3Likes

post #2671 of 39409 Old 03-13-2009, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

The Early Adoption Program is not designed to allow for stockpiling. It is designed as a market study to ensure that the player is indeed ready for widespread public use.

The hardware is done and all that's left is very minor firmware fixes. OPPO knows they have a great product that will be in high demand. 40 out of 40 voted that the player is stable enough for their use. OPPO could release the BDP-83 to the general public today and it would be a huge success.

The only reason I can think of for allowing only 100 more people a chance to purchase the player during the next two weeks (or more) it the ability to stock more units.

Even when the player is released to the general public OPPO has stated that they are thinking about letting people on the EAP list get first priority to purchase it (which I hope they do). Which may or may not have to do with a shortage of supply?

Again just my thoughts, not based on any specific knowledge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2672 of 39409 Old 03-13-2009, 11:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by videoaddikt View Post

Well, if they jumped into full production then folks would be complaining they did not spend much time evaluating concerns. Ya just can't win, I tell ya!!

Not to mention the potential nightmare if some unforeseen hardware issue required a modification of even the simplest kind. You don't start buying players from the factory en masse till you are 110% certain you are getting what you want.
post #2673 of 39409 Old 03-13-2009, 11:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by TapOrSnap View Post

The only reason I can think of for allowing only 100 more people a chance to purchase the player during the next two weeks (or more) it the ability to stock more units.

Again, if past experience is any help, Oppo doesn't stock anything. The 983s pretty much came in one door and went out the other from day one. The -83 will be the same IMHO.
post #2674 of 39409 Old 03-13-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Not to mention the potential nightmare if some unforeseen hardware issue required a modification of even the simplest kind. You don't start buying players from the factory en masse till you are 110% certain you are getting what you want.

Nothing is 100% certain (except death and taxes)
post #2675 of 39409 Old 03-13-2009, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

I'm as anxious as anyone to get this into my hands, but I'm not sure I agree with this.

Earlier this month 50 EAPers were given the chance to use this.

I believe everyone was very impressed.

I also believe that many (most) experienced an issue worthy of contacting Oppo about.

I would expect that Oppo would like to see that number be in the single digits (percentage wise) and not double digits prior to general release.

post #2676 of 39409 Old 03-13-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Again, if past experience is any help, Oppo doesn't stock anything. The 983s pretty much came in one door and went out the other from day one. The -83 will be the same IMHO.

I understand small companies not wanting to have huge inventories. But OPPO has a good idea how many units will be sold in the first initial wave after it's officially released based on the number of people on the EAP list.

It's that amount of units I think they are short on.

Hypothetical: if 2500 are on the EAP list and OPPO believes 80% of them will purchase the player they would need 2000 unit ready to go. But they only have 750 units stocked up. By holding the release date a few weeks longer then necessary they could bring in another 1250 units.
post #2677 of 39409 Old 03-13-2009, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I understand small companies not wanting to have huge inventories. But OPPO has a good idea how many units will be sold in the first initial wave after it's officially released based on the number of people on the EAP list.

Hypothetical: if 2500 are on the EAP list and OPPO believes 80% of them will purchase the player they would need 2000 unit ready to go. But they only have 750 units stocked up. By holding the release date a few weeks longer then necessary they could bring in another 1250 units.

Objection, your honor. No foundation. Speculation on the part of the witness.
post #2678 of 39409 Old 03-13-2009, 12:00 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 View Post

I'm as anxious as anyone to get this into my hands, but I'm not sure I agree with this.

Earlier this month 50 EAPers were given the chance to use this.

I believe everyone was very impressed.

I also believe that many (most) experienced an issue worthy of contacting Oppo about.

I would expect that Oppo would like to see that number be in the single digits (percentage wise) and not double digits prior to general release.

Yes, you want to be extra cautious about releasing a product to the general public. I'm not talking about anyone here, but if you try to help people out in the world with their gear you will encounter many who won't read the manual or FAQ, won't try out any setup options, wanted "the best" but don't know what that means, and if they encounter any obstacle at all it is just wah wah wah.

And we still need DVD-A for the official release.

-Bill
post #2679 of 39409 Old 03-13-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by narkspud View Post

Objection, your honor. No foundation. Speculation on the part of the witness.

Agreed. This is ONLY my opinion.

(plus I am bored at work)
post #2680 of 39409 Old 03-13-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:

I think that this viewpoint is a symptom of consumers being used to (and dare I say - expecting) products to be sold before they have been adequately tested to ensure 100% functionality. I for one, applaud Oppo for staying the course and taking the necessary steps (testing, testing, and more testing) to ensure the BDP-83 works as described before making it available to the general public. If Oppo made a preamp/processor, or a computer, or software, or a car, I'd be buying those products too.
post #2681 of 39409 Old 03-13-2009, 12:10 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Probabilistically, there are a lot less than 2500 people on the EAP list. When I spoke with OPPO earlier in the week I got the distinct impression that the official announcement will come very closely on the heels of the release of the next 100 into the wild. From this I will go out on a limb to make the conjecture that the next 100 will be rigged with a firmware version that supports DVD-A. Moreover, the guy at OPPO clearly intimated that their current stock is insufficient to satisfy the anticipated demand from the general public and that the first offerings post official release will be made to those who made an expressed interest in the BDP-83.
post #2682 of 39409 Old 03-13-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Yes, you want to be extra cautious about releasing a product to the general public. I'm not talking about anyone here, but if you try to help people out in the world with their gear you will encounter many who won't read the manual or FAQ, won't try out any setup options, wanted "the best" but don't know what that means, and if they encounter any obstacle at all it is just wah wah wah.

And we still need DVD-A for the official release.

-Bill

Can anyone comment on DVD-A availability? Could it be out with the next batch of EAP? I know I have a bunch of DVD-A disks I'd like to throw at it...
It would seem with the official release soon, they would need a round or two of testing to get DVD-A right.
Unless of course it's already in the hands of the Beta testers. If so, throw us a wink or something to ease our fears of that delaying the official release....

Chris
post #2683 of 39409 Old 03-13-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:

Probabilistically, there are a lot less than 2500 people on the EAP list. When I spoke with OPPO earlier in the week I got the distinct impression that the official announcement will come very closely on the heels of the release of the next 100 into the wild. From this I will go out on a limb to make the conjecture that the next 100 will be rigged with a firmware version that supports DVD-A. Moreover, the guy at OPPO clearly intimated that their current stock is insufficient to satisfy the anticipated demand from the general public and that the first offerings post official release will be made to those who made an expressed interest in the BDP-83.

This would be great news - but I suspect the EAP list is a multiple of hundreds - any ones guess - so its like NOW!!! - or 4-6-8 weeks from now. I hate the waiting, and posting here or hitting refresh doesn't help. I am a child of the immediate gratification generation ...
post #2684 of 39409 Old 03-13-2009, 12:19 PM

I'll right FINE..I'll admit it!

I am just anxious to get a BDP-83 in my home. I am tired of looking at the dozen or so blu-ray disk I've collected since Christmas gathering dust. I am an OPPO fan (I own two players now) I am also a self proclaimed impulse buyer who has been waiting over three months for this player

Did I mention I was bored at work?
post #2685 of 39409 Old 03-13-2009, 12:21 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dart23 View Post

Can anyone comment on DVD-A availability? Could it be out with the next batch of EAP? I know I have a bunch of DVD-A disks I'd like to throw at it...
It would seem with the official release soon, they would need a round or two of testing to get DVD-A right.
Unless of course it's already in the hands of the Beta testers. If so, throw us a wink or something to ease our fears of that delaying the official release....

Chris

"Soon. The Oracle will only say Soon."

-Bill
post #2686 of 39409 Old 03-13-2009, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Messaage to Oppo,
Can you please add adjustable crossover frequencies?....Pretty Please?
post #2687 of 39409 Old 03-13-2009, 12:24 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dart23 View Post

If so, throw us a wink or something to ease our fears of that delaying the official release....

Chris

Beta testers don't wink. You wouldn't want to play against us in a poker game either...

--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #2688 of 39409 Old 03-13-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbinet View Post

I suspect that this piece won't be sitting around for long! My prediction is that the 83 is going to fly off the shelves.

One would certainly hope so, but remember "Oppo" is still not a household name and with other players selling for $199-$299, a $500-600 player will appeal primarily to video aficionados, not to the average consumer.

Although we all want Oppo to include features like SACD and DVD-A etc., these features appeal to the .000546% of us who can appreciate them, not Joe Public.

R
post #2689 of 39409 Old 03-13-2009, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ballentine View Post

The 17-18 "key" features are darn nice (including the bag)- but most important to me is day-after-day reliability. Disc "freezes" (which sometimes require the need to unplug the player to re-boot) are beyond embarrassing when you have guests over for a movie. Hopefully the BDP-83 will be superb in this area.

Agreed.

This was my exact feelings whenever I used my Pioneer 51.

Will it freeze?
Will the disc load?
Will it stutter?

The Oppo has been a totally different scenario. I just put in
the disc and enjoy. No worries.

Display: Pioneer PRO-151 60" Elite
Blu-ray player: OPPO BDP-93, Sony BDP-S1000ES
HD DVD player: Toshiba HD-XA2(2)
Processor: Onkyo PR-SC885
Amplifier: Emotiva IPS-1 150Wx7
Game Console: Xbox 360, PS3
Speakers: Mythos ST(Fronts), Mythos Ten(Center), Mythos One(Rears)

post #2690 of 39409 Old 03-13-2009, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertazimmerman View Post

One would certainly hope so, but remember "Oppo" is still not a household name and with other players selling for $199-$299, a $500-600 player will appeal primarily to video aficionados, not to the average consumer.

Although we all want Oppo to include features like SACD and DVD-A etc., these features appeal to the .000546% of us who can appreciate them, not Joe Public.

R

the 'average' consumer is still watching dvd.
post #2691 of 39409 Old 03-13-2009, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ballentine View Post

The 17-18 "key" features are darn nice (including the bag)- but most important to me is day-after-day reliability. Disc "freezes" (which sometimes require the need to unplug the player to re-boot) are beyond embarrassing when you have guests over for a movie. Hopefully the BDP-83 will be superb in this area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petmic10 View Post

Agreed.

This was my exact feelings whenever I used my Pioneer 51.

Will it freeze?
Will the disc load?
Will it stutter?

The Oppo has been a totally different scenario. I just put in
the disc and enjoy. No worries.

This I feel is one of the greatest strengths of the BDP-83 and any OPPO player for that matter. The fact that they conduct beta tests in the manner which they do, and this EAP as well, may have a lot to do with it. These guys are by the people, for the people.
post #2692 of 39409 Old 03-13-2009, 12:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 60
No one has directly offered to sell their players...

But, this is a friendly reminder, that for sale, trade or want ads are not allowed in this thread or any where else outside of the classified forum. To be safe, we don't need posts letting us know you are selling your current player.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #2693 of 39409 Old 03-13-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amahl2442 View Post

Hi, is the cable supplied with the Oppo blu ray player a Category 2 rated cable? (i.e. tested to 340 MHz for 1.3c)
Thanks.

Oppo answered my question. Why ask the clergy when you can go straight to God? For anyone interested:

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Fri 3/13/2009 12:00 PM
To: OPPO Service
Subject: bdp-83 hdmi cable

Hi, quick question, is the hdmi cable that will be shipped with the bdp-83 on its release a category 2 (340 MHz) cable?
Thanks - looking forward to the player's release.
AT Scheppach

The cable has been tested and verified to support 1080p/60Hz with 36-bits Deep Color. We have not gone through the certification process for the HDMI 1.3 or Category 2 ratings.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
Service@oppodigital.com
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119
post #2694 of 39409 Old 03-13-2009, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertazimmerman View Post

R

Maybe .00546%..lol..
I think the Oppo may bring some out of the 1K-2K player crowd (or cloud?). The advantage of spending more than a grand to best the Oppo is like spending double on 20 year housepaint when you plan to sell in 10.
At the same time, others my aspire to jump the $500 hurdle from a $200-300 player ...last time I looked it's still much closer than $500 to $1000.
post #2695 of 39409 Old 03-13-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:

I'll right FINE..I'll admit it!

I am just anxious to get a BDP-83 in my home. I am tired of looking at the dozen or so blu-ray disk I've collected since Christmas gathering dust. I am an OPPO fan (I own two players now) I am also a self proclaimed impulse buyer who has been waiting over three months for this player

Did I mention I was bored at work?

This is your boss. I need to see you in my office immediately.
post #2696 of 39409 Old 03-13-2009, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 37
There is one main feature that someone has failed to mention. All the OPPO players contain a volume control feature that no other current player, that I know of, provides. This feature is at the top of my list when considering the BDP-83 because I own amplifiers only. No pre-pro or receiver. It's nice that I can plug and play with this device with one less component in the signal chain. I might be losing resolution with the dacs in this way but I can't tell.
It all sounds good to me!

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #2697 of 39409 Old 03-13-2009, 12:53 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

There is one main feature that someone has failed to mention. All the OPPO players contain a volume control feature that no other current player, that I know of, provides. This feature is at the top of my list when considering the BDP-83 because I own amplifiers only. No pre-pro or receiver. It's nice that I can plug and play with this device with one less component in the signal chain. I might be losing resolution with the dacs in this way but I can't tell.
It all sounds good to me!

And many claim the sound to be more transparent this way without use of a preamp and a second set of ICs

"Without music life would be a mistake." -Friedrich Nietzsche

post #2698 of 39409 Old 03-13-2009, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Cook View Post

...There is also an issue with the BDP-83 manual claiming support for 7.1/192/24 Dolby TrueHD soundtracks, which is beyond what Dolby currently claims (as far as I'm aware)....

From the Dolby website:

Supports up to eight full-range channels of 24-bit/96 kHz audio*
Supports up to 5.1 channels of 24-bit/192 kHz audio
post #2699 of 39409 Old 03-13-2009, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
How does the Oppo BDP-83 handle Netflix blu-ray movie rentals?
post #2700 of 39409 Old 03-13-2009, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
I have not had a single issue with all the Blu-ray movies I have received from NetFlix. In fact, I never bother cleaning them. I take them out of the sleeve, drop it into the OPPO, and commence my enjoyment.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Oppo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page