post #181 of 39506 Old 02-26-2009, 11:24 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

Is the Blu Ray PQ performance the same vs your current player? Joe, I know you've seen most, if not all of the current crop of BR players....what are beta testers findings?

My personal bias is to use the player as a transport -- i.e., in Source Direct mode. I do any necessary imaging adjustments in my pre-pro.

Used that way, into my Anthem Statement D2v, I find picture quality between the Oppo BDP-83 and the PS3 identical for Blu-Ray (i.e., excellent). SD-DVD playback has gone through some recent changes in the Oppo firmware so I'm going to reserve comment, but the PS3 has severe disadvantages since it is incapable of HDMI 480i output and its de-interlacing is seriously under par. CD playback quality in the Oppo is superior to the PS3 (HDMI audio output for both).
--Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. -- Need personal consultation/training?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 39506 Old 02-26-2009, 11:25 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic View Post

Does the remote look the same as say the 983's? Any other buttons other than the blue/red/green ones that BR players have?

Totally new remote, backlit, lots of buttons. There is a photo somewhere.

Quote:

I was wondering if it had a 10-30 replay/ff button like the Sony 550?

I don't know what that is but I'm going to say no.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #183 of 39506 Old 02-26-2009, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OPPO is planning to release another 100 players into the EAP on March 15th or 16th (I assume feedback will be positive). OPPO would also like to release the finished product before March 31st.

My question: is less then two weeks (about a 10-12 days with shipping) enough time to get proper feedback from the second group of EAP participants and still release the BDP-83 before March 31st?

Thanks in advance.
post #184 of 39506 Old 02-26-2009, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by TapOrSnap View Post

My question: is less then two weeks (about a 10-12 days with shipping) enough time to get proper feedback from the second group of EAP participants and still release the BDP-83 before March 31st?

The milestones are set so that the Early Adoption Program participant will have a full week of use before voting. The first 50 will also have had additional time with the player, so they will have a better understanding if their initial vote was justified or not.
post #185 of 39506 Old 02-26-2009, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quality loss and encoding time are the two main issues with re-encoding your media to MPEG-4
post #186 of 39506 Old 02-26-2009, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloz2 View Post

congrats to those that were invited. I 'm anxiously awaiting reports and praying Oppo doesn't increase the price for retail.

It would be really nice if Oppo decided to increase the price when officially released to allow those who signed up for the EAP but didn't get picked to buy it for the EAP price as a limited time offer. If anyone has connections with Oppo maybe this could be suggested.
post #187 of 39506 Old 02-26-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

The milestones are set so that the Early Adoption Program participant will have a full week of use before voting.

So the second group of EAP participants will vote "yes" or "no" around March 25th?
post #188 of 39506 Old 02-26-2009, 11:40 AM

Liked: 13
When the 983 came out, I did not upgrade from 981, was too much money for me + I'm in canada.
At 499. I think little high, but I will get it, but 599. change that to Canadian = no way. I'll just pick up all those for sale 550, 35/55 that will very cheap.

EluneVision 106" Reference Studio 4K Tab-tensioned - 1.0 Gain, Benq 1070, psb T6, Rotel, OPPO, Velodine (Now),
135" AT screen, JVC-X35, 3x RF82, 3x Emotiva XPA100, Velodine, Rotel, OPPO (Sold with house).
post #189 of 39506 Old 02-26-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubawoman View Post

it would be really nice if oppo decided to increase the price when officially released to allow those who signed up for the eap but didn't get picked to buy it for the eap price as a limited time offer. If anyone has connections with oppo maybe this could be suggested.

+1
post #190 of 39506 Old 02-26-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

Bob: Thanks for the write up and continued support to the membership with answering follow up questions....it's appreciated.

This question is to Bob, Joerod, Mark or anyone one of the beta testers...

I assume the answer is "the same"....but I'll ask any way.

Is the Blu Ray PQ performance the same vs your current player? Joe, I know you've seen most, if not all of the current crop of BR players....what are beta testers findings?

I feel that the Bluray PQ is absolutely on par with the best Bluray players on the market, like the PS3... If not better than such players.

SD-DVD playback is on par with 983H playback (ie: excellent as well).

Like Bob said earlier, the player handles Bluray rather quickly and for a stand alone unit it's quite fast.

post #191 of 39506 Old 02-26-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourtoys7 View Post

When the 983 came out, I did not upgrade from 981, was too much money for me + I'm in canada.
At 499. I think little high, but I will get it, but 599. change that to Canadian = no way. I'll just pick up all those for sale 550, 35/55 that will very cheap.

Like others have mentioned before, I also feel the player is underpriced. It's a unit that compares only to players in the $1500-$4000 range. To ask $499-$599 is really pushing the value, and once the reviews are out I think people will begin to see that more clearly. EAP participant's voices on the player will really dictate how the average consumer really feels about the unit.

post #192 of 39506 Old 02-26-2009, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TapOrSnap View Post

So the second group of EAP participants will vote "yes" or "no" around March 25th?

There is no official second vote date. Based off of my conversations with OPPO, they were looking at 2 week intervals between votes. However, they did not have a set schedule, or they at least were not going to tell me when they had new milestones planned.
post #193 of 39506 Old 02-26-2009, 12:03 PM

Congrats to everyone!

Does anyone know whether processing through the front left and right channels of the 7.1 analog outs will give me HDCD decoding, or would this have to happen through the spearate 2 channel stereo output?

Also, is it safe to say that you beta testers now have through firmware the equivalent of what the early adopters will soon receive?

Thanks,

David

OPPO BDP-83-EAP-2 Lottery "Winner"
post #194 of 39506 Old 02-26-2009, 12:06 PM

Neuromancer, I always appreciate your quick responses.
post #195 of 39506 Old 02-26-2009, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post

I know many would be upset if oppo increased the price to $599 after the EAP, but IMO I think they will do just that. But give people a "preorder" or "initial release" price of $499. That way they can satisfy all the EAP people that didn't get randomly selected and also keep the player's perceived value higher.

I think you nailed it. I would hope Oppo would offer all the remaining people on the 'interest list' , the ability to pre-order for $499. That way all of us that have waited just as long as the next guy, will have the same price cut. I then expect that they might soon pull the 'interested in the bd-83' sign up and then will offer the player for all others at $599.

We have to live through you lucky 50, so I hope you are all up for the Q&A that is going to be coming your way . I hope you guys test the player to death..lol.
post #196 of 39506 Old 02-26-2009, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrumc View Post

I think you nailed it. I would hope Oppo would offer all the remaining people on the 'interest list' , the ability to pre-order for $499. That way all of us that have waited just as long as the next guy, will have the same price cut. I then expect that they might soon pull the 'interested in the bd-83' sign up and then will offer the player for all others at $599.

I agree. After being put through this on-again-off-again-on-again process for the past few months, and then missing out via luck of the draw it would really be a bitter pill to have to swallow an increased price also.

"Nature Abhors a Vacuum Tube" -  
post #197 of 39506 Old 02-26-2009, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

6 months after full production you can probably expect the price to settle around $500.
By then most firmware changes will be in and it will be well tested. Of course, those who are not already in possession of 'good' player will not want to wait. You can't go very wrong whatever you do IMO. Should be class player!
post #198 of 39506 Old 02-26-2009, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

OPPO has never lowered their MSRP. The MSRP is set in stone. So whatever price they decide on will be the price for the entire product cycle.
post #199 of 39506 Old 02-26-2009, 12:33 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready4HD View Post

Also, is it safe to say that you beta testers now have through firmware the equivalent of what the early adopters will soon receive?

The Beta testers are only supposed to talk about what's shipping in the EAP units.

So if we had something different we couldn't talk about it.

I'm confident the comments I posted above are valid for the EAP units.
--Bob

. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #200 of 39506 Old 02-26-2009, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

And Bob Pariseau's statements are correct. We Beta Testers are still under NDA, so anything that is not public (ie. will be seen by the Early Adopter Users) can't be discussed.
post #201 of 39506 Old 02-26-2009, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready4HD View Post

Does anyone know whether processing through the front left and right channels of the 7.1 analog outs will give me HDCD decoding, or would this have to happen through the spearate 2 channel stereo output?

HDCD is decoded over the dedicated stereo and multi-channel analog, digital coaxial and optical, and HDMI interfaces. Ie. all audio outputs.
post #202 of 39506 Old 02-26-2009, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Hello,
I was wondering just how much better or different DSD sounds bitstreamed without PCM conversion? Especially compared to the PS3 which converts to PCM. I have read that aside from ear splitting levels it is difficult to distinguish.

I currently use a PS3 60gb and a Denon DVD-3910 for DSD and am interested in the BDP-83 solely for SACD.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
AD

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
post #203 of 39506 Old 02-26-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:

OPPO has never lowered their MSRP. The MSRP is set in stone. So whatever price they decide on will be the price for the entire product cycle.

Why? Almost every other company out there adjusts their MSRP over the life cycle of a product. Not saying they should be like everyone else, but obviously lowering MSRP is done for a reason.

Just sounds like you're stating that it's a good thing, or something they're proud of, when it's actually probably not good business sense....
post #204 of 39506 Old 02-26-2009, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 View Post

Please install the unit at MY house and test it against MY TV

No.
post #205 of 39506 Old 02-26-2009, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Where is Oppo getting their customers from? It seems it could only be from AVS and other online forums . Ive never seen an Oppo commercial on TV.
In order for me to buy one, this player has got to be a huge leap over any of the large number of players that are under $500 ...there are alot of them and severalo are very good performers.
post #206 of 39506 Old 02-26-2009, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork View Post

I was wondering just how much better or different DSD sounds bitstreamed without PCM conversion? Especially compared to the PS3 which converts to PCM. I have read that aside from ear splitting levels it is difficult to distinguish.

This would be easy to determine, given that the DV-980H already has this feature. Used with my Denon AVR-3808CI, I prefer the Oppo to send PCM since the Denon then applies my Audyssey settings. To me, this sounds better than DSD multi-direct.

Brad
post #207 of 39506 Old 02-26-2009, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James W. Johnson View Post

...In order for me to buy one, this player has got to be a huge leap over any of the large number of players that are under $500....

Look at the feature set and spec listing on the first page and see what you feel you would want. If it's just a BD transport with HDMI connection, you can probably do that for 1/3 the cost.
post #208 of 39506 Old 02-26-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:

I was one of the lucky ones who got the 981HD from woot.com for around $105 about a year ago. Other than that, you are right...I've never seen OPPO's prices come down.
post #209 of 39506 Old 02-26-2009, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

And that was a special case, sort of an extreme form of the "b-stock" prices that OPPO sometimes offers. The official MSRP for their players has always been fixed throughout their production lives.

gonk
Beta tester:
/
post #210 of 39506 Old 02-26-2009, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

They can raise them but not lower them? (introduction vs. production release)...extreme form of 'b' stock....? ....I am sure you will be able to get one at $500 within a year, brand new...whether from them or a retailer. Of course if they release them at $500 that would be a great price-point.
I know they have lowered some prices in the past, I don't remember the exact reason, could have been an 'extreme form' (whatever that is) of B stock. Agree, it was an exception not a rule.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page