Sony BDP-S360 and BDP-S560 Blu-ray players (and BDP-BX2) - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 1364 Old 06-11-2010, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Have you tried turning of Bravia Sync (I think that what they call it). Try it on the BD player too. In other words turn of HDMI control for TV and BD Player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 1364 Old 06-11-2010, 05:01 PM

Liked: 10
I actually called Sony today to see if they had any good words of advice. The agent suggested changing the HDMI Deep Color settings, which I had not even thought about. It turns out that my Bravia TV supports 12 bit color, but my AV receiver has a maximum throughput of 10 bit color. The problem was that my BD Player was set to Auto, and the TV was telling the BD Player that it could accept 12 bit color, so the BD player switched to this configuration. When it did this, the AV Receiver couldn't handle the 12 bit color that was being passed through it.
post #1083 of 1364 Old 06-11-2010, 05:13 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanharger View Post

I actually called Sony today to see if they had any good words of advice. The agent suggested changing the HDMI Deep Color settings, which I had not even thought about. It turns out that my Bravia TV supports 12 bit color, but my AV receiver has a maximum throughput of 10 bit color. The problem was that my BD Player was set to Auto, and the TV was telling the BD Player that it could accept 12 bit color, so the BD player switched to this configuration. When it did this, the AV Receiver couldn't handle the 12 bit color that was being passed through it.

That was an interesting one. Thanks for sharing the solution. I'll have to add that one to my database. Looks like it's time for you to get a new AV receiver
post #1084 of 1364 Old 06-11-2010, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjthenovice View Post

That was an interesting one. Thanks for sharing the solution. I'll have to add that one to my database. Looks like it's time for you to get a new AV receiver

Ya, all that mess due to a feature which is not even used by any titles!
post #1085 of 1364 Old 06-14-2010, 12:57 PM

Anybody tried connect the player to the internet and play movie from netflix via wireless router ? I've just got mine and It's not been able to connect to the internet via my wireless router.
post #1086 of 1364 Old 06-14-2010, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by minhman77 View Post

Anybody tried connect the player to the internet and play movie from netflix via wireless router ? I've just got mine and It's not been able to connect to the internet via my wireless router.

The 360 can stream netflix???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320

Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
post #1087 of 1364 Old 06-14-2010, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

He's a little confused.....
post #1088 of 1364 Old 06-15-2010, 06:24 AM

I have an S560 and a Sony KDL-60EX700 TV. The player is connected to my wireless internet, but the TV requires an $80 dongle to do the same. Is there any way to leverage the wireless capability on the player for the TV? Someone mentioned an HDMI 1.4 cable, but I don't know if that would work. Thanks!
post #1089 of 1364 Old 06-15-2010, 07:04 AM

egruber, how did you get the player connected ? I followed the instruction from the Manual but after trying several times, it still not able to connect to my wireless router. It showed a message " cannot communicate with DHCP server".
post #1090 of 1364 Old 06-15-2010, 07:10 AM

I just followed the instructions on the screens and it connected with no problem. But it only does BD-Live. The TV has all the internet streaming stuff, but THAT is not wireless.
post #1091 of 1364 Old 06-15-2010, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 352
No, there isn't any way to use the player as a bridge/router. But there are plenty of fairly cheap solutions if your TV has an ethernet port. I use refurbished Linksys WRT-160N routers from amazon as bridges by loading DD-WRT firmware. Those are only $35 (used to be $30). There's a 33% chance you'll get the wrong firmware version for DD-WRT, so you may have to try more than once. There are other cheap wireless bridges around too. I don't know what kind of dongle your TV requires, but there may me cheap alternatives for those too.

Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1092 of 1364 Old 06-15-2010, 08:58 AM

I found a ZyXEL wireless ethernet bridge on Buy.com for $32 after rebate. I would prefer not having another device to plug in, but I guess it beats $80 for a dongle.
post #1093 of 1364 Old 06-18-2010, 04:55 PM

My Blu-ray Player, the Sony BDP-S360 only seems to be able to decode Dolby TrueHD onboard, but not DTS-HD MA. The player can send the HD audio bitstream of TrueHD and DTS HD MA, but when it is set to the "Mix" setting and will mix interactive audio with the HD audio track and output LPCM, the player will not decode DTS HD MA. You can see what track is being decoded by pulling up the info on the BD player during playback, and whenever a movie with DTS HD MA is being played, the info will show that it is decoding the lossy DTS track. I called Sony and they said that none of their players are able to decode DTS HD MA onboard except for the PS3. Has anyone else run into this problem and does Sony plan to release an update with this functionality? (It can't be hardware related because otherwise the player wouldn't be able to decode TrueHD either)
post #1094 of 1364 Old 06-18-2010, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My Blu-ray Player, the Sony BDP-S360 only seems to be able to decode Dolby TrueHD onboard, but not DTS-HD MA. The player can send the HD audio bitstream of TrueHD and DTS HD MA, but when it is set to the "Mix" setting and will mix interactive audio with the HD audio track and output LPCM, the player will not decode DTS HD MA. You can see what track is being decoded by pulling up the info on the BD player during playback, and whenever a movie with DTS HD MA is being played, the info will show that it is decoding the lossy DTS track. I called Sony and they said that none of their players are able to decode DTS HD MA onboard except for the PS3. Has anyone else run into this problem and does Sony plan to release an update with this functionality? (It can't be hardware related because otherwise the player wouldn't be able to decode TrueHD either)

For some stupid reason Sony decided that the 360 and 560 would not be able decode the DTS HD MA soundtrack....the player uses the DTS core as you have found out.. It will bitstream it only via Direct mode. It is assinine that they did that. Although, I believe other people have reported that the issue is fixed with their newer models.. For example, someone on this thread a while back said the N-460 player could decode it properly. If Sony hasn't bothered to fix this via firmware by now, I highly doubt they ever will......
post #1095 of 1364 Old 06-19-2010, 04:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post

For some stupid reason Sony decided that the 360 and 560 would not be able decode the DTS HD MA soundtrack....the player uses the DTS core as you have found out.. It will bitstream it only via Direct mode. It is assinine that they did that. Although, I believe other people have reported that the issue is fixed with their newer models.. For example, someone on this thread a while back said the N-460 player could decode it properly. If Sony hasn't bothered to fix this via firmware by now, I highly doubt they ever will......

How do you know this?

If this is truly the case, I believe we are entitled to a refund, since this is not what is advertised with this player.

Quote:

Key Features
  • Plays Blu-ray Disc movies in Full HD 1080p
  • Plays DVDs and upscales them to near high definition via HDMI
  • BD-Live ready (requires USB flash memory)
  • Dolby® TrueHD and dts®-HD Master Audio decoding
  • Deep color output and x.v.Color support (HDMI v1.3)
  • Quick start-up mode (appox. 6 seconds)
  • Xross Media Bar (XMB ) based menu system
  • Manage compatible home theater devices with one remote

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/specs/BDPS360_mksp.pdf

Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320

Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
post #1096 of 1364 Old 06-19-2010, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I finally decided to try BD-Live with the s560 since The Wolfman bd allows you to stream the original 1941 Lon Chaney, Jr. Wolfman movie. It didn't work. I get a few seconds if the stream but then it stops.

I'm able to connect with laptops anywhere in my house with my FIOS router, but it seems like the signal strength is flucuatiing wildly for my BD player.

Anyone else have wifi connection issues with the S560?
post #1097 of 1364 Old 06-19-2010, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:

My Blu-ray Player, the Sony BDP-S360 only seems to be able to decode Dolby TrueHD onboard, but not DTS-HD MA. The player can send the HD audio bitstream of TrueHD and DTS HD MA, but when it is set to the "Mix" setting and will mix interactive audio with the HD audio track and output LPCM, the player will not decode DTS HD MA.

Mix is the issue. When set to Direct, the player will decode dts-MA when connected to a receiver that cannot do dts-MA decoding*. When set to Mix, it uses the DTS core. Apparently the player lacks the procesing power to decode dts-MA while mixing secondary audio.

*If you have a receiver with dts-MA decoding, then the player will bitstream when set to Direct. The HDMI handshake determines whether the player bitstreams or decodes.
post #1098 of 1364 Old 06-19-2010, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

Mix is the issue. When set to Direct, the player will decode dts-MA when connected to a receiver that cannot do dts-MA decoding*. When set to Mix, it uses the DTS core. Apparently the player lacks the procesing power to decode dts-MA while mixing secondary audio.

*If you have a receiver with dts-MA decoding, then the player will bitstream when set to Direct. The HDMI handshake determines whether the player bitstreams or decodes.

I take it you have one of these receivers that has HDMI but does not have a DTS HD decoder?
post #1099 of 1364 Old 06-19-2010, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post

I take it you have one of these receivers that has HDMI but does not have a DTS HD decoder?

No. I actually use analog from my Panasonic BD55 to a Denon AVR 3805 that has no HDMI inputs.

As for the operation of the S360, I base my comments on what the manual says and posts from owners of the S3xx/S5xx Sony models, who confirm that's how the the players work. I took a long look at the S550 before deciding on the Panasonic.
post #1100 of 1364 Old 06-21-2010, 06:59 AM

Quote:

I understand and glad that your problem is solved. I would suggest you to put your Marantz as pass thru that way you can get benefit of 12-bit color as it is supported by both the BD player and TV.
post #1101 of 1364 Old 06-21-2010, 07:10 AM

One of my friend got BDP-S370 which is Wifi ready. The salesman wanted to sale $80 "Sony BRAVIA USB Wireless LAN Adapter" network adapter made by sony to work with this BD player. Does anyone know if any regular network adapter works or does he has to buy the sony adapter only?

TIA.
post #1102 of 1364 Old 06-21-2010, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

now that sucks. I have an Onkyo 605 that still suffers from the Bitstream bomb and wanted a player that would do the decoding (don't want to have to send my onkyo605 in for 3 fing weeks to get the firmware update) and NOT bitstream it. So it looks like the player forces you to bitstream DTS-HD MA if you have a capable receiver. well this player is out.
post #1103 of 1364 Old 06-22-2010, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post

now that sucks. I have an Onkyo 605 that still suffers from the Bitstream bomb and wanted a player that would do the decoding (don't want to have to send my onkyo605 in for 3 fing weeks to get the firmware update) and NOT bitstream it. So it looks like the player forces you to bitstream DTS-HD MA if you have a capable receiver. well this player is out.

You dont need to send the Onkyo 605 in to fix the DTS bomb. You can download the firmware fix and install it with a CD player and an optical cable. I did the same procedure on my Onkyo 705 to fix the problem.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/receivers/1...-dts-bomb.html

post #1104 of 1364 Old 06-22-2010, 12:16 PM

I just picked up an open box 360 for $90. I have a couple of BDP S350 players. Will I see anything obviously new and improved with the 360?
post #1105 of 1364 Old 06-22-2010, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

AFAIK, the only difference between the 350 and 360 is the 360 added on-board DTS-HD MA decoding. But from the looks of these recent posts, people are having a hard time figuring out how to make that work.

post #1106 of 1364 Old 06-22-2010, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

AFAIK, the only difference between the 350 and 360 is the 360 added on-board DTS-HD MA decoding. But from the looks of these recent posts, people are having a hard time figuring out how to make that work.

It's not hard.

Set to DIRECT and the 360 will decode DTS-HD ONLY if your receiver can't decode. If your receiver can decode, then it will just bitstream the audio and let your receiver do the decoding.

The only thing the 360 can't do is decode DTS-HD along with secondary audio. So, if it's set to MIX, you will not get DTS-HD. It must be DIRECT.
post #1107 of 1364 Old 06-22-2010, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerm357 View Post

You dont need to send the Onkyo 605 in to fix the DTS bomb. You can download the firmware fix and install it with a CD player and an optical cable. I did the same procedure on my Onkyo 705 to fix the problem.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/receivers/1...-dts-bomb.html

Although it should be noted there was a small number of the 605's which suffered from more than just the "DTS bomb" issue. They had issues with handling bitstreaming in general on all the higher resolution soundtracks; Dolby True HD, DD plus, etc. That is why they have the serial number check on their support site and the free offer to update it is still active. I am not sure if downloading the DSP firmware would fix all of that. If by chance your unit qualifies for the free fix, I would send it in and get it done just to improve the resale value if you do decide to sell it. Not to mention, you can request them to update all the firmwares to the latest level also.
post #1108 of 1364 Old 06-23-2010, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^

What does this have to do with the 360? Wasn't your question already answered in the 370 thread? Your friend will have to pony up for the sony USB adapter or use an ethernet bridge/adapter, many of which can be found for $30 and up. Or your friend can buy an entire wireless player HERE that's way better than the 370 in every way for less than the price of sony's stupid dongle.

post #1109 of 1364 Old 06-23-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

^^^

What does this have to do with the 360? Wasn't your question already answered in the 370 thread? Your friend will have to pony up for the sony USB adapter or use an ethernet bridge/adapter, many of which can be found for $30 and up. Or your friend can buy an entire wireless player HERE that's way better than the 370 in every way for less than the price of sony's stupid dongle.

Thanks for the link. That is what helps. (I think my friend bought the unit two weeks ago so I don't think he can return it anyway)

It wasn't answered before I bumped up my query this morning. Until today, only one person replied it didn't work for him. Doesn't mean universal truth. So I was waiting for more responses if someone else has a different experience.
The reason for posting it on S360 thread is because not many people own 370 and a lot of 360 owners like myself also know 370 owners and may help.
post #1110 of 1364 Old 07-04-2010, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi

I have a Sony BDP-S360 (owned for 9 months now) and have the latest firmware.
Over the last few days I have had trouble getting Blu-Ray discs to play, it generates an error "cannot operate this disc". Initially it was only one disc that did this "Yes , Live at Montreux 2003", others would play OK after this. But now all seem to be doing it.
Strangely DVD's play perfectly.

Equipment :
Sony BDP-S360
Denon AV2310 Receiver (Sony connected to HDM1 on receiver)
Panasonic 46" Plasma TH-46PZ800A ( connected via HDMI from Denon Receiver)

Any help would be appreciated.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Sony Bdp S360 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player Accessory Kit , Sony Bdp S560 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony , Sony Bdv T11 Home Theater System
Gear in this thread - S560 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page