Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 711 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #21301 of 39352 Old 09-14-2009, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Bill,

What sharpness settings do you sue for br and then dvds.

joel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21302 of 39352 Old 09-14-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinklefree View Post

To the eye, dithered doesn't seem to look different, but its important to realize that greyscale is affected.

If it affects greyscale, what does it do to gamma?
Roy
post #21303 of 39352 Old 09-14-2009, 01:10 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

Bill,

What sharpness settings do you sue for br and then dvds.

joel

Looking at Detail and Edge Enhancement: I could leave them at (0,0) for Blu-ray.

For DVD I experiment with -2 and -3 for either and both. It does not seem to harm the Blu-ray image on my small LCD, and reduces the ringing (white halos) I see on DVD test patterns like the Alignment/Overscan screen on the GetGray disc.

More here: What are the recommended Edge and Detail Enhancement and Noise Reduction settings?

-Bill
post #21304 of 39352 Old 09-14-2009, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Got off the phone with Oppo Tech Support and I was told that it is known that with FW 905 will not play Blu ray discs with some players.
post #21305 of 39352 Old 09-14-2009, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Fellow BDP-83 owners may be interested in the evaluation/rating given the BDP-83 in the new "Recommended Components" review, in the October Stereophile. - In it's category (SACD, DVD, and CD players), the BDP-83 is given an "A+" rating. What's remarkable is that it's street price (of $499) is far lower than those of any other units in either the A+ or A components. For example, other players in this category include the the $24,000 Boulder 1021, the $79,996 dCS Scarlatti, the $8,000 Cary D 306, and the $3,000 Sony SCD-X9000ES. - Maybe the rating is skewed or exaggerated, but it will be nice to quote if you ever want to sell your unit.

Apparently, the A+ rating relates to the use of the unit as a transport using the HDMI output, per KR's review.

Jim Cate
post #21306 of 39352 Old 09-14-2009, 01:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Apparently, the A+ rating is dependent on the use of the HDMI output, as a transport, per KR's review.

Exactly. And that is something all the others seem to lack.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #21307 of 39352 Old 09-14-2009, 01:35 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by butchgo View Post

I have always used my thumb drive to do the firmware updates, first for my 980, and now for the 83 and I have never had a problem.
Here is what I do.
Download and save the firmware file to your desktop and then unzip it to your stick.
This has always worked for me regardless of how many files I have on my thumb drive.

I have experienced this as well. He's more than likely got the right formatting on there, just the files report that they are corrupt or something to that effect when you put the usb drive in the folder and it tries to read it.

When you use the same folder sometimes it doesn't like it. Sending the old files to the trash (and emptying the trash) will remedy it. Dunno if it's related to the old quirk with thumbdrives maintaining 'trashed' files (like when you put something in the trash, but you still didn't get your memory space back until you emptied the trash). A special caution to Mac users as the associated mac .files that it throws on there can sometimes screw things up as well. Take the new fresh folder from your download and use that instead.
post #21308 of 39352 Old 09-14-2009, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD View Post

Got off the phone with Oppo Tech Support and I was told that it is known that with FW 905 will not play Blu ray discs with some players.

was that "would not play some Blu Ray discs -or would not play any BR discs on some oppo br players?
post #21309 of 39352 Old 09-14-2009, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmongiovi View Post

If it affects greyscale, what does it do to gamma?
Roy

Apparently nothing:

post #21310 of 39352 Old 09-14-2009, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

So far so good. The new Beta has apparently solved my issue of HDMI handshake with my setup (Oppo->Denon 3808->Gefen 2x2 ->Pioneer PRO 151FD & Pioneer Projector

THanks Oppo!
post #21311 of 39352 Old 09-14-2009, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

was that "would not play some Blu Ray discs -or would not play any BR discs on some oppo br players?

any
post #21312 of 39352 Old 09-14-2009, 03:46 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD View Post

Interesting! I wonder why? Did they simply suggest you go back to 0620 firmware?
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #21313 of 39352 Old 09-14-2009, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Interesting! I wonder why? Did they simply suggest you go back to 0620 firmware?
--Bob

I had to. Oppo wanted to know the answers to these questions, Yes and Yes.

Brian,

When you updated to the 38-0905 firmware, did your MCU (Secondary Firmware) update?

Did you perform a Reset Factory Defaults after upgrading the firmware on the BDP-83?

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
Service@oppodigital.com
post #21314 of 39352 Old 09-14-2009, 04:13 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 775
Brian,
Some of the older BDP-83 hardware (from back before public launch) has an MCU that's not reprogrammable. But after you did the 0905 firmware install you got the expected new version numbers showing for all three parts of the firmware in Setup > Device Setup > Firmware Information correct? So the installer properly determined that your MCU was OK to update.

I don't know what might be different about your particular unit. But if Oppo is already aware of a problem here, I'm sure they are on top of it.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #21315 of 39352 Old 09-14-2009, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Fellow BDP-83 owners may be interested in the evaluation/rating given the BDP-83 in the new "Recommended Components" review, in the October Stereophile. - In it's category (SACD, DVD, and CD players), the BDP-83 is given an "A+" rating. What's remarkable is that it's street price (of $499) is far lower than those of any other units in either the A+ or A components. For example, other players in this category include the the $24,000 Boulder 1021, the $79,996 dCS Scarlatti, the $8,000 Cary D 306, and the $3,000 Sony SCD-X9000ES. - Maybe the rating is skewed or exaggerated, but it will be nice to quote if you ever want to sell your unit.

Apparently, the A+ rating relates to the use of the unit as a transport using the HDMI output, per KR's review.

Jim Cate

Interesting... their sister publication, Home Theater, just reviewed the new Denon universal player. Littered throughout the review were references to the -83. In the audio performance comments, they said the Denon was vastly superior to the Oppo for analog output playback. There was no mention of HDMI. I wonder what, if any difference there is, using that conduit.

-steve
My HT Setup - updated 12/25/2012
"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
post #21316 of 39352 Old 09-14-2009, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks to all who replied to my post about not getting the Oppo to read my usb for the firmware update. I got a new USB with no other files on it other than the update and the Oppo installed it in no time at all. All is well agin. Thanks, pete
post #21317 of 39352 Old 09-14-2009, 04:27 PM

post #21318 of 39352 Old 09-14-2009, 04:34 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec325 View Post

Interesting... their sister publication, Home Theater, just reviewed the new Denon universal player. Littered throughout the review were references to the -83. In the audio performance comments, they said the Denon was vastly superior to the Oppo for analog output playback. There was no mention of HDMI. I wonder what, if any difference there is, using that conduit.

Any further discussion on this really belongs in the comparison thread, but given the price difference and what we know is inside the Denon for analog audio hardware, it should be expected that the Denon has better analog audio performance. On the HDMI audio side, the only difference of significance will be Denon's (really stupid) design choice to limit SACD capabilities over HDMI (and Denon Link is available if you have a compatible Denon SSP).

Note that the Denon did not receive a "Top Pick." The review on the web site initially had the "Top Pick" logo, but it was removed after I sent some comments to Shane Buettner questioning how it could get "Top Pick" status at that price without load times comparable to the Oppo and PS3 and with the HDMI SACD limitation - regardless of how good the absolute performance is. He told me the logo was put there by mistake and sure enough it was removed the next day. The gist of his comments to me were that it IS a great player, but he expected "more" at that price point so it didn't warrant the "Top Pick" status.
post #21319 of 39352 Old 09-14-2009, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADBNZ View Post

New review: http://www.audioenz.co.nz/2009/oppo_bdp83.shtml.

Aggggg. $1,450.00
New Zealand Dollars = $1,027.18 US Dollars

Must be shipping costs and local dealer mark up.

Oppo Beta Group
post #21320 of 39352 Old 09-14-2009, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

This may be the first review that doesn't rave about the players audio capabilities. I was trying to follow, but did they state they felt the audio quality was better to their ears via analog (multi-channel) or coaxial and or HDMI audio was slightly better when the supplied cable was replaced?
post #21321 of 39352 Old 09-14-2009, 04:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec325 View Post

There was no mention of HDMI. I wonder what, if any difference there is, using that conduit.

In both cases, substantial.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #21322 of 39352 Old 09-14-2009, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

Did you try to call them today? It's possible someone could be there to help you. If not, then send them an email detailing what your problem is, and I'd bet dollars to donuts that you get a reply back before Monday. (unless the entire staff is in Georgia for the big electronics show )

Sure it sucks when things break, but you are in good hands with OPPO, so don't worry.

After not being able to view my Oppo on my Mitsubishi WD-82837 on both Friday night and Saturday, I decided to try again on Sunday. Much to my amazement, it worked. I watched it for about 5 hours and couldn't replicate the problems that I had on Friday and Saturday.

Oppo replied to my emails late last night. Rather than reply to them this morning, telling them that the player's working again, I decided to wait until I got home from work, just to be safe and try one more time.

Well, wouldn't you know it... I'm not getting a picture from HDMI again. So I called Oppo to talk to them rather than email them. The first thing that they had me try was to update the firmware to the beta version and reset to the factory settings. That didn't work. So, I called back and spoke with someone else. Using composite, he had me read him the video settings and had me try making some changes. But that didn't help. Then he asked me to connect the HDMI directly to the TV, bypassing the Onkyo receiver. That didn't do anything. Then, after talking to an engineer, he asked me to try it with a different TV. So I brought it to the bedroom TV and it worked.

Just to be safe, he then had me bring it back to the first TV and try it with the same cable that I used in the bedroom. But that didn't work. For some reason, it just won't sync up with my Mitsubishi (even though it worked with the Mitsubishi for nearly a month prior to having the problem, and then worked again on Sunday).

So, they're having me send it back to them to take a look at it. However, they're not particularly confident that they will be able to find the problem.
post #21323 of 39352 Old 09-14-2009, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Broderick View Post

After not being able to view my Oppo on my Mitsubishi WD-82837 on both Friday night and Saturday, I decided to try again on Sunday. Much to my amazement, it worked. I watched it for about 5 hours and couldn't replicate the problems that I had on Friday and Saturday.

Oppo replied to my emails late last night. Rather than reply to them this morning, telling them that the player's working again, I decided to wait until I got home from work, just to be safe and try one more time.

Well, wouldn't you know it... I'm not getting a picture from HDMI again. So I called Oppo to talk to them rather than email them. The first thing that they had me try was to update the firmware to the beta version and reset to the factory settings. That didn't work. So, I called back and spoke with someone else. Using composite, he had me read him the video settings and had me try making some changes. But that didn't help. Then he asked me to connect the HDMI directly to the TV, bypassing the Onkyo receiver. That didn't do anything. Then, after talking to an engineer, he asked me to try it with a different TV. So I brought it to the bedroom TV and it worked.

Just to be safe, he then had me bring it back to the first TV and try it with the same cable that I used in the bedroom. But that didn't work. For some reason, it just won't sync up with my Mitsubishi (even though it worked with the Mitsubishi for nearly a month prior to having the problem, and then worked again on Sunday).

So, they're having me send it back to them to take a look at it. However, they're not particularly confident that they will be able to find the problem.

It may be the HDMI board in the Mitsubishi even though it is a new display. You may have already tried this but if you have something else you can connect to the display through HDMI and it doesn't work then you know it isn't the Oppo. I had some HDMI problems with my Mitsubishi display after only a month of ownership 2 years ago, bad board and a host of other problems that I received a replacement direct from Mitsubishi. Haven't had any HDMI handshake issues with my 73835 and Onkyo TX-NR905 with any other components.
post #21324 of 39352 Old 09-14-2009, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Brian,
Some of the older BDP-83 hardware (from back before public launch) has an MCU that's not reprogrammable. But after you did the 0905 firmware install you got the expected new version numbers showing for all three parts of the firmware in Setup > Device Setup > Firmware Information correct? So the installer properly determined that your MCU was OK to update.

I don't know what might be different about your particular unit. But if Oppo is already aware of a problem here, I'm sure they are on top of it.
--Bob

Bob,

Oppo wants me to follow these instructions, but when I turned the player upside down, I do not see a white tab. Facing the player upside down there is an arrow pointing to the right with a small opening but there is nothing there to slight. Bob, thank you for your help. This picture does not have the little arrow pointing to the right. Are there more than one type of design with the same inside?

http://vtbsd.net/bdp83/IMG_2620.JPG
Brian,

Disconnect the BDP-83 from all cables.

Turn the player upside down. At the front of the unit will be an opening. Slide the white tab in the opening all the way to the left. The tray will eject.

Turn the player rightside up. Pull the tray towards you. Give it a slight tug.

Reconnect the power cable direct to your walled power outlet, bypassing any switch, receiver, or power conditioner you are using.

Press Power. Does the tray recall?

Press Eject. Does it eject? Press Eject. Does it recall? Does it do it continuously over several presses?

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
post #21325 of 39352 Old 09-14-2009, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
I had that happen two times on my Mits 52628 and Pioneer Elite DV-59 AVI thru HDMI. I would get audio but no video. I would turn off both the Mits and DVD player and restart and all was fine. Only happened two times about 4 years ago and never happened again.

Panny 60VT60 Acurus 200x3
Pioneer Elite 05FD &51FD
2 Oppo 83's Pioneer Elite DV 59AVI
Paradigm SIg2 v3's & 490cc
Pioneer Elite SC61 SVS SB12NSD
2 S-VHS VCR's
post #21326 of 39352 Old 09-14-2009, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

In both cases, substantial.

Kal, is that recommendation based on "bits is bits" when sent via HDMI to the processor of your choice???
post #21327 of 39352 Old 09-14-2009, 07:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hef View Post

Kal, is that recommendation based on "bits is bits" when sent via HDMI to the processor of your choice???

Nope. Based on listening and on the appropriate choice of processor.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #21328 of 39352 Old 09-14-2009, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

PASTED FROM REVIEW:
"Sound quality improved when the supplied HDMI cable was replaced (surprising because the supplied cables worked so well with previous Oppos) and improved again when HDMI was bypassed and coaxial digital (where applicable) or the multi-channel analogue connections were used. The bottom end gained in impact and pace, the brightness was reduced. The sound was sweeter, more engaging and importantly, some of the lost goosebump factor was restored."

Can an HDMI cable affect the audio "sound quality" as described by this reviewer?
post #21329 of 39352 Old 09-14-2009, 08:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mactavish View Post

PASTED FROM REVIEW:
"Sound quality improved when the supplied HDMI cable was replaced (surprising because the supplied cables worked so well with previous Oppos) and improved again when HDMI was bypassed and coaxial digital (where applicable) or the multi-channel analogue connections were used. The bottom end gained in impact and pace, the brightness was reduced. The sound was sweeter, more engaging and importantly, some of the lost goosebump factor was restored."

Can an HDMI cable affect the audio "sound quality" as described by this reviewer?

No, and when you see statements like that in a "review", you should view the entire thing with considerable suspicion.
post #21330 of 39352 Old 09-14-2009, 08:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mactavish View Post

PASTED FROM REVIEW:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

No, and when you see statements like that in a "review", you should view the entire thing with considerable suspicion.

Then there are other statements like this one...

"Images had realistic size but were slightly forward and lacked body, enclosed in a dry-ish acoustic. The Oppo sounded flat and unsatisfying, aloof and lacking in toe-tapping pace."

WTF?!??! The reviewer seems to have no clue IMO.
I'm certainly no where near as knowledgeable as a lot of reviewers out there, but even I can see this particular reviewer it totally full of it.
I wonder if the people who write his paycheck know it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

Dude must not watch any Blu-rays in New Zealand I assume.

That was one of my impressions too. That the reviewer has no idea how to gauge the dynamics between lossy and lossless.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Oppo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page