Official Samsung BD-P1600 Owners/master thread - Page 104 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3091 of 3602 Old 08-31-2010, 05:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have been having problems with the 2.09 firmware as well... in fact, I wasted quite some time on returning "damaged" Netflix Invictus discs until I figured it out. My BD-P1600 kept showing that I had the latest firmware, which may have been true for most of the time I was checking. But even after checking this forum yesterday and seeing that their was a 2.12 version, the player still told me I was up to date.

I downloaded the USB version from the Samsung website. The player did not acknowledge the .RUF file, even after I followed the instructions. So I downloaded and burned the .ISO version and that finally did the trick. Invictus and the other disc that gave me trouble (Gran Turino) work now.

If I had to guess, Samsung is limiting the update to "us" to beta test it before letting all owners download it.

Hope this helps someone else...

Dave

Be The Beer!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3092 of 3602 Old 08-31-2010, 09:33 AM

Liked: 10
I also had problems with movies such as Clash of the Titan with 2.09. It wouldn't load at all. I downloaded 2.12 from samsung's site and installed it via USB. Now the movie plays just fine. I'd advise everyone to upgrade to 2.12.

Does anybody know if we're going to finally get HULU on the 1600? I saw that with the higher samsung bluray models you can download the HULU app and was wondering if they're planning on releasing it on the 1600. That's would complete all I need on this player.
post #3093 of 3602 Old 08-31-2010, 07:17 PM

I had contacted Samsung regarding firmware update 2.12 that I thought would fix my issue of the above subject. After going through the troubleshooting steps again, it was determined after I gave them my serial number that my unit was "one of the bad units" and needs to be serviced. They were going to charge me for labor and shipping the unit back to them but without much of a fight they took care of everything. Interestingly enough they asked me if they find it cannot be fixed do i want a player of equal or do I want a refurb. I went with the of equal value. I would really like the C5500 as a replacement if they cannot fix my unit. So I will see in 7-10 days if Samsung was able to fix my player and I will post my findings.

I have seen numerous posts about the same issue. What happened in your situation? Please let me know so i know what i am in for.

Thanks
post #3094 of 3602 Old 09-02-2010, 05:10 AM

here is my problem and it might be self inflicted LOL. long story short i have a canadian 1600 and now live in Ohio. I wanted to take advantage of netflix and pandora streaming so i purchased a mainboard from ebay and installed it. Pandora and Netflix works fine, now i updated the firmwares one at a time to the latest 2.12 then tried to play discs and i think 1 played that was True Romance but froze at a scene selection. The rest i tried were all "disc cannot be played". Could it be the firmware that did me in or the mainboard itself? also last question is there a difference between the dvd drive in a canadian version and american one? is there some thing i am missing?
post #3095 of 3602 Old 09-02-2010, 11:06 AM

Chochamu, you went past my ability to diagnose or help at "mainboard." You're braver than I trying that stuff.

This is either the slowest firmware rollout ever or they're just offering it to specific serial number batches or something because 2.12 still isn't available to me via network update. It has never taken this long after being published on the website.
post #3096 of 3602 Old 09-02-2010, 11:36 AM

just wanted to take advantage of pandora nad netflix since i live in the US now and all of that is blocked on Canadian units the only way to do it was the board, the connections are the same but i guess the units aren't exactly identical. but i think i might throw in the old canadian board back in so i can watch movies again and wait to buy a US unit black friday or try again with another board LOL not sure yet.
post #3097 of 3602 Old 09-03-2010, 06:33 AM

Walmart is selling the BDP-1590 which is essentially the same unit for less than $100. This may be a quicker solution to your issue.
post #3098 of 3602 Old 09-03-2010, 08:00 AM

2.12 is now available on the Canadian Samsung site. I haven't bothered checking to see if it offers it to me via the network yet (so much work unplugging the ethernet cable from the xbox and plugging it into the Blu-Ray Player ).

I've had no issues with 2.09 yet (it fixed freezing issues with UP for me), but I don't want to chance it so I'll throw this on there at the next opportunity.
post #3099 of 3602 Old 09-04-2010, 01:07 PM

I went ahead and did the 2.12 firmware last night and now I am having network issues.
It suddenly could not get a DHCP address so I put in a static and saw it show up on my router for about 10 seconds. It took about 6 reboots before it would pass the network test and then I could get to Netflix. I watched a movie on Netflix with no issues and when it was over and I tried to rate it or remove it I kept getting the dreaded "Try again" because there was no network.

Here is the setup. I am using a Netgear "N" router and a Cisco wireless bridge connected to a small switch and the BD-1600 is plugged into the switch. I have not had any issues prior to going to 2.12 as far as network. I checked and the Samsung TV, X-Box 360, and PS3 all still have connectivity from the switch and all of the wireless devices are working fine without issue. So this leads me to think the problem is in the BD-1600.

Has anyone else had any issues with the 1600 not talking to the network? My wireless bridge is maybe 50 ft from the router and the only thing in between them is a closet wall with no issulation in it.

Yes I have rebooted the router, bridge, switch and the 1600. There was no other network useage at the time and no other electronics being used other than my laptop to access the router to watch the logs. I have not made any updates to anything other than the 2.12 firmware update.

I recently had neck surgery and right now my TV is my best friend and even with all of the hundreds of channels on Verizon Fios I have a better selection of movies on Netflix. I do not want to have to connect my laptop to the TV to watch movies especialy since I do not have it setup to run the sound thru the Yamaha reciever.

Should I consider downgrading the firmware? I was on 2.09 prior to the upgrade and did not have the network issue at that time. The only problem is that I had done the 2.09 over the network and do not have a copy of it.

Thanks
post #3100 of 3602 Old 09-04-2010, 02:57 PM

Liked: 16
I just recently performed the 2.12 firmware update. The only problem I had immediately following the update was having to unplug the player when I first powered it on because it froze on the LOAD screen. However, after unplugging for 60 seconds, it rectified the problem. I had no network issues with this update. I went into the audio menu to change my settings and also ran the network test with no problems. And I then tested it out by streaming Netflix, Pandora, and watching a couple of YouTube videos. And I don't seem to be having any audio-sync issues and freezes that I was having on a couple Disney Pixar Blu-ray movies.

My network setup:

BD-P1600 + DISH DVR are plugged into a D-Link switch over Ethernet cable. And the switch is plugged into D-Link WAP over Ethernet cable. And the WAP makes the radio shot to my Linksys WRT54GS router, which has DD-WRT firmware installed on it. No problems to speak of in my case.

For those of you having network issues, first try unplugging the player for 60 seconds. Plug it back and see it it solves any issues. Sometimes it does. Next suggestion would be to reboot the router. And verify in the router settings that it's DHCP server settings are enabled.

*I use the CD Image method to upgrade my firmware. The network method takes too long and can be unreliable.
post #3101 of 3602 Old 09-04-2010, 05:02 PM

I have done all of those prior to posting. I used the USB to do the update, all previous updates were done via network.

I am just going to have to find someone to help me run the network thru the attic to that spot. I have already run cat5e to every other room in the house. My kid is to scared of spiders to climb up into the attic while I shoot the cable across.
post #3102 of 3602 Old 09-05-2010, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgtls View Post

I have done all of those prior to posting. I used the USB to do the update, all previous updates were done via network.

I am just going to have to find someone to help me run the network thru the attic to that spot. I have already run cat5e to every other room in the house. My kid is to scared of spiders to climb up into the attic while I shoot the cable across.

You must have shown your kid too many horror movies!

FWIW, I always opt for a wired connection for devices that are not on the move, desktops, video player, NAS etc. as this tends to reduce or eliminate many network issues. I have Wi-Fi in the house but only use it for enabled hand held devices and such.

Al
post #3103 of 3602 Old 09-05-2010, 09:23 PM

i see, is now here $84.88 -> topbluray.blogspot.com but it,s used.
post #3104 of 3602 Old 09-06-2010, 02:31 PM

Still having the network problems with Netflix. I keep getting the "Try again" error. I have tried Pandora and also get an error. But YouTube works just fine. This makes no sense at all. I have tried changing back to DHCP but can not get an IP so put it back to a static. There is no reason to be having this type of problem.
post #3105 of 3602 Old 09-06-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgtls View Post

Still having the network problems with Netflix. I keep getting the "Try again" error. I have tried Pandora and also get an error. But YouTube works just fine. This makes no sense at all. I have tried changing back to DHCP but can not get an IP so put it back to a static. There is no reason to be having this type of problem.

That is strange. I had no network issues when I upgraded to firmware 2.12 using the CD upgrade. And I have my Samsung plugged into a WAP.

However, I might be able to help you out. I keep all my CD firmware .iso files in a folder and I still have 2.09. You'll need to download a program like ImgBurn or Nero to burn this file as an image onto a CD-R. Eject the tray on the player and put in the CD-R and let it go through the process. And it will eject the disc asking you to remove it and to select Yes to confirm you want to use this firmware. Don't touch anything until it completes this process and powers down on it's own. Don't interrupt it at any point.

I'll keep it on my server to download for the next few days. This is the firmware 2.09 .iso file for USA BD-P1600 players. CLICK HERE FOR DOWNLOAD
post #3106 of 3602 Old 09-06-2010, 10:54 PM

I decided to pull the power to everything and I mean everything. I also made 1 change to my router (set DHCP to start at 100 instead of 25) and now everything is working. At least for now. Was able to watch 3 Netflix movies without any issues.
I hope I do not need to do that again, it is not easy reaching back to pull the plug with your neck in a brace.
post #3107 of 3602 Old 09-07-2010, 07:48 AM

I have now watched 2 BD movies on 2.12 firmware (The Men Who Stare At Goats and Public Enemies). "The Men Who Stare At Goats" played flawlessly under both 2.09 and 2.12.

Public Enemies was nearly unwatchable. It froze up once every 15-20 minutes, with the player making sickly "I can't read this disc properly" grinding noises for several seconds before continuing. At one point, it froze completely and I had to take out the disc and put it back in TWICE before it would play again. The first time i did this, i was greeted with a "This disc cannot be played" error. The second time, it played the movie fine (with one or two more freezes as described above). The disc was clean, though it was a used copy of the movie. I never tried this movie under previous firmware versions.

I'm becoming very tired of the weird playback issues. Most movies play fine, but you'll hit one that won't play properly. I realize this is the state of Blu-Ray on most non-Sony players, but really, this is not much of a standard if you compare it to DVDs. DVD players would really only freeze up during normal playback if the disc was very dirty or the player was defective.
post #3108 of 3602 Old 09-07-2010, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman05 View Post

I have now watched 2 BD movies on 2.12 firmware (The Men Who Stare At Goats and Public Enemies). "The Men Who Stare At Goats" played flawlessly under both 2.09 and 2.12.

Public Enemies was nearly unwatchable. It froze up once every 15-20 minutes, with the player making sickly "I can't read this disc properly" grinding noises for several seconds before continuing. At one point, it froze completely and I had to take out the disc and put it back in TWICE before it would play again. The first time i did this, i was greeted with a "This disc cannot be played" error. The second time, it played the movie fine (with one or two more freezes as described above). The disc was clean, though it was a used copy of the movie. I never tried this movie under previous firmware versions.

I'm becoming very tired of the weird playback issues. Most movies play fine, but you'll hit one that won't play properly. I realize this is the state of Blu-Ray on most non-Sony players, but really, this is not much of a standard if you compare it to DVDs. DVD players would really only freeze up during normal playback if the disc was very dirty or the player was defective.

Your last paragraph sums it up, I beleive the public in general is not too happy with the Blu-Ray solution, way too many issues. I'll bet that most of it is tied to all of the special functionality like BDLive and such, what ever happened to just watching the darn movie?

Al
post #3109 of 3602 Old 09-08-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhark10 View Post

I had contacted Samsung regarding firmware update 2.12 that I thought would fix my issue of the above subject. After going through the troubleshooting steps again, it was determined after I gave them my serial number that my unit was "one of the bad units" and needs to be serviced. They were going to charge me for labor and shipping the unit back to them but without much of a fight they took care of everything. Interestingly enough they asked me if they find it cannot be fixed do i want a player of equal or do I want a refurb. I went with the of equal value. I would really like the C5500 as a replacement if they cannot fix my unit. So I will see in 7-10 days if Samsung was able to fix my player and I will post my findings.

I have seen numerous posts about the same issue. What happened in your situation? Please let me know so i know what i am in for.

Thanks

Here is my update.........Samsung technicians are no the brightest bulbs! I say that half serious and half joking. You would think if you sent a player to get serviced for not be able to play blu-ray discs, they would actually test the unit before sending it back with a BLU-RAY DISC!!!!! I cannot begin to express my displeasure with Samsung. There customer service is excellent I must say. I have been calm on the phone and not yelling but I have been explaining myself clearly and directly. I got the player back today, plugged it in and put in Toy Story 2. The player immediately ejected and a message read "disc cannot be played." On the phone again with Samsung and they have to try and fix it twice before they replace it. They wanted to give me a refurbished BD-P1600. If they cannot fix it this time, they have already agreed that they would replace it with a new BD-C5500. It's just frustrating! I also found out that firmware 2.12 was released to try and fix certain serial number. I thought I read that on a prior post as well (if so you were right)? If you are experiencing this issue, you should contact Samsung, they will pay for everything.
post #3110 of 3602 Old 09-08-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:

Here is my update.........Samsung technicians are no the brightest bulbs! I say that half serious and half joking. You would think if you sent a player to get serviced for not be able to play blu-ray discs, they would actually test the unit before sending it back with a BLU-RAY DISC!!!!! I cannot begin to express my displeasure with Samsung. There customer service is excellent I must say. I have been calm on the phone and not yelling but I have been explaining myself clearly and directly. I got the player back today, plugged it in and put in Toy Story 2. The player immediately ejected and a message read "disc cannot be played." On the phone again with Samsung and they have to try and fix it twice before they replace it. They wanted to give me a refurbished BD-P1600. If they cannot fix it this time, they have already agreed that they would replace it with a new BD-C5500. It's just frustrating! I also found out that firmware 2.12 was released to try and fix certain serial number. I thought I read that on a prior post as well (if so you were right)? If you are experiencing this issue, you should contact Samsung, they will pay for everything.

I would not accept a refurbished model just on general principle. I would ask to speak to the shift supervisor and tell him/her the details of your previous conversation with tech support. That they discussed with you the option of getting a refurb or a new player of equal value. Hold them to their word. Escalate your call reference number to a supervisor or ask if they have a complaints dept. representative that you can speak to. Also, I wanted to mention to you that Samsung did replace my 2nd bricked P1600 with a brand new one. I flat out refused a refurb. I bought a brand new player that was defective. I want a brand new player in return. I'm on player #3 if it gives you any idea what kind of luck I've had with this particular model. They keep sending me new one's for free. I'll stick with them. If they stop extending me that courtesy, then I will simply change brands. If only they could make BD players as well as they can flat panel HDTVs.

As for them not testing the player using an actual BD would be absurd if that really is the case. They may have tested it with a random BD movie and it played fine. I will tell you from personal experience that I always cross my fingers when I play any Disney Pixar BD. They are a crap shoot with the P1600. Unfortunately, that's normal.

You know it's really too bad about the dubious reputation this model has earned. And rightly so, but when it actually does work, it is excellent player. Both in BD playback and DVD upconversion PQ & AQ. It makes my Star Wars IV V VI re-mastered DVDs look like near BD quality. The 1080p upconversion is excellent. The streaming (Pandora & Netflix) functionality on my machine is excellent. If Samsung tech could pull their head out of their a$$es and iron out the bugs, this would be one heck of a player considering how cheap it is.
post #3111 of 3602 Old 09-09-2010, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowBudget5.1 View Post

. . . You know it's really too bad about the dubious reputation this model has earned. And rightly so, but when it actually does work, it is excellent player. . .

Yep. That about sums it up.

2.12 still isn't available to me via a network update, so I can only assume that the update is targeted only for specific serial number batches or something. It has never taken this long for an update to appear on the network.

I'm not going to force the issue and install from USB or ISO. If Samsung isn't pushing this update out to me there must be a reason. Everything is working well for me anyway, so I'll sit this one out for now.
post #3112 of 3602 Old 09-10-2010, 09:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I'm exactly in the same boat and am not willing to upgrade unless Samsung pushes it as a network update. The only difference for me is that I couldn't play ''The Losers" in BD. The thing that pissed me off was the fact that all the previews played perfectly and then the player just locked up with the spinning disc at the start of the movie. I figure with all the firmware missteps uptill this point, I might as well wait it out until there's a consensus or until at least a network update is pushed.

Can anyone else tell me if they've been able to watch ''The Losers" BD on firmware version 2.09?
post #3113 of 3602 Old 09-11-2010, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post

I'm exactly in the same boat and am not willing to upgrade unless Samsung pushes it as a network update. The only difference for me is that I couldn't play ''The Losers" in BD. The thing that pissed me off was the fact that all the previews played perfectly and then the player just locked up with the spinning disc at the start of the movie. I figure with all the firmware missteps uptill this point, I might as well wait it out until there's a consensus or until at least a network update is pushed.

Can anyone else tell me if they've been able to watch ''The Losers" BD on firmware version 2.09?

I had the same issue, change the resolution from 1080p to 1080i or 720p and you will be able to watch it. I now have 2.12 but the movie already went back to Netflix so I can't test it with the new firmware.
post #3114 of 3602 Old 09-18-2010, 06:53 AM

Quote:

Samsung has fix my player. It now plays Blu-ray discs again. I was kind of hoping that they wouldn't be able to fix it and they would have to replace it but I am happy it is fixed because when this player actually works, it is a great player for the price in which i got it for. If you are having similar problems contact Samsung and have them fix it. This is not something a firmware update can fix ("disc cannot be played"). Just make sure you tell customer service that the player cannot play Blu-ray discs. All is right with the world!
post #3115 of 3602 Old 09-18-2010, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Samsung has fix my player. It now plays Blu-ray discs again. I was kind of hoping that they wouldn't be able to fix it and they would have to replace it but I am happy it is fixed because when this player actually works, it is a great player for the price in which i got it for. If you are having similar problems contact Samsung and have them fix it. This is not something a firmware update can fix ("disc cannot be played"). Just make sure you tell customer service that the player cannot play Blu-ray discs. All is right with the world!

That is good news, curious what F/W version did they leave you with?

Al
post #3116 of 3602 Old 09-20-2010, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post

That is good news, curious what F/W version did they leave you with?

Version 2.12
post #3117 of 3602 Old 09-20-2010, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Version 2.12

I may just have to update my units F/W then...

Al
post #3118 of 3602 Old 09-20-2010, 02:27 PM

Well, the saga of the crappy Samsung Blu-Ray player continues.

I posted earlier that my BD-P1600 was having playback issues with Warner Bros. releases (specifically would not play Invictus, Cop-out, and the Book of Eli). I have applied the 2.12 firmware update (through USB) and while I haven't tried to play any of the above mentioned titles (Book of Eli is coming tomorrow through Netflix), the player is still a huge steaming pile of crap.

I was trying to watch the first season of Hung and while the first 2 episodes played OK (still freezing occasionally), the player has a huge grinding fit during the 3rd episode. I sent the disk back to Netflix hoping it was a bad disk. I just received the replacement disk and my player still sounds like it's grinding coffee beans in around the same time frame as the first disk (around 15 minutes into the 3rd episode). The show is utterly unwatchable in the player's current condition.

I will be replacing the Blu-ray player with a Sony unit to match my receiver/LCD HDTV as soon as possible. I have sworn off Samsung as a "quality brand" and they have received their last red cents from me...ever.
post #3119 of 3602 Old 09-20-2010, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
I have this player in my office, love the pandora. It keeps telling me I can upgrade FW. It's working so well that I just keep telling it no. Should I do it?
post #3120 of 3602 Old 09-21-2010, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsoul View Post

I have this player in my office, love the pandora. It keeps telling me I can upgrade FW. It's working so well that I just keep telling it no. Should I do it?

I'm still running the firmware that came with my machine because I haven't run into any issues which require an upgrade.

Also, there are some horror stories of folks who had problems after upgrading their firmware and were told by Samsung support that they caused their own problems by attempting an upgrade when it wasn't necessary
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung , Samsung Bd P1600 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Samsung Ln32a330 32 Inch 720p Lcd Hdtv , Xbox 360 Media Remote
Gear in this thread - P1600 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page