Sony BDP-S360 and BDP-S560 Blu-ray players (and BDP-BX2) - Page 42 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1231 of 1365 Old 02-14-2011, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sounds like you bricked your unit. Call Sony.

What I do to make sure this doesn't happen is I burn the CD and verify it. Then when the Sony player updates from the CD, I leave it alone. I don't even switch inputs on the TV nor do I turn the TV off. I leave everything alone until the update is complete and the CD ejects.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1232 of 1365 Old 02-14-2011, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post

Sounds like you bricked your unit. Call Sony.

What I do to make sure this doesn't happen is I burn the CD and verify it. Then when the Sony player updates from the CD, I leave it alone. I don't even switch inputs on the TV nor do I turn the TV off. I leave everything alone until the update is complete and the CD ejects.

I took the unit in to Best Buy b/c I have a 4yr warranty. I have unit hooked in via ethernet cable to router for more stable connection. On previous updates I went back to watching reg TV and it did not affect the update. Oh well, good thing I had extended warranty. Thanks for the advise.
post #1233 of 1365 Old 02-22-2011, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I am trying to repair an S360 for my nephew. he said it worked fine but then stopped playing discs. He has never updated the firmware. I can go in and update and go through the settings but it keeps asking "BD data cache settings" and "erase BD data?" but will never go to another screen. Also it seems to not recognize that there is a disc in the tray.
Is this thing toast?
post #1234 of 1365 Old 03-03-2011, 01:28 PM

So I've recently installed the new firmware (v011, I have the BDP-S360) and it seems to me that the loading time for a BD disc has been improved. I haven't done any specific timing tests, but my general impression is that discs load up much faster (maybe twice as fast?). Has anyone else noticed this or maybe it's just the specific discs I've happened to play lately (or maybe I'm just crazy)?

Garrett
post #1235 of 1365 Old 03-03-2011, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Loading time seems the same to me...
post #1236 of 1365 Old 03-04-2011, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexonex View Post

Greetings Experts,

Need some help. Sony BDP-BX2 is NOT displaying the HOME menu screen to me without going to a lower setting. Very Annoying. Would Love some help with this and/or resolving this issue. Providing the Sony Support Transcript for a clarification of the issue/problem/error. Thanks.

Problem : Unable to view MENU screen. it is black.. will flash once and awhile... is not viewable.. not coming up

Garry_*>*Thank you for waiting, Lex. I'm sorry that the Bluray Player is not ouputting the signal as expected. I'll be glad to assist you with this.
Garry_*>*When did it last work as expected?
Lexonex*>*I don't remember
- DID IT EVER WORK? The Tech is trying here to ascertain whether the unit EVER worked or if this problem is new (likely to rule out - A - has something happened to the TV, B - has this happened after an update... or C - some other issue with the player.

Garry_*>*I understand that you're running the Firmware Update now. Am I correct?
Lexonex*>*must go to a lower resolution for the HOME screen which is absurd.......
Lexonex*>*yes
Lexonex*>*excuse me NO! not running the update.. the update is installed
Lexonex*>*I HAVE installed the update known as 008
Garry_*>*Thanks for the confirmation.
Lexonex*>*?
Garry_*>*Yes, I am online.
Garry_*>*I understand that you're able to access the HOME items at lower Resolution. Am I correct?
Lexonex*>*yes, but then that sets the player to a lower resolution which carries over to me watch a blu-ray disc.
Lexonex*>*"watching"
Calm down he's not going to try and say just run it in the lower resolution, he's just trying to clarify you've already made several mistakes & jumps in what you've said so for (him) it's hard to follow exactly what you are REALLY saying.

Lexonex*>*okay, you must wait .. I have to go downstairs...
Garry_*>*Sure, please go ahead.
So you thought you could Text/chat with their tech support and not have to lay your hands on the unit a bunch of time?

Lexonex*>*there is a problem... I go into "easy setup" and I select "HDMI".. auto.... and again, I get a black screen trying to display which does not... then finally it does and it asked if I saw the "test screen" No I did not...
That's because it is testing that output, using your players output, via the HDMI cable, to that input on your TV... Something in the chain is now unable to handle the signal. But you provided Gary with no context as to when if ever it worked? I mean for all Gary knows you could have set it up using your component cables & then switched over to HDMI, or, or, or, or, or, ...100 other possibilities. Poor Gary!

If you knew or had more information or details such as did this work when you had the previous update installed and now it's only just begun since you updated or when was the last time you checked this?

Garry_*>*I'm really sorry to hear that.
Lexonex*>*well, with all do repect, i do not care if you are sorry or any other feeling you are having.. how do i resolve this issue with this sony product?

RUDE! Are you an adult?

At this point, polite as Gary was he's had enough of you! And you are being given the well deserved brush off.

Garry_*>*In this case, I suggest that you connect the Blurya Player to a different TV.
Garry_*>*This is to confirm if the issue is with the TV or the Bluray Player.
Lexonex*>*Must that be a 1080p tv? and.... why would the tv perfectly display the blu-ray movie and NOT the HOME screen?
Lexonex*>*Mitsubishi DLP WD-65734
Garry_*>*Lexonex, it is required to check with a different TV before we go to any conclusion.
Lexonex*>*again, does that "other" tv need to be a 1080p tv?

Only if you want to test and figure out where the problem lies...?

Garry_*>*If the issue, still persists with a different TV, unfortunately the Bluray Player requires service.
Garry_*>*It is required to physically examine the Bluray Player by the professional service technicians at the Sony Authorized Service Center to determine the exact cause for the issue.

At this point while Gary probably had a few other choices I'm sure he wanted you off the chat ASAP, once you gave him the rudeness line!

What you failed to do & information you should have provided:
#1 - get your facts & details straight before you call or chat. When did the problem likely begin? Always, recently ? After some event or change to firmware etc.
#2 find a friend and test it. Is it your cable? Just to eliminate it did you try a different cable? Try theirs; Or is it your TV? try theirs, is it your Blu-ray player? try theirs on your TV.
#3 If IT HAD been working on your TV, with your cable, and the same Blu-ray player and then after an update it doesn't that should give you a pretty big clue.
#4 rather than having to pay for something. perhaps the next update will fix it if this is a recent problem, or you could try Component cables as part of your troubleshooting process (are you able to enter the Home Menu then - @ 1920 x 1080P?)

If you had been polite to Gary and you might have gotten some useful information such as others have reported this or a similar issue after the update). If the update was the problem you might have prompted Gary to put in a request that it be looked into... possibly (hopefully) if that was the cause that it would result in a corrected driver coming sooner rather than later.
post #1237 of 1365 Old 03-04-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntode View Post

We had a pretty bad snow storm yesterday that wreaked havoc on our power. The power kept flickering off and on all day. A couple times the power was dimmed instead of all the way out. Today my DVD player won't turn on. It’s a Sony s360, and wasn't very expensive, but I hate to buy a new one. Is this something that is easily fixable? Can I just pop in a new power supply for 30 bucks or something?

Not trying to throw salt on your wound, but anything electronics that you value should be run behind at least an Un inter rup tible pow er sup ply; <== [Sorry for breaking up the words there... but AVS ad generator links it to product on Amazon that I didn't want you to think was the item I was suggesting you buy.] (It does many things ~ different features for different models, but I recommend at least a model with AVR - Automated Voltage Regulation for your high end TV / Stereo, Blu-ray, Game consoles. They filter irratic unclean power before it outputs it, but also in your situation during brown-outs it either would (with AVR - ramped up the voltage to an appropriate ~120volts) or if it could not because the incoming voltage was too low or erratic, or if the UPS you get doesn't have that feature it would have AT LEAST kicked over to battery back up.

That does two things, A it lets you know for sure somethings wrong but two it protects your components. The second the alarm went off indicating trouble in the power grid, I would have un-plugged everything!! that isn't a simple motor or coils ==> like the toaster, or can opener. Everything else would have been unplugged. Despite what most people think, spikes aren't the biggest killer of electronics. It's brown outs and irregular, erratic power over stressing components something an UPS is exceptional at protecting you from. I prefer APC but there are some fine other brands out there. Shop around. The prices will go up as we start to head into spring & summer as people look to get them for storm protection. BUT DON"T LET THE PACKAGING FOOL YOU!!! You still must unplug your electronic items during a storm. No UPS in the world can protect your items from a near or direct lightening strike. Those bolts can arch from one end of your house through to the other side just along the air alone let alone if they reach your wiring. And the so called warranties are ARDUOUS to fulfill and require you to pay to send your equipment to them for testing... Plus you've lost whatever data is on your harddrive etc. So read them like you are reading a bazooka joe comic, with a small chuckle.

So just be safe and always unplug at the first sign up dimming lights, or electrical storms or if you hear the forecast the night before... unplug before you leave the house that day. If you must continue to use equipment during a brown out situation (formerly Brown down) then a UPS is a life saver. If you live in an area prone to grid problems then a whole house solution may also be warranted.
post #1238 of 1365 Old 03-28-2011, 07:55 PM

Apologies if this has been mentioned &/or is a dumb question: can the S-360 be made region free for playing back blu-rays? & if not, which machines can? I'm in the US, & want to be able to play UK region 2 blu-rays.

Thanks.
post #1239 of 1365 Old 03-30-2011, 05:16 PM

I rented "The Fighter" Blu-ray from Redbox and my BDP-S560 loads and loads and finally on the small LCD it says invalid and the message on the screen says it's an unknown disc.
I checked (even though I have it set to check automatically) for updates and there isn't any.

I took out the thumb drive I had attached to the rear USB port, that didn't make a difference. I tried it again and deleted the content (as others have said sometimes either of those work) but it didn't. I tried it in PS3 and it works and plays fine (older 3.42 Firmware)????

Set the internet to wired, and I don't have an ethernet connected. I usually use WIFI. I don't see a setting to shut off internet though as others have said so but switching it over to wired & then not having a wired connection has made the wireless green icon disappear. Maybe just for fun I'll try a reset of the player to original, don't know what else I could try. Tried again w/ no USB thumb drive, internet to wired and no connection and still sees it as unknown.

Anyone else having an issue with that particular Blu-ray and this player? Or have any tips to get it to work. Have to take it back tonight so likely a response will be for a future problem. GRRR!
post #1240 of 1365 Old 03-30-2011, 10:26 PM

No problems here... just rented and watched "The Fighter" earlier today.
post #1241 of 1365 Old 03-30-2011, 10:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBV View Post
Apologies if this has been mentioned &/or is a dumb question: can the S-360 be made region free for playing back blu-rays? & if not, which machines can? I'm in the US, & want to be able to play UK region 2 blu-rays.

Thanks.
Nope. Insignia is the only one I know of you can make blu-ray region free (see the Insignia thread here for details). UK Panasonic can be made DVD region free. Or you can buy a legit region free player.
post #1242 of 1365 Old 03-31-2011, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planespotting View Post
Thanks for the reply.
EDIT: What firmware does your player have? the 11? From February 2011? or older?
Also do you have a BDP-S560?
Hmm. I am at a loss for why I had an issue with "The Fighter". I tried another Blu-ray just to make sure it wasn't the laser, but it played fine.
1-Have the latest update
2-Tried deleting and unplugging the player.
3-Tried stopping the connection to the internet
4-Reset all and then went through and did each one to make sure bc the RESET all settings to factory didn't seem to be doing it.
5-Tried a suggestion seen elsewhere to change the resolution, tried it, but the disc won't even load so not sure how that would have helped.
6-Tried the hold power for 10sec and then hit stop when it powers back on...
7-Pulled the plug and waited for a full minute.
8-Checked online and I have Firmware version 11.

Disc played fine in PS3.
post #1243 of 1365 Old 03-31-2011, 01:32 PM

So I rented another blu-ray "Morning Glory" from Redbox and it won't playback on my BDP-560 either .... popped in my test blu-ray "Ice Age" and it works fine (Still).
Decided to do a reset of all settings to factory, thought for sure that would do it; it didn't!
Pulled the cord from the wall and did a full 1 minute wait for before turning it back on.
I tried re-attaching the internet via Ethernet. GRRR I could wrap my tiny brain around it, if it wasn't playing any blu-rays but it plays I.A. fine, and DVDs.

Anyone else had an issue like this?

"UNKNOWN" is what shows in the Sony Home Menu => where it would normally say the name of the Blu-ray disc and after it tries to load them it says "Cannot play this disc"

Google Tags: BDP-560; BDP-360; Sony BDP-s560 - Cannot Play this disc - UNKNOWN - Cannot operate this disc - INVALID BDP-s560 Invalid
Cannot play this disc Sony
cannot play this disc Sony BDP-s560
post #1244 of 1365 Old 03-31-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnvideo View Post

Hey Tom,
Did you find a solution to your "invalid' dilemma? I have the same issue.
Thanks, John

Quote:
Originally Posted by loretin View Post

Hi Tom and John,
I am having the same issue, have you been able to find a solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnvideo View Post

HELP!!! I have Sony BDP=BX2 that will not play blue ray dvd's, I get an "invalid" message and the front of the machine and a cannot play on the tv screen. Any quick fix? Any ideas? I have connected it to the net and it states latest updates installed.
Thanks for the help, John

Quote:
Originally Posted by loretin View Post

I didn't find a solution. I just called sony support and I have to mail the blu ray so they can send a replacement. Not thrilled about this, but I guess it's better than nothing.

Quote:

There is no "solution." If your unit will not play Blu-rays, it's obviously bricked and yes, you need to call Sony Support and have them fix it for you.

I installed the last update Version 11 some time back, it played a number of Blu-rays since then (newer ones). Yesterday was the first time I've ever had an issue. (couldn't play The Fighter, but could on PS3, Tried my only Blu-ray that I own: Ice Age and it plays fine (Still), tried Morning Glory (cleaned it to a mirror shine and nothing. So ? it's not completely dead.
I guess I'll have to rent a Blu-ray that I recently watched from RedBox and see if If I still can?
If the laser were dirty it shouldn't play some but not all the discs?....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcduie View Post

Hi
I have a Sony BDP-S360 (owned for 9 months now) and have the latest firmware.
Over the last few days I have had trouble getting Blu-Ray discs to play, it generates an error "cannot operate this disc". Initially it was only one disc that did this "Yes , Live at Montreux 2003", others would play OK after this. But now all seem to be doing it.
Strangely DVD's play perfectly. Sony BDP-S360 Any help would be appreciated.

So did you end up returning or getting a replacement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swak View Post

Wonder if the S-570 firmware would load on the 560? Wish someone who could still return theirs if it bricks would try it.... It would give us Netflix and DLNA! I am betting the hardware would support it.
Better yet, Sony it's time for an update!

Ha, if I can't straighten this out with Sony maybe I should give this a try? Not sure it wouldn't have a check built in to stop it but... my BDP-560 is still under warranty until Sept 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknails View Post

I'm trying to get into the service mode on this BDP-S560 but I'm having difficulty with it. I have the service manual and it says to turn on AC power while holding down PLAY, STOP, or OPEN/CLOSE. If I press PLAY or OPEN/CLOSE the player automatically turns on and SERVICE never comes up. If I press stop and press power, nothing happens. Am I doing something wrong?

EDIT: Did you ever get that to work?
:bump: ing for updates.
post #1245 of 1365 Old 03-31-2011, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Ouch, DA1745!! You're freaking out! Take a deep breath, relax and try more BDs. Try other BDs in your collection besides "Ice Age." If it's just those BDs you rented that are having issues, then maybe the discs at Redbox are damaged or defective. Try having RedBox exchange the discs to see if it still won't play. If those two movies are the ONLY movies that won't play, then it may possibly be a firmware issue. Just try other movies in your collection and do some testing. Surely, you must have other movies besides "Ice Age."

Though I must say, if planespotting is not having trouble playing "The Fighter" but you are, then it may be possible that your issue is related your player and not the firmware.
post #1246 of 1365 Old 04-02-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:

Ouch, DA1745!! You're freaking out! Take a deep breath, relax and try more BDs. Try other BDs in your collection besides "Ice Age." If it's just those BDs you rented that are having issues, then maybe the discs at Redbox are damaged or defective. Try having RedBox exchange the discs to see if it still won't play. If those two movies are the ONLY movies that won't play, then it may possibly be a firmware issue. Just try other movies in your collection and do some testing. Surely, you must have other movies besides "Ice Age."

Though I must say, if planespotting is not having trouble playing "The Fighter" but you are, then it may be possible that your issue is related your player and not the firmware.

What makes you think, I'm freaking out? LOL No couldn't be farther from reality. This is a rather old and quiet thread I was attempting if anyone I quoted with a similar issue had alerts they might receive a message and reply as to there status (not panic) I have alternate means to play blu-ray and the unit is still under warranty. I went back through about the last 15 - 20 pages and it seems that others have had similar issues, though usually it followed directly after a firmware update. However, in my case that was not the case (although the update to firmware 11 wasn't that long ago) I played several Blu-rays in the interim. Unfortunately, the others that had similar issues never reported whether and how many discs they tried and whether it ever played any. Many people give up to quickly on testing and problem solving and if this was my only player I might forgo some further testing as well, but I can continue and not be bothered at this point by some further analysis.

You might have missed it but I have been trying other Blu-rays. I'm not a new fish when it comes to trouble shooting. So far I have tried "The Fighter", "Morning Glory", and no "Despicable me". I will pick one or two more up today and continue on that way etc.
None of those last three have worked in the BDP-S560 however, I also stated that I have ruled them out as bad discs besides the obvious unlikely hood of Redbox having 3 bad blu-rays (BTW i've never rented a bad Blu-ray or DVD from them in 3 years and several hundreds of movies - dirty yes - never bad) because they played fine in my PS3. The PS3 may have a better quality laser I don't doubt it and if I would continue to get all blu-rays not playing I might have simply written the BDP-s560 off as blu-ray dead (either from the firmware or an issue/problem with the laser) if not for it playing "Ice Age" - Little anomalies like that are a little frustrating but they also offer a bit of intrigue and a challenge as to why they were able to play and not (so far) any of the others.

I am attempting to locate and rent some recent BR's that I was able to play fine (before on the 560) not too long ago (Waiting for Superman & Inception are two that I come to mind). If they still play fine in the 560 then there's a chance that selectively the last Firmware 11 farked' some but not all of my unit up. If they don't play then it's time for a replacement. Because something will have seriously changed... still won't explain why the I.A. disc plays and those others don't and it's stuff like that, that had me attempting to run down the problems (like BDLive, thumb drives cache, internet connection) that were "correctable" issues but were causing the same "cannot play this disc" errors that I am getting.

I do like to completely understand first what, when, and where the problem originates. It's similar to troubleshooting PC's except I can't systematically test and swap out parts, the only things I can do are small external or software adjustments, but I was very hopefully that dotting the eyes and crossing the T's / resetting the unit would bring things around. It did not and points the finger back at the Firmware.
Going across the 42 pages in this thread it should be clear to anyone that Sony's firmware updates are and have bricked some units not talking about when the process hangs either, but when it completes "successfully." Unlike in some broader issues such as (tv panel lottery - where data is collected and a pattern emerges) there isn't any unit specifics or patterns noted and there is no track record of which units (possibly with a different manufacturing plant or components installed - had issues with firmware) that's a little ambitious granted for a lower tier of players with sporadic firmware issues anyway. None the less, I should have followed the PC drivers axiom don't fix it if it isn't broke, I ignored it as I often think (most) hardware firmwares are safe and installed it rather than waiting for there to be an issue that a firmware update might resolve.
I'll see if Sony has a beta firmware update in the wings, waiting around until they might release something that would fix this is not an option I'm interested in should it be clearer in the next week that it's a firmware issue for sure.

NO, I can't afford to spend my money on buying many movies, I watch and like far too many movies, I'd go broke that way. I got the BR I have bc the person that bought it for some kids didn't realize it was a BR. With Netflix streaming and Redbox I have over 400 items qued up so buying movies just isn't cost effective. I should add that I am OCD / ADD and Bi-Polar --> so I once was addicted to buying VHS/VCR movies from pawn shops at $1-2-3 a pop until I was over run with them and though even at those prices I could have spent that money so much wiser; to each his own.
post #1247 of 1365 Old 04-02-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planespotting View Post

Hey I just wanted to clarify do have you the latest Firmware 11 installed? or 8? or which one?
If you don't know and you have it connected to the internet and you check for updates if there isn't any found then you have the latest 11.
It also lists it under system information ? (have to check that might not be the correct name) but it's in the first row of the home screen.

Also do you have the BDP-S560 or the 360?

Thank you
post #1248 of 1365 Old 04-02-2011, 05:17 PM

Hello ,

just wondering if anyone had a case like mine and if someone fixed it, maybe i could get some tips on how to fix my problem.

I recently hooked up my BDP-S360 to my Sony Home theater HT-SS360, and subsecuently to my BX400 sony TV, all via HDMI. for some reason i cannot get output connected like this, but if i plug it directly to the TV it works no problem. Ive tested both cables and they work.

aparently there is output, since when i turn the TV on it does give me info of the Resolution the BD player is using, but all i get is a black screen with some sort of "flikering" since the TV lights up a bit and then it turns dim again. but always black screen.

anyone had this type of problem before?
post #1249 of 1365 Old 04-02-2011, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA1745 View Post

NO, I do not (waste) my money on buying movies, I watch and like far too many movies, I'd go broke that way. I got the BR I have bc the person that bought it for some kids didn't realize it was a BR. With Netflix streaming and Redbox I have over 400 items qued up so buying movies just isn't cost effective. I should add that I am OCD / ADD and Bi-Polar --> so I once was addicted to buying VHS/VCR movies from pawn shops at $1-2-3 a pop until I was over run with them and though even at those prices I could have spent that money so much wiser; to each his own.

Then you shouldn't have wasted money on a Blu-ray player then. It would've saved you all this trouble.
post #1250 of 1365 Old 04-04-2011, 01:08 PM

This is even more puzzling. I have an S360 that works like a champ. Last night I rented "The Tourist" from Redbox on DVD. Put it in and it read "invalid." This is a DVD mind you, not a Blu-Ray. I also tried in my newer S360 and in my old S350 downstairs. Same result. Cannot play this disc. So I slapped it in my PC's DVD drive and it worked with no problem. Strange indeed. Any ideas folks?
post #1251 of 1365 Old 04-05-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Then you shouldn't have wasted money on a Blu-ray player then. It would've saved you all this trouble.
You are kidding right? It sounds like you took offense at me using the word wasted. That's shows my bias towards money and how I spend it, but it comes from a place of not having much; I am not well to do.
This is coming from a cinema lover through & through... but I realized after the VCR tapes collecting how much more I could be getting with my money than just some movies I've already watched especially @ blu-ray prices.
I want to ring out every ounce of buying power I can from my money, my dollars. I live on sites like slickdeals and as a result can afford to build myself (and sell to others) the very best bang for the buck equipment. I own an Xbox 360 w/120GB HD but it wasn't until a year and 4 months ago when i got it for $100 off. I just got a brand new PS3 160GB at X-mas time for $99.99 from Best Buy ($200 Credit from Sony CC for opening a CC with them and making a single purchase, I got a $.53 cent blu-ray rental from REdbox). Sony Credited my account 20000 points or =~ $200. Then I waited until the X-mas deals and bought a $299.99 + $100 Gift card deal Sony lets you apply the $200 rewards towards you recent purchases of their products so my PS3 net cost to me was $99.99 but then I got a $100 gift card to spend elsewhere at the store. WOOT.
That's the ONLY way I can afford nice things. So the idea of spending that amount of money on a single movie makes me nauseous Put more simply, I could either have bought the my Blu-ray player or a few blu-ray discs (BUT NOT BOTH LOL ). And I am thankful because of Netflix and Redbox that I can get all the blu-ray greatness at a decent price, because I had to buy them I'd simply become a pirate.

And of course there are "backup" programs that I could use to rip them on my PC but again there are so many new films out that I just don't have the time to hit up the same old ones over & over. I can always find them again on Netflix or rent them from a store if any of those still exist in the future. ==> or Amazon's rental service.

But the comment you made that I shouldn't have wasted my money on a blu-ray player then makes me feel a little bad; as if because I'm poor; I don't get to enjoy at least a few things in life. I didn't inherit my money like the Walton's kids or inherit my energy business like the Koch brothers. And although my IQ is solid I was on my way to a promising carrier before things de-stabilized, I have organic brain chemistry issues (ie Bi-polar, ADD, OCD) that make it hard for me to live up to my full earning potential --> frankly it makes it hard for me to keep chugging away at life at all, period; especially in this manner. Movies, not drugs, alcohol, or gambling, are my opiates and while I don't think I'm entitled to a Yacht or a Rolls-Royce I do think watching Blu-rays is within my station in life. Thankfully I don't have to buy I can rent or (otherwise) if I want to watch them. I don't feel bad that I'm poor I try to make the most out of what I can.
-------
post #1252 of 1365 Old 04-05-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by painfg View Post
Hello ,
just wondering if anyone had a case like mine and if someone fixed it, maybe i could get some tips on how to fix my problem.
I recently hooked up my BDP-S360 to my Sony Home theater HT-SS360, and subsecuently to my BX400 sony TV, all via HDMI. for some reason i cannot get output connected like this, but if i plug it directly to the TV it works no problem. Ive tested both cables and they work.
aparently there is output, since when i turn the TV on it does give me info of the Resolution the BD player is using, but all i get is a black screen with some sort of "flikering" since the TV lights up a bit and then it turns dim again. but always black screen.
anyone had this type of problem before?
There have been a number of issues like this. In most cases is simply getting the settings to link up right. I'd suggest scan reading the thread from the start until you find posts that hit on receiver issues or since everything is Sony you might call there tech support as at least their upper level techs should be able to see what you probably need to adjust down the output of your blu-ray player to what the receiver can handle. My receivers are all University Surplus auction items that don't even have HDMI yet so no help really but the last person who posted with an issue called and Sony identified the issue. Otherwise you could try simply going into your sound & video settings and turning them down until you find the ones that (might be the cause).
post #1253 of 1365 Old 04-05-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM1956 View Post

This is even more puzzling. I have an S360 that works like a champ. Last night I rented "The Tourist" from Redbox on DVD. Put it in and it read "invalid." This is a DVD mind you, not a Blu-Ray. I also tried in my newer S360 and in my old S350 downstairs. Same result. Cannot play this disc. So I slapped it in my PC's DVD drive and it worked with no problem. Strange indeed. Any ideas folks?

Hey Craig, Sorry to hear about your issue. But it's nice to have a little company on the Invalid issue.
Do you know or will you check what version of Firmware you unit now has? Did you recently update it, or did it prompted to update automatically to 11.04?

I see that yours deals with a DVD. So far I haven't hit any DVD's that won't play, my BDP-s560's problems have been on the Blu-ray side.

I rented The Next Thee days last night (Blu-ray) and that movie plays fine it's definitely a new movie.

It won't play: ===================== It will play
The Fighter (Blu-ray) ================= Megamind (DVD)
Morning Glory (Blu-Ray) ================The Pat Tillman Story (DVD)
Despicable Me (Blu-ray) ================The Romantics (DVD)
*Waiting for Superman (Blu-ray) ========= Fair Game (DVD)
==/==================\\============ The Next Three Days (Blu-ray)
==================================Ice Age (Blu-ray) (older store bought BR).
*Waiting for Superman (BR)- This one I re-rented last night. I had played before but comes up invalid now (of course I can't be sure it's the same exact disc I rented as the last time) but... I'm guessing that I would have rented it before the Firmware update to 11.04 and that is the likely cause of my issues. Up until now, I've never had a disc not play.
Also I tested all the discs above that won't play in my PS3 and they all play like champs so the issue is localized to the Sony BDP-s560.
post #1254 of 1365 Old 04-05-2011, 12:05 PM

I have had problems with my 360 for about a year. It wouldn't play most of the Disney blu-rays. Very frustrating especially when I am at work and the wife calls complaining the the player won't work and the kids want to watch monsters Inc. I tried everything like deleting the memory, disconnecting the Internet etc. I finally gave up and bought the Avs deal on the 5000es player. Should be here on Friday.
post #1255 of 1365 Old 04-05-2011, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But the comment you made that I shouldn't have wasted my money on a blu-ray player then makes me feel a little bad; as if because I'm poor; I don't get to enjoy at least a few things in life. I didn't inherit my money like the Walton's kids or inherit my energy business like the Koch brothers. And although my IQ is solid I was on my way to a promising carrier before things de-stabilized, I have organic brain chemistry issues (ie Bi-polar, ADD, OCD) that make it hard for me to live up to my full earning potential --> frankly it makes it hard for me to keep chugging away at life at all, period; especially in this manner. Movies, not drugs, alcohol, or gambling, are my opiates and while I don't think I'm entitled to a Yacht or a Rolls-Royce I do think watching Blu-rays is within my station in life. Thankfully I don't have to buy I can rent or (otherwise) if I want to watch them. I don't feel bad that I'm poor I try to make the most out of what I can.
-------

Well, I apologize. The thing is, your "I don't waste money buying movies" can be rather offensive to many of us who like to collect movies. It didn't come off as being poor. It sounded more as if you're attacking us collectors for buying movies. Sorry if I misunderstood your intent.
post #1256 of 1365 Old 04-05-2011, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgarvin View Post

I have had problems with my 360 for about a year. It wouldn't play most of the Disney blu-rays. Very frustrating especially when I am at work and the wife calls complaining the the player won't work and the kids want to watch monsters Inc. I tried everything like deleting the memory, disconnecting the Internet etc. I finally gave up and bought the Avs deal on the 5000es player. Should be here on Friday.

These are weird issues I'm hearing. My S360 is over a year old and still works like a champ, even on Disney titles.
post #1257 of 1365 Old 04-05-2011, 03:11 PM

I am very careful with my gear. I don't know why it is acting this way. Maybe when I put it upstairs on the playroom tv it will work great. No network at that location.
post #1258 of 1365 Old 04-06-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:

Hey Craig, Sorry to hear about your issue. But it's nice to have a little company on the Invalid issue.
Do you know or will you check what version of Firmware you unit now has? Did you recently update it, or did it prompted to update automatically to 11.04?

I see that yours deals with a DVD. So far I haven't hit any DVD's that won't play, my BDP-s560's problems have been on the Blu-ray side.

I rented The Next Thee days last night (Blu-ray) and that movie plays fine it's definitely a new movie.

It won't play: ===================== It will play
The Fighter (Blu-ray) ================= Megamind (DVD)
Morning Glory (Blu-Ray) ================The Pat Tillman Story (DVD)
Despicable Me (Blu-ray) ================The Romantics (DVD)
*Waiting for Superman (Blu-ray) ========= Fair Game (DVD)
==/==================\\============ The Next Three Days (Blu-ray)
==================================Ice Age (Blu-ray) (older store bought BR).
*Waiting for Superman (BR)- This one I re-rented last night. I had played before but comes up invalid now (of course I can't be sure it's the same exact disc I rented as the last time) but... I'm guessing that I would have rented it before the Firmware update to 11.04 and that is the likely cause of my issues. Up until now, I've never had a disc not play.
Also I tested all the discs above that won't play in my PS3 and they all play like champs so the issue is localized to the Sony BDP-s560.

I've never had a disc not play before, either DVD or Blu-Ray, and have never updated the firmware. One S360 is a refurb I got last year after the original died, thankfully while still in warranty. The other S360 is probably six months newer, isn't used as much, and has never had an issue. It's never been updated either. I informed Redbox and they said they'd pull the DVD out of circulation and gave me two promo codes for my trouble. I've tried other DVDs and Blu-Rays since the invalid issue and they play just fine.
post #1259 of 1365 Old 04-06-2011, 07:08 PM

@ MrHT - Sorry, it's all about context. I have to repeat little mantra's in my head - asking myself questions like do I really need this, repeating things aren't worth it (especially if I want it) or I really go overboard and get in trouble with my CC's; I'm over sharing again, but it absolutely wasn't my intent to offend.
Quote:

These are weird issues I'm hearing. My S360 is over a year old and still works like a champ, even on Disney titles.

I'm not sure if I asked or you said, but what version of the firmware are you using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgarvin View Post

I am very careful with my gear. I don't know why it is acting this way. Maybe when I put it upstairs on the playroom tv it will work great. No network at that location.

Exactly how I feel about my equipment, I have a white glove type policy for electronics and up until this problem started, I was very pleased with the unit's performance. I'm the only one that uses it, I give it lots of room for ventilation; I probably shouldn't have updated it until I came across a disc that wouldn't play wish I had switched the automatically update off! I will say that the wireless, or wired connection made no difference ever when the unit flawless playback (not saying it matters now either). Whether it was getting wireless or a wired connection at all made zero difference in performance and I never (prior) had a disc not play when a connection wasn't available. The only difference a thumb drive ever made was with certain blu-rays the movie previews I would get ...and occasionally whether BD-Live was available but that was mostly a large disappointment compared to all the hype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM1956 View Post

I've never had a disc not play before, either DVD or Blu-Ray, and have never updated the firmware. One S360 is a refurb I got last year after the original died, thankfully while still in warranty. The other S360 is probably six months newer, isn't used as much, and has never had an issue. It's never been updated either. I informed Redbox and they said they'd pull the DVD out of circulation and gave me two promo codes for my trouble. I've tried other DVDs and Blu-Rays since the invalid issue and they play just fine.

-Just for curiosity sake what was the problem you had that you ended up getting a replacement unit for?
-Also do you know what firmware versions your two 360's are running?

-How come you thought the disc was bad? It's true that generally PC Drives are usually a little better at reading than stand-a-lone players, but not sure that your conclusion that the disc was at fault was correct. Unless I'm reading that wrong or you meant it otherwise, having it play in your PC's DVD drive basically shows that it was working and readable does it not?

That might be an occasion where you'd want to try it in another maker's stand-a-lone player to get a second opinion; even if you have to go to a neighbor or friend and ask them to try it. The only thing that is pretty clear about these unit's when something goes bad is, if it doesn't completely hinder playback, then no two units misbehave in the same way or with the same discs.
post #1260 of 1365 Old 04-06-2011, 07:27 PM

After re-renting "Waiting for Superman" and it not working this time in my BDP-s560 (but did work fine in a PS3) I called Sony's support. I explained the problem and that I had done the resets but would happily do them again to make sure. He asked me why I had done the update, was in because of a problem?; I laughed and told him no, I did it because it told me to - I felt ashamed to be that guy and lost some techie cred. (I was pretty sure they would cover me either way but I wanted to make it clear I was prompted to do the update).

What I learned: In the future I should have left WORKING GREAT ALONE!! I mean unless they decide to go nuts and start offering Netflix, Amazon, and Blockbuster apps in a future update the only reason I should do an update is if I run into some discs it won't play. And in that case I'll go the online download and burn a CD route as I believe I read Mr HT say can at least verify the file that way.

The tech did give me two options, One to get another refurbished unit or two to get my own unit back. I told him I was very glad they offered that as I mentioned I take care of my equipment and I know what this unit's history is all except for the time it will be in their hands so hopefully that will all work out. It's too bad they're isn't a downgrade flash or re-pair flash operation built into this unit or that I could at least try flashing it back to 8. As the tech said it's most likely they will simply repair the firmware, it's a shame I have to ship it to them.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Sony Bdp S360 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player Accessory Kit , Sony Bdp S560 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony , Sony Bdv T11 Home Theater System
Gear in this thread - S560 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page