone worked really hard on this feature. However, I don't think it should win any awards. It was ho-hum (at best). Leo phoned it in and Kate was pretty lackluster, also.

Most technicians only care if the "check clears", and our motto is: "We don't WRITE em, we just LIGHT em."
post #20436 of 39352 Old 08-30-2009, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I love that

-steve
My HT Setup - updated 12/25/2012
"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
post #20437 of 39352 Old 08-30-2009, 08:09 PM

Can anyone comment on PQ of the OPPO playing blu-rays and DVDs vs the PS3? I've borrowed my brother's PS3 and have tested out a few DVDs. I've been pretty impressed with the upconverting of the player. I'm just curious how it stacks up against the OPPO.
post #20438 of 39352 Old 08-30-2009, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

I received my BDP-83 on the 28th (only four days from Amazon). Their free shipping usually works well for me but I am curious if the lack of double-box packaging on this order has anything to do with the cost savings. It wouldn't have bothered me so much if the shipping label were placed on the top of the box. As a result, UPS was handling it upside-down during transit. Fortunately, the player seems to have suffered no ill effects. I received both test discs and the blue filter.

It is my pleasure to announce that this player is everything everyone has said it would be and more! It has handled everything I've thrown at it gracefully. The boot-up time and disc loading are very close if not the same as the PS3. 24fps DVD playback works surprisingly well also and I really like being able to frame-advance on video playback again (something my Sony BDP-S550 didn't do).

So far, I've only heard one instance where a "pop" was slightly audible. It was during DVD-Audio playback, however. I know most have indicated this was a problem with SACDs. I have just a hand full of these in my possession and they've all played flawlessly. My previous SACD/DVD-Audio player was a Pioneer DV-46AV and while it handled the task well, the Oppo does it even better!

I think I'm sticking with the firmware I received for now (0620) since it seems quite stable.

Now I need to increase my DVD-Audio/SACD collection. Which reminds me, are there any good review sites for both formats?

Another satisfied customer.
post #20439 of 39352 Old 08-30-2009, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsxn View Post

Can anyone comment on PQ of the OPPO playing blu-rays and DVDs vs the PS3? I've borrowed my brother's PS3 and have tested out a few DVDs. I've been pretty impressed with the upconverting of the player. I'm just curious how it stacks up against the OPPO.

Check out this thread for an extensive comparison of the BDP-83 to other players. The short answer is that the BDP-83 will be relatively similar to the PS3 on Blu-ray Discs and generally superior to the PS3 for DVD's, but more detail can be had in the thread.

gonk
Beta tester: BDP-83 / BDP-80
post #20440 of 39352 Old 08-30-2009, 09:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

GEEZ, where is "SmartyPants" when you NEED em? He'll be around to help you, in the meantime, just search or scroll this entire thread, or just look up our sales member SmartyPants. I believe he will tell you the uprez chip in the Oppo has no peers, at least for now....
post #20441 of 39352 Old 08-30-2009, 09:48 PM

Hi There,

Do you guys experience a short interval of DD and DTS syncing issue when changing chapters on DVD's. I have the OPPO connected to my RX-V663 via HDMI. The OPPO is bit streaming (which I prefer) to the RX-V663. It is like the the 2 units are re-syncing for just a brief moment after skipping chapters. This is quite annoying. How did you guys resolve this issue other than changing from bit streaming to LPCM or did you accept this behavior.
post #20442 of 39352 Old 08-30-2009, 09:53 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leondup View Post

Hi There,

Do you guys experience a short interval of DD and DTS syncing issue when changing chapters on DVD's. I have the OPPO connected to my RX-V663 via HDMI. The OPPO is bit streaming (which I prefer) to the RX-V663. It is like the the 2 units are re-syncing for just a brief moment after skipping chapters. This is quite annoying. How did you guys resolve this issue other than changing from bit streaming to LPCM or did you accept this behavior.

No such problem when Bitstreaming to my Anthem Statement D2v.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #20443 of 39352 Old 08-30-2009, 10:27 PM

Thanks Bob.

So you suspect this to be a RX-V663 HDMI handshaking problem? Do you think I must ask this question rather in the RX-V663 threat?

Regards.
post #20444 of 39352 Old 08-30-2009, 11:14 PM
Read the FAQ!

I suspect it is a problem in your AVR, but these things are always tricky to nail down as to just why. I simply wanted to let you know it was not an expected problem with the Oppo.
--Bob

post #20445 of 39352 Old 08-30-2009, 11:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsn View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mactavish View Post

GEEZ, where is "SmartyPants" when you NEED em? He'll be around to help you, in the meantime, just search or scroll this entire thread, or just look up our sales member SmartyPants. I believe he will tell you the uprez chip in the Oppo has no peers, at least for now....

Well, you're pretty much right. When it comes to a Blu-ray/dvd player, I hear a couple of the newer players out can almost hold their own against the ABT:VRS solution in the BDP-83, but for a long time the PS3 was a close second to the OPPO DV-983H and BDP-83 players when it came to dvd playback.

Most certainly though, it is better in the OPPO than in the PS3. You're not going to see a large difference most of the time. However when you get a pic from a dvd blown up on a large projection screen, you can definitely see the scaling is better than the PS3, and the deinterlacing on many discs is much better.
When you need a top_notch deinterlacing chip to do the dirty work on discs with odd cadences and errors too, you WILL NOT find a better solution in the price range of the BDP-83.

Now most of that so far refers mainly to dvd, but for Blu-ray it can be just as much of the same criteria.
When you are comparing 1080p/24HZ and/or 1080p/60HZ output via HDMI from most Blu-ray players, you are not going to see much of a difference.
However when it comes to other content on Blu-ray, it can be very different.
There are many Blu-ray discs out there that are actually 1080I/60HZ native. A lot of people don't know that.
Then there are the extra features on discs, BDLive content, video and audio from USB flash drives and hard drives alike. ALL of those sources are more then likely to contain resolution lower than that of a 1080/24 Blu-ray disc.
Once again, this is where the scaling and deinterlacing of the ABT chip in the BDP-83 comes into play. (<-see paragraph 1)

So next time someone says that Blu-ray playback is the same on all players. Just tell them "No no noooo... no non nooo... not all content on Blu-ray is at 1080/24, the BDP-83 is a notch above in this category against any other player costing even twice as much as the OPPO, let alone in the same price class."

So to sum up... Ya, it's better than the PS3, in more ways than one.
The PS3 can get the job done adequately, and does a good job at it too... AND, it's a gaming machine on top of that. Quite an awesome piece of machinery.
However, if you are looking for the best possible Universal Blu-ray disc player, there's no need to look farther than the OPPO BDP-83. It is top notch quality and performance that can't be beat for the bargain price compared to anything else that can even compete.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
post #20446 of 39352 Old 08-31-2009, 03:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
^^^ That is so true. I have many concert DVD's and the 83 handles them better than when I had my Toshiba HD-XA2. The 83 is the best player I've ever owned. I do want to check out some BD's that I have with extras in 480i and see how they are handled.

"The powerful will be ripped from their decadent nests. And cast out into the cold world that we know and endure. Courts will be convened. Spoils will be enjoyed!"

-Bane

post #20447 of 39352 Old 08-31-2009, 03:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Well said Dave, I also used my Toshiba XA2 for upscaling before I got the Oppo. I thought it would be hard to beat. When I got the Oppo I compared both and the Oppo is slightly better. I find that some SD disks look close to Blu-Ray. I am not saying that they are as good as Blu-Ray but they have become watchable on a large screen. I also love the Oppo since it plays nearly every disk I try. It has become my player of choice and my PS3 has been transfered to another room.
post #20448 of 39352 Old 08-31-2009, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My BDP-83 was hanged during update offical firmware and now I cannot switch on the player (only the red LED light on),...
Anyone know how to reset the player?
Thanks a lot
post #20449 of 39352 Old 08-31-2009, 06:04 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuppi View Post

My BDP-83 was hanged during update offical firmware and now I cannot switch on the player (only the red LED light on),...
Anyone know how to reset the player?
Thanks a lot

Try disconnecting the power for 20 minutes.

-Bill
post #20450 of 39352 Old 08-31-2009, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by leondup View Post

Hi There,

No problem bit streaming to my RX-V3800.
post #20451 of 39352 Old 08-31-2009, 08:16 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by alull View Post

sounds like you're down-mixing the sound to 5.1.
go to Audio Processing / Speaker Configuration / Down Mix to change the value to what your system can play back.

oops. upon further research, it might also be a (matrixed?) ES or EX track, which i don't think the OPPO decodes. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=16672063 (aw, will you look at that, another player had problems playing a Blu-ray disc.. )

Any word from Oppo on this? I was just watching T2 - Skynet Edition this week, and was annoyed that I could never convince the Oppo that the disc had a 6.1 audio track. The Oppo kept reporting 5.1, but if bitstreamed to the receiver, then the receiver knew it was 6.1. And the PS3 knew it was 6.1 from the start.... So why should/would the Oppo be my only blu-ray/lossless electronic component that can't understand T2 has a 6.1 lossless sound-track?
post #20452 of 39352 Old 08-31-2009, 08:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill222 View Post

Any word from Oppo on this? I was just watching T2 - Skynet Edition this week, and was annoyed that I could never convince the Oppo that the disc had a 6.1 audio track. The Oppo kept reporting 5.1, but if bitstreamed to the receiver, then the receiver knew it was 6.1. And the PS3 knew it was 6.1 from the start.... So why should/would the Oppo be my only blu-ray/lossless electronic component that can't understand T2 has a 6.1 lossless sound-track?

Asked and answered many times.

The DTS-ES matrix is in fact 5.1, not 6.1. Only an ES decoder can create 6.1 from this stream. The Oppo cannot decode DTS-ES because it has a "DTS-HD Essential" decoder. this is common in BD players.

You have 2 options:
1) bitstream the audio to your AVR for decoding if it supports DTS-MA audio.
2) Decode to PCM in the player, then matrix a ES decoder in your AVR to create 6.1. Or, use a PLIIx decoder in the AVR to create 7.1.
post #20453 of 39352 Old 08-31-2009, 08:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 19
And another comment / question regarding audio . . .

I finally got around to watching "The Bucket List" (on BR) last night. I've had the disc for quite some time but had never got around to watching it. Fantastic movie, BTW.

Anyway, I'm "used to" the player outputting the highest quality soundtrack from a disc to my RX-Z7 for decoding, so I payed no attention to the -83 display nor the Z7 display when I began watching. However, there was rather loud a regular "snap" or "pop" from all speakers during playback. At first I ignored it - hoping it would just go away. I finally tired of it and checked the displays and noticed that the Z7 was displaying PCM stereo input. From the -83 remote I went to the audio menu and voila - the audio changed (by itself) to 5.1 bitstream! Popping was gone, and of course the audio was much improved.

HDMI connections and firmware version 0805, BTW.

Any ideas what took place?

Best regards,
Lloyd C.

post #20454 of 39352 Old 08-31-2009, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Try disconnecting the power for 20 minutes.

-Bill

Thanks Bill,....but still not work..
post #20455 of 39352 Old 08-31-2009, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

Well said Dave, I also used my Toshiba XA2 for upscaling before I got the Oppo. I thought it would be hard to beat. When I got the Oppo I compared both and the Oppo is slightly better. I find that some SD disks look close to Blu-Ray. I am not saying that they are as good as Blu-Ray but they have become watchable on a large screen. I also love the Oppo since it plays nearly every disk I try. It has become my player of choice and my PS3 has been transfered to another room.

I third the motion. The Oppo is slightly better than my XA2 for upscaling and has made me not worry so much about buying or watching only BD discs.

"The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow."
post #20456 of 39352 Old 08-31-2009, 08:56 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuppi View Post

Thanks Bill,....but still not work..

Contact OPPO support.

-Bill
post #20457 of 39352 Old 08-31-2009, 09:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Contact OPPO support.

-Bill

Yep, bricked. Stuff happens. Bad luck. OPPO should have him back in action quickly.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #20458 of 39352 Old 08-31-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdryyz View Post

...I am curious if the lack of double-box packaging on this order has anything to do with the [Amazon] cost savings.

... DVD-Audio/SACD ... are there any good review sites for both formats?

I ordered my 83 direct from Oppo; it was sent via FedEx Ground without double-boxing.

I find these HD audio review sites to be dependable:

http://www.audaud.com/index.php

http://www.sa-cd.net/
post #20459 of 39352 Old 08-31-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:

On the projector my OPPO is definitly better than my PS3, especially when upconverting regular-shmegular dvd's.
post #20460 of 39352 Old 08-31-2009, 10:17 AM

Liked: 19
Yay! My Oppo 83 is "Out for Delivery" on the UPS tracking site today - the three sweetest words I love to see most on any shipping site...

I just got my new Optoma HD20 projector instaled in my theater a week ago, so now I'll finally be fully HD-capable for my movie nights. I've been using my daughter's PS3 for this past week, it looks great, but with that I can only use the optical connection for audio to my Parasound 7100 processor, as the Parasound has no HDMI inputs. I'll at least be able to use the 7.1 analog connections with the Oppo... Looking forward to some awesome movie watching now...!

FEEL an awesome 3D Blu-ray movie in the Frey Theater - Now with projection in glorious "FREYMAX" 3D!

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Oppo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page