Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #211 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I pulled the trigger and ordered my EAP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Nice to see someone from the OC got in on this!!

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
post #213 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshouse View Post

I was one of the lucky ones who got the 981HD from woot.com for around $105 about a year ago. Other than that, you are right...I've never seen OPPO's prices come down.

Woot.com was not an authorized reseller, and any and all units sold by Woot.com carry no warranty, implicit or implied.
post #214 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I haven't really read through all this yet cause I just got home, but I placed my order. Hopefully it will go out today or tomorrow the latest. (that just me talking don't know when it will go out)

Oh BTW tried ordering over phone today when I was on the road but I couldn't. I also asked if how many actually put in for the early program. I said was it like 200 or 300 hundred. He said he didn't have exact numbers but it was "in the 5 digits". !!! Seriously. . .I find this real hard to believe. Maybe it's true but I figured it was just all us and a few others that put in for it. I mean I never get picked for anything and out of a very large 10's of thousands I get picked. . . think about that one. Makes you want to play the lottery.

Now he could have been blowin' smoke up my *%^ also!

Jimi
post #215 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshouse View Post

I was one of the lucky ones who got the 981HD from woot.com for around $105 about a year ago.

That's actually how I first heard about OPPO. I didn't get in on time to order it, but I read the comments on Woot and got intrigued about this company that people were raving so much about. My research quickly lead me back here to AVS (where I was already a member), so I focused reading about them here for a while... which ultimately lead to me buying a 983.

"Your" isn't the same as "you're". "There", "their" and "they're" are also not the same. Please learn the difference.

And... it's "couldn't care less". Thank you. :)
post #216 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 01:38 PM

If the price is one cent over $499 when this unit is EVER released, then Oppo will have lost a long term customer. I've been with them since the beginning and still own two of their players but the way they handled the Early Adoption Program and beta testing really leaves me cold. I'll spend twice the amount of an Oppo to buy a competing Blu-Ray unit if the price is $499.01 or higher. Might even have a couple up for sale too.

Its getting to where all the technology in the world won't make up for the thinking and logic behind this unit's pre-release marketing. They are real close to the sort of place I just don't care to do business with.

Wally
--------------------
post #217 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Totally new remote, backlit, lots of buttons. There is a photo somewhere.

I don't know what that is but I'm going to say no.

-Bill

A button that will basically jump backward or fwd 10-30 secs for replay. Sort of like the replay and commercial skips on a tivo.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #218 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoaddikt View Post

They can raise them but not lower them?

The product is not officially released. The units you are buying are not technically the same units which will be officially sold at a later date.

As there is no official pricing, OPPO can do anything to the final price, which includes selling it at $599 (the top tier of their estimated price.

Quote:

I know they have lowered some prices in the past ...

There have only been two examples of the price changing, and both examples were not OPPO's main business. The first example was the LT2007/LT201 combo display/DVD player. The second example were the X9 and X11 MP3 players.

Refurbished units are not a price reduction, as you can't in good faith sell a refurbished unit for retail pricing.
post #219 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dart23 View Post

Why? Almost every other company out there adjusts their MSRP over the life cycle of a product. Not saying they should be like everyone else, but obviously lowering MSRP is done for a reason.

OPPO doesn't really create competing products. They may create a better version then discontinue the older one (OPDV971H replaced by DV-981HD; DV-970HD replaced by DV-980H; DV-983H replaced by BDP-83). Product cycles for OPPO players are also at least a year (unlike most CEs which manufacture products every 6 months).

As far as I know, OPPO does not have a distributor. They sell direct to everyone. This greatly limits the amount of stock just sitting somewhere that needs to be sold.

Quote:

... when it's actually probably not good business sense....

Tell that to their 4 years worth of business.
post #220 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post

He said he didn't have exact numbers but it was "in the 5 digits". !!! Seriously. . .I find this real hard to believe.

What are the chances that with over 10,000 names on the EAP list about 40% of the winners post here on AVS?

Someone mentioned about 500+ unique posters on this thread. So if 18 to 20 posters (about 40%) received an invitation then I would guess 1500-2000 where on the EAP list.

But what do I know?
post #221 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James W. Johnson View Post

Where is Oppo getting their customers from? It seems it could only be from AVS and other online forums . Ive never seen an Oppo commercial on TV.

OPPO gets all of their customers completely by word of mouth, favorable reviews, and limited advertising.
post #222 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 01:50 PM

Just checked my email and I'm in the first 50 EAP.

The problem is that I had given up on Oppo and bought a Sony BDP-S550 a few weeks back that I am very pleased with.

I do not care about SACD and DVD-A playback. I just want a good Blu-ray and DVD player. I have been ripping my CDs for years and putting them on my network so CD playback isn't really important to me either.

Any opinions??? What am I missing here??

Thanks
post #223 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They can raise them but not lower them? (introduction vs. production release)...

They can do whatever they want with their price, just like any other manufacturer. What we are saying is that they've never changed their MSRP on a player. The 971H was $199, the 970HD was $149, the 981HD is $229, the 980H is $169, the 983H was $399 - in each case, the price on day one remained true for the life of the player. They can always change their mind and do things differently in the future, but that's a pretty clear pattern dating back to late 2004.
Quote:

extreme form of 'b' stock....?

The woot sale was an unusual case, not a sale run through OPPO Digital. That's why I called it an "extreme" form of a b stock sale.
Quote:

....I am sure you will be able to get one at $500 within a year, brand new...whether from them or a retailer. Of course if they release them at $500 that would be a great price-point.

If (and this is a big if, since there's been no official decision announced yet) the official launch price is $599, history suggests that it will remain that way indefinitely. Of course, this could be the player that sees a change in procedure, but I wouldn't recommend anyone count on that. And as for retailers, they do not allow retailers to sell below MSRP. Companies can offer free shipping, but that's it.
Quote:

I know they have lowered some prices in the past, I don't remember the exact reason, could have been an 'extreme form' (whatever that is) of B stock. Agree, it was an exception not a rule.

Again, they have never changed the MSRP on a player. They have offered b stock on all of their players over the years, depending on availability, and that typically would save you something like $30.

gonk
Beta tester: BDP-83 / BDP-80
post #224 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twatkins521 View Post

The problem is that I had given up on Oppo and bought a Sony BDP-S550 a few weeks back that I am very pleased with.

I do not care about SACD and DVD-A playback. I just want a good Blu-ray and DVD player. I have been ripping my CDs for years and putting them on my network so CD playback isn't really important to me either.

Thanks

Personally, I think the Oppo will be a great player to aspire to..but if you just want good quality BD playback and decent up-conversion you could spend less money and be very happy. There are some excellent players out there.
I do think SACD/DVD-A are still a draw for many on these forums and nothing wrong with that.
post #225 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twatkins521 View Post

Thanks

You're asking the wrong crowd. I think I speak for all of us losers: Keep the Sony and let someone else get your spot
post #226 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

As far as I know, OPPO does not have a distributor. They sell direct to everyone.

I thought A****holics was one?

They still list several OPPO DVD players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TapOrSnap View Post

Someone mentioned about 500+ unique posters on this thread. So if 18 to 20 posters (about 40%) received an invitation then I would guess 1500-2000 where on the EAP list.

But what do I know?

That was the same math I did in this post.

"Your" isn't the same as "you're". "There", "their" and "they're" are also not the same. Please learn the difference.

And... it's "couldn't care less". Thank you. :)
post #227 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sremick View Post

That was the same math I did in this post.

I can't read and do math
post #228 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonk View Post

They can do whatever they want with their price, just like any other manufacturer.

I just said I remember some prices lowered, whether B stock, etc. I never said categorically they will lower it but inferred it as a possibility, considering today's economic climate I would not rule anything out.
post #229 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:

OPPO doesn't really create competing products. They may create a better version then discontinue the older one (OPDV971H replaced by DV-981HD; DV-970HD replaced by DV-980H; DV-983H replaced by BDP-83). Product cycles for OPPO players are also at least a year (unlike most CEs which manufacture products every 6 months).

As far as I know, OPPO does not have a distributor. They sell direct to everyone. This greatly limits the amount of stock just sitting somewhere that needs to be sold.

Tell that to their 4 years worth of business.

Well, who's to say they wouldn't have made more money if they did lower prices occasionally. Besides, GM's still in business, doesn't mean they know what they're doing...
post #230 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Early Adoption Program BDP-83 Blu-ray Lacks
  • Decoding of DVD-Audio. Will be updated through future firmware

Is this still a hope, or is it official that one day it will support DVD A?
post #231 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

The price listed is exclusively listed under the Early Adoption Program section, thereby:

Early Adoption Program = $499.

Official Price = $499 to $599.

I think the important thing is that OPPO prices the unit sufficiently high to cover all their expenses and investment, including research, and mods in response to the EAP and the Beta Tests. I think ultimately we all want them to succeed and to continue to bring new technology to the market, which means that they should set their prices at levels that will ensure that they can continue to achieve those goals in the future.

For example, if they have to price the 83 at $600, or even $700, I personally would be happy to accept such price levels if the unit performs as has been indicated and provides the audio performance that has been discussed. - On the other hand, putting pressure on them to cut prices for anyone who has signed up for the initial lottery would IMO be penny-wise and pound-foolish. They have to pay salaries, health insurance costs, payments to suppliers, marketing expenses, utilities, insurance, legal fees, rent/interest, research expenses, etc., like any other company.

- It's the long-range stability and prosperity of the company that's going to bring good technology to the market in the future, not cut-rate pricing deals for those of us who signed up for advance information. Put another way, if they went under due to price competition in these difficult economic conditions, do you think that Panny, Sony, Toshiba, Sanyo, etc., would pick up their R&D programs and provide new technology such as OPPO's for similar prices? I think not. -Which is why I'll be happy to pay $600 or $700 for this universal BD player. (Despite the fact that I have already paid several hundreds for a Tosh A35 HD-DVD which, realistically, is now substantially useless.)

In other words, get off their backs with the repeated requests for special deals and prices, and threats to go elsewhere if they don't meet your demands. - If you don't like their offer, you are certainly free to order a player from Panasonic, Sony, or Sanyo (and then to post your complaints on the Panny, Sony, Sanyo discussion boards.)

Jim Cate
post #232 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 02:14 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver View Post

Is this still a hope, or is it official that one day it will support DVD A?

It's officially in the plans. I don't expect the player to be released for general purchase until DVD-A is there.

-Bill
post #233 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sremick View Post

I thought A****holics was one [distributor]?

There is a distinction between reseller/retailer and distributor. A distributor is a third party which has a warehouse full of product. Resellers/retailers normally purchase their units from the distributor (who takes a part of the sale) for stock.

If OPPO deals direct with all their customers (including resellers/retailers and custom installers) then they directly control available stock and have a higher margin (ie. they can sell less units while making more money).

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ballentine View Post

I do see that Amazon sells OPPO.

Retailer/Reseller is not the same as a distributor. See above.
post #234 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As far as I know, OPPO does not have a distributor. They sell direct to everyone.

I do see that Amazon sells OPPO.
post #235 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

The product is not officially released. The units you are buying are not technically the same units which will be officially sold at a later date

Please explain the above. My understanding is only the firmware will change.
post #236 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Received my invitation about 15 minutes ago! I had assumed that I wasn't going to make and that all the emails went out yesterday.

Simply Awesome, I can't wait to get this setup, especially after Bob's details a few pages back.

BDP-83 EAP (first 50)
post #237 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 02:24 PM

For those who want OPPO to charge more then $599.00 please just send OPPO an extra check when placing your order for that extra amount. Not all of us are rolling in cash.

I think OPPO would rather sell 5,000 units at $499.00 then 2,000 units at $699.00
post #238 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by HT_n_Me View Post

If the price is one cent over $499 when this unit is EVER released, then Oppo will have lost a long term customer. I've been with them since the beginning and still own two of their players but the way they handled the Early Adoption Program and beta testing really leaves me cold. I'll spend twice the amount of an Oppo to buy a competing Blu-Ray unit if the price is $499.01 or higher. Might even have a couple up for sale too.

Its getting to where all the technology in the world won't make up for the thinking and logic behind this unit's pre-release marketing. They are real close to the sort of place I just don't care to do business with.

I wasn't a beta tested but what is wrong with how they handled it? The early adoption program was done by lottery what's wrong with that. How else would they have picked users. they prob just couldn't give them to anyone.

also were i would assume you didn't even sign up for the program cause if you didn't like how they handled beta testing then why give a chance to the early adoption program.

jimi
post #239 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

In other words, get off their backs with the repeated requests for special deals and prices, and threats to go elsewhere if they don't meet your demands. - If you don't like their offer, you are certainly free to order a player from Panasonic, Sony, or Sanyo (and then to post your complaints on the Panny, Sony, Sanyo discussion boards.)

Jim Cate

All they had to do is build it, test it and sell it. Yes, I would pay more for the right player (even theirs) but given their goofy logic behind this EAP, they set the price. If they go higher then they deserve to lose business - if thats a consequence. I've always been a fan of Oppo and recommended them to many but thats about to stop after watching this BDP-83 release unfold.

As far as all of us wanting them to succeed, I'm not in that boat. Technology will be driven by more companies than Oppo. I'll be glad to vote for them with my wallet if they treat customers fair - and that extends to equal pricing across the board. If they play favorites, then I vote with my wallet to go elsewhere. I'm fine with that.

Wally
--------------------
post #240 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobloblaw View Post

Received my invitation about 15 minutes ago! I had assumed that I wasn't going to make and that all the emails went out yesterday.

Simply Awesome, I can't wait to get this setup, especially after Bob's details a few pages back.

There must be somebody from last night who didn't want one.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Oppo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page