Sony BDP S-350 vs. S-360 and S-560 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 03-02-2009, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Sony line show info on CNET indicates 2 new blu-ray players this summer. The S-560 has wireless capability. It is not clear how the S-360 differs from the S-350 since the Precision Drive and HD upscaling features mentioned in the press release are already in the S-350 and S-360. Blu-ray live features do not interest me much and firmware updates can still be done without wireless support. What I do care about is video and audio quality. The press release does not state any differences there. Is there likely to be any difference in the chips used in the new models that would improve video and audio quality?

ericlhyman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-02-2009, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Since no-one has them yet its hard to say what parts it has. The only difference I know of for the new models is the addition of you tube and other online applications.

My guess is that the s360 is a s350 with the online applications added. Time will tell.

Just enjoy HD in whatever form you can (Sat, Cable, D-VHS, OTA, HD DVD, or BD).
post #3 of 12 Old 03-02-2009, 08:56 PM

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10185734-1.html

Quote:

Sony also announced the step-down BDP-S360, which lacks Wi-Fi and the front-panel USB port. Not many details were released on the BDP-S360, except that it will include onboard decoding for Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio and feature a $300 price tag when it comes out this summer.

post #4 of 12 Old 03-02-2009, 09:04 PM
AKA
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Spackman View Post

Since no-one has them yet its hard to say what parts it has. The only difference I know of for the new models is the addition of you tube and other online applications.

My guess is that the s360 is a s350 with the online applications added. Time will tell.

Any reason those apps can't be included in a firmware update to the S550?

I wouldn't be suprised to see this ship with the Picasa/Flickr connectivity that was demoed on the S550 at CES.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-02-2009, 09:45 PM
TRT
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
post #6 of 12 Old 03-02-2009, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA View Post

Any reason those apps can't be included in a firmware update to the S550?

I wouldn't be suprised to see this ship with the Picasa/Flickr connectivity that was demoed on the S550 at CES.

WAs told at CES that the hardware is different for it.

Just enjoy HD in whatever form you can (Sat, Cable, D-VHS, OTA, HD DVD, or BD).
post #7 of 12 Old 03-03-2009, 07:19 AM

What will the BDP-S360 do that BDP-S350 can't ??
post #8 of 12 Old 03-03-2009, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by googlegod View Post

What will the BDP-S360 do that BDP-S350 can't ??

From this article:

"Sony also announced the step-down BDP-S360, which lacks Wi-Fi and the front-panel USB port. Not many details were released on the BDP-S360, except that it will include onboard decoding for Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio and feature a $300 price tag when it comes out this summer."
post #9 of 12 Old 03-03-2009, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechunks View Post

From this article:

"Sony also announced the step-down BDP-S360, which lacks Wi-Fi and the front-panel USB port. Not many details were released on the BDP-S360, except that it will include onboard Receiver for Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio and feature a $300 price tag when it comes out this summer."

The if the A/V receiver does Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio decoding though the hdmi , why would I need the sony to do decoding is it any better ? I'm I missing something ?
post #10 of 12 Old 03-03-2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlegod View Post

The if the A/V receiver does Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio decoding though the hdmi , why would I need the sony to do decoding is it any better ? I'm I missing something ?

Some people have older receivers that can't decode the new audio formats through bitstreaming. It seems you have a newer receiver that can, so the internal decoding is not an option you need.
post #11 of 12 Old 03-03-2009, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullclipfink View Post

Some people have older receivers that can't decode the new audio formats through bitstreaming. It seems you have a newer receiver that can, so the internal decoding is not an option you need.

I'm looking for a new receiver , But I wasn't sure if it would do 7.1 cause the sony 350 would be the limiting factor, But now I see it would not be a problem..Thanks

What are good Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD A/V receivers that match up well with a 350, I'm not trying to start a war here , mind you , just a few good lower end units that work well with the sony 350 . The $500 range would be a good starting point ..
Thanks
post #12 of 12 Old 03-10-2009, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

I've got the S350 now and a receiver that is capable of decoding everything so the S360 wouldn't be worth it for me.

I could move my wifi wireless router and cable modem to the living room and hook it directly to my S350 but never have bothered because space is something I'm really short of in my HT set up and for the occasional firmware upgrade (I'm one behind now and really don't care!) it doesn't seem like all that big of a deal.

What do you guys see coming down the road with Blu ray live? The S560 has wifi which would be nice if I ever start using the Blu ray live but right now I just don't know that much about it and from what I've read there isn't much to know right now. I guess I can always break down and move modem/wireless router if the day comes that I want Blu ray live.

Is there any reason to upgrade from the S350 to the S560 in my case? Right now I think I'd be better off holding on to the S350 for a few more years of improvements and then upgrade to a unit that really offers some real improvement.
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page