AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGood View Post

Picked up a 560 from BB today......

That's interesting considering August is the release date.
post #333 of 1365 Old 07-25-2009, 09:08 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRT View Post

That's interesting considering August is the release date.

yes it is, they had two of them sitting on one of their upper shelves......so far so good.
post #334 of 1365 Old 07-25-2009, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
had some time with the bdp-s560 i picked up in best buy yesterday.. compared to my ps3 the picture quality meets and possibly surpasses it, but not by much. however the audio far exceeds the ps3. both units are hooked into my onkyo 805 with hdmi out to my tv

boot up time is fantastic, which was the number one thing I was worried about, and the user interface is quite pleasing since it is similar to that of the interface of the ps3 and my sony tv, however the lack of eject button on the remote is a little weird, but I use a universal remote so that won't be an issue for me. pretty happy with the unit overall.. seems like a solid piece.

happy to answer any questions I can for anyone that is questioning the unit

My Home Theater
post #335 of 1365 Old 07-26-2009, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGood View Post

Picked up a 560 from BB today......

Save your receipt. I expect this to go around $275 and I bet Best buy will have it on sale for $299 within 30 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobC1983 View Post

had some time with the bdp-s560 i picked up in best buy yesterday.. compared to my ps3 the picture quality meets and possibly surpasses it, but not by much. however the audio far exceeds the ps3. both units are hooked into my onkyo 805 with hdmi out to my tv

boot up time is fantastic, which was the number one thing I was worried about, and the user interface is quite pleasing since it is similar to that of the interface of the ps3 and my sony tv, however the lack of eject button on the remote is a little weird, but I use a universal remote so that won't be an issue for me. pretty happy with the unit overall.. seems like a solid piece.

Thanks for the info does it have a web browser? Can you surf internet like PS3.
post #336 of 1365 Old 07-26-2009, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobC1983 View Post

Harmony remote?
post #337 of 1365 Old 07-26-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vahid View Post

Save your receipt. I expect this to go around $275 and I bet Best buy will have it on sale for $299 within 30 days.

Good advice......I had a 10% coupon so it wasn't bad out the door. The bottom line is that I have been looking for something that was reasonable across the board for around $300 and this caught my eye. The speed/load seems very acceptable thus far.
post #338 of 1365 Old 07-26-2009, 01:03 PM

Sony rewards had my unit arrive Friday and I had it installed in about 5 mins.

Was dissappointed in the dumbed down remote control compared to the S350 and S550. This new one is half the size and does NOT include Eject, Mute or backlighting. Why no 1GB memory stick this time Sony, that was included in both of my S350 and S550 BD players??

Also, the PQ for blu-ray seems to be on par with the S550, though I can't tell a difference with the audio between the two, connected to my Samsung thru HMDI. Waiting for Sony's DN1000 for my audio needs.

I have yet to try any SD DVD's in the new unit, so not sure yet how well they compare there.
post #339 of 1365 Old 07-26-2009, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by vahid View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeewing View Post

Harmony remote?

no browser that I have found, that would be a nice addition

and I use a universal remote mx-980

My Home Theater
post #340 of 1365 Old 07-26-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:

Harmony remote?

With Harmony remote, just include the S360 in your setup (has the "eject" IR). Then use a learning remote laying around the house to transfer to S560 field. I have asked Logitech by e-mail (Sunday) to include the S360 code in the S560 setup. Ergonomically better to have the eject button on the remote. Toss the remote that comes with the S560.
post #341 of 1365 Old 07-27-2009, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real View Post

With Harmony remote, just include the S360 in your setup (has the "eject" IR). Then use a learning remote laying around the house to transfer to S560 field. I have asked Logitech by e-mail (Sunday) to include the S360 code in the S560 setup. Ergonomically better to have the eject button on the remote. Toss the remote that comes with the S560.

What a waste. I guess they figure everyone is buying remotes, which is inexcusable....
post #342 of 1365 Old 07-27-2009, 12:35 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I guess they figure everyone is buying remotes

... or aren't as picky.
post #343 of 1365 Old 07-27-2009, 12:48 PM

Picked up 560 today at Best Buy, first impressions are very favorable... I only spent about an hour with it so far but the picture seems to be noticeably improved over my Panny bd-55 and a little faster too. Leaps and bounds over my old Sammy 1400. WiFi works remarkably well.

I had originally planned to wait for the BDP-S1000ES, but at double the price and an uncertain release date. Cheap and impatient won out.
post #344 of 1365 Old 07-27-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:

What a waste. I guess they figure everyone is buying remotes, which is inexcusable....

Harmony (Logitech) remotes, particularly in a multi-use system, are very useful. Once the user becomes acclimated to "activities" rather than "devices", these things can be set up to simplify the HT, music, TV, photo viewing, etc. experience. One button sets up the system for each activity. At this point, I cannot imagine not having one (I use a 670, which I got "free"--credit card points--and find no need to "upgrade" to one of their more expensive models).
post #345 of 1365 Old 07-27-2009, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 428
how's the load time (not power-up/start-up time)? I heard from someone at Sonystyle Canada that these units have 6-sec load time (quick-play mode) where you can set the player to skip all the Java and menus and go straight to the movie (by searching the largest .mts file and play it).

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #346 of 1365 Old 07-27-2009, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Harmony (Logitech) remotes, particularly in a multi-use system, are very useful. Once the user becomes acclimated to "activities" rather than "devices", these things can be set up to simplify the HT, music, TV, photo viewing, etc. experience. One button sets up the system for each activity. At this point, I cannot imagine not having one (I use a 670, which I got "free"--credit card points--and find no need to "upgrade" to one of their more expensive models).

Yeah, I've got the Harmony One, which does everything I want. I just don't understand how a simple eject button is not included in a remote control. I don't recall ever seeing a player without one.
post #347 of 1365 Old 07-27-2009, 09:08 PM

While I was setting this unit up, I looked at some (2) of my old Sony remotes and neither one had an eject button. May be a Sony thing.
post #348 of 1365 Old 07-28-2009, 03:19 AM

I've heard horror stories about long load times for BDs. I have nothing to compare the BDP-S360 against, except my DVD players, and yeah, it's longer, but not significantly so IMHO. So I guess that means that its load time is pretty fast, eh?
post #349 of 1365 Old 07-28-2009, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

I've heard horror stories about long load times for BDs. I have nothing to compare the BDP-S360 against, except my DVD players, and yeah, it's longer, but not significantly so IMHO. So I guess that means that its load time is pretty fast, eh?

I have Sony's 1st BD player, the BDP-S1. Load times can be pretty long for Blu-ray disks. I then bought the BPD-S350 for my family room, and with the "Quick Start" enabled, load times are much quicker. I think the downside of the quick start is that the unit is always drawing power.
post #350 of 1365 Old 07-28-2009, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

While I was setting this unit up, I looked at some (2) of my old Sony remotes and neither one had an eject button. May be a Sony thing.

Interesting. Which models?
post #351 of 1365 Old 07-28-2009, 12:41 PM

Hi all:

I read through this thread looking for information, but found little for my specific situation, so:

I am new to the BluRay scene and have a couple quick questions. I recently purchased a Sony KDL-40V5100 for my secondary theater and decided to add a BR player to get full use of it. I was given the choice between a S360 and S550 at the same price. The Sales rep said he would advise taking the
S550 even though it is an older model, so I took his advice since I have the option to return it within 30 days for the S360 if I change my mind. Any advice from the more knowledgeable as to which is the better choice?

I am also curious just what the memory card provides. I have only purchased one BR movie (The Hunt For Red October) until I can see if this is an expenditure I am ready to undertake at this time (from what little I have seen so far, I will keep the S550 or get the S360). Under the data folder, it shows a folder for the movie, but I haven't seen yet just what that adds to the movie or disk options. Or did I just select an older movie that does not provide a lot of features of BR disks?

TIA for any suggestions/information as I move into the next level of home theater entertainment. Amazing how far we have come since I was a lad!
post #352 of 1365 Old 07-28-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I've got the Harmony One, which does everything I want. I just don't understand how a simple eject button is not included in a remote control. I don't recall ever seeing a player without one.

+1. The Harmony One is absolutely amazing.

I also can't understand why they didn't include an eject button. My old Sony VCR even has an eject button on the remote. While it isn't that big of a deal (you need to get up anyway), you have to wonder what they were thinking.

Despite the remote, I have been pleased with my S360.
post #353 of 1365 Old 07-28-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderNDirt View Post

Hi all:

I read through this thread looking for information, but found little for my specific situation, so:

I am new to the BluRay scene and have a couple quick questions. I recently purchased a Sony KDL-40V5100 for my secondary theater and decided to add a BR player to get full use of it. I was given the choice between a S360 and S550 at the same price. The Sales rep said he would advise taking the
S550 even though it is an older model, so I took his advice since I have the option to return it within 30 days for the S360 if I change my mind. Any advice from the more knowledgeable as to which is the better choice?

I am also curious just what the memory card provides. I have only purchased one BR movie (The Hunt For Red October) until I can see if this is an expenditure I am ready to undertake at this time (from what little I have seen so far, I will keep the S550 or get the S360). Under the data folder, it shows a folder for the movie, but I haven't seen yet just what that adds to the movie or disk options. Or did I just select an older movie that does not provide a lot of features of BR disks?

TIA for any suggestions/information as I move into the next level of home theater entertainment. Amazing how far we have come since I was a lad!

The only benefit you'd get out of the S550 is the analog outputs (used in cases where you have a receiver that does not accept HDMI connections). If that doesn't apply to you, then it's a toss up, though I would personally probably choose the S360 since it is a newer model.

The external memory is for BD live which is a set of bonus features. I have the memory, but I've honestly never done anything with BD live because I hear that there really isn't anything particularly interesting on BD live at this point.
post #354 of 1365 Old 07-28-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:

Interesting. Which models?

I think they were CD or SACD players (555ES maybe). I have 3 or 4 stored in a building that is packed. Would be hard to get to now.
post #355 of 1365 Old 07-29-2009, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think they were CD or SACD players (555ES maybe). I have 3 or 4 stored in a building that is packed. Would be hard to get to now.

No problem. Just curious. Thanks!
post #356 of 1365 Old 07-30-2009, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk21 View Post

The only benefit you'd get out of the S550 is the analog outputs (used in cases where you have a receiver that does not accept HDMI connections). If that doesn't apply to you, then it's a toss up, though I would personally probably choose the S360 since it is a newer model.

The external memory is for BD live which is a set of bonus features. I have the memory, but I've honestly never done anything with BD live because I hear that there really isn't anything particularly interesting on BD live at this point.

You also get 1Gb usb memory and a better, lighted remote. Also a better performing player (IMHO). I'd get the 550.
post #357 of 1365 Old 07-30-2009, 05:23 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I just got the S360 in exchanged from my Panny BD60 and I also bought a Sony sound bar. This is the 1st time I ever bought a sound system and I noticed that you have to connect the TV to the AMP via HDMI and then connect the Amp to the BD player via HDMI as well. So my point is the player is not connected directly to the TV. In theory, doesn't that degrade somewhat from the PQ of the player since it's not connected directly to the TV?

Thanks
post #358 of 1365 Old 07-30-2009, 05:48 AM

Actually, there shouldn't be any degradation, since HDMI is a digital connection. In reality, there could be some complexities (but not degradation), due to HDCP, but I didn't encounter any.
post #359 of 1365 Old 07-30-2009, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortiz View Post

I just got the S360 in exchanged from my Panny BD60 and I also bought a Sony sound bar. This is the 1st time I ever bought a sound system and I noticed that you have to connect the TV to the AMP via HDMI and then connect the Amp to the BD player via HDMI as well. So my point is the player is not connected directly to the TV. In theory, doesn't that degrade somewhat from the PQ of the player since it's not connected directly to the TV?

Thanks

Was the sound bar the HTCT-100? I've got that one with a Sony BDP-S350 player setup in the master bedroom via HDMI to a 32 inch Samsung with no degradation whatsoever, just awesome PQ and awesome sound (IMHO).

HD Junkie
post #360 of 1365 Old 07-30-2009, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
The Watchmen menu transitions (slide-ins) look terrible on the BDP-S360. Plays the movie and special 'with the director' version perfectly though.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Sony Bdp S360 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player Accessory Kit , Sony Bdp S560 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony , Sony Bdv T11 Home Theater System
Gear in this thread - S560 by PriceGrabber.com