Official Samsung BD-P1600 Owners/master thread - Page 46 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1351 of 3602 Old 10-15-2009, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'd try swapping out the disc to confirm whether the problem is with the player or the media.

I had to go through 3 copies of Disc three of Planet earth before I found one that wasn't defective (and that was playing it on my PS3).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 3602 Old 10-15-2009, 11:57 AM

Liked: 10
So was the mkv and mp4 support not added to the 1600 but added to the 3600 and 4600 models? Or did they just not include this in any of th models for the U.S. players?
post #1353 of 3602 Old 10-16-2009, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Blockbuster is now working on the 1600
post #1354 of 3602 Old 10-16-2009, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

I guess it started yesterday.
post #1355 of 3602 Old 10-17-2009, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny_w View Post

I had similar freezing and pausing and nutty behavior issues with my P1600, so I took it back. Got an LG BD370 and couldn't be happier.

Was your problem with ST:TMP, or another movie?

Right now, this is the only movie that gives the player fits. It plays perfectly fine in my PS3 (will check another player as well), so it could very well be the combination of disc and BD-P1600.

This player is well over its return period (bought in May). I'll keep trying the disc in other players. I just have a hard time believing it's a bad disc when it plays perfectly in the PS3.

Thanks all!
post #1356 of 3602 Old 10-17-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enchntr View Post

Was your problem with ST:TMP, or another movie?

Right now, this is the only movie that gives the player fits. It plays perfectly fine in my PS3 (will check another player as well), so it could very well be the combination of disc and BD-P1600.

This player is well over its return period (bought in May). I'll keep trying the disc in other players. I just have a hard time believing it's a bad disc when it plays perfectly in the PS3.

Thanks all!

No, the movies were Rosemary's Baby (dvd), Borderline (dvd), and some others that I don't recall.
post #1357 of 3602 Old 10-18-2009, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I got my second BD menu lockup yesterday when I popped in the "Monsters vs. Aliens" disc I rented. Last time it happened was a little over a month ago when I first installed the 1.04 firmware. So, I guess this lockup happens, but not too often since it took over a month for the second one to occur.

Has anyone experience any menu lockup/freezing with the newer Firmware 2.04? Also, how is that firmware? I haven't heard many complaints about it here, so it must be ok. I was thinking about giving it a whirl.
post #1358 of 3602 Old 10-18-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraffle View Post

Has anyone experience any menu lockup/freezing with the newer Firmware 2.04? Also, how is that firmware? I haven't heard many complaints about it here, so it must be ok. I was thinking about giving it a whirl.

2.04 is working great for me. The only problem I'm having now (aside from Watchmen and its goofy audio glitch) is the Snow White issue I mentioned earlier. I put in the disc, it loads, the counter reads 00:00, then nothing else happens. I have to hit Stop on the remote, then hit play again and it starts up just fine. It's bizarre. But it's Disney so I'm not surprised.

All my other BDs and DVDs, as well as Pandora and Netflix, work beautifully so far.
post #1359 of 3602 Old 10-18-2009, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZeppelin View Post

2.04 is working great for me. The only problem I'm having now (aside from Watchmen and its goofy audio glitch) is the Snow White issue I mentioned earlier. I put in the disc, it loads, the counter reads 00:00, then nothing else happens. I have to hit Stop on the remote, then hit play again and it starts up just fine. It's bizarre. But it's Disney so I'm not surprised.

All my other BDs and DVDs, as well as Pandora and Netflix, work beautifully so far.

Does the Snow White issue happen every time? That's an unusual problem.

I actually bought the "Pinocchio" BD last weekend and it played flawlessly. So, not all Disney BDs have issues with this player. I'm thinking of getting "Snow White" as well since the $10 coupon at Amazon is still good.
post #1360 of 3602 Old 10-19-2009, 06:29 AM

Quote:

Does the Snow White issue happen every time? That's an unusual problem. . .

I've put the disc in about four or five times now and it has happened every time.

I can't recommend the disc enough though. It's beautiful.
post #1361 of 3602 Old 10-19-2009, 08:57 AM

I just bought a BD-P1600 as my first Blu-ray player. I specifically bought it because it said it supported playing video files from USB, and because Samsung touts AVCHD support, which I figured would perfectly complement my new Sony HDR-CX520V camcorder.

I've got the latest firmware update, 2.04. I've got it hard-wired into my home network, and the update came down the first time I turned on the unit. I do not have anything plugged into the rear USB slot, and I'm using a brand-new 4GB thumbdrive formatted FAT32 in the USB front slot.

I've tried putting mpg, m4v, m2ts, avi and divx files of varying bitrates and codecs on the USB drive, but I'm having no luck at all. I can play mp3 and jpg files from USB, so obviously the drive is being recognized and read by the BD-P1600, but the video files don't even show up. The player just tells me "no files are found" or something to that effect when I choose the "Video" menu option.

I see people saying they've got this working, but I sure can't see how. I am pretty technical, and I'm usually the one people come to when they can't figure this stuff out. But I'll admit it, I'm completely stumped at this point.

Could someone possibly post a short video file that does work on their BD-P1600, simply so that I can test it on mine? Perhaps I've got a faulty unit or something. Seems unlikely, but I'm just thoroughly confused.

I'm especially motivated to get my AVCHD (m2ts) files to play. If I need to convert them to another format for viewing, I'm open to doing so, but so far I can't play any format whatsoever. Otherwise, I'd probably be better off just getting a PS3, which can stream raw m2ts files from a network share. I love the Samsung, but I'm probably not keeping it if I can't get this working.
post #1362 of 3602 Old 10-19-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddlerTN View Post

I just bought a BD-P1600 as my first Blu-ray player. I specifically bought it because it said it supported playing video files from USB, and because Samsung touts AVCHD support, which I figured would perfectly complement my new Sony HDR-CX520V camcorder.

I've got the latest firmware update, 2.04. I've got it hard-wired into my home network, and the update came down the first time I turned on the unit. I do not have anything plugged into the rear USB slot, and I'm using a brand-new 4GB thumbdrive formatted FAT32 in the USB front slot.

I've tried putting mpg, m4v, m2ts, avi and divx files of varying bitrates and codecs on the USB drive, but I'm having no luck at all. I can play mp3 and jpg files from USB, so obviously the drive is being recognized and read by the BD-P1600, but the video files don't even show up. The player just tells me "no files are found" or something to that effect when I choose the "Video" menu option.

I see people saying they've got this working, but I sure can't see how. I am pretty technical, and I'm usually the one people come to when they can't figure this stuff out. But I'll admit it, I'm completely stumped at this point.

Could someone possibly post a short video file that does work on their BD-P1600, simply so that I can test it on mine? Perhaps I've got a faulty unit or something. Seems unlikely, but I'm just thoroughly confused.

I'm especially motivated to get my AVCHD (m2ts) files to play. If I need to convert them to another format for viewing, I'm open to doing so, but so far I can't play any format whatsoever. Otherwise, I'd probably be better off just getting a PS3, which can stream raw m2ts files from a network share. I love the Samsung, but I'm probably not keeping it if I can't get this working.

I never tried it when I had my P1600 but I understood that the player only supported music and photos over the usb port. I returned mine for other reasons, so I can't test it.
post #1363 of 3602 Old 10-19-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:

I got my second BD menu lockup yesterday when I popped in the "Monsters vs. Aliens" disc I rented. Last time it happened was a little over a month ago when I first installed the 1.04 firmware. So, I guess this lockup happens, but not too often since it took over a month for the second one to occur.

I'm running 2.04 and experiencing a problem that seems to have begun with that version. After about 20 minutes of play of either a DVD or Netflix stream, the BD-P1600 display will flash, playback aborts, and the tv (PN50B650) display shows the message "Any-Net device is disconnecting". The Any-Net disconnection cause the tv to power off. This problem is repeatable with both DVD's and Netflix streaming. I have worked around it by turning off the Any-Net feature in the setup menu for the BD-P1600.

I can't say with certainty that this is firmware related but it did begin with the upgrade to 2.04.
post #1364 of 3602 Old 10-19-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econoline View Post

. . .The Any-Net disconnection cause the tv to power off. This problem is repeatable with both DVD's and Netflix streaming. I have worked around it by turning off the Any-Net feature in the setup menu for the BD-P1600. . .

Based on the number of Anynet-related problems I saw reported on this forum I disabled mine immediately after setting up my player. I didn't want to have to worry about leaving my TV on while listening to Pandora or other weird issues such as that.
post #1365 of 3602 Old 10-19-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:

Based on the number of Anynet-related problems I saw reported on this forum I disabled mine immediately after setting up my player. I didn't want to have to worry about leaving my TV on while listening to Pandora or other weird issues such as that.

i am running my 1600 with firmware 2.04. i also have it connected to my samsung tv and have the anynet feature enabled i have not experienced either the problem with the flashing display or aborted playback. Honestly i have to say that i have has no issues with the anynet.

i'm wondering those who are having anynet problems are using tv's other than samsung and the two pieces of equipment just arent completely compatable
post #1366 of 3602 Old 10-19-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp34gsh View Post

i am running my 1600 with firmware 2.04. i also have it connected to my samsung tv and have the anynet feature disasbled, i have not experienced either the problem with the flashing display or aborted playback. Honestly i have to say that i have has no issues with the anynet.

i'm wondering those who are having anynet problems are using tv's other than samsung and the two pieces of equipment just arent completely compatable

Did you mean to say you have Anynet enabled? Otherwise of course you wouldn't have any issues with it.

If you do have it enabled and it works well I may give it a go. It would be nice to have my TV auto-switch to the proper HDMI input when I fire up my 1600. But I don't want my 1600 to go off if I turn off the TV.
post #1367 of 3602 Old 10-19-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:

Did you mean to say you have Anynet enabled? Otherwise of course you wouldn't have any issues with it.

If you do have it enabled and it works well I may give it a go. It would be nice to have my TV auto-switch to the proper HDMI input when I fire up my 1600. But I don't want my 1600 to go off if I turn off the TV.

To get the most from Anynet the player must be plugged directly into the tv, in which case you lose any possibility of DD/DTS to a receiver through the tv because the optical out from the tv does not pass this information (at least my PN50B450 doesn't and I don't think that any Samsung tv's do). And I believe that if you do use Anynet and turn off the tv it will also turn off any connected Anynet devices (but I don't know this for a fact).

It seems absurd to me that tv manufacturers add all of these neat tricks like Anynet but then disable DD/DTS pass-through. It would be nice to be able to have both.
post #1368 of 3602 Old 10-19-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny_w View Post

. . . And I believe that if you do use Anynet and turn off the tv it will also turn off any connected Anynet devices (but I don't know this for a fact). . .

Does it work the other way around too? If I finish watching a BD but want to watch satellite, will the TV go off when I turn off the 1600 forcing me to turn it back on after the satellite receiver is on?

The audio problem doesn't bother me because I have HDMI running straight to my TV and audio going to my receiver via TOS.
post #1369 of 3602 Old 10-19-2009, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does it work the other way around too? If I finish watching a BD but want to watch satellite, will the TV go off when I turn off the 1600 forcing me to turn it back on after the satellite receiver is on?

When you turn off the player and have Anynet enabled, your TV will automatically switch to the TV input (aka OTA). At least, that's what it did with my TV. I have Anynet disabled on my player because for some reason, it doesn't work all the time. Not sure if it's my player or my HDMI cable, but I really didn't care for that feature anyway. I don't mind switching inputs manually on my TV.
post #1370 of 3602 Old 10-19-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:

i just editted my post, i meant ihave it enabled. I do not have problems with it, it works like it is supposed to. I can turn on my 1600 and itll auto switch the tv to the correct input, also turn the tv on if the tv happens to be off, but it also will turn the blu ray off if i turn the tv off, so it does do that. I should also mention i do have it hooked straight to the tv, i currently do not have a surround sound system.
post #1371 of 3602 Old 10-19-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:

The audio problem doesn't bother me because I have HDMI running straight to my TV and audio going to my receiver via TOS.

no if you turn the 1600 off it will not turn off your tv, it will take it back to the main input
post #1372 of 3602 Old 10-19-2009, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I can't recommend the disc enough though. It's beautiful.

Yeah, a lot of people are saying the same thing. I decided to go for it and purchase it because once Amazon's coupon expires, I will regret it for the rest of my life. However, I combined it with a pre-order and got free shipping, so I won't receive it until next month. When I receive it, I'll let you know if I have the same issue.
post #1373 of 3602 Old 10-19-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:

I am using v.2.04 and have had no issues, including Snow White Blu Ray loading without any glitches.
Its a beautiful movie, but IMHO not the equal of Disney's next big animated feature, Pinochio. Still, if you want to see the first animated feature film, you have to own this one.
post #1374 of 3602 Old 10-22-2009, 11:25 AM

Would you guy recommend the samsung bd-p1600 over the panasonic dmp-bd60k? I have decided to purchase one of. These but am really stuck as to which one to buy. We watch tons of dvd/blurays so it will be getting lots of use. I am replacing a sony 350 that barely lasted us a year. Thanks
post #1375 of 3602 Old 10-22-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahedgpe View Post

Would you guy recommend the samsung bd-p1600 over the panasonic dmp-bd60k? I have decided to purchase one of. These but am really stuck as to which one to buy. We watch tons of dvd/blurays so it will be getting lots of use. I am replacing a sony 350 that barely lasted us a year. Thanks

I haven't played with the panasonic, but I have tried out the samsung and would not recommend it as a sturdy player. I had the impression that it was very cheaply built and would break if I sneezed on it. I took it back and got an lg bd370 that seems (to me at least) to be much sturdier, although still not a tank like my old pioneer dvd player from several years ago.
post #1376 of 3602 Old 10-22-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:

I have the samsung bdp1600 , and it works fine for me, the last firmware update that they issued seems to be really well done .

there are some bad players that some people have purchased, i have had this thing since april, and it has played very well. there was an issue with a coulpe of the firmware updates , but those have been fixed.

i dont know anything about the panny, but i have been very satisfied with the 1600
post #1377 of 3602 Old 10-22-2009, 12:27 PM

I, too, have been very happy with the 1600 now that the firmware issues seem to have settled down. I looked at the panny also but the additional Netflix and Pandora features of the 1600 made it much more attractive to me.
post #1378 of 3602 Old 10-22-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp34gsh View Post

I have the samsung bdp1600 , and it works fine for me, the last firmware update that they issued seems to be really well done .

there are some bad players that some people have purchased, i have had this thing since april, and it has played very well. there was an issue with a coulpe of the firmware updates , but those have been fixed.

i dont know anything about the panny, but i have been very satisfied with the 1600

So you havent had any issues doing firmware updates? I have seen user reviews on several different websites and the samsung 1600 tends to get 3.5/5 stars most of the time...Did this have to do with the player not working correctly or more with wifi/firmware issues?
post #1379 of 3602 Old 10-22-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:

So you havent had any issues doing firmware updates? I have seen user reviews on several different websites and the samsung 1600 tends to get 3.5/5 stars most of the time...Did this have to do with the player not working correctly or more with wifi/firmware issues?

i dont have the wifi so i can not speak for that, as far as firmware updates, i do mine via USb and have not had problems doing so. some people have bricked their players doing firmware updates, but thats on all players not just samsung, also the last firmware update version 2.04 fixed problems from the 2.03 firmware update,

i agree with the 3.5 stars or maybe even up to four, my biggest complaint is the upconversion of standard dvd is not as good as the toshiba hd dvd player that i have, so i thinkthat could be part of it, i like its featrures, the netflix, pandora, now it has youtube and blockbuster. i like the player, but if you go through this forum you are going to see others that had issues, bad players, ans what not, if i was going to buy another player i would buy this one again

i still some occasional problems with using the bookmark feature but for me thats not that big of an issue. its not a flaw free blu ray player.
post #1380 of 3602 Old 10-22-2009, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have a BD-P1590 which is essentially a 1600 and uses the identical FW updates. I've had no problems - none - updating from v1.03 to v2.04 using a flash drive in the front USB port.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung , Samsung Bd P1600 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Samsung Ln32a330 32 Inch 720p Lcd Hdtv , Xbox 360 Media Remote
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page