post #1201 of 1364 Old 11-20-2010, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioNeil View Post

I just had my first problem play a blu-ray on my S360, in over 150 disks watched.

It was the Avatar Collector's edition. I have the latest firmware update. Is this likely a problem with the disk (i.e. data goes to the edge of the disk, and the player can't read it), or is it something with the DRM scare from earlier in the year?

The player shows the "this needs the latest firmware warning", and then does nothing for 10 minutes. The extras disks play, but also take minutes before working.

Will resetting the system help? Should I just get a new copy of the disk?

I have my machine connected to the internet, with a 1GB stick in the back.

Oh, that's terrible to hear being that this such a problem-free machine. It even played the older Avatar BD without an issue. Try exchanging the disc and see if the replacement copy also has a problem. Let us know how it works out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1202 of 1364 Old 11-21-2010, 05:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioNeil View Post

I just had my first problem play a blu-ray on my S360, in over 150 disks watched.

I have my machine connected to the internet, with a 1GB stick in the back.

Try removing the stick and disconnect the player from the internet and try playing the disk and see what happens. It is likely that it will play the disk but you will not get access to the online features.
post #1203 of 1364 Old 11-23-2010, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My S360 plays that movie with no problems. This was played before the latest update so I know it will play it. Must be a bad disc. If you have a PC with blu ray capability, try it to see if it plays.
post #1204 of 1364 Old 11-25-2010, 09:35 PM

I'm considering buying a newer receiver which will be 7.1 with DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby TrueHD and LPCM. Of course it'll have HDMI.
As with the above, my current display only has component inputs. Is there any way I could output the audio over HDMI to the receiver for the lossless audio codecs yet have the video set-up to go over component? I've noticed I can change the settings to be as such in the set-up. I'm just using digital coaxial audio cable currently on my legacy receiver. It's the STR-DE598.
So I'd like the S360 to output the audio over HDMI and video over component to input into the receiver. Then of course the receiver would output the video over component to the display.
Will I get the lossless audio tracks if I setup the S360 this way?
I'd only have a 5.0 sound setup on a 7.1 system currently. Yeah I'm a slow upgrader for my home theater.
I'd just really love to finally be able to decode the lossless audio tracks with a newer receiver in the method I explained above.
Thanks!

Zero Interest in all things Harry Potter. Digital Copy can go screw itself.
Film grain is a good thing dammit! No more DNR/EE for film transfers!
post #1205 of 1364 Old 11-28-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPlayer View Post

Try removing the stick and disconnect the player from the internet and try playing the disk and see what happens. It is likely that it will play the disk but you will not get access to the online features.

I changed the stick in the back to a 4GB one, and I turned off the internet connection. The Avatar disk now loads in about 30 seconds. Thanks.

Sometime I'll turn the internet back on, and see if it still works, but for now I'm happy. I've never found any value in the BD-Live content. I wish they wouldn't mess up the disk because of it.
post #1206 of 1364 Old 11-30-2010, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post

No

Thanks. Will the s560 play mp3's from the usb?
post #1207 of 1364 Old 12-06-2010, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Hi guys: I maybe one of few that gets a update disc from sony, but i got the 360 update the other day. when i popped the disc in the player i got this screen that says ''Cd music'', track 1! This is not an update. I called sony again and today i received another disc. Guess what happened? I called sony again and they haven't heard of this issue, but will report it. Meanwhile i'm waiting for another disc. I tried downloading the file and burning a disc. That didn't work ether. Anybody hear of such an issue?
post #1208 of 1364 Old 12-06-2010, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvine2000 View Post

Hi guys: I maybe one of few that gets a update disc from sony, but i got the 360 update the other day. when i popped the disc in the player i got this screen that says ''Cd music'', track 1! This is not an update. I called sony again and today i received another disc. Guess what happened? I called sony again and they haven't heard of this issue, but will report it. Meanwhile i'm waiting for another disc. I tried downloading the file and burning a disc. That didn't work ether. Anybody hear of such an issue?

I talked to BILL HUNT ,and he said to try the disc in my computer to see if any files are on the disc. Well what do know theres no files on the disc. I'll call sony and let them know.
post #1209 of 1364 Old 12-13-2010, 12:55 PM

I noticed while I was playing the Shrek Forever After Blu-Ray that, while pausing worked, I could not then step forward (with the pause key) or use slow motion (with the FF key). The pause key would resume the film, and the FF key acted in normal FF mode.

Some of the special features, however, did support stepping and slow motion. This is also not the only Blu-Ray disc that has locked out stepping and slow motion.

Is this common for the 360?

-- Don
post #1210 of 1364 Old 12-18-2010, 06:35 AM

I can tell you that Sony has used .wav files as updates to their products. I did a firmware update to make a customer's Sony STRDH810 receiver handle 3D sources and had to hook up a cd player using an optical output to the receiver. I then played the .wav file thru the receiver which updated the firmware.
post #1211 of 1364 Old 12-22-2010, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, let me make this clear. The USB port is ONLY for BD-Live storage. That's it. You cannot use it to watch videos, play music or update firmware.
post #1212 of 1364 Old 12-22-2010, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post

Ok, let me make this clear. The USB port is ONLY for BD-Live storage. That's it. You cannot use it to watch videos, play music or update firmware.

That is incorrect. The rear USB port is for BD-Live storage only. The front port is used for a memory stick, but for photos only...music or videos will not play on this model..
post #1213 of 1364 Old 12-23-2010, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post

That is incorrect. The rear USB port is for BD-Live storage only. The front port is used for a memory stick, but for photos only...music or videos will not play on this model..

My S360 only has a back port. No front port. I'm assuming you have a 560.
post #1214 of 1364 Old 12-28-2010, 11:58 PM

.....I got a 360 off my Dad, gratis. I actually have two BD's; Avatar and Despicable Me so I was interested to see what the hoopla's about. Now that I've been messing with it for a couple days, and I've scanned all 41 pages of this thread, I have a couple questions.......

Firmware. I have version 006. From what I've been able to discern there dosen't seem to be much concern about 008 if you have 007, but am I asking for trouble by sticking with 006?

Audio. No real issue here just curious. I notice that the Desp Me disc reads DTS on my pre/pro. Which is fine with me. Just trying to confirm that's what I'm actually getting. I'm running the coax out to my Rotel RSP-1068 (No HD audio formats here). BD Audio is set to Mix and the DD & DTS outputs are set to DD & DTS.

I know nothing of the new HD audio formats but if I'm understanding correctly from this thread in the absence of the HD audio being output through HDMI the player will send a DTS "core" signal to the pre/pro, which is what is being displayed.

Yes?
post #1215 of 1364 Old 12-31-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfafa View Post

Some news : I de-activated internet access in S360 setup (i.e. BD-Live) and now it works like a charm

Has anyone noticed a performance improvement (speed) when disabling BD-Live on this unit?
post #1216 of 1364 Old 12-31-2010, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pestul View Post

Has anyone noticed a performance improvement (speed) when disabling BD-Live on this unit?

You will notice a performance/speed improvement with any brand or model of player in which you disable that ridiculous BD-Live function.....
post #1217 of 1364 Old 12-31-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfafa View Post

Some news : I de-activated internet access in S360 setup (i.e. BD-Live) and now it works like a charm

EDIT: Sorry, double post.

I should add, is there a performance improvement by disabling BDLive even when the player isn't connected to the network? Does it try to access when not connected anyway?
post #1218 of 1364 Old 12-31-2010, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, it can't hurt to deactivate it anyway. Even if you are not connected to the internet it would eliminate the possibility of the title from even trying to make a connection to download crap to show before your movie starts....
post #1219 of 1364 Old 01-02-2011, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 140
When I bought my S360 I got it for dirt cheap cause it was the display model and Wal Mart had lost the remote. I have a Bravia so the tv remote allows me to navigate menu screens and such but it has no pause button. Does anyone know how I can program the remote to my Pioneer VSX 520K to operate my BD player. I can't find much about it on line.

Panasonic P60U54
Pioneer VSX-1122 K
Polk Audio RTi8's, CSi5, RTi6's, OWM3's
SVSound PC12 Plus, PC Ultra (12")
PS3, PS2
post #1220 of 1364 Old 01-02-2011, 10:56 AM

Greetings Experts,

Need some help. Sony BDP-BX2 is NOT displaying the HOME menu screen to me without going to a lower setting. Very Annoying. Would Love some help with this and/or resolving this issue. Providing the Sony Support Transcript for a clarification of the issue/problem/error. Thanks.

Problem : Unable to view MENU screen. it is black.. will flash once and awhile... is not viewable.. not coming up

Garry_*>*Hi Lexonex. Welcome to Sony Online Support. I'm Garry. Please allow me a brief moment to review your concern.
Lexonex*>*hi
Lexonex*>*Good Morning (PST)This is very strange. I am able to watch a Blu-Ray movie/disc without any problem. BUT, if I want to go to the HOME screen all I get is a black screen and a "flashing" effect where it is trying to connect but never does. Again, I can watch the movie fine with audio (HD) but, unable to go to the HOME screen of the Sony BDP-BX2.I have placed a call before and was to hold the stop (square button) on the very right of the panel to set the player to a lower resolution.. Why should I have to do this? I want to seamlessly go from watching the movie to the home screen. why can't i do this? what gives?
Lexonex*>*I'm using HDMI cable
Lexonex*>*HDMO only
Lexonex*>*HDMI only
Garry_*>*Thank you for waiting, Lex. I'm sorry that the Bluray Player is not ouputting the signal as expected. I'll be glad to assist you with this.
Garry_*>*When did it last work as expected?
Lexonex*>*Mitsubishi DLP 65", Pioneer VSX-820-k
Lexonex*>*Running firmware 008 in the BDP-BX2
Lexonex*>*I don't remember
Lexonex*>*Usually I just pop in the movie and it plays with ALL functioning
Lexonex>*Again, I go to the HOME screen of the Sony BDP-BX2 and all I get is a black screen
Lexonex*>*It is trying to display but, never does
Garry_*>*I understand that you're running the Firmware Update now. Am I correct?
Lexonex*>*must go to a lower resolution for the HOME screen which is absurd.......
Lexonex*>*yes
Lexonex*>*excuse me NO! not running the update.. the update is installed
Lexonex*>*I HAVE installed the update known as 008
Garry_*>*Thanks for the confirmation.
Lexonex*>*?
Garry_*>*Yes, I am online.
Garry_*>*I understand that you're able to access the HOME items at lower Resolution. Am I correct?
Lexonex*>*yes, but then that sets the player to a lower resolution which carries over to me watch a blu-ray disc.
Lexonex*>*"watching"
Garry_*>*I do understand the situation the, Lexonex.
Garry_*>*Let's try resetting the Bluray Player and check if that helps.
Lexonex*>*While at the HOME menu I go to settings and set the video to HDMI and I get a player going to a black screen... why is that?
Lexonex*>*how do you reset?
Garry_*>*Please press HOME.
Lexonex*>*IF i press home I get a black screen
Garry_*>*After that, select Setup and then select Resettings.
Lexonex*>*okay, you must wait .. I have to go downstairs...
Lexonex*>*please hold
Garry_*>*Lexonex, you may set to a lower resolution and then reset the Bluray Player.
Garry_*>*Sure, please go ahead.
Garry_*>*Please select All Settings after selecting the Resetting option.
Garry_*>*Please let me know the operation after performing the above procedure.
Lexonex*>*ok.. this I have done... finished
Lexonex*>*all settings .. have been reset
Garry_*>*Please let me know if the issue is resolved now.
Lexonex*>*please hold...
Garry_*>*Sure, please go ahead.
Garry_*>*I didn't receive a response. Are you still with me?
Lexonex*>*there is a problem... I go into "easy setup" and I select "HDMI".. auto.... and again, I get a black screen trying to display which does not... then finally it does and it asked if I saw the "test screen" No I did not...
Garry_*>*I'm really sorry to hear that.
Lexonex*>*well, with all do repect, i do not care if you are sorry or any other feeling you are having.. how do i resolve this issue with this sony product?
Garry_*>*Let's try Power Resetting the Bluray Player and check if that helps.
Garry_*>*To Power Reset the Bluray Player, disconnect the Power Cord from the wall-outlet for a short period of time (approximately one minute).
Garry_*>*After that, reconnect the Power Cord and then turn ON the Bluray Player.
Lexonex*>*Please hold ... I'll try....
Garry_*>*Sure, Lexonex. Please go ahead.
Garry_*>*Please let me know when you're done.
Lexonex*>*same result... I go into "easy setup" and I select "HDMI"... and I get a black screen trying to display which does not...then finally it does and it asked if I saw the "test scree".. No I did not see it...
Lexonex*>*"test scree"
Lexonex*>*"test screen"
Lexonex*>*I pulled the cord out of the unit instead of the wall if that matters... easier...
Garry_*>*In this case, I suggest that you connect the Blurya Player to a different TV.
Garry_*>*This is to confirm if the issue is with the TV or the Bluray Player.
Lexonex*>*Must that be a 1080p tv? and.... why would the tv perfectly display the blu-ray movie and NOT the HOME screen?
Lexonex*>*Mitsubishi DLP WD-65734
Garry_*>*Lexonex, it is required to check with a different TV before we go to any conclusion.
Lexonex*>*again, does that "other" tv need to be a 1080p tv?
Garry_*>*Yes, Lexonex. You are correct.
Lexonex*>*Unfortunately, I own ONLY ONE 1080p HDTV Mitsubishi DLP WD-65734
Garry_*>*If the issue, still persists with a different TV, unfortunately the Bluray Player requires service.
Garry_*>*It is required to physically examine the Bluray Player by the professional service technicians at the Sony Authorized Service Center to determine the exact cause for the issue.
Garry_*>*Shall I forward the link to a page where you can find the Sony repair cost, or initiate a repair?
Lexonex*>*How may I receive a copy/transcript of THIS chat session? Can you email me a copy?
Garry_*>*Sure, Lexonex.
Garry_*>*I have already sent the chat transcript to your Email ID so that you can refer from it for future referrence.
Garry_*>*The Email has been sent to: xxxxxxxx.com
Lexonex*>*have not received it yet... have you sent it to xxxxxxx.com ?
Garry_*>*Yes, Lexonex.
Lexonex*>*still waiting for email to arrive....
Garry_*>*Please check the Email in the Inbox or Spam folder of your account.
Lexonex*>*has NOT been received in either folder.....
Lexonex*>*how about xxxxxxl ? thanks...
Garry_*>*Sure, Lexonex. I will forward the chat transcript to xxxxx right away.
Garry_*>*The Email has been sent to: xxxxx
Garry_*>*Are you able to take it from here?
Lexonex*>*thanks.. email came through gmail.. thank you...
Garry_*>*You're welcome.
Garry_*>*It has been a pleasure to assist you.
Garry_*>*Good-bye and thank you for contacting Sony Online Support.
Garry_*>*Analyst has closed chat and left the room
post #1221 of 1364 Old 01-14-2011, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

I bought a Sony BDP-S560 for $75 from Sony. Can I make the USB drive play music (mp3 someway)? Currently, I can only load photos.

Seems like the PQ is awesome on videos.
post #1222 of 1364 Old 01-15-2011, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinomon View Post

I bought a Sony BDP-S560 for $75 from Sony. Can I make the USB drive play music (mp3 someway)? Currently, I can only load photos.

Seems like the PQ is awesome on videos.

This model only plays photos via USB and streams them via your network.....no music or video support.
post #1223 of 1364 Old 01-17-2011, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post

This model only plays photos via USB and streams them via your network.....no music or video support.

Wish there was some ways to play MP3 via USB, otherwise, USB is a waste.

Is there any Sony BD player that can play mp3 via USB?
post #1224 of 1364 Old 01-17-2011, 07:02 PM

I'm trying to get into the service mode on this BDP-S560 but I'm having difficulty with it. I have the service manual and it says to turn on AC power while holding down PLAY, STOP, or OPEN/CLOSE. If I press PLAY or OPEN/CLOSE the player automatically turns on and SERVICE never comes up. If I press stop and press power, nothing happens. Am I doing something wrong?
post #1225 of 1364 Old 02-02-2011, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

We had a pretty bad snow storm yesterday that wreaked havoc on our power. The power kept flickering off and on all day. A couple times the power was dimmed instead of all the way out. Today my DVD player won't turn on. It's a Sony s360, and wasn't very expensive, but I hate to buy a new one. Is this something that is easily fixable? Can I just pop in a new power supply for 30 bucks or something?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1226 of 1364 Old 02-02-2011, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntode View Post
The power kept flickering off and on all day. A couple times the power was dimmed instead of all the way out. Today my DVD player won't turn on. It's a Sony s360, and wasn't very expensive, but I hate to buy a new one. Is this something that is easily fixable? Can I just pop in a new power supply for 30 bucks or something?
There's no telling--the ps might have fed bad DC to yr circuit board and killed something there.
post #1227 of 1364 Old 02-07-2011, 05:20 AM

Hy all, excuse me for my bad english (I'm from RO), I hope you can understand me. Yesterday I bought an sony blu-ray player-s360, and I don't know if it can run .mkv, .avi, .mpeg-4, .mp3, .jpeg and other kind of usual files form an external hdd (I'm attending to buy an Western Digital 320gb 2.5"). I tried with my flash memory stick (1gb) but the player does not recognized it. Can it run those files, using external hdd ???
post #1228 of 1364 Old 02-07-2011, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b726pst View Post

Hy all, excuse me for my bad english (I'm from RO), I hope you can understand me. Yesterday I bought an sony blu-ray player-s360, and I don't know if it can run .mkv, .avi, .mpeg-4, .mp3, .jpeg and other kind of usual files form an external hdd (I'm attending to buy an Western Digital 320gb 2.5"). I tried with my flash memory stick (1gb) but the player does not recognized it. Can it run those files, using external hdd ???

Your model 360 does not support those features..... and the 560 can only stream/USB input photos. No other files supported....
post #1229 of 1364 Old 02-07-2011, 06:17 AM

ok thank you very much !!!
post #1230 of 1364 Old 02-13-2011, 12:44 AM

I have the S360 and went to run new update and about 3-4mins in to it I got a sys error message on the front of bdp. I had went back to watching reg TV while update ran and when I went back to bdp on my avr all I got was a black screen. It would not turn off and when I unplugged it and plugged back in same message came up, I have run at least 2 updates prior to this with no issues. Any suggestions before I call Sony. Thanks.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Sony Bdp S360 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player Accessory Kit , Sony Bdp S560 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony , Sony Bdv T11 Home Theater System
Gear in this thread - S560 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page