Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 820 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #24571 of 39409 Old 11-21-2009, 08:35 AM
cwt
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

Hi all:

I am looking for a demo source that has the following characteristics:

1. Wide dynamic range in amplitude and frequency where the lows go into the subsonics and the highs in the stratosphere. (classical?)

2. It should make my arms flare wildly and uncontrollably in the air at when the moment calls for it

3. Delicate sounds with excellent miking and imaging (possible)

3. The bass line(s) should have a driving pulsating rhythm able to disembowl the colon.

4. It must be musical and melodic

5. It must be musical and melodic and again,

6. It must be musical and melodic to the ear (please).

7. Able to move mind, body and spirit and them some!

Do such sources exist? I'm new to the SACD/DVD-Audio and BlueRay scene and wonder if the above can be had on one source disk, if not then a precious few.

David ; The Trondheime Solistene discs with lossless 24/192 multichannel in truehd;dts hdma and lpcm covers most of your criteria [and lets you listen/compare all the lossless codecs with one purchase ]

http://www.technofile.com/bluray/divertimenti.asp

I think I read that 5.1 hdma at a 24/192 bit rate /fs cant be decoded by the oppo as its very processor intensive but bitstreaming should be ok if your avr/pre pro can take it [my cary 11a has just been upgraded to handle it with the latest software thankfully].

Quote:
Enabled the decoder of dts HD-MA 192kHz 24bit 5.1ch

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24572 of 39409 Old 11-21-2009, 09:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwt View Post

David ; The Trondheime Solistene discs with lossless 24/192 multichannel in truehd;dts hdma and lpcm covers most of your criteria [and lets you listen/compare all the lossless codecs with one purchase ]

I think I read that 5.1 hdma at a 24/192 bit rate /fs cant be decoded by the oppo as its very processor intensive but bitstreaming should be ok if your avr/pre pro can take it [my cary 11a has just been upgraded to handle it with the latest software thankfully].

Yes, Divertimenti is a fantastic sounding set, with a wide range of dynamics.
I think the lower end isn't showcased heavily though, as with most classical music.
When someone asks for music the represents the entire spectrum of sound, I rarely would recommend classical music, since the extreme lower end is usually lacking a bit compared to other types of music. This is not a bad thing per se, just the nature of symphony music.

Of course the DTS HD/MA track is not the only 24/192 track on the Blu-ray disc. There is ALSO TrueHD and PCM on the disc in 24/192. Just as well, the set also comes with an SACD in 5.1 and stereo DSD.

As mentioned, the BDP-83 will not internally decode the 24/192 DTS HD/MA audio as 24/192, it will convert the 24/192 DTS track to 24/96 though. It will also decide PCM and TrueHD 24/192.

IF you can't find the high res track that suits your setup with the Trondheim Solistene Divertimenti set, then there's something wrong.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #24573 of 39409 Old 11-21-2009, 09:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

As mentioned, the BDP-83 will not internally decode the 24/192 DTS HD/MA audio,

It will, but down-res it to 24/96.
post #24574 of 39409 Old 11-21-2009, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jreganphd View Post

Sorry if already discussed. Will the remote have a digital volume set up that returns to 0 when the player is powered off? I would like to connect the 83se analogue outs directly to my amp. and avoid a preamp.
Thanks

It is possible to do that??? 4 or 8 ohms? interesting...

MikeSp

Pioneer Elite Kuro, McIntosh amplifiers -- MC501 monos (3) and MC352's (2), McIntosh MX150 pre-pro; Oppo 83SE; speakers -- Aerial Acoustics Model 9's for mains and CC5 for center, Def Tech BPVX/P's and BPVX's for surrounds and JL F113's (2) for subs; Roku 3; PS3; Wiii; Tivos; and Monster HTPS...
post #24575 of 39409 Old 11-21-2009, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Just dropouts. Very infrequent (perhaps 2 or 3 times during the movie, perhaps none at all). Very brief...

Perhaps I just didn't notice any...they may have happened during lack of concentration times!
Quote:
Originally Posted by phansson View Post

...Hey Jim, what processor/receiver are you using?

Denon 2809ci and simply cabled with HDMI for all audio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec325 View Post

You never had the SACD RK's either, did you?

None, even with the early firmware that was driving you crazy!
post #24576 of 39409 Old 11-21-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:

Not much of "3. The bass line(s) should have a driving pulsating rhythm able to disembowl the colon." on that one...
post #24577 of 39409 Old 11-21-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:

Just dropouts. Very infrequent (perhaps 2 or 3 times during the movie, perhaps none at all). Very brief (fraction of a second). Never repeatable if you replay the scene. Only happens if you use HDMI Bitstream.

Oppo is aware of this issue with "Star Trek" Blu-Ray and is working on it.

The workaround is to use HDMI LPCM when playing this disc.
--Bob

Seems to be a general problem worldwide. Reported the same issue with BD-B disc. No BD-B disc support since wrong region.
I do also have the same problem with a all region BD. Celine Dion: A new day, Live in Las Vegas. TrueHD bitstreaming. Anyone else?
post #24578 of 39409 Old 11-21-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:

When someone asks for music the represents the entire spectrum of sound, I rarely would recommend classical music, since the extreme lower end is usually lacking a bit compared to other types of music. This is not a bad thing per se, just the nature of symphony music.

Tchaikovsky's "1812" (Telarc DVD-A) and some Bach church organ music like "Toccata & Fugue in D minor" are good on low frequencies, but that is as you say usually not the case.

The already mentioned Nine Inch Nails or a DVD-A by Porcupine Tree would be good. For demonstrating bass songs from CD would be enough, like "Elektro Kardiogram" (Kraftwerk) or "Dancing with Khadaffi" (Infected Mushroom).
post #24579 of 39409 Old 11-21-2009, 10:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

It will, but down-res it to 24/96.

True. I forgot about that. Thanks.
(original post edited)

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
post #24580 of 39409 Old 11-21-2009, 12:24 PM

Would someone that has easy access to the power cord of their Oppo BDP-83 please measure the diameter of the cord. Is it approximately 7/32" or 11/32". While installing fans in my cabinet, the power cords for the Oppo and the SC-25 got put aside, and now I don't know which one is the Oppo cord, as they are interchangeable on the component end. TIA.
post #24581 of 39409 Old 11-21-2009, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

My caliber measures 0.3565 inch 9,05 mm
post #24582 of 39409 Old 11-21-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander_AVS View Post

My caliber measures 0.3565 inch 9,05 mm

Thank You for the quick reply, it is much appreciated.
post #24583 of 39409 Old 11-21-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannord View Post

Seems to be a general problem worldwide. Reported the same issue with BD-B disc. No BD-B disc support since wrong region.

I do also have the same problem with a all region BD. Celine Dion: A new day, Live in Las Vegas. TrueHD bitstreaming. Anyone else?

I do also have this disc BD sone B(Star Trek),no problem on my player with bitstream.

Regards
post #24584 of 39409 Old 11-21-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:

Hi all:

I am looking for a demo source that has the following characteristics:

1. Wide dynamic range in amplitude and frequency where the lows go into the subsonics and the highs in the stratosphere. (classical?)

2. It should make my arms flare wildly and uncontrollably in the air at when the moment calls for it

3. Delicate sounds with excellent miking and imaging (possible)

3. The bass line(s) should have a driving pulsating rhythm able to disembowl the colon.

4. It must be musical and melodic

5. It must be musical and melodic and again,

6. It must be musical and melodic to the ear (please).

7. Able to move mind, body and spirit and them some!

Do such sources exist? I'm new to the SACD/DVD-Audio and BlueRay scene and wonder if the above can be had on one source disk, if not then a precious few.

Your help is GREATLY appreciated!!!
Thanks,
David

Dark Side of the Moon.

Next question?

Quote:
SoundofMind:
My God man, he has a 1803!
post #24585 of 39409 Old 11-21-2009, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

You might not have enough DHCP clients on your router setup. If there are too many devices connected to your router already, it will not release DHCP information to a new device until you either increase the number of DHCP clients, you remove a client from the router, or the client expires (most routers are set to remove the client after 24 hours of inactivity).

Also, your router may have needed to be reset. It may have powered cycled without you knowing it. Power cycling your modem/router is usually one of the first things you should do when running into networking issues.

I've tried disconnecting all my devices except the Oppo. I unplugged my router/modem and Oppo. I waited a bit before plugging the router/modem back in and then waited a bit before plugging the Oppo back in. After doing so, the Network screen was populated, but the connection test failed.

Click here for pic of my 7.1 home theater system and here for pic of S2 surround wall mounting.

Click here for pic of my 2 channel system.

post #24586 of 39409 Old 11-21-2009, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfugh View Post

David

If you like Classical at all, give this a shot:

2L - the Nordic Sound: A sampler of some of 2L's listings

http://www.amazon.com/2L-Audiophile-...8813769&sr=1-1

It will fulfill all of your requirements

Mark

Thanks Mark...Yes, I do love classic music. Will get the disk from Amazon. Thanks again!

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #24587 of 39409 Old 11-21-2009, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

I wonder if Oppo added Netflix streaming how much their ABT chips would improve the quality of the video. I hate to add a Roku box and bypass the power of the video processing chips that the Oppo has.

Hal
post #24588 of 39409 Old 11-21-2009, 03:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommypeters View Post

Tchaikovsky's "1812" (Telarc DVD-A) and some Bach church organ music like "Toccata & Fugue in D minor" are good on low frequencies, but that is as you say usually not the case.

Aside from those almost obvious examples, there are many, many more. In fact, I prefer classical music in general and, in specific, to demonstrate low frequencies with wide dynamic range (as opposed to just loud).

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #24589 of 39409 Old 11-21-2009, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

dmusoke,

I agree that if you are hearing noises during playback that they should be reported to Oppo and shared with fellow forum for potential trouble shooting, but I also agree with fitzcaraldo215 that we shouldn't give it cute names like "RK". Just tell us what you are hearing.

Respectfully,
Willie

Willie...I apologoze if the RK terminology proved to be incorrect. They sound like loud ticks or pops in between tracks. This is what I got from Oppo yesterday:

Unfortunately this is normal for the BDP-83 and the BDP-83SE. We are working with our engineers to resolve these type of audio errors when playing SACD media and going to successive tracks.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #24590 of 39409 Old 11-21-2009, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks cwt...will get the disk. I hope the disk has the sunsonics to shift ones bowels !

post #24591 of 39409 Old 11-21-2009, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, Divertimenti is a fantastic sounding set, with a wide range of dynamics.
I think the lower end isn't showcased heavily though, as with most classical music.

Of course the DTS HD/MA track is not the only 24/192 track on the Blu-ray disc. There is ALSO TrueHD and PCM on the disc in 24/192. Just as well, the set also comes with an SACD in 5.1 and stereo DSD.

As mentioned, the BDP-83 will not internally decode the 24/192 DTS HD/MA audio as 24/192, it will convert the 24/192 DTS track to 24/96 though. It will also decide PCM and TrueHD 24/192.

IF you can't find the high res track that suits your setup with the Trondheim Solistene Divertimenti set, then there's something wrong.

Smarty:

I think I have the smooth highs covered with the samples provided so far from generous members of this forum. Now how about the gut-rattling subsonics? What would you recommend? I imagine audiophiles eher have serious subs in their AV setups thta reach below 20Hz without a sweat. What music do you play to take advantange of their lower end?

post #24592 of 39409 Old 11-21-2009, 05:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Smarty:

I think I have a smooth highs covered with the samples provided so far from generous members of this forum. Now how about the gut-rattling subsonics? What would you recommend? I imagine audiophiles eher have serious subs in their AV setups thta reach below 20Hz without a sweat. What music do you play to take advantange of their lower end?

There is only one kind of music that goes as low as you describe, and that's pipe organ music. There are a few good discs out there for such an experience, and with quality subs, will relocate your house fairly efficiently.
Here's one...

Bach: The Four Great Toccatas and Fugues
Available for purchase.................................................... .........................................................HERE

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #24593 of 39409 Old 11-21-2009, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quick question about secondary audio. I'm viewing the ROME BR and have chosen to listen to the commentary track. It does a downmix from DTS-HD to stereo, which I expected, but I still have Secondary Audio disabled in the settings. I would have assumed that I needed to enable this setting first, so I'm a little confused. Does this Secondary Audio setting pertain to something else, like PIP features?
post #24594 of 39409 Old 11-21-2009, 05:18 PM

Switched my stick drive to NTFS file system from FAT32. Placed 2 mkv files and one avi file on the drive. Put into slot on Oppo BPD-83 and it says NO DISC when I attempt to access it.

What gives? I tried to search here for anything similar - my "search-fu" must be weak if this has been discussed before.

What is strange is that on FAT32, my other stick drive can read the .avi file and play it. But not the same exact file on NTFS. However, the mkv files are like 4-6 GB in size, and even though my one stick drive is 16GB, it won't allow me to put the file on the drive if it is in FAT32 format, but will if it is NTFS (which is why I changed it) - but the mkv and avi files on the NTFS drive won't read from the Oppo.

WTF?
post #24595 of 39409 Old 11-21-2009, 05:28 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post

Switched my stick drive to NTFS file system from FAT32. Placed 2 mkv files and one avi file on the drive. Put into slot on Oppo BPD-83 and it says NO DISC when I attempt to access it.

What gives? I tried to search here for anything similar - my "search-fu" must be weak if this has been discussed before.

What is strange is that on FAT32, my other stick drive can read the .avi file and play it. But not the same exact file on NTFS. However, the mkv files are like 4-6 GB in size, and even though my one stick drive is 16GB, it won't allow me to put the file on the drive if it is in FAT32 format, but will if it is NTFS (which is why I changed it) - but the mkv and avi files on the NTFS drive won't read from the Oppo.

WTF?

The Oppo doesn't support NTFS... Search this thread for NTFS and I very much doubt you'll come up empty .
post #24596 of 39409 Old 11-21-2009, 05:38 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce73 View Post

Quick question about secondary audio. I'm viewing the ROME BR and have chosen to listen to the commentary track. It does a downmix from DTS-HD to stereo, which I expected, but I still have Secondary Audio disabled in the settings. I would have assumed that I needed to enable this setting first, so I'm a little confused. Does this Secondary Audio setting pertain to something else, like PIP features?

No Secondary Audio mixing is happening. The commentary track you are listening to is its own entirely separate stereo track -- just the way they do it on SD-DVD discs.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #24597 of 39409 Old 11-21-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

The Oppo doesn't support NTFS... Search this thread for NTFS and I very much doubt you'll come up empty .

Hmm - so I cannot put large GB files on my FAT32 stick drive and play them on the Oppo?

One other thing - the avi file plays fine on both FAT32 and NTFS drives on my computer, but glitches out on the Oppo on the FAT32 drive - weird.
post #24598 of 39409 Old 11-21-2009, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Banana View Post

Dark Side of the Moon.

Next question?

Cool! noted and in queue for purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Aside from those almost obvious examples, there are many, many more. In fact, I prefer classical music in general and, in specific, to demonstrate low frequencies with wide dynamic range (as opposed to just loud).

+1

Quote:

There is only one kind of music that goes as low as you describe, and that's pipe organ music. There are a few good discs out there for such an experience, and with quality subs, will relocate your house fairly efficiently.
Here's one...

Bach: The Four Great Toccatas and Fugues
Available for purchase.................................................... .........................................................HERE

Thanks Smarty....in list to buy

I'd also like to thank sac8d4 for his recommendations via PM...

post #24599 of 39409 Old 11-21-2009, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

No Secondary Audio mixing is happening. The commentary track you are listening to is its own entirely separate stereo track -- just the way they do it on SD-DVD discs.
--Bob

Oh, OK, got it. Thanks.
post #24600 of 39409 Old 11-21-2009, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by halsan40 View Post

I wonder if Oppo added Netflix streaming how much their ABT chips would improve the quality of the video. I hate to add a Roku box and bypass the power of the video processing chips that the Oppo has.

Because the netflix streaming is not as clean as playing from a 480i SD-DVD, you can't expect ABT video processing to work wonders, but I have no doubt it helps somewhat.

Of interest is the videos from the old Engadget's Netflix HD streaming shootout article last January on what to expect.

"it's important to note that Netflix streaming involves a pretty major tradeoff -- a huge part of the movie experience is sound, and Netflix doesn't offer any surround audio at all. You're stuck with stereo no matter what, and while we know Netflix is working it, stereo audio just doesn't cut it compared to the 7.1 and 5.1 surround we've become accustomed to."

Oppo Beta Group
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Oppo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page