Sony BDP-S360 and BDP-S560 Blu-ray players (and BDP-BX2) - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1364 Old 12-23-2009, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I picked up the BX2 today as a present for the holidays BECAUSE it includes an HDMI cable and backlighted remote.

The person (a very good friend) I got it for has essentially lived with a rather poor combo DVD/VHS player even though they have an HDTV. I couldn't stand it anymore when I visited (often) so that takes care of that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1364 Old 12-23-2009, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robo123 View Post

Can anyone explain this?

Did you make and picture setting adjustments which are available by hitting "options" on the remote? Maybe you did or didn't with the S360 is the reason the picture between the two players doesn't look the same.
post #723 of 1364 Old 12-24-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post

Did you make and picture setting adjustments which are available by hitting "options" on the remote? Maybe you did or didn't with the S360 is the reason the picture between the two players doesn't look the same.

I haven't changed any of the default settings, but I'm starting to think it might just be in my head. After staring at the screen for long periods of time trying to find a difference, I think I just created a difference in my mind. Thanks for the replies everyone.
post #724 of 1364 Old 12-24-2009, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
delivered today. I saw one at Best Buy yesterday but they had none in stock and BB had removed it from their listings. I got one from Mac Mall as they had guaranteed overnight delivery. This was purchased to replace the BDP-S350 that I plan on selling on cl for $100. I wanted to buy this player for the built in Wi-fi, I was tired of having to unplug my ethernet cable from my 360 console to the player to get firmware updates and BD live content periodically. Had no problem setting it up and updating the player. I chose to have it play normally and not the quick start as I would rather save money and don't like the idea of the player being always on so to speak. Compared to the 350 it's nice I think loading is slightly faster and video and audio on par so far. Streaming would be nice but if I want to do that I can use my 360, I just wanted to be able to use w-ifi with my BD player and not have to use my PS3 since I already wore out the drive on that one. Only complaint is the lack if a open close button, but I knew that before purchasing it.
post #725 of 1364 Old 12-24-2009, 06:56 PM

Just bought the 360 as an upgrade to my ancient DVD player. I have an HDMI cable to the TV in order to watch 1080P resolution, and an optical cable to my AVR which does not accept audio over HDMI. When watching movies, I want the audio to go only to the AVR and not to the TV. I set the audio priority to "optical/coax" but it's sending audio to both the AVR and the TV.

If anyone out there has this unit and a similar HDMI(video) and optical(audio) setup, please advise the correct settings to send audio only to the AVR and not to the TV.

Thanks in advance,
Hap
post #726 of 1364 Old 12-24-2009, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaplessNoob View Post

Just bought the 360 as an upgrade to my ancient DVD player. I have an HDMI cable to the TV in order to watch 1080P resolution, and an optical cable to my AVR which does not accept audio over HDMI. When watching movies, I want the audio to go only to the AVR and not to the TV. I set the audio priority to "optical/coax" but it's sending audio to both the AVR and the TV.

If anyone out there has this unit and a similar HDMI(video) and optical(audio) setup, please advise the correct settings to send audio only to the AVR and not to the TV.

Thanks in advance,
Hap

You cannot disable audio with this player. Mute the TV.
post #727 of 1364 Old 12-24-2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

You cannot disable audio with this player. Mute the TV.

Thanks for the reply. So what's the point of setting a priority for audio output if it sends audio to all the outputs simultaneously anyway?
post #728 of 1364 Old 12-25-2009, 12:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Looking to pull the trigger on the S360 any moment now.

If someone could comment i do apologize i did a search but could not grasp the answer.

Can anyone tell me if the menu or whatever it uses to select a blue ray disc, is that menu outputted as well at 1080/24, or does it output at 1080/60. I want to play blue-rays and use my flea for noise reduction, but the only resolution it wont pass is 1080/60p, can the menu system where you select a disc or pictures or whatever, can that or does that menu output at 1080/24? Can anyone clarify or check that for me it would be a huge help.
post #729 of 1364 Old 12-25-2009, 12:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Or can you set the player to autoplay discs when inserted?
post #730 of 1364 Old 12-25-2009, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post

Looking to pull the trigger on the S360 any moment now.

If someone could comment i do apologize i did a search but could not grasp the answer.

Can anyone tell me if the menu or whatever it uses to select a blue ray disc, is that menu outputted as well at 1080/24, or does it output at 1080/60. I want to play blue-rays and use my flea for noise reduction, but the only resolution it wont pass is 1080/60p, can the menu system where you select a disc or pictures or whatever, can that or does that menu output at 1080/24? Can anyone clarify or check that for me it would be a huge help.

Its 1080/60 from what I can tell. Thats what my TV says its being sent and its right pretty much all the time.
post #731 of 1364 Old 12-25-2009, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi All,
I'm thinking of picking up a Sony BDP-S360 BD player to replace the kids DVD player. My issue is that the DVD player is on the same rack as my Sony BDP-S5000ES blu-ray player. I was wondering if anyone knew if the remote codes for the S360 and 5000 where the same or different? If they are the same I will probably need to look at a different model for the kids to avoid a clash (i.e. 5000 being turn on etc).

thanks,
Stephen
post #732 of 1364 Old 12-25-2009, 08:15 PM

Hello everyone,
My son got a bdp-s360 today for Xmas. Presently hooking it up directly to a Panny plasma (only does 1080i) through hdmi. For some reason when the unit is turned on we get the Sony Bluray screen on the tv and then nothing. We press the home button on the remote and get the unit to say setup but we can't see anything on the screen. We've tried different cables, they're all older so not 1.3 compliant, don't know if that matters. Hooked it up with component and analog audio and everything works. Did the firmware update went through the setup and switched back to hdmi and still nothing. We did have it set for component 1080i when we did the setup not hdmi since that was how we were using it at the time. Should we go through the setup again, set it to hdmi even though we're using component to see what we're doing and than switch back to the hdmi cable? We're pretty much stumped since we can get the Sony Bluray screen with hdmi and then nothing. Any help would sure be appreciated.
post #733 of 1364 Old 12-25-2009, 10:36 PM

Hi guys, quick question. I got the BX2 today and tried hooking it up to my 40" samsung using the HDMI cable that microsoft provided me with my xbox (extra) only because the other one was not long enough for the mounted tv. The problem that I had was that it was not giving me a signal with that cable, but would with the one provided in the box. I tried two different microsoft cables to see if one was just bad, but neither worked. This really isn't to much of a problem since I ordered two new hdmi cables from monoprice today, but I was just curious why it would work. Are the microsoft ones just really crappy? BTW it said no signal when I tried hooking it up to the MS HDMI cable. Thanks if you can give me any insights on this.
post #734 of 1364 Old 12-25-2009, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post

Its 1080/60 from what I can tell. Thats what my TV says its being sent and its right pretty much all the time.

Ugh, well maybe i can set it 1080i, and still set 1080p/24 to on for blue-ray playback.

Also from what i can tell though you dont even need to go to menus when a blue ray disc is entered, it just plays right away?
post #735 of 1364 Old 12-26-2009, 07:41 AM

Quote:

So what's the point of setting a priority for audio output if it sends audio to all the outputs simultaneously anyway?

The multi (more than 2) channel audio goes to the priority output. Others get less. From my 360 manual, "Selects the jack type to output audio signals. 2-channel Linear PCM signals are output at 48kHz maximum from output jacks other than the priority jacks."
post #736 of 1364 Old 12-26-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbynum View Post

The multi (more than 2) channel audio goes to the priority output. Others get less. From my 360 manual, "Selects the jack type to output audio signals. 2-channel Linear PCM signals are output at 48kHz maximum from output jacks other than the priority jacks."

OK, thanks. So if there's no way to turn off the audio to the other outputs, guess I will have to turn the TV volume up and down whenever I switch back and forth between movies and tv. Or take this back and get a different BD player, but so far except for that this one seems pretty good.
post #737 of 1364 Old 12-26-2009, 04:18 PM

newbie here!!

Just got hot the 360 connected via hdmi to an onkyo 606 - what audio setting should I have the bluray player on to allow the onkyo to decode. right now the onkyo displays multichannel.

Thanks!
post #738 of 1364 Old 12-26-2009, 06:29 PM

Just hooked up my S360 yesterday and much to my surprise, I was able to connect it to my 5+ yr old projector (Panasonic PTL-500U) using HDMI. I was sure that I was going to have HDCP issues especially since the projector only has a DVI port. All of my other HD sources (XBOX, HD PVR, Popcorn Hour Media Player) have been fine, but I was worried I was going to have to resort to component. Nothing wrong with component of course, but I was hoping to avoid reinstalling my component cable which is about an inch diameter. First BluRay was The WHO live at Kilbourn. I kept switching between Dolby TruHD and Dolby 5.1 and I was shocked at the difference. HD audio really is all that.
post #739 of 1364 Old 12-26-2009, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK, thanks. So if there's no way to turn off the audio to the other outputs, guess I will have to turn the TV volume up and down whenever I switch back and forth between movies and tv. Or take this back and get a different BD player, but so far except for that this one seems pretty good.

Or just mute the TV. I have my Harmony remote setup to send a MUTE comand to my TV when watching a blu-ray disc to avoid this problem. Then, when Im done and go back to TV watching it un-mutes the TV again. Bravo!
post #740 of 1364 Old 12-26-2009, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post

Ugh, well maybe i can set it 1080i, and still set 1080p/24 to on for blue-ray playback.

Also from what i can tell though you dont even need to go to menus when a blue ray disc is entered, it just plays right away?

Yes, the disc will just play...Im pretty sure....
post #741 of 1364 Old 12-26-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronesp View Post

...Presently hooking it up directly to a Panny plasma (only does 1080i) through hdmi. For some reason when the unit is turned on we get the Sony Bluray screen on the tv and then nothing. We press the home button on the remote and get the unit to say setup but we can't see anything on the screen. We've tried different cables, they're all older so not 1.3 compliant, don't know if that matters. Hooked it up with component and analog audio and everything works. Did the firmware update went through the setup and switched back to hdmi and still nothing. We did have it set for component 1080i when we did the setup not hdmi since that was how we were using it at the time. Should we go through the setup again, set it to hdmi even though we're using component to see what we're doing and than switch back to the hdmi cable? We're pretty much stumped since we can get the Sony Bluray screen with hdmi and then nothing. Any help would sure be appreciated.

Same issue here. Connecting to Sony KD-34xbr960 via monoprice HDMI cables gets me the splash screen, then it goes to black. Component works, and outputs 1080i just fine. Tried to go back to HDMI after setting up component, and the TV reports that the 360 is outputting whatever resolution I select via the TV's HDMI input, but the screen is still black. On the output selection menu screen, HDMI is greyed out, like it's not recognizing the connection. Is this am HDMI handshake issue? Will 1.3 cables help?

I am currently using the monoprice cable to connect my xbr960 to a DTVPal DVR with no issues.

I took the 360 to my parents house to test and it has no issues connecting successfully at 1080p with the same monoprice cables. Their TV is a Sony KDL-46z4100.

I updated to the newest firmware, and that did not solve the problem either.

Thanks for any help.
Will
post #742 of 1364 Old 12-26-2009, 08:38 PM

Hello,

I am having issues getting the audio setup on my s360. I have an older receiver (Sony) that has dolby digital but no DTS. If I leave all of the defaults for audio (except changing the priority to optical/coaxial), I get sound during the previews of the only Bluray I have, and the blue light goes on on my receiver (indicating a dolby digital signal), but when the movie comes on I get no sound (even though the blue light on my receiver stays on). I turned DTS to the Downmix PCM, and then I get sound, but it appears to be two channel as my receiver goes into Dolby Pro-Logic.

How do I get the dolby digital sound during movies? Why does this work during previews but not the movie? Help!!!

Thanks,
Steve
post #743 of 1364 Old 12-26-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post

Or just mute the TV. I have my Harmony remote setup to send a MUTE comand to my TV when watching a blu-ray disc to avoid this problem. Then, when Im done and go back to TV watching it un-mutes the TV again. Bravo!

Thanks, but no can do. On my TV it displays an annoying mute logo. I do have a harmony but when I am playing movies the volume up/down buttons control the AVR, not the TV. I programmed the harmony to step the volume up and down at the start and end of this activity, now need to train the wife and kids to keep it pointed at the TV long enough. Guess next time I buy a TV, whenever that is, will have to make sure mute does not display an on-screen icon.
post #744 of 1364 Old 12-26-2009, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Just setup my 880 for the bdp-bx2, but there isn't an open command. Does anyone know of a way to add one?

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

My Samsung 55" D8000 LED-3D tv settings.
post #745 of 1364 Old 12-26-2009, 10:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast View Post

Just setup my 880 for the bdp-bx2, but there isn't an open command. Does anyone know of a way to add one?

I have the 880 and the S360.. eject/open was auto programed when I added the 360 as a device
post #746 of 1364 Old 12-27-2009, 03:01 AM

Hi

I have a S350 which is very good.
Can anyone say if the PQ and AQ are any better on the S560 ? or would I need to go to the S760 for an improvement ?

Bc.
post #747 of 1364 Old 12-27-2009, 04:06 AM

Hi, everyone

I setup my S360 yesterday. It recognized the internet settings for my network immediately, updated the firmware, etc., and seems to be fine in almost every respect. My only problem is that Up (both the feature and bonus discs) took TEN MINUTES to load. It played wonderfully well after it was loaded, but, wow. The dog just sat on the screen with his collar blinking for 10 minutes, I kid you not.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
post #748 of 1364 Old 12-27-2009, 04:09 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^^^

As a test, don't allow the internet in the initial setup and see what happens.
post #749 of 1364 Old 12-27-2009, 04:11 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by battscrew View Post

newbie here!!

Just got hot the 360 connected via hdmi to an onkyo 606 - what audio setting should I have the bluray player on to allow the onkyo to decode. right now the onkyo displays multichannel.

Thanks!

....Use Direct setting on the player. If you want secondary audio tracks like commentaries etc. you will have to use the mix setting.

Now you can light up the DTS- HD-MSTR Audio & Dolby TRU HD lights on your receiver!
post #750 of 1364 Old 12-27-2009, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post

^^^^^

As a test, don't allow the internet in the initial setup and see what happens.

THANK YOU!!

It went from 10 minutes to 5 seconds. I disconnected the cable after the firmware update. I've no idea (clearly) how BD internet features work, so that was definitely the problem.

Works great now.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Sony Bdp S360 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player Accessory Kit , Sony Bdp S560 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony , Sony Bdv T11 Home Theater System
Gear in this thread - S560 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page