Forum Jump: 

post #3511 of 3602 Old 01-30-2012, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In post #3493 above, I wrote:

Quote:

Our BD-P1600 will play 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2' with no problem, but Part 1 is unplayable due to freezing in Scene 6 and in some other places. Running firmware version 2.18, both discs brand new. Have checked disc and have also cleaned it with isopropyl alcohol even though it looks perfect... no help. (The standard DVD of Part 1 included with the Blu-Ray version plays perfectly on this player.)

Any thoughts?

This is a follow-up. Recently we acquired another Blu-Ray copy of 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 1'. This new copy played perfectly on our BD-P1600, using the same firmware version as previously (2.18), leading us to the conclusion that the previous copy was defective, even though new. The differences between the new and old disc sets were as follows:

1) The previous disc is part of a 3-disc set, and the new one is part of a 2-disc set.

2) Holding the discs up to a light and looking through them, the previous disc could be seen through in the areas of the title and logos. The new disc was opaque. However, we have other discs which can be seen through that work perfectly.

Seems like the player was not responsible for the original problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3512 of 3602 Old 02-07-2012, 08:22 PM

The great customer support folks at Samsung don't have a clue so I decided to try this forum: the BD-P1600 can play AVCHD (interlaced scan format) videos. Does anyone know if it will play progressive scan format with the most recent firmware update ?

UPDATE: I recently updated the firmware to 2.19 (most recent). The unit is now able to play back BOTH interlaced and progressive AVCHD video. However, if the video in the menu of the DVD is recorded at greater than 8 mbps rate the player will hang. Tests run on more recent (2011) Samsung BD players display no difficulty with ANY bit rate recording of the menu segment. Great compatibility within the same manufacturer's product !
post #3513 of 3602 Old 02-11-2012, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've had the BD-P1600 since June of 2009 and just recently starting using Netflix. The player is running Firmware 2.16 (US).

Sometimes, when I'm watching a TV show, usually an episode of Star Trek (TOS) but it has happened with others, if I use the right arrow to skip forward (or back), once I've selected the position and pressed play again, it buffers the new content and then I get audio but no video.

When this happens, I haven't yet found a way to get the video back without power cycling the player. Even if I go all the way back to the machine's main menu (which is a little difficult without any video), still no video.

I tried switching the input on my TV (the player is directly connected to my Mitsubishi WD-65737 via HDMI) but this didn't help. It seems the player is just no longer sending out any video.

Last night, it was much worse. I tried to watch an episode of Star Trek and once it got to the point of showing the episode, the video was lost and I had to power cycle the player. Note that in this case, I didn't try to skip past any content - just play the episode. This went on for 4 attempts before it finally played correctly.

Has anyone else seen this? Even if there is no way to solve the underlying problem, is there any way to get the video to come back without power cycling the player?

Thanks,
post #3514 of 3602 Old 02-16-2012, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 56
@ cgking114

Quote:

''Sent mine to Samsung to fix the BR disc issuue. Tried to tell me that it was not firmware related and I went to the Executive Customer Resolution Team who got it fixed for free. I received it back this past Friday and everything seems to be working great. Plays all discs fine.

Did you have to pay out of pocket for packing and shipping or did Samsung do the right thing and take care of it?
post #3515 of 3602 Old 02-19-2012, 06:07 AM

So is Samsung officially dropping support for Blockbuster on the BD-P1600? Doesn't appear to be listed as a supported device on blockbuster.com anymore.
post #3516 of 3602 Old 02-23-2012, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post

@ cgking114

Quote:

''Sent mine to Samsung to fix the BR disc issuue. Tried to tell me that it was not firmware related and I went to the Executive Customer Resolution Team who got it fixed for free. I received it back this past Friday and everything seems to be working great. Plays all discs fine.

Did you have to pay out of pocket for packing and shipping or did Samsung do the right thing and take care of it?

No they took care of everything.
post #3517 of 3602 Old 02-23-2012, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks. I just shipped mine back the same way and hope to get it fixed soon. I'll update when this happens.
post #3518 of 3602 Old 03-01-2012, 07:43 PM

Is there a way to switch between optical audio output and HDMI?

The Blu Ray player and everything else is routed through my receiver with HDMI, but I want to be able to switch to optical audio output occasionally. Video still needs to go through the receiver.
post #3519 of 3602 Old 03-01-2012, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellistyle View Post

Is there a way to switch between optical audio output and HDMI?

The Blu Ray player and everything else is routed through my receiver with HDMI, but I want to be able to switch to optical audio output occasionally. Video still needs to go through the receiver.

Both are active at the same time.
post #3520 of 3602 Old 03-02-2012, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickDrift View Post

Well, after almost two years, our BD-P1600 has finally bricked.

Last night my wife was prompted to update the unit, so we did so as usual. It took unusually long, but finally was completed, and turned itself off. After it turned on we found we couldn't use our Netflix account, so we gave up trying, figuring we had gotten another bad update. So we then tried to watch our Blu-Ray of North-by-Northwest, which wouldn't load at all. So now I was worried. I then tried to access the units Menu, which would not come up, thats when I noticed the units "Load" message stuck on the front display.

Today I contacted Samsung support via chat and was informed that they would be "willing" to do a one time free repair, if it was found that the update caused the problem. I am skeptical, but at least glad they are offering to do it for free. Hopefully they do what they have promised.

My BD-P1600 gave up this last weekend after about 2 years. I had never upgraded the firmware on it because I had learned my lesson playing firmware roulette with a prior BD-P1400 and usually causing as many new issues as there were old issues resolved. I don't even know what firmware my player has on it but it would have been whatever they were shipping with in 2009 when I received this player as a replacement for my PoS '1400.

It will turn on via both the power button and the remote control.

The disc tray will eject and retract via both front-panel and remote control.

When you power the unit with the disc tray closed the front-panel shows the message "LOADING" but never goes beyond that.

If I open the disc tray and then close it, it will display a message of "CLOSE" and never change.

The display shows the loading background blue/green montage image but never shows any loading text, menus or firmware upgrade prompts.

Resolution Attempts:
I have power cycled the unit, several times.

I have done the "hold FF button for 10 seconds to reset" (this does nothing, capacitve front-panel buttons don't recognise the continuous hold)

I have done the "hold POWER button for 10 seconds" to reset (again, does nothing).

I have loaded the latest firmware to a USB stick and tried both front and rear panel inputs. The USB activity light shows for a few seconds but nothing ever happens.

I have burned an ISO of the latest firmware to a CD-R and tried multiple loads via disc tray or power on and it never does more than spin the disc for a few moments.

I disconnected the HDMI, LAN and USB connections and powered on the unit with no change in behaviour. I tried connecting via component cables and the unit still won't get past the palette screen.

How Did This Happen
Last Friday I was watching "The Dark Knight" and left the disc in the player because I didn't finish the movie. Come Saturday evening I started the player up again and I could hear the disc start to load but it never got past the LOADING display on the LCD panel and the palette image for the actual screen display.

Now consider that my Samsung BD-P1600 has one of the most cushy lives, and any other piece of technology would be so jealous of the babying that I give my equipment.
- my equipment rack has a massive battery backup unit capable of keeping EVERYTHING online for 15 minutes even with a plasma and receiver pulling heavy current draws
- after the battery backup, all of the sensitive electronics (like the Blu-ray player) have a H15 power conditioner sitting in front of them
- all of the networking equipment is similarly protected, an there are even surge protectors on the network jacks!
- clean, smoke-free home
- the rack has 4x 120mm cooling fans that relay on when the system powers up, keeping everything well ventilated

Conclusion
At this point I think I've given up on Samsung disc-based players**. I *might* give Samsung Customer Service a try but I literally spent HOURS of phone time with their reps a few years ago trying to get any resolution to my faulty BD-P1400 player which their various firmwares beat into a slow, submissive death. They did *finally* agree to provide a 1600 as replacement after 22 calls to support (I documented every call in a text file, who I talked to, expected results, etc.) but this was after having my '1400 shipped to them, "checked for firmware upgrade" and mailed back to me with no actual fix applied.

Short of them paying for shipping both ways on this player I'm going to cut my losses and buy something else.

** when I say "Samsung disc-based players** I mean all of them. This now makes 2x Blu-ray players, 2x DVD-RW drives for PCs and a portable CD/MP3 player that have all failed in some whimpering, hobbled fashion. Instead of just dying outright they make you suffer through a slow process of intermittent failures, 'sorta, kinda not working' type states until the final slap across the face. Then customer service gets toy with you some more if you are in for the full masochistic experience.

post #3521 of 3602 Old 03-24-2012, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

I'm with you man. I finally got my player back from the repair service company and I'm glad to report everything is working as it should to this point. I'll be looking to upgrade both my Samsung HDTV and BD Player to newer 3D generation models sometime this year but I can't say that I'll consider Samsung again after the multiple defective issues I've had with both. They shouldn't feel too bad though as I'll definitely be looking at their new Galaxy S III line of phones as I've been very satisfied in that regard. I buy unlocked and unsubsidized so they'll still make money. I hope they won't disappoint me there in the future as well.
post #3522 of 3602 Old 04-15-2012, 05:18 PM

I've owned this blu-ray player for over a year now and haven't had any complaints playing blu-rays or dvd's.
Recently I have been wanting to play some Divx and mkv files via USB and have unfortunately learned that I cannot (bought in Canada - Canadian FW).
Reading through some forum sites, people had been loading other country's FW with a slight hex edit so the unit would accept the FW, and reporting that it would then play mkv and divx. Those posts have been around 2 years old so they are a bit outdated (reference FW 2.04/2.05).
Can anyone tell me if the more recent Canadian FW upgrades (2.19 out now) allow for divx and/or mkv playback? I'd rather not mess around with FW upgrades if they aren't likely to allow these files to play... also not thrilled about trying other countries FW since the player does still play blu-rays and dvds quite well. At this point I'm not sure if I should try messing with FWs or just go buy the same LG bluray player my brother picked up that plays every codec he has tried from USB and cost around $70...
post #3523 of 3602 Old 04-22-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post

I've had the BD-P1600 since June of 2009 and just recently starting using Netflix. The player is running Firmware 2.16 (US).

Sometimes, when I'm watching a TV show, usually an episode of Star Trek (TOS) but it has happened with others, if I use the right arrow to skip forward (or back), once I've selected the position and pressed play again, it buffers the new content and then I get audio but no video.

When this happens, I haven't yet found a way to get the video back without power cycling the player. Even if I go all the way back to the machine's main menu (which is a little difficult without any video), still no video.

I tried switching the input on my TV (the player is directly connected to my Mitsubishi WD-65737 via HDMI) but this didn't help. It seems the player is just no longer sending out any video.

Last night, it was much worse. I tried to watch an episode of Star Trek and once it got to the point of showing the episode, the video was lost and I had to power cycle the player. Note that in this case, I didn't try to skip past any content - just play the episode. This went on for 4 attempts before it finally played correctly.

Has anyone else seen this? Even if there is no way to solve the underlying problem, is there any way to get the video to come back without power cycling the player?

Thanks,

I've had that exact problem and posted about it here. I experimented with various firmware versions, cables, routers, switches and never found a solution to this very annoying problem.

What I did do was buy a Roku 2 XS just to use for streaming Netflix, and it does not have the problem that the Samsung did. The 5.1 audio alone was worth the price.
post #3524 of 3602 Old 04-29-2012, 07:41 AM

I thought someone posted what to block on their router so the player can't check/download updates, but can't find the post. Has anyone done this successfully?

I'm afraid someone else might turn on the player and run the update that pops up everytime (I'm at 2.15). After an update bricked my unit, and having to send it in for repair, I'm holding off on all future updates.
post #3525 of 3602 Old 04-30-2012, 07:06 PM

Below is a partial copy of a message I posted on 09-28-10.
I have not used my unit in a while and I don't know if the Samsung site has been changed by later firmware upgrades?

"Yes, I have 203.254.223.77 (liveupdate.blurayplayer.samsung.com) blocked also. I normally check my router logs after firmware updates for obvious changes. Samsung changed update servers as my machine nolonger hits 203.254.223.77 on power up. Several updates back my BDP-1600 started hitting 112.106.1.16 (Samsungotn.net) on power up."
post #3526 of 3602 Old 05-01-2012, 06:27 AM

My notes show that when using an earlier firmware, the player would check for
updates at liveupdate.blurayplayer.samsung.com (203.254.223.77). After updating
to a later firmware, the machine checked for updates at www.samsungotn.net
(70.37.72.170).

I have both of these blocked and my player never checks for a new firmware.
post #3527 of 3602 Old 05-14-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post

My notes show that when using an earlier firmware, the player would check for
updates at liveupdate.blurayplayer.samsung.com (203.254.223.77). After updating
to a later firmware, the machine checked for updates at www.samsungotn.net
(70.37.72.170).

I have both of these blocked and my player never checks for a new firmware.

IP Information: 70.37.72.170
Host name: 70.37.72.170
Country Code: US
Region: WA
City: Redmond
Latitude: 47.6801
Longitude: -122.1206
-------------------------------------------------------
IP Information: 203.254.223.77
Region: N/A
City: N/A
Postal Code: N/A
Latitude/Longitude: 37.000000 / 127.500000
ISP: N/A
Organization: N/A
Host Name: u77.gpu113.samsung.co.kr
-------------------------------------------------------
IP Information: 112.106.1.16
Region: N/A
City: N/A
Latitude/Longitude: 37.000000 / 127.500000
ISP: "SamsungSDS Inc."
Organization: "SamsungSDS Inc."
------------------------------------------------------
I decided to re-check my router logs after Samsung powerup: (I have a different router now, was a dlilnk now a SMC.)
Below is what my 1600 hits on power up:
I am running firmware: BEv2.12_100825_XAA
------------------------------------------------------------
www.worldtimeserver.com/
m.icq.com/
www.samsungotn.net/openapi/tv/BD-P1600_XAA
www.samsungotn.net/openapi/log/otn/ZPCA3HZI65ZDW
-------------------------------------------------------------
I whois'd www.samsungotn.net/ and it IP'd @ 210.118.88.205
Region: Seoul-t'ukpyolsi
City: Seoul
Latitude/Longitude: 37.566399 / 126.999702
ISP: "SamsungSDS Inc."
Organization: "SamsungSDS Inc."
---------------------------------------------------------
In addition to 203.254.223.77 & 112.106.1.16 I will ad 210.118.88.205 & 70.37.72.170 to my router to block Samsung handshakes, I wish they would stick with one server.
Although IP address lookup list 70.37.72.170 as Microsoft it was necessary to block handshakes.
When pinging "www.samsungotn.net" it decodes as "otnopenapiww.cloudapp.net" (70.37.72.170)
Strange things these network servers. Must be "Hosting"
post #3528 of 3602 Old 05-25-2012, 12:53 PM

I just updated to 2.19 and The Hanover no longer works, just a black screen, it still works on my friends ps3 though and used to work on mine. Anyone know how to fix this issue? It is so irritating! I tried holding the fast forward button to reset but the menu just pops up for half a second then disapears, and I can't find any old canadian firmwares to downgrade to (if it's possible). Thanks
post #3529 of 3602 Old 06-08-2012, 06:46 PM

"Upcoming scheduled Netflix maintenance on your Samsung device"

E-mail I received from Samsung today @9:24pm

"Dear Valued Samsung Customer,
We are sending you this email today to inform you of an upcoming scheduled maintenance of the Netflix service that is available on your Samsung device. This outage may affect your ability to register new Netflix devices on June 12th between 11:30 PM PST and 11:45 PM PST. We expect new device registration to be restored after that time, and apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you. If you have any questions or concerns about this situation, please feel free to contact our customer support at any time via the links in this email.

Thank you for choosing Samsung."
post #3530 of 3602 Old 06-13-2012, 11:15 PM

Does anyone have info regarding the procedure and code necessary to setup my Time Warner cable remote (Atlas OCAP model 1056) in location Rochester, NY to be used as a universal remote w/ my Samsung BD-P1600 BlueRay player. Time Warner Cable's online, phone & chat support all gave the same procedure that didn't work:

1) With DVD powered on Press remote button DVD
2) hold setup until DVD button blinks 2x
3) Enter manufacture's 4 digit code (0899, 0820, 1044, 0490, 0573 or 1075) and DVD button will blink 2x if code is accepted (by remote)
4) press remote power button and Blueray should power down
Repeat steps 1 - 4 w/ next manufacture's code until correct one works

any suggestions/info??
post #3531 of 3602 Old 06-14-2012, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 352
The correct code for all Samsung blu-ray players is DVD 0199 (or 20199 if you remote takes 5 digit codes). Not sure if it exists in that model remote or not, you'll have to look in the manual. The codes they told you to use don't make much sense, they're mostly old DVD, VCR and Panasonic codes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3532 of 3602 Old 06-14-2012, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
hi mdavej,

The devices master spreadsheet shows that none of the atlas remotes have the 0199 setup code.
Best,
jeff
post #3533 of 3602 Old 06-15-2012, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Jeff.

In that case, I highly recommend the OP pick up an RCA RCRP05B for $9 from Best Buy. It not only has the Samsung BD code, but also his cable code, plus learning and macros, and isn't as ugly as the Atlas.

Alternately, it can be loaded into the Atlas with a JP1.3 cable.

post #3534 of 3602 Old 06-15-2012, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

...isn't as ugly as the Atlas....

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder ;-) my house (and my back-up remote drawer) are full of atlases!
post #3535 of 3602 Old 06-15-2012, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I have a ton of atlases too. They're one of the few cheap backlit JP1 remotes you can find these days. I just never cared for the heft and the styling. Definitely an eye of the beholder thing.

Dabluenog,
I checked Best Buy and the price on that RCA is back up to $18. If you want an atlas with the Samsung code, I can load one up and send it to you pretty cheap. I can't speak for greeno, but he might be able to do the same. Let me know if you are interested. I have far more remotes than a sane person should have.

post #3536 of 3602 Old 06-16-2012, 07:10 PM

Does anyone have info regarding the procedure and code necessary to setup my Time Warner cable remote (Atlas OCAP model 1056) in location Rochester, NY to be used as a universal remote w/ my Samsung BD-P1600 BlueRay player. Time Warner Cable's online, phone & chat support all gave the same procedure that didn't work:

The 0199 code to work to power on the BD-P1600 but w/ only some of remote's functions. The play button doesn't work. the BD plays through the previews (fast forward works), but when the movie menu is displayed I can't select the play option.

Do you know if the samsung AA59-00600A remote (Samsung 5050 LED TV) can be used to control the BD-P1600? If so do you have the setup procedure & code.

I also have the CLIKR-5 (UR5U-8780L) remote provided by TWC. Using code 275 I'm able to power on/off the BD-p1600, but again it won't play (play can't be selected at movie menu). Any thoughts?

I'll be looking into the RCA RCRP05B remote from bestbuy tomorrow, but I was hoping to watch a BLURAY tonite.
post #3537 of 3602 Old 06-17-2012, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

It's no problem to add all the commands to the atlas now that you have a partially working code. Just follow the manual instructions for Advanced Codes in the Wiki link in my signature. The same procedure and codes work on the RCA. If you prefer not to use codes, the RCA can also learn. However if your new Atlas is a 1056B03, the procedure may not work. It's not possible to add individual commands to the CLIKR.

power 00018
0 00140
1 00016
2 00012
3 00019
4 00015
5 00017
6 00013
7 00146
8 00142
9 00144
channel up 00078
channel down 00143
exit 00108
menu 00081
display 00209
up arrow 00210
down arrow 00206
left arrow 00204
right arrow 00208
select 00211
play 00083
pause 00048
rewind 00080
fast fwd 00079
stop 00076
red 00238
green 00240
yellow 00236
blue 00243
skip+ 00078
skip- 00143
repeat 00237
eject 00014
audio 00239
bonusvideo 00044
cancel 00205
discmenu 00207
repeatA 00114
return 00077
subtitle 00241
titlemenu 00242

post #3538 of 3602 Old 06-25-2012, 08:35 AM

Firmware 2.21 is available up on the Samsung website (dated 6/11/12). Standard release notes "Improved specific BD title''s playback compatibility".

Anyone try it out yet? I'm always a little hesitant trying out new firmware when what I have is working for me. I haven't bought any new BDs lately either.
post #3539 of 3602 Old 06-25-2012, 05:08 PM

The release notes also include the following:

2. The latest YouTube video does not play.
3. Pandora hang up when playing in the ad

For whatever that's worth.
post #3540 of 3602 Old 06-26-2012, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post

The release notes also include the following:
2. The latest YouTube video does not play.
3. Pandora hang up when playing in the ad
For whatever that's worth.
That was for version 2.15
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung , Samsung Bd P1600 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Samsung Ln32a330 32 Inch 720p Lcd Hdtv , Xbox 360 Media Remote
Gear in this thread - P1600 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page