Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 895 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #26821 of 39473 Old 01-04-2010, 01:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

My limit for 6 foot cables is what ever Monoprice is charging for their 28AWG HDMI 1.3a Category 2 Certified Male to Male Cables which is $4.08 plus shipping. So far the first couple of dozen have worked.

That is great !! and not at least good for you !!!

I personally would not buy a 4 buck cable, last year I think I have been to 5 or 6 cable manufactures in China and there is no problem to get a 6 foot cable for around 1 USD, but then again you get what you pay for...
Think about it, Monoprice will at least have a 1-1.50 USD profit, then you have shipping costs from China to USA, then the poor guy that makes it will have some and the factory will need a small profit, whatever that is left will go into materials and quality checking....

But I have also seen guys using 3-400 USD on a 6 foot cable and that is money out the window

Home cinema,Model trains,Honda Motorcycles,Ural Military trucks,pinballs and Coca cola bottles,What is your hobby ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26822 of 39473 Old 01-04-2010, 03:26 AM

Has somebody compared the soundquality of SPDIF (optical) vs. HDMI connection?

I know that for Digital HD it is necessary to use HDMI. I have read that the progress of Digital HD is subtle compared to Dolby Digital. Right? I ask whether I shall go for a used receiver with or without HDMI. For the the same or lower price I can get a better amp quality with the old Dolby Digital generation as for the actual receiver generation with Digital HD.

Beamer and TV are connected directly via HDMI splitter. The Oppo makes already a very good video quality. Why should I go with the video signal by a receiver? The only thing which is clear that I don´t need an extra digital cable for sound if I use HDMI for the transport of sound and video.

Or is it better to use the analog outs of Oppo to feed the receiver respectively multichannel amp?

Ruediger
post #26823 of 39473 Old 01-04-2010, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macanudo View Post

I wonder why it's mostly installers who are experiencing problems?

Probably because installers put in long runs in a regular basis, while most consumers rely on shorter runs. And technically a 50' run is right at the limit of the standard (15 meters). Installers will often run longer than that - up to 100' or more. At those lengths, you are forced to cheat the standard by upping wire size and buying cables that were tested at the factory to find any minor soldering defects that might be enough to kill things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macanudo View Post

My recommendation, buy from a reputable dealer who will stand by their product!

I agree entirely.

gonk
Beta tester:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #26824 of 39473 Old 01-04-2010, 05:07 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffen68 View Post

but then again you get what you pay for...
Think about it, Monoprice

Well, not according to these tests performed by Audioholics. The Monoprice cables performed every bit as well as the more expensive cables and much better than some of the stupidly expensive "boutique" cables that were rubbish. The biggest factor was not cable source but cable length.
post #26825 of 39473 Old 01-04-2010, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picasso Moon View Post

Well, not according to these tests performed by Audioholics. The Monoprice cables performed every bit as well as the more expensive cables and much better than some of the stupidly expensive "boutique" cables that were rubbish. The biggest factor was not cable source but cable length.

Seeing how I have about a 30 ft. in-wall run, 3 ft. to my receiver, 2 ft. to each source, and 1.5 ft. from wall to projector, all using Monoprice HDMI cables that cost me a total of about $70 shipped... and seeing how I've never had a single issue with degradation or dropouts over that length without using a signal amp... people would be fools not to trust them for a short length of cable. I'm running the 22 gauge for the in-wall to the wall plates, 24 gauge to each source and receiver, and a very short 28 gauge from wall to projector with one of their angled HDMI port savers. Forget the price - those suckers are well made and totally solid.

"Never believe any quote you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
post #26826 of 39473 Old 01-04-2010, 05:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Have we about covered HDMI cables yet?
post #26827 of 39473 Old 01-04-2010, 05:49 AM

And again.. That is great !!! I am really happy that you have found a cable that works !! Nothing is better than that

Just try to plug it in and out 40-50 times, does it still work ?

But really, I do not care and I am not posting in this tread to talk about HDMI cables.

I just want to know why my Hellboy 2 BDdisk does not send a HD 7.1 signal to my receiver over LPCM when my old PS3 does.

And I wonder what Oppo is going to do about it

Home cinema,Model trains,Honda Motorcycles,Ural Military trucks,pinballs and Coca cola bottles,What is your hobby ?
post #26828 of 39473 Old 01-04-2010, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Have we about covered HDMI cables yet?

YES we have

post #26829 of 39473 Old 01-04-2010, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hello. Just received my new Oppo BDP-83 SE with HD-SDI mod from JVB Digital. According to JVB it is okey to install firmware from Oppo, so I went ahead and installed the Beta firmware. But having done that, I discovered I was only able to view 480i/576i from the HD-SDI output, not 1080i or Source Direct anymore because of a lot of green color in the picture. With HDMI everything seems to be just fine.I have set the Color space in the BD in the Oppo to 4:2:2.

I went back to the official firmware to give that a try again, but still did not get HD resolutions from the HD-SDI output to work anymore (green color!). I have a Crystalio II 3800 and a Sony VW100. I have tried a lot of different settings, but can only use the HD-SDI output to send a SD-SDI signal at the moment.

I have sent an email to JVB, but has not got any answer yet. Anyone who has an idea of what could be wrong here?
post #26830 of 39473 Old 01-04-2010, 06:25 AM

Quote:

I just want to know why my Hellboy 2 BDdisk does not send a HD 7.1 signal to my receiver over LPCM when my old PS3 does.

And I wonder what Oppo is going to do about it

Are you sure it's Oppo's problem and not your receiver? I don't have the HellBoy 2 BD, but had a similar problem with Pan's Labyrinth only showing a 5.1 source when it should be 7.1 (the only track on the disc) on my Denon AVR-988 (similar to 2808). It was a known bug with the Denons and after I applied the patch to my receiver, it comes through correctly as 7.1 now. I don't remember the explanation why it occured, maybe jdsmoothie does.

post #26831 of 39473 Old 01-04-2010, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchPope View Post

Are you sure it's Oppo's problem and not your receiver? I don't have the HellBoy 2 BD, but had a similar problem with Pan's Labyrinth only showing a 5.1 source when it should be 7.1 (the only track on the disc) on my Denon AVR-988 (similar to 2808). It was a known bug with the Denons and after I applied the patch to my receiver, it comes through correctly as 7.1 now. I don't remember the explanation why it occured, maybe jdsmoothie does.

Pretty sure yes, as 7.1 is not even an option in the Oppo menu, it looks like it can not find the 7.1 track at all.

I only have 5-6 7.1 BDdisc's and all of the others works fine when I use them in the Oppo, but Hellboy... Nope

post #26832 of 39473 Old 01-04-2010, 06:33 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizziness View Post

The icon next to the file in the Oppo browser is PCM. Ironically, if you set your transcode to WAV, the icon is for WAV but the audio won't play. At least, it didn't before.

Perhaps hi-res audio will work in a VOB container. Now to try to convince TVersity to mux on the fly.

Now that's interesting.

I had never tried .pcm files before and did not know the player would recognize them. I am experimenting with USB before trying DLNA and, as you say, the files show in the browser.

I have generated a variety of PCM files with ffmpeg and none of them play. Do you have any details on how TVersity is transcoding these? Any script or settings info on what type of PCM it is producing?

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #26833 of 39473 Old 01-04-2010, 06:50 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armand07 View Post

Hello. Just received my new Oppo BDP-83 SE with HD-SDI mod from JVB Digital. According to JVB it is okey to install firmware from Oppo, so I went ahead and installed the Beta firmware. But having done that, I discovered I was only able to view 480i/576i from the HD-SDI output, not 1080i or Source Direct anymore because of a lot of green color in the picture. With HDMI everything seems to be just fine.I have set the Color space in the BD in the Oppo to 4:2:2.

I went back to the official firmware to give that a try again, but still did not get HD resolutions from the HD-SDI output to work anymore (green color!). I have a Crystalio II 3800 and a Sony VW100. I have tried a lot of different settings, but can only use the HD-SDI output to send a SD-SDI signal at the moment.

I have sent an email to JVB, but has not got any answer yet. Anyone who has an idea of what could be wrong here?

I recall only one other person with an SDI mod and he was having trouble too. OPPO was trying to help him, but I think whoever made the mod will have to be made to support it.

Try searching this thread for SDI.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #26834 of 39473 Old 01-04-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

I recall only one other person with an SDI mod and he was having trouble too. OPPO was trying to help him, but I think whoever made the mod will have to be made to support it.

Try searching this thread for SDI.

-Bill

Finally, I have made HD-SDI working again. It seems to be firmware related. I succeeded loading the old firmware version and now have 1080i on HD-SDI. What a stunning picture, btw! I think I got an error in my previous attempt to install the firmware. Seems to me that it is important to power off the unit completely before starting it with the new firmware.

But reinstalling the beta firmware results in the same all-green picture.

I wonder if it is possible to mix some of the files from different versions or do they have to go together as released by Oppo?
post #26835 of 39473 Old 01-04-2010, 08:47 AM
cwt
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

Pretty sure yes, as 7.1 is not even an option in the Oppo menu, it looks like it can not find the 7.1 track at all.

I only have 5-6 7.1 BDdisc's and all of the others works fine when I use them in the Oppo, but Hellboy... Nope

I dont know if this is to do with hdmi remapping Loffen [ but lean that way] ; consequently this is what happened when I fed Hellboy 2 into my cary 11a as pcm . It came up as pcm 5.1 and I had no problem applying PL2X or ces7.1 to it ;which is impossible if it were 7.1 . Can you apply a back matrix to yours at all ? If the oppo is folding the back surrounds of the disc into the l/r surrounds its your best bet atm

When I hit display the oppo read pcm 5.1 . When I set the oppo for bitstream as expected it read dts hdma 3/4.1 48hz so not of great consequence to most. Also tried The golden compass and the cary posted pcm 7.1 so its the disc not the oppo . I would inform oppo and see what they say mate
post #26836 of 39473 Old 01-04-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kincaid View Post

AVI is not a supported media format for streaming, unfortunately.

The supported file types are limited:
  • jpg
  • mkv
  • mp3
  • mpg
  • png
  • vob

Personally, I prefer Twonky but I'm using TVersity for transcoding and streaming my older Xvid content to my BDP-83 at the other end of the building. Twonky handles streaming my MKV, VOB, MPG, and MP3 media flawlessly. For the time being I'm stuck using both Twonky and TVersity.

Is it possible to stream audio and video from internet sites by using Tversity or Twonky with new beta firmware.
post #26837 of 39473 Old 01-04-2010, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruediger View Post

I know that for Digital HD it is necessary to use HDMI. I have read that the progress of Digital HD is subtle compared to Dolby Digital. Right? I ask whether I shall go for a used receiver with or without HDMI. For the the same or lower price I can get a better amp quality with the old Dolby Digital generation as for the actual receiver generation with Digital HD.

Beamer and TV are connected directly via HDMI splitter. The Oppo makes already a very good video quality. Why should I go with the video signal by a receiver? The only thing which is clear that I don´t need an extra digital cable for sound if I use HDMI for the transport of sound and video.

Or is it better to use the analog outs of Oppo to feed the receiver respectively multichannel amp?

Ruediger

Great questions which are of much interest to me as an AV noob I'm waiting with bated breath for any informative responses. I don't have audiophile ears or a high end set up and so I often wonder if these new codecs are really all that they are said to be.

Denon X4000: Yamaha AS500;TS500;CDS300: Pioneer BDP62FD;BDP23FD;DV58AV;DV610: Panasonic DMP-BDT500; Sony BDP-S790; Samsung PS60E6500
post #26838 of 39473 Old 01-04-2010, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Pretty sure yes, as 7.1 is not even an option in the Oppo menu....

This would not be the first time that the cover art stated one thing, and the disc contained something else. I have found wrong nomenclature for both sound and for aspect ratio on Blu-ray packaging.
post #26839 of 39473 Old 01-04-2010, 10:31 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armand07 View Post

I wonder if it is possible to mix some of the files from different versions or do they have to go together as released by Oppo?

Do not mix the firmware files.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #26840 of 39473 Old 01-04-2010, 10:33 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by amert20 View Post

Is it possible to stream audio and video from internet sites by using Tversity or Twonky with new beta firmware.

The resulting stream would have to appear as one of the supported file types. I forget if any here has reported doing that.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #26841 of 39473 Old 01-04-2010, 10:48 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by amert20 View Post

I started playing with Tversity last night - this issue is this: each media player can or can't play file types, and Tversity knows this based on using a media player "profile". Currently, it doesn't list the Oppo player as a profile - one such profile appeared earlier in this thread but for some reason I couldn't get it to show up. The trick is to get the Oppo to display the AVI files in order to take advantage of Tversity's transcoding (re-encoding on-the-fly). I was able to transcode a 720p MKV file (into a lower resolution) to the Oppo and watch it , but it was kinda rough - I didn't have time last night to play around and get it working.

In terms of internet content, I'm hoping to have Tversity automatically re-encode/transcode downloaded content until Oppo starts supporting AVI or different Transcoding software. Tversity works by setting aside a massive chunk of hard drive space to download things to, based on what you subscribe to (for example, the Charlie Rose show or ESPN), so it seems like it should work. So you technically don't stream from sites directly - you get a file and then stream it from your computer to the Oppo.
post #26842 of 39473 Old 01-04-2010, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by martmann View Post

The paragraph I have emboldened is a pretty big pile of BS. I have owned many 'mainstream' (read cheap) CD players that can cue in pause mode. I have never seen or heard of any CD Player, no matter how cheap, that could not do this, in fact I have a Phillips DVD player I bought (last year) for $19 that does this no problem.

Also I don't play CDs on my Oppo, I play SACDs, and I was under the impression that this was supposed to be a quality SACD player (and it is very good, except for this one simple (yup, I said simple) issue).

THERE IS NO BUFFERING NEEDED, if you can 'GOTO' a track and have it play from the beginning (which I can do), you simply need to goto that track and pause at the beginning (what needs to go to a buffer?), but this can't be done on this player.

All-in-all, I am still happy with this player, don't confuse my calling BS on this issue, with complete dissatisfaction with the product. If this were any other player, I wouldn't even expect a BS answer from the mfr.

This is a basic function that only Oppo feels is unnecessary, in my opinion they are wrong.

I am assuming that the truncation at the beginning of an SACD has it's root cause in the HDCP handshake timing, as it only truncates at the start of the disc, if I let the first track play a bit, then hit PREV, it starts from the first note, every time. I am actually OK with this, believe it or not, but it would be nice if it didn't happen, maybe if Oppo did some buffering hahahahahaha.

It seems Oppo may be worried that implementing CD/SACD/DVDAudio track cueing with Pause enabled might confuse "lower common denominator" customers. (see below)

I'm not sure why because I swear that every audio disc player I have ever seen has had this basic functionality, not just high-end "audiophile" players.

You're correct martmann, we are not talking about buffer memory here, just basic Pause functionality.

To be clear, I love my 83 and wouldn't trade it for anything, but I do use it about 50% for CD/SACD/DVDAudio playback and really do miss being able to cue up a track. Adding this may also help with the HDCP issue where the first second is muted. Not sure exactly why that happens though, so maybe not.

Here's the (prompt!) reply I got from Oppo this morning:

"There is no way to queue a track and have the player remain in a paused state. This has been requested on multiple occasions but never implemented into the firmware of the player. Although our players have been selling to the high-end audiophile, most of our sales is still standard, lower common denominator customers. For this reason, many of the functionality audiophiles are used to are not a part of the design of the BDP-83/SE.

We have not excluded this feature request from ever being implemented in a firmware release, but at this time we do not have any plans on allowing for track queuing without the immediate playback of the track."

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
Service@oppodigital.com

--M--
post #26843 of 39473 Old 01-04-2010, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not at length, mostly because the optical can't carry the lossless audio tracks - makes for an unfair comparison on Blu-ray.

Quote:

Ruediger

I would say that the lossless formats (TrueHD, DTS-HD MA, and PCM) offer the potential for more than merely subtle improvement. Like anything, it depends on the quality of the source material and mastering itself. If you have a receiver that lacks HDMI audio support, I would recommend connecting the multichannel analog output from the player to the receiver. The video can do whatever is most convenient at that point, and since you are using HDMI you will get the benefit of the ABT processor.

gonk
Beta tester:
/
post #26844 of 39473 Old 01-04-2010, 11:00 AM

Just sent this Email to Oppo:

"I have recently received my Oppo BDP-83 SE player modded with HD-SDI (done by JVB Digital). I have discovered that the HD-SDI output does not work properly with your Beta firmware (BDP83-48-1218B) so I wanted to inform you about this in case you didn´t know.

I have tested with both the firmware versions available on your Web site (v. BDP83-40-0925 and v. BDP83-48-1218B) back and forth several times. Every time I have the same results:
the HD-SDI output only produces a nice and good picture when your latest official firmware (BDP83-40-0925) is applied. With the Beta firmware the HD-SDI output produces a lot of green color all over the picture. Only exception is for 480i/576i resolution. That also works nice from the HD-SDI output together with your Beta firmware, but that resolution is SD-SDI only and not HD-SDI.

I live in Europe and have a 2.35 setup and really appreciate the new subtitle shift function in the Beta firmware. So I hope you will have a firmware available soon that gives me the opportunity to see BD movies with HD-SDI and also have the possibility to shift subtitles.

Thank you. I really appreciate the product and think you have done a great job so far!"

Really hope Oppo will fix this soon.
post #26845 of 39473 Old 01-04-2010, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyM View Post

It seems Oppo may be worried that implementing CD/SACD/DVDAudio track cueing with Pause enabled might confuse "lower common denominator" customers. (see below)

I'm not sure why because I swear that every audio disc player I have ever seen has had this basic functionality, not just high-end "audiophile" players.

You're correct martmann, we are not talking about buffer memory here, just basic Pause functionality.

To be clear, I love my 83 and wouldn't trade it for anything, but I do use it about 50% for CD/SACD/DVDAudio playback and really do miss being able to cue up a track. Adding this may also help with the HDCP issue where the first second is muted. Not sure exactly why that happens though, so maybe not.

Here's the (prompt!) reply I got from Oppo this morning:

"There is no way to queue a track and have the player remain in a paused state. This has been requested on multiple occasions but never implemented into the firmware of the player. Although our players have been selling to the high-end audiophile, most of our sales is still standard, lower common denominator customers. For this reason, many of the functionality audiophiles are used to are not a part of the design of the BDP-83/SE.

We have not excluded this feature request from ever being implemented in a firmware release, but at this time we do not have any plans on allowing for track queuing without the immediate playback of the track."

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
Service@oppodigital.com

--M--

Thanks for posting Oppo's response, hopefully that will end the debates and complaints in this forum until the next newbie joins and does not read the earlier posts. Of course complaints/requests should be sent to Oppo directly, as I am doing, as I would like to see the cue/pause issue solved in a future firmware update, since I use the Oppo right now, more for music disc playback myself, and it is a bit of a pain as noted already, by many. Thanks again, and glad to see Oppo itself is well aware of the "many" requests, the more the merrier!
post #26846 of 39473 Old 01-04-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Now that's interesting.

I had never tried .pcm files before and did not know the player would recognize them. I am experimenting with USB before trying DLNA and, as you say, the files show in the browser.

I have generated a variety of PCM files with ffmpeg and none of them play. Do you have any details on how TVersity is transcoding these? Any script or settings info on what type of PCM it is producing?

-Bill

In TVersity, they offer LPCM and L16 as MIME types. LPCM doesn't play but shows in the browser. I think L16 is little-endian but I could be wrong. LPCM is required for DLNA certification.

Having accomplished the feats required in Windows, I'm back to trying to configure a Mac solution. Twonkymedia (or Mediatomb) seems the best bet. Currently I almost have the profile created for proper file types. Then I will work on transcoding scripts. Since FFmpeg can remux to MKV, I'm hoping to remux all appropriate video (esp. Mpeg4 AVI) to MKV. Secondly, I will try to remux AAC into MKV or VOB containers. Finally, I hope to transcode 24-bit Hi-res FLAC into a playable container for audio. With the full scripting ability of transcodes, this is completely doable I think.

post #26847 of 39473 Old 01-04-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:

In terms of internet content, I'm hoping to have Tversity automatically re-encode/transcode downloaded content until Oppo starts supporting AVI or different Transcoding software. Tversity works by setting aside a massive chunk of hard drive space to download things to, based on what you subscribe to (for example, the Charlie Rose show or ESPN), so it seems like it should work. So you technically don't stream from sites directly - you get a file and then stream it from your computer to the Oppo.

I was able to stream/transcode content from Hulu and Youtube via TVersity once the device profile was added properly and configured.

post #26848 of 39473 Old 01-04-2010, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonk View Post

I would say that the lossless formats (TrueHD, DTS-HD MA, and PCM) offer the potential for more than merely subtle improvement. Like anything, it depends on the quality of the source material and mastering itself. If you have a receiver that lacks HDMI audio support, I would recommend connecting the multichannel analog output from the player to the receiver. The video can do whatever is most convenient at that point, and since you are using HDMI you will get the benefit of the ABT processor.

Allowing for your important caveat about the quality of the source material, we also find that the lossless HD audio almost always offers significant improvement- not subtle at all. I really think it usually provides at least an equivalent upgrade to audio that blu-ray does for video.
post #26849 of 39473 Old 01-04-2010, 11:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:

In TVersity, they offer LPCM and L16 as MIME types. LPCM doesn't play but shows in the browser. I think L16 is little-endian but I could be wrong. LPCM is required for DLNA certification.

Having accomplished the feats required in Windows, I'm back to trying to configure a Mac solution. Twonkymedia (or Mediatomb) seems the best bet. Currently I almost have the profile created for proper file types. Then I will work on transcoding scripts. Since FFmpeg can remux to MKV, I'm hoping to remux all appropriate video (esp. Mpeg4 AVI) to MKV. Secondly, I will try to remux AAC into MKV or VOB containers. Finally, I hope to transcode 24-bit Hi-res FLAC into a playable container for audio. With the full scripting ability of transcodes, this is completely doable I think.

Last we heard, high-res LPCM was working in an MKV container.
post #26850 of 39473 Old 01-04-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:

I was able to stream/transcode content from Hulu and Youtube via TVersity once the device profile was added properly and configured.

was this the profile from earlier in the thread? I wasn't able to get that to show up in Tversity

I'm not sure how important it is in the end though - given that you can't really stream 720p content across a wireless connection I may just stand by my use of a USB key! Seems like I would have to do a LOT of tweaking to get something remotely usable (probably via tags), compared to a guy I know at work who has a dedicated mediabox... his interface (I forget the name of the program) takes his films, automatically tags/categorizes them, links them to the cover art and online reviews, etc - infinitely better than going through a bunch of folder trees via the Oppo, which may or may not stream well with a loss in quality

What I really need most is a dead-simple way to re-encode my MKV's (720p video) into an earlier codec that the BDP-83 can read!
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page