Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 835 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 101Likes

post #25021 of 40064 Old 12-02-2009, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd_axel View Post

...it sure does confuse the issue if one isn't reading this thread from the beginning....

Hey, it's only 25,000 posts to go through!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25022 of 40064 Old 12-02-2009, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For me, it would be best to order direct from Oppo. My state charges tax through Amazon, so $16 ship is a no-brainer compared to $40 tax, plus it's a direct purchase from the manufacturer, and, a fresher build....

Oh yeah, the tax thing.
That saved me about $45. But that's just temporary, as being a good, honest, tax-payer, I will enter this purchase in my 'Use Tax' section, and pay it by April 15th.

shane

(for any IRS agents monitoring... shane is my full, only and real name)

"Yes Eve... I like to watch." - Chauncey Gardener.

My HT Setup:
http://www.fototime.com/A0E2793180FB3D0/orig.jpg
post #25023 of 40064 Old 12-02-2009, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

For me, it would be best to order direct from Oppo. My state charges tax through Amazon, so $16 ship is a no-brainer compared to $40 tax, plus it's a direct purchase from the manufacturer, and, a fresher build....

No sales tax from Amazon here in California. Although they tax the hell out of us for everythong else. As far as a fresher build from Oppo with the amount of business amazon does it could be the other way around.
post #25024 of 40064 Old 12-02-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane55 View Post

:d
oh yeah, the tax thing.
That saved me about $45. But that's just temporary, as being a good, honest, tax-payer, i will enter this purchase in my 'use tax' section, and pay it by april 15th.

shane

(for any irs agents monitoring... Shane is my full, only and real name)

lol.

"Not Enough Hours In A Day"
post #25025 of 40064 Old 12-02-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonscott View Post

No sales tax from Amazon here in California. As far as a fresher build from Oppo with the amount of business amazon does it could be the other way around.

Sad to say, it's just a matter of time with the tax issue there... Good point about turnaround via. Amazon orders!

post #25026 of 40064 Old 12-02-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Rox View Post

And I've been hearing good things about Coraline as well. Are the newer Pixar releases encoded with lossless audio?

Yes that one is very good as well, though the storyline is a bit on the "Dark" side. It's pretty cool with the 3D glasses too. And yes they are encoded with lossless DTS HD Master.

post #25027 of 40064 Old 12-02-2009, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I was watching "Taken" on Blue-ray last night and it started to freeze during chapter 11. Oppo says they have had no other complaints about "Taken". Any one else had a problem with this disk? I have the latest 0925 firmware installed.
post #25028 of 40064 Old 12-02-2009, 01:57 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorjam View Post

I was watching "Taken" on Blue-ray last night and it started to freeze during chapter 11. Oppo says they have had no other complaints about "Taken". Any one else had a problem with this disk? I have the latest 0925 firmware installed.

I had no problems and I remember a lot of people reviewing it on the OPPO without trouble.

Inspect the disc closely for bends or warps. Trying cleaning it extra good.

If nothing else, try this: What do I do if a Blu-ray disc will not load or play, or if it freezes the player?

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #25029 of 40064 Old 12-02-2009, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorjam View Post

I was watching "Taken" on Blue-ray last night and it started to freeze during chapter 11.

If it freezes as the same spots, then it is likely a disc issue. Replace the disc and see if the errors still present themselves or not.

I rented my copy from NetFlix several months back and did not have any issues.
post #25030 of 40064 Old 12-02-2009, 02:14 PM

Last night I played with the AIX Demo/Test disc that came with my Oppo BDP-83. Everything was fine until I played the test for DTS HD-Master Audio.

With the Oppo HDMI output set to bitstream, my Onkyo TX-NR807 would show DTS HD-MA but there was no sound coming out from the speakers.

Changing the HDMI output from bitstream to LPCM then the sound came out ok.

I then tried the Spears & Munsil test disc and it played the DTS HD-MA audio without any problems (both bitstream and LPCM)!

Could I have a defective AID Demo disc? Anyone else encountered similar problems?
post #25031 of 40064 Old 12-02-2009, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

If you are using a 5.1 configuration, this is normal. This test pattern was designed for a 7.1 configuration. Any other configuration will result in greatly attenuated audio. This is intentional and not a fault of the disc, the player, or the receiver.
post #25032 of 40064 Old 12-02-2009, 02:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macanudo View Post

Last night I played with the AIX Demo/Test disc that came with my Oppo BDP-83. Everything was fine until I played the test for DTS HD-Master Audio.

With the Oppo HDMI output set to bitstream, my Onkyo TX-NR807 would show DTS HD-MA but there was no sound coming out from the speakers.

Changing the HDMI output from bitstream to LPCM then the sound came out ok.

I then tried the Spears & Munsil test disc and it played the DTS HD-MA audio without any problems (both bitstream and LPCM)!

Could I have a defective AID Demo disc? Anyone else encountered similar problems?

Did you try turning off secondary audio?
post #25033 of 40064 Old 12-02-2009, 02:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

I had no problems and I remember a lot of people reviewing it on the OPPO without trouble.

Inspect the disc closely for bends or warps. Trying cleaning it extra good.

If nothing else, try this: What do I do if a Blu-ray disc will not load or play, or if it freezes the player?

-Bill

I see that the FAQ has no suggestions for boiling the disc.
Just an observation...

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #25034 of 40064 Old 12-02-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Did you try turning off secondary audio?

I do have a 5.1 setup and did not check the secondary audio status. I will check tonight when I get home! Thanks for the tip.

I am still puzzled why the Spears & Munsil disc works and the AIX does not. The music out of the AIX demo tracks is just awesome!

BTW, I found that in the 7.1 Dolby TrueHD tests, the surround back l/r channels come out of the opposite surround l/r speakers!
post #25035 of 40064 Old 12-02-2009, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

I am still puzzled why the Spears & Munsil disc works and the AIX does not. The music out of the AIX demo tracks is just awesome!

BTW, I found that in the 7.1 Dolby TrueHD tests, the surround back l/r channels come out of the opposite surround l/r speakers!

This may be a clue to your problem??

I went through all the AIX audio tests (I forget about the S&M ones) and everything came out the correct speaker, all formats etc. I was thorough.
post #25036 of 40064 Old 12-02-2009, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Any and all. For PQ, obviously, the newer ones will be better due to advancements in CG. UP and Wall-E are killer video references, but all Pixar releases so far have been reference quality. You really can't go wrong with your selection.

You know I would not recommend UP. Sure it is a video reference, but out of all the Pixar movies, it is very predictable and is a very sad movie (first 20 minutes are harsh for a "kids" movie).

Wall-E is a good choice.
post #25037 of 40064 Old 12-02-2009, 02:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHDTV? View Post

You know I would not recommend UP. Sure it is a video reference, but out of all the Pixar movies, it is very predictable and is a very sad movie (first 20 minutes are harsh for a "kids" movie).

Wall-E is a good choice.

Everyone has different opinions. This couldn't be more true than for music and movies.
While I really like the UP movie, I tend to agree with your assessment.
However, the OP did say it was to be watched by him/her and not for children.
I think the UP and Wall-E movies are the most adult oriented so far from the Pixar series.

As for PQ. Monsters Inc has a ton of extra detail to display that other movies do not.
As Neuromancer stated, all Pixar movies on BD are reference level presentations.
Just as well, most all animation on BD does as well.

My top two favorites BDs thus far for overall PQ (not to mention great AQ too), are Monsters Inc and Baraka.

Seeking out the "tier" threads for PQ and AQ in the BD software forum here on AVS will reveal many others with the same criteria.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
post #25038 of 40064 Old 12-02-2009, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

My top two favorites BDs thus far for overall PQ (not to mention great AQ too), are Monsters Inc and Baraka.

Totally agree re your Pixar choice, besides that I really like Monsters Inc. (haven't watched my Baraka yet...). The sound on MI is so much more lively than on Up. MI is funnier too. Up is very adult, lots of "deepness" that you may not want depending on your mood. No "deepness" in MI, just entertainment.
post #25039 of 40064 Old 12-02-2009, 03:09 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked: 1003
Quote:

I do have a 5.1 setup and did not check the secondary audio status. I will check tonight when I get home! Thanks for the tip.

I presume you are using HDMI Bitstream output from the Oppo.

You must have Secondary Audio OFF in the Oppo for these test tracks to work correctly.

On your TrueHD issue, double check that you have the surround speakers wired to the correct output jacks on your Onkyo.

The "Left" speakers (Left Front and Left Side) are the ones on your left as you face the TV screen.

The correct mapping for a 5.1 system should have the two rear channels steered to the side speaker on that same side.

If they are wired up correctly and you are getting the rear channels mapped to the side speaker on the opposite side, then that is a bug in your Onkyo.

--------------------------------------------------

On your DTS-HD MA issue, this is a problem in your Onkyo.

A DTS-HD MA track has embedded inside it a traditional, lossy, 5.1 DTS track for compatibility purposes. The full lossless audio is decoded by first decoding that "core" track and then adding in "extensions" to take care of the stuff that would otherwise be lost in that lossy core track.

So one possible flaw in a decoder is that it might mistakenly decode only the core track out of that bitstream. To check for that, the AIX 7.1 DTS-HD MA Channnel-ID track has flagged the lossy "core" DTS portion embedded in that track to play at very low volume -- 40dB or more down from normal.

So what's happening is that your Onkyo is receiving that 7.1 bitstream but only decoding the lossy core found in it. (If you turned the volume up enough you'd hear it -- don't forget to turn the volume back down again.)

The odds are, this is related to you telling the Onkyo you have a 5.1 speaker system. To check this, temporarily lie to the Onkyo and tell it you have a 7.1 speaker system -- even though no rear speakers are actually wired up.

When you play that AIX DTS-HD MA track again I bet you'll hear it at normal volume.

---------------------------------------

The 7.1 TrueHD track can't have that identical problem because its compatibility audio is actually on disc as a separate, "associated", DD5.1 track. So the problem of processing the wrong track in the Onkyo could only happen if the player itself was sending out the wrong track. To detect that, AIX has built the "associated" track to play a short voice message that your system is not set up correctly. If you'd like to hear that, turn on Secondary Audio in the Oppo and play that AIX 7.1 TrueHD Channel ID test track. Enabling secondary audio mixing forces the Oppo to use the compatibility "core" or "associated" track instead of the full lossless track.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #25040 of 40064 Old 12-02-2009, 03:14 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

If you are using a 5.1 configuration, this is normal. This test pattern was designed for a 7.1 configuration. Any other configuration will result in greatly attenuated audio. This is intentional and not a fault of the disc, the player, or the receiver.

There's still some argument about whether or not this is a flaw in the receiver or simply an optional "legal" method of doing this DTS decoding.

I continue to think it is a flaw in the receiver.

My Anthem Statement D2v decodes and plays that AIX 7.1 DTS-HD MA track bitstream just fine even though set to a 5.1 speaker configuration.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #25041 of 40064 Old 12-02-2009, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Rox View Post

Edit; Can anyone recommend a best first Pixar disc to get? (No kids, it's for me.)

Pixar, schmixar. Snow White, Pinocchio and Sleeping Beauty are out on Blu-Ray, and they look spectacular. First things first.
post #25042 of 40064 Old 12-02-2009, 03:54 PM

Hello,

I am curious if there is a way to output DTS-HD-MA and Dolby True via analog outputs while simultaneously outputting the core DTS and Dolby Digital track via HDMI.

My basement is hooked up via 5.1 Analog audio outputs and my living room upstairs is hooked up HDMI but my receiver does not support the new lossless audio codecs. I am using a HDMI matrix splitter to send signal to my projector in the basement and to my plasmas in the living room at the same time.

Right now if I play a movie with DTS-HD-MA and Secondary Audio is set to "Off" I get no audio from my receiver in the living room. If I set Secondary Audio to "On" I get DTS in the living room and I assume DTS core coming out of the analog connection in the basement. Instead I would like DTS-HD-MA to play out of the analog connections, and DTS to be played on my receiver in the living room.

I've had secondary audio set to "Off" ever since I played with the audio test disc and I too was getting the message about playing the Dolby Digital core track. Setting Secondary Audio to "Off" fixed that message.

Any thoughts?
post #25043 of 40064 Old 12-02-2009, 04:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnieman View Post

Hello,

I am curious if there is a way to output DTS-HD-MA and Dolby True via analog outputs while simultaneously outputting the core DTS and Dolby Digital track via HDMI.

My basement is hooked up via 5.1 Analog audio outputs and my living room upstairs is hooked up HDMI but my receiver does not support the new lossless audio codecs. I am using a HDMI matrix splitter to send signal to my projector in the basement and to my plasmas in the living room at the same time.

Right now if I play a movie with DTS-HD-MA and Secondary Audio is set to "Off" I get no audio from my receiver in the living room. If I set Secondary Audio to "On" I get DTS in the living room and I assume DTS core coming out of the analog connection in the basement. Instead I would like DTS-HD-MA to play out of the analog connections, and DTS to be played on my receiver in the living room.

I've had secondary audio set to "Off" ever since I played with the audio test disc and I too was getting the message about playing the Dolby Digital core track. Setting Secondary Audio to "Off" fixed that message.

Any thoughts?

You should run a digital coax or optical cable from the BDP-83 to the AVR in the LR to get the core audio.
With the player outputting lossless, I think that would be the only way to have your cake and eat it too.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #25044 of 40064 Old 12-02-2009, 04:13 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnieman View Post

Hello,

Any thoughts?

First of all, if your receiver supports high-bandwidth multi-channel HDMI LPCM input you can get the full lossless audio into it by setting HDMI Audio LPCM in the Oppo.

Many HDMI receivers which are not capable of decoding the lossless tracks can still play them at full quality if the player does the decoding to LPCM -- which the Oppo will do when set to HDMI LPCM output.

It's also possible that your splitter is what's actually preventing the lossless audio from being sent to your receiver. Try hooking up without the splitter and see if you now get the audio to the receiver. If so, you may need a better quality splitter -- one that supports passing along the high bandwidth audio formats.

---------------------------------------------

But if your receiver is truly not able to handle high-bandwidth, multi-channel HDMI LPCM input (much less decode the lossless tracks input as HDMI Bitstream), the easiest way to get what you want is probably to stop trying to use HDMI audio and instead run an Optical/Coax Digital audio cable to your receiver.

The audio on the Optical/Coax cable will always be the compatibility audio track. Meanwhile, with Secondary Audio OFF, the analog outputs will get a decode of the full lossless track.

Set HDMI Audio to OFF in the Oppo and set your receiver to expect audio on that Optical/Coax input. Set Secondary Audio OFF. Set the Optical/Coax output to Bitstream.
--Bob

post #25045 of 40064 Old 12-02-2009, 04:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^Tru dat Bob. I forgot about the 'LPCM over HDMI' factor.
Being that he did not provide the model numer of the AVR, it's impossible to tell if that method would work.
You have covered all the bases though.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #25046 of 40064 Old 12-02-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewintoronto View Post

Let me know if this isn't an appropriate post for this section...

I found the thread/posts on this forum with the link to the region-free firmware hack and I have a few questions:

The posts and link are from June 2009, and they mention that the hack works with firmware 601.

Is this hack compatible with the latest Oppo firmware (Sept 30, 2009), or is there a more recent region-free firmware hack? If so, could someone kindly point me in the direction of this download?

Also, has anyone tried this hack, and are there any downsides to installing it?

thanks in advance,
Drew

Quote:

You are better off seeking a hardware modification.

Do It Yourself Region & Zone Kit to the USA & Canada
http://www.crtprojectors.co.uk/region_free_bpd-83.htm
post #25047 of 40064 Old 12-02-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

You should run a digital coax or optical cable from the BDP-83 to the AVR in the LR to get the core audio.
With the player outputting lossless, I think that would be the only way to have your cake and eat it too.

Digital coax worked like a charm! Thanks =)

Luckily I already had an unused coax cable run from the basement to my living room which I used before I got an HDMI splitter with optical and coax output. So now I have my Satellite and Popcorn Hour sending audio over HDMI (Dolby Digital/DTS only of course) and the Oppo is sent using digital coax straight into the receiver.

To Bob: my receiver does not support HDMI at all actually. Here's how my system works...

4 components
1. Dish Network HD DVR
2. Oppo BDP-83
3. Popcorn Hour C-200
4. Computer (haven't used it since I got the Popcorn Hour)

Connected to HDMI 4x2 matrix (Monoprice item: 5312)
Output A is sent to my projector in the basement
Output B is sent to another HDMI switcher in the living room

The HDMI switcher in the living room (Monoprice item: 5557) is capable of stripping Dolby Digital, DTS, and PCM bitstreams from HDMI and outputting them via Optical bitstream, Coax bitstream, or Analog down converted stereo.
I am only using 1 input on this switcher for the sole purpose of stripping the bitstream since it is illegal for TVs to pass Dolby Digital or DTS 5.1 bitstreams to your receiver or any other device for that matter. I then have the output from the switcher going into my plasma. The switcher also sends audio to the TV simultaneously (not that I need it anymore). I then have an optical cable going from the HDMI switcher in the living room to my Denon receiver for full Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 bitstream capabilties.

Audio in the basement is much more straight forward. Satellite is hooked up optical direct to my pre/pro, Oppo is hooked up via 5.1 analog outputs direct to my pre/pro, and the Popcorn Hour is hooked up coax direct to my pro/pro.

*phew. Hope you followed all that! I thought I would post it in case anyone else is interested in a similar home distribution network.

The only other problem I ran into was I was only getting 2 channel PCM from my audio capable HDMI switcher from all components when I had the living room hooked up as Output A. Switching to Output B miraculously fixed the problem... I still don't understand that part of it.

Cheers!
post #25048 of 40064 Old 12-02-2009, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

There's still some argument about whether or not this is a flaw in the receiver or simply an optional "legal" method of doing this DTS decoding.

Easier to say it is normal than to have to always explain the situation. Sorta like how saying optical or digital coaxial can only do 2.0 PCM.
post #25049 of 40064 Old 12-02-2009, 05:27 PM

Is there a technical reason the Oppo BDP-83 can not read the NTFS file system? Is it that hard to actually implement?
post #25050 of 40064 Old 12-02-2009, 05:35 PM
amt

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebellion View Post

Is there a technical reason the Oppo BDP-83 can not read the NTFS file system? Is it that hard to actually implement?

Probably because licensing costs are not worth it.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player