Forum Jump: 

post #511 of 3602 Old 06-14-2009, 05:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by atbear View Post

You're the second person I've seen say they've returned one 1600 for another and checked the serial number or got one from a different batch. Is there a way to compare or differentiate among serial numbers, and if so what numbers should we look for?

Thanks.

I have no idea what to look for as far as a good batch number. When I returned my first 1600, I just didn't want to get another from the same batch which may have been built with a faulty component. Most failures seem to be coming relatively early with this player. I am giving the new one a work out, but the jury is still out on the second 1600 player. So far, it is working great! I don't experience the heat build up that a few other have complained about. My BR player sits in a TV stand that is quite open both in the front and in the back. My TV room is in my basement where it is quite cool if not cold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 3602 Old 06-14-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avmaniak View Post

Anyway, I was watching the first episode of Dexter's first season. In the opening scene, we see him driving around town and on the left of the screen there was literally a chunk of pixels that weren't being decoded. I thought it was the TV, but then every other disc I tried didn't have any of that, and plus when the TV wasn't displaying any source (black screen), there wasn't any defective pixel whatsoever.

Why assume the problem resides with the player's playback quality, since the pixel problem is only observed with one disk.
It sounds more likely this could be a defective disk, unless you play this disk with another player and it works fine.
post #513 of 3602 Old 06-14-2009, 05:44 PM

Well my BD-P1600 has finally reached the point where it can no longer deal with the newer movie releases. The last two Blu-ray movies I watched (Grand Torino and Valkyrie) I had trouble with the player freezing. Hopefully they will come out with a new firmware release soon. Had similar issue with my Sony player which was why I replaced it with the Samsung.
post #514 of 3602 Old 06-14-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSUB View Post

Well my BD-P1600 has finally reached the point where it can no longer deal with the newer movie releases. The last two Blu-ray movies I watched (Grand Torino and Valkyrie) I had trouble with the player freezing. Hopefully they will come out with a new firmware release soon. Had similar issue with my Sony player which was why I replaced it with the Samsung.

This sounds like the problem I was having with my my first BD-p1600. It wasn't that way out of the box but appeared within a few weeks of ownership. I returned it for another and the replacement is working fine.
post #515 of 3602 Old 06-15-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSUB View Post

WTWIEDER is probably correct. I have played both Grand Torino and Valkyrie on my 1600 without any player freezes, so the problems you are having are most likely not tied to the firmware.
post #516 of 3602 Old 06-15-2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxjnorto View Post

Yeah, the PS3 is nuts. It's a great media player with one significant flaw. The fan. I got so annoyed with it, I put it in a kitchen cupboard on the other side of my home theater wall. You should hear it howl now. I have to leave the cupboard door open. I'm thinking of relocating it to a room down the hall now. I don't know how far the Bluetooth reaches.

Interesting solution; take a unit that needs airflow and stick it in a cupboard where the flow is non-existent. I wonder why the fan seems louder now...
post #517 of 3602 Old 06-15-2009, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by silly_walk View Post

Interesting solution; take a unit that needs airflow and stick it in a cupboard where the flow is non-existent. I wonder why the fan seems louder now...

I know... WTF are people thinking? Jebus.
post #518 of 3602 Old 06-15-2009, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Does anyone know if the BD-P1600 play MP3 audio files cd's? My 1500 wont just curious if it will. Thanks in advance.

mark
post #519 of 3602 Old 06-15-2009, 02:54 PM

I got this player a few weeks ago free with my Samsung UN40B6000. It seems to be working well. I have mostly used it for Netflix streaming. The picture quality appears to be on par with my LG BD300 for BR and streaming video. I wish both players had Pandora and YouTube. Seems like a F/W update could make it happen since that is what LG did to get YouTube on their player.

Those with streaming problems may want to check both their routers and switches. I had both replaced a few weeks ago. They were both working intermittently which made it hard to figure out that they were causing my connectivity problems. BTW, I've had lots of problems with Netgear routers and switches. Neither have lasted very long w/o problems. So, I won't buy their junk anymore. I've had lots of success with D-Link. I have 6 of their gigabit switches that have been working great for years.
post #520 of 3602 Old 06-16-2009, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwieder View Post

Why assume the problem resides with the player's playback quality, since the pixel problem is only observed with one disk.
It sounds more likely this could be a defective disk, unless you play this disk with another player and it works fine.

Yes, it played fine on another player, that's the problem...

I really hope a firmware update is coming soon.
post #521 of 3602 Old 06-16-2009, 07:05 AM

Occasionally, while doing NetFlix streaming, I see that the audio doesn't always sync perfectly with the video. It is more noticable on certain films than others, particularly with dialogue. I imagine it is a problem with NetFlix but I was wondering if it had anything to do with the setup of the player. Does audio syncronizing with the video have anything to do with chosing PCM or audio Bitstreaming? Whatever the default was on my player, I haven't touched. Frankly, I don't know the difference between these choices and whether I should change the default. Any help will be appreciated.
post #522 of 3602 Old 06-16-2009, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Occasionally, while doing NetFlix streaming, I see that the audio doesn't always sync perfectly with the video. It is more noticable on certain films than others, particularly with dialogue. I imagine it is a problem with NetFlix but I was wondering if it had anything to do with the setup of the player. Does audio syncronizing with the video have anything to do with chosing PCM or audio Bitstreaming? Whatever the default was on my player, I haven't touched. Frankly, I don't know the difference between these choices and whether I should change the default. Any help will be appreciated.

I see that also. I think it is a Netflix issue. As a matter of fact, you can "report a problem" with those titles on your Netflix page and one of the preset issues you can tic is audio syncing. I have done this several times when I have had the issue. It actually seems better now, but then again it could be coincidence.
post #523 of 3602 Old 06-16-2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubster View Post

I see that also. I think it is a Netflix issue. As a matter of fact, you can "report a problem" with those titles on your Netflix page and one of the preset issues you can tic is audio syncing. I have done this several times when I have had the issue. It actually seems better now, but then again it could be coincidence.

Is this preset something that fixes your personal audio syncing or does it just tell NetFlix about a bad movie file?
post #524 of 3602 Old 06-16-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:

Is this preset something that fixes your personal audio syncing or does it just tell NetFlix about a bad movie file?

Just reports the bad movie file to Netflix.

I've had pretty good luck with Netflix playback quality. Only fairly significant was the HD movie Flawless. Audio sync was fine, but video playback was very jerky, as if the frame rate was reduced. Seemed like an encoding problem. They didn't have that specific issue in the problem reporting so I just reported it as a general problem. At least I was able to watch the whole movie and still enjoyed it. Video quality otherwise was very good.

Just curious if someone could add this movie to their queue and confirm the jerky playback. I am sure it wasn't a bandwidth issue...no glitches or bandwidth issues on any other movies. I have 10/1 Mbps Uverse on a switched wired Ethernet connection behind a Tomato-firmware enabled hackable router. Works great!
post #525 of 3602 Old 06-16-2009, 07:32 PM

I just tried to watch Slumdog Millionaire in my pd1600, and it wouldn't load. The front of the player said 00:00 and the screen stayed black.

Is it a problem with the player do you guys think?
post #526 of 3602 Old 06-16-2009, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Can you play other DVDs in the player?
post #527 of 3602 Old 06-17-2009, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rehtonAesoohC View Post

I just tried to watch Slumdog Millionaire in my pd1600, and it wouldn't load. The front of the player said 00:00 and the screen stayed black.

Is it a problem with the player do you guys think?

Can you play other Blu-rays and DVDs? If so, you probably a bad disc. If not, your player is probably at fault, although the 1600 definitely needs new firmware. I myself can't wait for it.
post #528 of 3602 Old 06-17-2009, 07:14 AM

Quote:

Can you play other Blu-rays and DVDs? If so, you probably a bad disc. If not, your player is probably at fault, although the 1600 definitely needs new firmware. I myself can't wait for it.

Why do you feel the 1600 DEFINITELY need new firmware? Just because a given player can't play a title or two, doesn't mean there is a problem with the firmware. All mentioned titles play fine on my player, so does my player need a firmware update as well? I wouldn't think so.

With the loading problems being reported, if not an individual disk manufacturing problem, I would bet there is a mechanical, electrical, or an adjustment problem that needs to be fixed by a service technician. Some disks may have minor manufacturing errors in them, that a properly adjusted player can skip over and load anyway. Disk players that won't load marginal disks, are probably in need of some adjustment and aren't going to be helped by firmware. That's just my opinion. If the disk is bad enough, no player will be able to load it.

Unfortunately, the quality control on the these new Samsung players seems to be lacking. The same reports of loading issues are being occasionally mentioned in the BP-3600 thread as well. I am on my second Bp-1600 which is peforming flawlessly, much better than my first that had developed loading problems with most BR discs. I hope this replacement continues to work well. We'll see.
post #529 of 3602 Old 06-17-2009, 07:20 AM

Yes, all other blu-rays I have tried have worked so far.

I Am Legend
Pirates of the Caribbean 3
Superman Returns
Ocean's Eleven

Although when I tried to play the alternate ending to I Am Legend, it did the same thing - showed 00:00 on the front and wouldn't play.
post #530 of 3602 Old 06-17-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rehtonAesoohC View Post

Yes, all other blu-rays I have tried have worked so far.

I Am Legend
Pirates of the Caribbean 3
Superman Returns
Ocean's Eleven

Although when I tried to play the alternate ending to I Am Legend, it did the same thing - showed 00:00 on the front and wouldn't play.

I just watched "I am Legend" (alternate ending) 2 nights ago and it played without any glitches whatsoever. Since not everyone is experiencing problems playing a particular disk I doubt that it is a firmware problem. Maybe the laser tracking on some players is slightly off, I don't really know of course. At any rate I agree with wtwieder that Samsung may have quality control issues with these players.
post #531 of 3602 Old 06-17-2009, 09:40 AM

Whatever the reason there are decoding and reading problems with this player, it should be FIXED. A player should read ALL discs. All players get updated sooner or later and usually function better afterwards. It's time for Samsung to own up and fix what problem there is. Because there is obviously one. I'm not saying it's a bad player, but I've read too many complaints already and still there is no update in sight.
post #532 of 3602 Old 06-17-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:

Whatever the reason there are decoding and reading problems with this player, it should be FIXED. A player should read ALL discs. All players get updated sooner or later and usually function better afterwards. It's time for Samsung to own up and fix what problem there is. Because there is obviously one. I'm not saying it's a bad player, but I've read too many complaints already and still there is no update in sight.

I agree that if your player is having reading problems it should be FIXED.
Take your player back to your dealer and exchange it if you can. Most dealers will let you do that within 30 days of purchase. If you can't and your player is still under warranty, let Samsung fix it for you. When you return it for repair, be sure you include the disc(s) that aren't loading. DON't wait for a firmware upgrade. That isn't going to fix your problem since most BP-1600's aren't having the same loading problems.
post #533 of 3602 Old 06-17-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:

I agree that if your player is having reading problems it should be FIXED.
Take your player back to your dealer and exchange it if you can. Most dealers will let you do that within 30 days of purchase. If you can't and your player is still under warranty, let Samsung fix it for you. When you return it for repair, be sure you include the disc(s) that aren't loading. DON't wait for a firmware upgrade. That isn't going to fix your problem since most BP-1600's aren't having the same loading problems.

Oh no no, my player isn't having any reading problems. In fact it has read everything I've thrown at it, and loads really fast too. What I have noticed with it has to do with decoding, and from what I know so far a firmware would in fact resolve it. All in all, the player functions well, but like I said, the few decoding quirks I have noticed (and that I'm sure are player-related after testing the same discs in other players/TVs) can be corrected through FW. Anyway this is beyond the point. Most players do not work absolutely perfectly out of the box at first try, and so FW to the rescue. All companies do this, and Samsung will be no different. They are just very slow.
post #534 of 3602 Old 06-17-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:

Oh no no, my player isn't having any reading problems. In fact it has read everything I've thrown at it, and loads really fast too. What I have noticed with it has to do with decoding, and from what I know so far a firmware would in fact resolve it. All in all, the player functions well, but like I said, the few decoding quirks I have noticed (and that I'm sure are player-related after testing the same discs in other players/TVs) can be corrected through FW. Anyway this is beyond the point. Most players do not work absolutely perfectly out of the box at first try, and so FW to the rescue. All companies do this, and Samsung will be no different. They are just very slow.

Most people with problems aren't complaining about messed up pixels; rather they ARE complaining about loading issues, which occur in some players and not in others. This is a quality control problem. My only other complaint with the BP-1600 has been its poor upscaling, something I noticed in the two players I have had. Both samples were distinctly inferior in that regard to the Samsung DVD-1089p9, which is a dedicated upscaling DVD (alone) player ($69). I believe Firmware might help the upscaling performance of the BP-1600, but I dont' expect to see Samsung address this in firmware updates. DVD upscaling isn't most people's concern who buy this player and certaintly it isn't as important with this player as is its Blue Ray peformance.

I doubt what you have been noticing with messed up pixels on one or two disk titles, is a decoding issue that is fixable by new firmware, since other people aren't having the same issue with those disks in their BP-1600, unless the rest of us missed seeing those decoding errors, In any case, if decoding errors aren't a frequent complaint, how would Samsung know to fix the firmware, even if it could be improved.
post #535 of 3602 Old 06-17-2009, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

I mostly use Netflix instant downloads and Pandora so I'm afraid I may be missing poor BD performance in mine since I'm guessing mine was one of the first batch shipped. I just don't rent a lot of movies and the ones I've been getting from Netflix in the mail are only availible on DVD (Sopranos and Entourage, never watched them on tv so I'm catching up for a few years worth)

Anyway has anyone who has exchanged noticed a different firmware in the new units they've received? Or is there a group of serial numbers that are bad? I'm sure at some point I'll be watching more BD and I don't want to find out mine is bad and out of warranty!

To answer the question I'm sure is coming of why I bothered to buy a BD player at all is I like to be able to stream Netflix. My son got sick of me stealing his Xbox 360 so I figured I'd better get something. If Roku had Pandora I'd have just gotten one of them but I bought a 1600 at Best Buy thinking I'd try it and see (30 day return) and fell in love with Pandora hooked right to my HT system...
post #536 of 3602 Old 06-17-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:

most people with problems aren't complaining about messed up pixels; rather they are complaining about loading issues, which occur in some players and not in others. This is a quality control problem. My only other complaint with the bp-1600 has been its poor upscaling, something i noticed in the two players i have had. Both samples were distinctly inferior in that regard to the samsung dvd-1089p9, which is a dedicated upscaling dvd (alone) player ($69). I believe firmware might help the upscaling performance of the bp-1600, but i dont' expect to see samsung address this in firmware updates. Dvd upscaling isn't most people's concern who buy this player and certaintly it isn't as important with this player as is its blue ray peformance.

I doubt what you have been noticing with messed up pixels on one or two disk titles, is a decoding issue that is fixable by new firmware, since other people aren't having the same issue with those disks in their bp-1600, unless the rest of us missed seeing those decoding errors, in any case, if decoding errors aren't a frequent complaint, how would samsung know to fix the firmware, even if it could be improved.

ok.
post #537 of 3602 Old 06-18-2009, 06:22 AM

Anyone rent The Spirit on Netflix? I got it yesterday and tried playing it. I had the BD Live settings to "Allow Any". The first screen that came up asked me if I wanted to update the BD Live disc software and I selected "yes". It downloaded and continued loading. Had to skip 6 previews to get to the disc menu. It loaded fine but when I tried to play the movie I got audio-only, no video. Powered off and on the player and tried again but this time it wouldn't load disc menu. It did show a loading screen with a dark woman silhouette that fills with red as it loads. However it wouldn't load the menu past that. Finally I cleared the stored BD Data on the 2GB flash drive, power cycled and when the disc prompted me to download software, I selected "no". Of course now the disc loads fine except for a 3-4 sec freeze/pause on the disc menu, but the movie played fine. It appears the updated BD Live data made the disc unplayable until I deleted it.

The movie was so wierd/bad that I didn't even finish watching it. Just curious if anyone else has experience with this movie on this player.
post #538 of 3602 Old 06-18-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasanth B View Post

Anyone rent The Spirit on Netflix? I got it yesterday and tried playing it. I had the BD Live settings to "Allow Any". The first screen that came up asked me if I wanted to update the BD Live disc software and I selected "yes". It downloaded and continued loading. Had to skip 6 previews to get to the disc menu. It loaded fine but when I tried to play the movie I got audio-only, no video. Powered off and on the player and tried again but this time it wouldn't load disc menu. It did show a loading screen with a dark woman silhouette that fills with red as it loads. However it wouldn't load the menu past that. Finally I cleared the stored BD Data on the 2GB flash drive, power cycled and when the disc prompted me to download software, I selected "no". Of course now the disc loads fine except for a 3-4 sec freeze/pause on the disc menu, but the movie played fine. It appears the updated BD Live data made the disc unplayable until I deleted it.

The movie was so wierd/bad that I didn't even finish watching it. Just curious if anyone else has experience with this movie on this player.

I actually the same issue on my bd1500, i have both units, it must be something with the data thats downloaded if its happening on a 1600 and 1500
post #539 of 3602 Old 06-18-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon summit View Post

I mostly use Netflix instant downloads and Pandora so I'm afraid I may be missing poor BD performance in mine since I'm guessing mine was one of the first batch shipped. I just don't rent a lot of movies and the ones I've been getting from Netflix in the mail are only availible on DVD (Sopranos and Entourage, never watched them on tv so I'm catching up for a few years worth)

Anyway has anyone who has exchanged noticed a different firmware in the new units they've received? Or is there a group of serial numbers that are bad? I'm sure at some point I'll be watching more BD and I don't want to find out mine is bad and out of warranty!

To answer the question I'm sure is coming of why I bothered to buy a BD player at all is I like to be able to stream Netflix. My son got sick of me stealing his Xbox 360 so I figured I'd better get something. If Roku had Pandora I'd have just gotten one of them but I bought a 1600 at Best Buy thinking I'd try it and see (30 day return) and fell in love with Pandora hooked right to my HT system...

I did not notice any difference in the firmware with my second unit even though it was from a different batch.

Since you must have a NetFlix subscription in order to stream Netflix, why not just have them send you a few DVD's to see that these load. Better yet, pay $3 more a month and get them to send you BR discs. The BR discs seem to be more difficult to load and play properly. In this way you will see if there is a problem or not before the 30 days expire. Or borrow a few discs from a friend or take them out from your local library.
post #540 of 3602 Old 06-18-2009, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

I used to get BD disks from Netflix and the few I got worked fine but it sounds like that is pretty hit and miss as far as that goes.

I do get DVDs from Netflix and theyt work fine and look ok on my 52" Sony 52W4100. I should add the BD back on for $4 a month but like I said before I've been watching a lot of Sopranos and Entorage which are only on DVD so I dropped the BD since I wouldn't be using it. Four bucks is four bucks. I'll add it back later when I get the Soprano kick out of my system!

I guess I was mostly curious to see if anyone has seen the firmware number change between units. Is there more than one version out or are they all the same?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung , Samsung Bd P1600 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Samsung Ln32a330 32 Inch 720p Lcd Hdtv , Xbox 360 Media Remote
Gear in this thread - P1600 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page