Sony BDP-S360 and BDP-S560 Blu-ray players (and BDP-BX2) - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-15-2009, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Last week we got a flyer about the newer player the N460 and was all gung-ho about it. However instead of some internal improvements (chips, etc...) it's more geared about online services which we don't use.

Our current player is last years BB Insigna model that does not do LIVE so I'm looking to upgrade. My main concern is PQ both BD and upscale DVD's. I run a optic line from a older Denon (no HDMI switching). We just got a new set, a 52" Z5100 and would like to stay with Sony. Is the S360 a pretty solid choice with the new firmware or should I hold off and wait? I'm seeing this player for around $150.00 and that's not bad at all. My only concern is some say the PQ has a bit of softness to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2009, 12:21 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymick View Post

I ended up upgrading to v.007. Update took flawlessly; we played Iron Man w/o issue.

I cannot get BD-Live (of the IM disc) to work despite having the setting enabled and having just updated the FW.

Is yours working?

Unfortunately I did not try BD-Live before updating lol. The BD-Live link in the disc menu appears to be grayed-out (like in a computer program when an option is visible but unavailable)
Old 11-17-2009, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by danpass View Post

I cannot get BD-Live (of the IM disc) to work despite having the setting enabled and having just updated the FW.

Is yours working?

Unfortunately I did not try BD-Live before updating lol. The BD-Live link in the disc menu appears to be grayed-out (like in a computer program when an option is visible but unavailable)

Do you have at least 1GB of memory in the form of a USB stick installed in the back of the player?
Old 11-17-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post

Do you have at least 1GB of memory in the form of a USB stick installed in the back of the player?

No. I was reading the manual recently. Your post basically confirms that indeed that's needed.

Which is dumb.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Well, I agree and also find it rather sad that Sony doesn't bother to provide the required memory; with the option for us to add to the memory if so needed. Especially on the 560, which they provide included wireless N capability, seemingly to make it easier for us to use BD-live, but yet skimp on memory. If they were going to provide internal memory on any of their models, one would think they would have put it in this one.........
Old 11-17-2009, 06:43 PM

How much grain should there be in the BX2 ?

It rather obvious in Iron Man and Star Trek.

I'm not talking about film grain.

Compared to my HD-A2 it's pretty grainy
Old 11-18-2009, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Just got the s560 from Sears, it was $250 off the their $299 list when bought with a Bravia tv. I figured it was a no-brainer to add a blu-ray player and get it for $50 bucks but now I am starting to learn maybe why; like it doesn't offer netflix streaming which would have been nice....

Is there any chance Sony will upgrade the firmware to make that happen or am I mistaken can it be done?
Old 11-18-2009, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by swak View Post

Just got the s560 from Sears, it was $250 off the their $299 list when bought with a Bravia tv. I figured it was a no-brainer to add a blu-ray player and get it for $50 bucks but now I am starting to learn maybe why; like it doesn't offer netflix streaming which would have been nice....

I'll never understand why people buy a BD player but then want to watch the lower resolution video Netflix streaming provides.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by swak View Post

Is there any chance Sony will upgrade the firmware to make that happen or am I mistaken can it be done?

I think since they just brought out the 460 they will probably want you to upgrade to that. Since they made the PS3 work with netflix via a disc I can only hope they will do this for all their older bd live players. I have a s350 and it works great but no netflix and I don't want to have to buy another player just for netflix.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmac29 View Post

I think since they just brought out the 460 they will probably want you to upgrade to that. Since they made the PS3 work with netflix via a disc I can only hope they will do this for all their older bd live players. I have a s350 and it works great but no netflix and I don't want to have to buy another player just for netflix.

Thanks for the reply, hope Sony will give us a firmware upgrade or maybe I will keep the 560 in the box and try to upgrade it to a 460 when and if Sears gets it. But I guess for $50 bucks I can put this in my daughters room...so on the hunt for A DEAL on the 460!
Old 11-18-2009, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

i just got my 360 and on blu ray it looks great on my sanyo z2000 projector...what do you guys think of the upscaling on standard dvd? is it better then the toshiba a2? i think it is but maybe because the sony is new........thanks
Old 11-18-2009, 09:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post

I'll never understand why people buy a BD player but then want to watch the lower resolution video Netflix streaming provides.

We don't. We only stream what's not available on BD, which is quite a bit, sadly. Netflix HD streams, while obviously not as good as BD, are still better than DVD and much cheaper and more convenient than buying or renting a disc.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:38 AM

I've recently connected the S360 to my Sharp 40LE700UN HDTV and the output from the HDMI-SPDIF to my Home Theater System seem muted whereas the SPDIF directly to my HTS seems fine.

Anyone experience this issue?
Old 11-19-2009, 02:48 PM

I got an S560 for myself and one for a gift recently. I don't have another BD player to compare it to and only played 5-10 DVDs so far, but it seems quite nice.

Wifi connnection is very useful and easy to set up. Configuration options plenty. I don't mind the whole front opening up, although it's a little weird. I also like the ability to change the display to bright, dark, or off.

Speed is ok, I guess. I don't have another player to compare it to, but it's not instantaneous. Mostly, it doesn't bother me except when I push the eject button, sometimes it takes way longer than it should need to open up. I can't imagine what it's doing in those 20ish seconds.

The other quirk is that there are a few menu options, like main menu or pop-up menu or home menu. Depending on what the DVD is doing (main movie, logos, warnings, screensaver) one or more of these menus will be disabled. While this is not unexpected in some cases, other cases I find myself trying all three menu buttons just to get something to react. This could be a disc issue and not a player issue.

One thing I'm surprised not to see here at AVS are recommended player settings. Are there no customization options for this player that are worth playing with?
Old 11-19-2009, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondeast View Post

i just got my 360 and on blu ray it looks great on my sanyo z2000 projector...what do you guys think of the upscaling on standard dvd? is it better then the toshiba a2? i think it is but maybe because the sony is new........thanks

Oppo= Best SD DVD PQ>End of the Story...

Home Theater Aficionado
Old 11-19-2009, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by threeply View Post

I've recently connected the S360 to my Sharp 40LE700UN HDTV and the output from the HDMI-SPDIF to my Home Theater System seem muted whereas the SPDIF directly to my HTS seems fine.

Anyone experience this issue?

TV's are the VIDEO vehicles; amps and and A/V receivers job is to deliver sound with ALL due respect that is. To be honest I started to make the same mistake just to snap to a quick judgment and realize that it doesn't accomplish anything particularly if you have a high quality A/V receiver. IMHO the coaxial digital audio output is the best option if you don't have an HDMI equipped A/V receiver.

Home Theater Aficionado
Old 11-21-2009, 06:30 AM

Last week I bought a Sony BDP-S360, my first blu-ray player. Most discs play well, but obviously EU-region discs don't.
My regular DVD player (OPPO) was easy to unlock for different regions. Unfortunately, even after extensive searching on the internet, I cannot find a way to make this player region free.
Any suggestions?
Old 11-21-2009, 01:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by telcoman View Post

Last week I bought a Sony BDP-S360, my first blu-ray player. Most discs play well, but obviously EU-region discs don't.
My regular DVD player (OPPO) was easy to unlock for different regions. Unfortunately, even after extensive searching on the internet, I cannot find a way to make this player region free.
Any suggestions?

I would expect the S350 region-free hack to work on the 360 too. Keep in mind it only works for DVD, not BD. I've seen several reports of success on European players. Not sure about US players. The hack using a one-for-all remote is posted several places, including HERE. Newer remotes may use code 20533 instead of DVD 0533. The magic key in that post is the setup or P key in many remotes. If you have a JP1 remote and cable, the hack is much, much easier. Just load the S350 region-free upgrade from the JP1 site.
Old 11-21-2009, 05:19 PM

Holy cow... I couldn't believe the piles of S360s stacked up at Best Buy... and about a hundred dollars less than I paid for it...
Old 11-21-2009, 06:59 PM

can u watch video files via usb on the 560 like u can on a ps3? the best buy guy told me yes but when i tried it in store, i could only do picture/music like my 55xbr8
Old 11-21-2009, 08:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Old 11-21-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

Holy cow... I couldn't believe the piles of S360s stacked up at Best Buy... and about a hundred dollars less than I paid for it...

Yeah. I feel the same. Paid $220 for it and I thought that was pretty cheap. I guess I was wrong.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I just got in on the Fry's deal for an S360. They had stacks of them on the floor, as well.

I'll tell you one good reason somebody would get a br player, even though they already have a ps3...it's because it is not uncommon for the br laser to go kaput on a ps3 after 1-2 yrs of use. Hence, it was either a choice to pay $150 to Sony to repair it with potentially another crummy laser (which they don't even trust could last beyond 90 days), or seek another venue to regain hi-def movie playback. So I ended up with a new S360. I really wanted to go a different brand for obvious reasons, but the price was right (hint: less than the cost of a ps3 repair). I'm still less than pleased to give Sony the money for it. What can I say?...today I feel like a whore. The sensation will pass, I suppose. Now if the laser in this unit goes out in 1-2 yrs, I can pretty well say I will be through with Sony for anything that involves lasers...

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
Old 11-24-2009, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Anyone have issues trying to update firmware recently with the s360?

I finally got around to setting up my 46z5100 and s360 last night after the new TV stand came in.

When I was updating the s360 firmware over the wired network, I would get to the 9/9 on the display (not the VUP */9 on the player) and I would get an error regarding connection status. I tried several times and eventually it worked after a number of retries.

Has anyone had issues with Sony's update servers recently or is this something on my end.

I have had computers hooked up on these ports and never had issues with them before, but I have connected and disconnected several times at these wall ports.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just updated mine successfully. No glitches ut it took about 10 minutes in total. The time to download the update was faster than the update process itself.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:18 AM

I know people describe themselves as "newbies" but I fall into a category that should be saved for beings from the planet Trafalmador. button...cord...box...disk that's about my level of understanding.
Yesterday I picked up the last bundle deal at my local Sears. Sony KDL-46V5100 and an S560 BD... came to an even 1K with tax.

I have never played any Blu-Ray media. I have watched it at friends house, but never at home. I don't play games. I DO watch a ton of Netflix, and have a good number of SD DVD's that I watch. I don't even have HDTV service into my house, yet. I need help. Do I hold on to the S560 and pray that Sony publishes firmware that will allow me to stream Video content, do I return the entire bundle and try again later to find a more suitable set-up, Ebay the S560 and buy a PS3 or LG 390 unit???? This all could be buyers remorse, since the TV is still out in my van and I am wondering what I've gotten myself into.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
relax, hook up the blu ray player to your new TV with an HDMI cable, go on netflix and start receiving your movies in blu ray format at no additional cost, and enjoy your stuff. If you hate it, return it next week.

My Home Theater
Old 11-25-2009, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR.DTS View Post

Last week we got a flyer about the newer player the N460 and was all gung-ho about it. However instead of some internal improvements (chips, etc...) it's more geared about online services which we don't use.

Our current player is last years BB Insigna model that does not do LIVE so I'm looking to upgrade. My main concern is PQ both BD and upscale DVD's. I run a optic line from a older Denon (no HDMI switching). We just got a new set, a 52" Z5100 and would like to stay with Sony. Is the S360 a pretty solid choice with the new firmware or should I hold off and wait? I'm seeing this player for around $150.00 and that's not bad at all. My only concern is some say the PQ has a bit of softness to it.

BD Live is over-rated, and personally, I wouldn't buy a new BD player for it if your current one is working and you're happy with it.

ISF Calibrator
Samsung PN64F8500
Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320
Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobC1983 View Post

relax, hook up the blu ray player to your new TV with an HDMI cable, go on netflix and start receiving your movies in blu ray format at no additional cost, and enjoy your stuff. If you hate it, return it next week.

I agree. Netflix streaming isn't as good as BD. Might take a day or two longer this way, but the increased picture quality is worth it.

ISF Calibrator
Samsung PN64F8500
Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320
Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:47 PM

I'm buying this model as my first BD player... wish me luck.

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Sony Bdp S360 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player Accessory Kit , Sony Bdp S560 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony , Sony Bdv T11 Home Theater System
Gear in this thread - S560 by PriceGrabber.com