Sony BDP-S360 and BDP-S560 Blu-ray players (and BDP-BX2) - Page 22 - AVS Forum
First ... 20  21  22 23  24  ... Last
Blu-ray Players > Sony BDP-S360 and BDP-S560 Blu-ray players (and BDP-BX2)
mdavej's Avatar mdavej 01:07 PM 12-04-2009
FWIW, my old G router has plenty of bandwidth for netflix streaming. But B definitely won't cut it.

George5D's Avatar George5D 01:03 PM 12-06-2009
Glad to hear you got it for the posted in store price of $118!! My wife and I picked up one On11-28-09 for the same in store price of $118 bucks with out issues at the checkout counter.. Now the question do I open the box 12-6-09? I mean is this a good Blue Ray player? I have a high end model Vizio 55" LCD 1080P, it will be viewed on and am looking for some good info on how well it works before I open the box up and set it up.. If it's so so unit I would rather just take back the sealed box to wallfart within the 30 days and get a better unit.. If anyone can point me to some posts with some much needed info so I can make up my mind that would be great.. But for the $118 bucks I thought it would be best we just got it and decided if it was a good idea later.. After all they did have some other Blue ray units there with out 1080p for much more money.. The price was so good I thought it was a mistake to tell you the truth.. INFO Please!! Thanks! George

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Abear View Post

Yesterday I was inside a large national retailer near my home, (rhymes with smallfart) buying a 32' LCD TV for my living room when I noticed a full pallet of Sony S360's in the aisle underneath a sign that said $118. I already have a Sony S300 but a guy can never have enough Blu-ray players right? I limited myself to only one but when I went to check out the scan showed $198! I told the cashier about the sign and his response was to scan the same barcode again and lo and behold it said $198 again! He was obviously stumped and called for help from the electronics department. A call which of course was immediately ignored. I asked if I could go back to electronics and check out there and he nodded his head and I left him valiantly trying to figure out how to clear out all my stuff he had already rang up. When they scanned me at the electronics cash register it too showed $198. Luckily the pallet of players with the 3'x4' sign saying $118 was only 5' from us!....which I happily pointed out to this very bored and disinterested cashier. After calling managers and assistant managers (and Santa I think) and much head scratching they started changing out the price on the sign to say $198. I was all set to start bitching when the manager told me I could have the one in my basket at the previously advertised $118. Merry Christmas to me!

deano86's Avatar deano86 05:15 PM 12-06-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by George5D View Post

Glad to hear you got it for the posted in store price of $118!! My wife and I picked up one On11-28-09 for the same in store price of $118 bucks with out issues at the checkout counter.. Now the question do I open the box 12-6-09? I mean is this a good Blue Ray player? I have a high end model Vizio 55" LCD 1080P, it will be viewed on and am looking for some good info on how well it works before I open the box up and set it up.. If it's so so unit I would rather just take back the sealed box to wallfart within the 30 days and get a better unit.. If anyone can point me to some posts with some much needed info so I can make up my mind that would be great.. But for the $118 bucks I thought it would be best we just got it and decided if it was a good idea later.. After all they did have some other Blue ray units there with out 1080p for much more money.. The price was so good I thought it was a mistake to tell you the truth.. INFO Please!! Thanks! George

All I can say is that my 560(same as the 360 except it has wireless built-in) has been fantastic! I read about other makes and models having problems playing certain discs.... people downgrading to an earlier firmware for playability issues. The 360/560's just play and do it well. If there are firmware updates needed, Sony does it quickly. About the only thing that would maybe make you look elsewhere is if you needed wireless built-in or wanted some of the internet streaming options that other makes provide. If not, then open that bad boy up and use it!
saumil's Avatar saumil 06:28 AM 12-07-2009
Quote:

I asked the same question a couple of posts ahead of yours. No one really answered. I bought the Best Buy brand Insignia the same time for 99. I haven't open any yet.
mdavej's Avatar mdavej 07:33 AM 12-07-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by saumil View Post

I have a dilemma between Best Buy brand Insignia BRDVD3 and Sony BDP-S360. Not interested in Wifi or Netflix. Both seems have internet connectivity.

Any help, comparison. TIA.

Quote:

I've owned both the 350 (essentially identical to the 360) and the insignia (wired version). I could not tell any difference in PQ and AQ between them. The insignia loads much faster, but the remote range is not as good as the sony, and it doesn't have discrete on/off commands for a universal remote. I got the insignia for the netflix streaming and USB video playback. The sony does neither. Those are the main reasons I prefer the insignia. If those aren't considerations, I guess I'd go with the sony. It's a little slower, but you have no remote issues, and there are more settings to tweak.
saumil's Avatar saumil 09:44 AM 12-07-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

I've owned both the 350 (essentially identical to the 360) and the insignia (wired version). I could not tell any difference in PQ and AQ between them. The insignia loads much faster, but the remote range is not as good as the sony, and it doesn't have discrete on/off commands for a universal remote. I got the insignia for the netflix streaming and USB video playback. The sony does neither. Those are the main reasons I prefer the insignia. If those aren't considerations, I guess I'd go with the sony. It's a little slower, but you have no remote issues, and there are more settings to tweak.

Thanks mdavej.
Netflix is not important for me. I may be wrong, but I think Sony S360 does have a USB port at the back, it's not in the front.
saumil's Avatar saumil 12:23 PM 12-07-2009
Based on my research:

Sony S360 USB Drive does not play/show movies of pictures. Good for extended memory for BD-Live only.

USB Drive of Insignia BRDVD3 Plays certain movie extensions, MP3s and plays slide show for pictures.
mdavej's Avatar mdavej 01:49 PM 12-07-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by saumil View Post

Based on my research:

Sony S360 USB Drive does not play/show movies of pictures. Good for extended memory for BD-Live only.

USB Drive of Insignia BRDVD3 Plays certain movie extensions, MP3s and plays slide show for pictures.

You are correct on all counts. The insignia also has some undocumented capabilities like xvid encoded avi and mts file playback. Also plays files from USB hard drives.
xbobx's Avatar xbobx 04:43 PM 12-07-2009
i bought a bdp s360, couldnt get it to work with hdmi got splash screen then it went black and flickered, figured hdcp handshake issue, is it possible for the firmware updates to fix this issue?

i took it back but still want a bluray player to replace my upconverting one

thanks
beller's Avatar beller 05:39 PM 12-07-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbobx View Post

i bought a bdp s360, couldnt get it to work with hdmi got splash screen then it went black and flickered, figured hdcp handshake issue, is it possible for the firmware updates to fix this issue?

That sounds like a bad unit to me. I bought an s360 last week and had no boot problems prior to upgrading to the latest firmware. Sounds like a classic "out-of-the-box" failure. A new unit should be fine. If not I'd look at the hdmi cable.
KO Abear's Avatar KO Abear 07:04 AM 12-08-2009
Quote:

Watched about 10 movies so far on mine and love it! Loads much faster than my old S300 and no HDMI handshake issues with my Onkyo 706 or my panny 4k. Picture and sound are both pristine. One of the best deals I have ever gotten in my home theater.
mdavej's Avatar mdavej 08:25 AM 12-08-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbobx View Post

i took it back but still want a bluray player to replace my upconverting one

thanks

Could also be you had the player in 1080p/24 mode and your display only supports 1080p/60, especially if it's more than 2 or 3 years old. If you get another one, hook up via composite first, do a firmware update, and set the video to the most conservative settings (or auto) to start.
Sxrd55's Avatar Sxrd55 03:43 PM 12-08-2009
I got the S-360 a few weeks back as a back up to my PS3 which turned into a brick for the 2nd time this week! But anyways I can not get the S-360 to show that its sending out DTS to my receiver. My receiver is a Marantz SR-7001 and I have tried every setting in the players menu and nothing. However when I played a DVD that was in DTS the DTS logo on my reciver then came on but one a Blu Ray is inserted no DTS logo. Anyone know what else I can try? Any firmware updates for these units?
zavsforum's Avatar zavsforum 11:07 PM 12-08-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by swak View Post

Sony and Netflix recently released a disk for the PS3 that enables the PS3 to stream Netflix. I have this disk and tried the disk in my s560 and it looked promising, then I got an error saying no external memory found. I haven't had a chance yet to try it with external memory (usb flash drive in rear) installed. Anybody else tried this? If Sony can do this with a disk for the PS3 why not for their BD Live players?

Update: I just inserted a 4gb flash drive in the rear of the BD player and tried the PS3 Netflix disk again. The external memory requirement apparently was satisfied, IT THEN TRIED TO CONNECT to NETFLIX, but it said cannot connect now try again latter or try on your computer. Now I wonder if the registration process is what's missing?

Certainly appears to me this could work if Sony allowed it!

Dear SWAK,

Did it work? Thanks for trying. Sony mislead us since model number appears higher than N-460. Very frustrating.

I bought as an combo and looks like very difficult to even return it :-(

- bob.
swak's Avatar swak 06:31 AM 12-09-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by zavsforum View Post

Dear SWAK,

Did it work? Thanks for trying. Sony mislead us since model number appears higher than N-460. Very frustrating.

I bought as an combo and looks like very difficult to even return it :-(

- bob.

NO it seems like we need a registration number to enter on netflix's website, I already have a netflix account and have not tried the disk in my PS3 (because I use a TIVO now) when I go to the netflix site I get a popup to REGISTER MY PS3. HOPE SONY WILL HELP SOON. (Yeah I also got mine with the BRAVIA TV combo).
cmiller10's Avatar cmiller10 11:54 AM 12-10-2009
I own the Sony bdp-s560 blu-ray player with a Sony Bravia kdl-40xbr9.

The problem I'm having deals with the blu-ray picture quality. The image looks very soap-operaish, giving it a more natural look to the image. The TV has the setting Cinemotion which is meant to give it this look, but I have it turned to off with Motionflow set to standard to help correct jerky picture quality during camera movements.

With the understanding that it might not be my TV that is creating this issue, do any of you know if there is a setting on my blu-ray player that could affect this?
George5D's Avatar George5D 12:15 PM 12-11-2009
So as soon as I unpack the Sony BDP-S360 I should plug in my internet connection from my modem and upgrade the firmware in the S360? Is this right? Any other setup ideas? What is BD live? Thanks! George
zavsforum's Avatar zavsforum 07:27 PM 12-11-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by swak View Post

NO it seems like we need a registration number to enter on netflix's website, I already have a netflix account and have not tried the disk in my PS3 (because I use a TIVO now) when I go to the netflix site I get a popup to REGISTER MY PS3. HOPE SONY WILL HELP SOON. (Yeah I also got mine with the BRAVIA TV combo).

I called and informed Sony support. They asked me to call on Monday to speak with customer relations.
Will try to get replacement for N-460.
mx6bfast's Avatar mx6bfast 09:46 PM 12-11-2009
Bought a 4 gb jump drive from Best Buy for $15 today for the BX2. Only on-line deal but $.99 shipping.
colombianlove41's Avatar colombianlove41 03:07 PM 12-12-2009
does this decode sound like the ps3? is it comparable?
George5D's Avatar George5D 03:57 PM 12-12-2009
What is BD-live anyway? S360
colombianlove41's Avatar colombianlove41 04:05 PM 12-12-2009
Quote:

BD-Live! is pecial features and content that is available online like when you see live commentaries and such....
swak's Avatar swak 04:58 PM 12-12-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by zavsforum View Post

I called and informed Sony support. They asked me to call on Monday to speak with customer relations.
Will try to get replacement for N-460.

Good luck, please also ask if there is anyway to get a registration # that would allow using the PS3 disk or if they plan to upgrade firmware in the future to fix the issue. Remember the s560 has wireless and n460 doesn't have built-in Wi-Fi so you either need to run an ethernet or get a wireless bridge. best would be to get the S560 enabled for Netflix.
odree's Avatar odree 08:21 PM 12-12-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb311 View Post

Just picked up a BX2 (S360) since I got a great deal on it, and when I went to hook it up to my older Panasonic TH-50PX50U plasma via HDMI I get a picture when the unit first powers up but then the picture goes out after a few seconds and never comes back. I tried updating the firmware on both the TV and S360 but still no luck. I tried the unit on a different Toshiba TV with HDMI and it works fine. I know my Panasonic TV's HDMI input works cause I use it with the PS3 and it works fine. Does anyone else have this issue? I'm hoping its a handshake issue and I'll pick up a better cable and see if it works.

Just picked up S360 yesterday. I could not play blu ray movie through HDMI. I encountered the same problems you described. I tried 2 different brands of HDMI and no luck. I didn't try updating firmware on the TV and S360. I can only watch blue ray movied thru component cables.
gakon's Avatar gakon 05:15 PM 12-13-2009
Quote:

For most people, a waste of time. YMMV
dookie611's Avatar dookie611 06:03 PM 12-13-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by THUNDER8268 View Post

Just to answer my own question here. Just for the record, yes it can. Regarding the eject button matter which some find very very interesting. Seems the S360 can be ejected by a remote, just not its own. If you have a older Sony blue ray player remote the S360's tray will open, if you push that remotes eject button. A little bird told me, without reservations. Gives new meaning to "backward compatible", does it not.

Question, THUNDER8268 - with regard to the LPCM over HDMI that you said the BDM-360 will support, is this "forceable" (unlike in the previous model year S550, where it would only do so if the receiver told it to)? I'm actually shopping around for a BD player that will force-decode the lossless audio formats and send LPCM to my Marantz receiver so that I can apply post-processing to the audio (EQ, etc). Currently, my BDP-S550, upon handshaking with my receiver, finds out that the receiver will accept the bitstream and therefore never tries to decode - and there's no way to force it in the player. Sony has offered to take a look at my player and see if there might be something they can "custom" build for me in a software build - for a price, of course, and a price that no doubt will exceed the value of the unit.

thanks in advance,
dookie611
MatthewH's Avatar MatthewH 07:05 PM 12-13-2009
I bought my BX2 a couple of weeks ago and finally got it set up to play upstairs in a spare room. I have it hooked up via HDMI to an onkyo 505 set to pass through. I have no problem playing blu rays, however, when i put in a regular dvd, the tv (samsung 1080p) won't stay locked on to the signal and i am getting dropouts every 2-3 seconds for 5-10 seconds at a time. I looked thru my tv and blu ray player settings but have no idea whats going on.
badahab's Avatar badahab 08:55 PM 12-13-2009
I picked a BDP-S360 the other day from hastings. I was a little worried about doing the fw upgrade after reading this thread, but I went ahead and it completed without a problem. 1080p/24 works fine through a Yamaha RX-V665 to a Pioneer KRP-500m.

-Sean
golazo's Avatar golazo 11:34 PM 12-13-2009
Anyone experience a lot of freezes during Terminator Salvation? I had to clean
the blockbuster rental disk, and then it played well for a while and then it
froze half dozen times for 20-30 secs, before continuing play.

I also saw some pixelation once or twice that looked to be caused by AACS
stuff. I've seen this before on my Lite-On BDVD drive in my HTPC, but now I have the standalone S360, I thought it would all go away.

I also had upgraded the firmware from the web just before watching Staten Island last week, and SI only froze one or twice.

Watching TS was annoying as hell with the freeze-ups! It was never this
bad on my Toshiba HD-DVD (A1 and A3).

Thanks.
mfreeman73's Avatar mfreeman73 10:36 AM 12-14-2009
I purchased the 560 last week and I'm loving it so far except for one thing. I have it hooked up to an Onkyo 605 through HDMI and for a while I was bitstreaming (by picking the DIRECT option) and on the receiver it would show up as DolbyTrueHD and DTS-HD MA which was nice to finally see on my receiver.

I decided I'd rather the player decode and send out to my receiver as LPCM so I could let the receiver use Audissy and also so I could get secondary sound. I then setup the BP player to use MIX rather than DIRECT. When I do this and I hit DISPLAY on the bp remote, under DolbyTrueHD movies, it will show that format is playing. Under Uncompressed PCM movies it will show that is playing. But, under DTS-HD MA movies, it just shows as DTS. The receiver still shows it receiving a PCM signal, so it seems the player is doing the decoding, but it seems it's only decoding a DTS signal instead of the DTS-HD signal.

Which leads me to several possible conclussions:

1. The player doesn't actually decode DTS-HD MA signals internally, but only sends them out as bitstream.
2. There is a bug that is not letting it internally decode the DTS-HD MA signal.
3. There is a bug that is not letting it display the correct signal on the DISPLAY button. Therefore it is showing it playing DTS when in fact it really is playing the DTS-HD MA signal.
4. I have something setup wrong.
5. It's none of these and is something else.

And before anyone says, "Just let the receiver decode" yes, I know I could do that. That isn't the point of this post. If the player can decode DTS-MA and send out over LPCM then I want to know how to do that.

So, does anyone have any idea? Or have you run into this problem?
Tags: Blu Ray Players , Sony Bdp S360 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player Accessory Kit , Sony Bdp S560 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony , Sony Bdv T11 Home Theater System
First ... 20  21  22 23  24  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop