Sony BDP-S360 and BDP-S560 Blu-ray players (and BDP-BX2) - Page 44 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1291 of 1364 Old 08-23-2011, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
WELL... it's a few hours later and I'm slightly wiser . First, their is no USB upgrade option (according to Sony's website) so I dwl'd and burned a CD. As I suspected, the Loredo Sony Tech was incorrect; An end user cannot install the same firmware over that firmware if it's currently installed. It gave me the same message as when you click to check for upgrades via the network. Unless their is a service code to do it that someone could share???

However, I did find this thread interesting and possibly helpful. If I can't get Sony to pay to ship my player again both ways then attempting to clean the BR laser might be the answer. See this thread:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/blu-ray-pla...-bdp-s350.html
As to why it's selective (I mean It plays Disc 2 of the LOTR for me but not Disc 1 or 3) and they were brand new out of the shrink wrap when I tried them first.

And the other thing that's bothersome is, even those that tried this and it worked it was always very shortly after a firmware update (like me) that all of the sudden new discs and some old discs that had previously worked, now couldn't be read.
https://forum.sel.sony.com/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=7635

https://forum.sel.sony.com/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=8527
https://forum.sel.sony.com/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=8899
https://forum.sel.sony.com/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=8899
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1292 of 1364 Old 08-23-2011, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA1745 View Post
Sorry to hear that GPowers... I assume that their player was past the one year warranty mark? Right? Any chance it was less than 2 years and they bought it with a AMEX or VISA CCard? After learning some lessons, I had been trying to make most of my purchases with an AMEX or Visa card as they will dbl mnfr warranty up to one additional year.
Since a lot of commercial sites have been getting hacked lately, I've leaned on Discover cards secure 1x use online numbers and in those cases If It's a pricer thing I try to find 30% coupons for SquareTrade. Usually the prices for their warranties then fall less that 10% of the original purchase price that way.

So it just puked out on you? Does/did it do anything after that?
The box did absolutely Nothing.

Yes it was out of warranty and they did not have any extended warranty.

I had one of the original $1,100 LG combo HD-DVD and Blu-ray players. These players were updated via CD disk only. No network connection. The unit was always rejecting disk. You never knew if a new disk would play. LG would take months to fix the problem.

We had a thread, here on the forum, listing all the disks that were know not to play by firmware release date. Its was a real pain.

Interesting that HD-DVD always played. The problem was only with Blu-ray disks

Finally just gave up and bought a new player. Hurt a lot when you paid $1,100 for the unit.
post #1293 of 1364 Old 08-29-2011, 05:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
[quote=GPowers;20859127]The box did absolutely Nothing.

Yes it was out of warranty and they did not have any extended warranty.

I had one of the original $1,100 LG combo HD-DVD and Blu-ray players. These players were updated via CD disk only. No network connection. The unit was always rejecting disk. You never knew if a new disk would play. LG would take months to fix the problem.

We had a thread, here on the forum, listing all the disks that were know not to play by firmware release date. Its was a real pain.

Finally just gave up and bought a new player. Hurt a lot when you paid $1,100 for the unit.[/QUOTE

For those with unreadable disc problems, have any of you tried using non-HDMI cables? I found that using component and optical cables reduced my issues to 0.
post #1294 of 1364 Old 08-30-2011, 09:54 AM

I have the Sony BDP360 and I was told to configure the digital audio settings to Bitstream. Why am I not able to find "Bitstream" in the options? Can it be under a different name?
I have this bluray connected to a Harman Kardon 3600 which supports al types of surround modes and audio configuations. If I'm not using Bitstream , how would this interfere with my movie watching. Will I hear a difference? Will I get audio drop-outs?
Thanks
post #1295 of 1364 Old 08-30-2011, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 314
IIRC, on the 360 it's HDMI Audio - Auto or PCM. Auto = bitstream, depending on the HDMI handshake (AVR tells player if it can handle bitstream or not). Use whatever setting gives you the best results.
post #1296 of 1364 Old 09-08-2011, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebrafetish2000 View Post

For those with unreadable disc problems, have any of you tried using non-HDMI cables? I found that using component and optical cables reduced my issues to 0.

Well, @ 3:30AM my response to reading that is...what does one have to do with the other?

I have had handshaking problems with with this Sony before, in fact it was my first ? / post in this thread, it simply would not co-operate with a late 2006 (December) Philips Plasma via HDMI. It connected fine via Component but then of course no up-converting of dvds. But I ask what does that have to do with these players coming back with an "unknown" disc error?

Mine had played prefectly, every disc I sent it's way, until I updated (mistakenly - my human error I won't ever make again) wirelessly to the firmware version 11. After that the majority of BR's came up unreadible. It was still under warranty so I sent it off to Loredo, TX for "repair" and requested my same unit back if it was fixed. Now they said they could find NOTHING WRONG; but I made a point to ask them NO MATTER WHAT that they reflashed it before sending it back. Now maybe they ran a laser cleaner on it maybe they just reflashed it IDK --> and SONY seems to be really hush hush about this as they are clearly stone walling people with the same problem. If it was as simply as a BR lens that keeps getting dirty then they should own up to it and say it was a design flaw (if that's why it keeps happening) and offer a cheap lens cleaner.

I re-rented all the BR's it wouldn't read (after the bad firmware update and they all worked) including one that had read fine prior to the update, then not after my bad update, and then worked again after they sent it to me... connected exaclty the same way, with the same HDMI cable to an LG LCD TV.

However, I picked up LOTR (theatrical) BR's and got the error "unknown" on discs 1 and 3 while connected via Component video cables to a different TV --> these were brand new discs, no finger prints, no dust, no dirt etc. I thought that was odd, at first thought I tested whether the discs were somehow bad. I tried them all three in a Samsung BR HTIB and later a PS3 and of course they all played just perfectly....But NOT in the Sony BDP-s560 w/ a factory installed firmware 11; not with HDMI cables (on my LG), not with component cables on either that LG or the original Philips.
EDIT: and I forgot about LIMITLESS BR - Which also doesn't work since getting the Unit shipped back from Laredo Sony repair center w/ the latest v...11 firmware.

Handshaking with the TV is a completely different issue than these "unknown disc errors" - yes I wouldn't doubt that there are other errors that can happen even after what appears an initial correct handshake.

But one doesn't even need to connect any type of output at all to the s560 to see if it reads a BR disc and to rule out a handshaking problem completely! Simply inserting the disc, and waiting to see if it reads it, identifies it, and begins queing it because (obvioiusly there is no error or invalid displayed on the VFD) but also the light turns to blue indicating a BR disc detected and playing.
==============================
I tried to include in the first post of this page several, but by no means all, of the many threads related to the Sony s360, s560 and their newer model kin. The vast majority came down to 1 of 2 things. #1 Bad firmware. either written or downloaded the stories were the same (played everything before it... now it won't play XYZ (BR) title. #2 Prior to the very 11 firmware where a number of anecdotal postings about dust/debrie being on the BR lens and that disassembling and cleaning the Unit restore it's full BR functioning after having a growing number of disc "unknown" errors.
post #1297 of 1364 Old 09-10-2011, 08:37 AM

I would try cleaning the laser. It solved the "invalid disc" error I was (recently) having with my BDP-S560. I used a Maxell CD-340 lens cleaner with "advanced angle brush"

Specifics...
My BDP-S560 seemed to be working flawlessly with the latest (011) firmware update until a couple of weeks ago. I get all my Blu-rays from Netflix. I rented THX 1138 on Blu-ray from Netfix and it would not play. Disc was flawless (no scratches, no fingerprints). DVD's play fine. Popped in Inception and Kick Ass (the only two store bought Blu-rays I had on hand) and they worked fine. Then rented Despicable Me Blu-ray from Netflix and it played fine. A couple of days ago, I got In a Better World (just released 9/6/2011) from Netflix and it would not play. That's when I decided to try the lens cleaner and that disc now plays.
Don't know why a dirty head would selectively affect certain Blu-ray discs, but who knows.

EDIT:
I later tried reloading the "In a Better World" Blu-ray and now get the "invalid" error message. However, if I eject the disc and reload it 3-5 times, the disc now plays. I really don't have an explanation.
post #1298 of 1364 Old 09-10-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kontai69 View Post

I would try cleaning the laser. It solved the "invalid disc" error I was (recently) having with my BDP-S560. I used a Maxell CD-340 lens cleaner with "advanced angle brush"

Thanks for your information. I'm going to go look up how that operates and the cost etc. In the other posts I read people basically were dis-assembling the units and removing/opening the drive and then manually cleaning them. I would imagine that your device works much easier but obviously costs $$.
EDIT: so i googled that http://www.google.com/search?client=...ll+CD-340+lens+cleaner&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest#q=Maxell+CD-340+lens+cleaner&hl=en&client=opera&hs=jC7&rls=en&channel=suggest&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=OJdrTvXkL4OLsQL7kri-BA&ved=0CE4QrQQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=1994cc79ed993576&biw=1244&bih=802
Is that the same one you got (mentions it's for CD's) or did you by a BR version or ??? where did you buy it from also?
Does it use brushes or air?

I found one that actually says BR... but I haven't read how they actually work yet
http://www.amazon.com/Maxell-BR-LC-B.../dp/B00178HN0O
This one uses air to clean the lens.

As to why, it does seem odd that of the two lasers, I NEVER came across a report of any of the DVD lasers having a problem. So one might assume that something in the design of where / how the Blu-ray's laser is positioned or perhaps it's because the disc has so much more data packed onto the same real-e-state that minute flaws can be too much. Although I do not think it is the later. Because for every disc I was unable to get to read in my BDP-560, it read perfectly fine in the Sony PS3...and now I have a Samsung HTIB and they all read fine on that one as well.

But it is perplexing to say the least that after the problem begins to present itself - and you can rule out that it's NOT due to some new thing on the Blu-ray itself (ex. like when many players couldn't play Avatar etc. when it first came out) then why do some Blu-rays continue to get recognized while others do not. <== Again when you can eliminate some of the variable explanations. [(1) Newer discTechnology, (2) Damage or dust to the disc - by testing it and successfully playing it in multiple other players]
Then why is it so hit or miss.
I don't think that is my current problem with the BDP-s560 not recognizing the now "old" Lord of the Rings - (theatrical) Blu-rays discs 1 & 3 and having a hard time playing disc 2 though it does eventually with some button tricks play.
EDIT: I forgot (found it on one of my will play won't play lists. That Limitless BR also won't play on the BDP-s560 since getting it returned from the Sony (Laredo, TX) repair center w/ V...1 firmware re-flashed.

I was fearing it was the previous problem coming back to haunt me (still not sure if that was bad firmware 11 update or dust on the BR lens). But my current problem seems to be that Sony hasn't correctly done what they need to in the firmware to get that rather old title to play. As every other BR I've rented has been working fine, again, and so far in the 560.
post #1299 of 1364 Old 09-10-2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:

Is that the same one you got (mentions it's for CD's) or did you by a BR version or ??? where did you buy it from also?
Does it use brushes or air?

Mine uses a brush (built into disc). It is for CD/DVD players but works in my Blu-ray player as well.

Nonetheless...
I later tried reloading the "In a Better World" Blu-ray and now get the "invalid" error message. So a dirty head is not the culprit. However, if I eject the disc and reload it 3-5 times, the disc eventually plays. I really don't have an explanation.
post #1300 of 1364 Old 09-14-2011, 03:25 AM

Quote:

Nonetheless...
I later tried reloading the "In a Better World" Blu-ray and now get the "invalid" error message. So a dirty head is not the culprit. However, if I eject the disc and reload it 3-5 times, the disc eventually plays. I really don't have an explanation.

Sorry to hear that. With my luck i'd have a piece of dust stick to it right after I cleaned it. Well, it's possible then, that if we lobby and complain (or maybe just out of the course of things they will release a new firmware that will correct some of these things and not make anything worse.

=======================================

Well, I've had some more time to try new BR discs. I rented Paul, Your Highness, Thor, and Something Borrowed from Redbox,
I got there early on the day they released them so no one else had a chance to rent the discs before me. They all played fine on the my Sony BDP-s560. ...So it seems like my Henny Penny the sky is falling again turns out to be (at this point) just Sony not getting what ever they needed to update for the Lord of the Rings Theatrical Trilogy in the firmware to work...or just a bug with my unit.
The warranty official expired for me so it is what it is now and I don't think there were any other BR's it wouldn't play. Have to check my list again (absent minded just can't remember).

EDIT: Also played Hanna BR, Winter Bone BR, How to Train your Dragon BR, Sanctum BR!
I had forgotten about it NOT PLAYING Limitless but so far that & the LOTR T.E. Trilogy discs #1 & #3 and trouble w/ playing #2 are the only problems. I have the LOTR E.E. Trilogy BR's waiting in a box to try soon. Not having high hopes for the BDP-s560 though, but I'll know more in a few more weeks.
post #1301 of 1364 Old 09-21-2011, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post

Wow, I didn't know about 11. Why didn't anyone announce it here?

Anyone else having problems with 11?

I'm getting very tired of updating my player only to find no difference whatsoever from the previous firmwares. I've had absolutely no issues with my S360, so unless there is some known issue out there that 11 fixes, I don't want to update. Are these just BD-Live enhancements or something?

Well, I finally upgraded to Firmware 011. Never had an issue with 008, but yesterday, I was in a crazy mood, so I figured what the heck! So, I did it. Upgrade was successful, but I didn't get a chance to try anything out. Chances are everything is the same as before.
post #1302 of 1364 Old 10-15-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:

Well, I finally upgraded to Firmware 011. Never had an issue with 008, but yesterday, I was in a crazy mood, so I figured what the heck! So, I did it. Upgrade was successful, but I didn't get a chance to try anything out. Chances are everything is the same as before.

Let us know how it goes. Wish you luck. The odds are still in your favor by a long ways...but F.Y.I. my update seemed fine also.
IDK why but i've been over on the SonyStyle message boards reading about more & more I updated the firmware and now my machine won't play problems.
I used to think that the flashing problem had to do with the internet. That the unit simply flashed was it received and didn't bother to checksum it or verify/validate it (as nothing appears on the screen to indicated this etc.). Like flashing the BIOS on a computer as it verifies the file before the actual flash.
WELL anyway starting to read more and more posts where people got the firmware flashing problem after burning the discs or using the discs that SONY freaking sent to them. ...so it's starting to seem like it's NOT the method of how the data gets to the player to be flashed (although that could still be a problem) but it seems to be something else. Perhaps the units that are experiencing the bad flash results have slightly different components in them than those that don't.... SINCE I'm off of warranty for it now (oops bought it with Discover card so no warranty doubling) --> i intend to open it up and take some pictures of the components. Perhaps the differences holds some key.

NO ONE @ SONY will admit their is a problem. Seriously, it calls to mind the South Park Chimpokoman episode of misdirection (racism aside). These firmware fark'd my unit posts GET ZERO SONY moderator attention or posts.
post #1303 of 1364 Old 10-15-2011, 08:17 PM

What we need is to find out HOW they do the re-flashing in Laredo TX at the Sony Repair facility.
Is the firmware stored on a ROM? If so are the techs down their erasing it? Because I know that you cannot (if say v....11 firmware is bad) you can't simply burn a (v....11) disc and re-write or re-upgrade it detects for us End users that it's already updated. Even though that's exactly what the tech who called me on the phone told me I could do... (Well maybe you can if you have some sony service device plugged in, if that's how they do it).

So the techs down their have some method around it. Do they clear the ROM, replace the ROM or otherwise have some master method of allowing the firmware to be re-done. I've never opened my unit so IDK where or what the chip looks like but since it's out of warranty I might just crack it open and post some pics.

Unfortunately, as some have tried...to wait simply for a new firmware to be released and hoped that it would overwrite and correct the problem ((However)) this is NOT what people report happens. They report that it updates, but it still doesn't fix the problem. It still plays or doesn't play the same percentage of BR's that it played [the same BR's that had once played before the well first bad UPDATE...] so this update does nothing to correct the problem.

DOES anyone know exactly what TOOL or TOOLS they use? Do they swap ROM CHIPS? Have a Disc or tool that erases the ROM makes it ready to accept a new firmware??? Some sort of Service tool? What / how do they do it?
post #1304 of 1364 Old 10-16-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:

"invalid disc" error I was (recently) having with my BDP-S560.

Hey Kontair. I had a thought. What if the players with the issue are responding to something in the firmware update bc of a component that is different. Wild guess. But I was wondering (now that our units our off of warranty) would you be interested in opening it up and taking some pictures of the boards and whatever you can see. I've not opening it so IDK what you can see but i intend to do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPowers View Post

My daughter and son-in-law had a Sony Blu-ray player that BRICKED during a firmware upgrade. Sony's response to-bad, buy a new player.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Finally just gave up and bought a new player. Hurt a lot when you paid $1,100 for the unit.

Hey, did they recycle or junk that? I would be interested to see photos of the unit internally. ** that is the main reason for this post. But just an after thought:
Also maybe their is some resale value of the drive itself?....
-------------------------------
To the part about HD-DVD's always playing. I was reading an article about this. It seems that Toshiba et.al. had a finished/set standard with which they were licensing HD-DVD technology. UNLIKE Sony & Blu-ray technology which was licensed and implemented before it was finalized (IDK if it is yet... I would assume so) but that combined with the DRM - Anti-copy protection B$ that they keep messing and changing is what is causing the Unknown read errors. There are other firmware flashing errors [SYS ERR]... but my point is despite it's shortcomings. HD-DVD had it's specs set before they started.
post #1305 of 1364 Old 10-17-2011, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Let us know how it goes. Wish you luck. The odds are still in your favor by a long ways...but F.Y.I. my update seemed fine also.

Firmware 11 has been running perfectly fine for me. Not sure why you're having issues. Perhaps, the update process didn't successfully install on your unit....
post #1306 of 1364 Old 10-17-2011, 03:50 PM

does the 11 firmware update remove hd or sd upconversion through component cables?
post #1307 of 1364 Old 10-18-2011, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljar View Post

does the 11 firmware update remove hd or sd upconversion through component cables?

I haven't used Component cables in a long time...but if memory serves (as with most up-converting devices it was supposed to be HDMI only) thanks to the MPAA's considerable power. They don't want people using the component / analog loophole to up-convert their dvds to a component recorder.

Just curious are you asking bc you think it did or just wondering?
Quote:

Firmware 11 has been running perfectly fine for me. Not sure why you're having issues. Perhaps, the update process didn't successfully install on your unit....

My issue was for the most part, was back in March / April \\ May when I first updated to V...11. Back then it seemed fine for a while, and my experience of about 60% failure to recognize BR's was better than most; but when BR's began not playing left and right about 2 out of 3 wouldn't play vs it playing everything before --> You and I wrote about this back then... you thought you had the latest firmware back then but you were still w/ 8 if you remember. Anyway

The update appeared to install fine for me (and for most as I said it's fine) but as a growing group of others have & continue to report (not just going from 8 to 11) but through all Sony Makes & models, and prior to 11 and in the models were updates are much more rapid ...something happens to a certain number of machines. Anyway mine was still under warranty so I mailed it to the repair center (my cost) and they re-flashed the firmware. ==> which is something that could really help resurrect the end users with that now are stuck with BR players that won't play BR' with reliability and consistency... or others stuck with glorified DVD players. The ability to re-flash is necessary to correct the problem. And those that chose not to pay the $125 + fee to Sony to do that have found that waiting (sometimes very long time) for the new updates has not, as they had hoped overwritten the errs. The new updates appear to work but bring them the same inconsistency they had after the initial problem. If it played 10% of BR's that's what they get. Unlike whatever they are able to do in Laredo, TX.
So far since it's return "Limitless" and LOTR T.E. Trilogy discs have been the only ones that have given me unknown disc messages. Unfortunately, I didn't have the LOTR T.E. T. to test before I started having problems I picked it up for $20 over the summer brand new and limitless wasn't out then either. They all played w/ PS3, Samsung Ht-c6703, and Sony BDP-s370. The only sony line that doesn't have this bad firmware issue is the PS3.

EDIT: I got the Unknown error for X-Men First Class (Blu-ray from Redbox) despite it playing fine in the Sony BDP-s370! :-( GRRRRRR!!!!
post #1308 of 1364 Old 10-18-2011, 12:13 PM

DA1745; I was wondering, because I use component (old TV), and don't want to update if I'm going to lose 1080i over component, for blu-ray or upconverted DVDs. The MPAA shutting down HD over component leads to my suspicion as to why there was a firmware update so early in 2011.
post #1309 of 1364 Old 10-24-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

DA1745; I was wondering, because I use component (old TV), and don't want to update if I'm going to lose 1080i over component, for blu-ray or upconverted DVDs. The MPAA shutting down HD over component leads to my suspicion as to why there was a firmware update so early in 2011.

Well I just pulled up the PDF for this one to refresh my memory, and it will only play 1080P over HDMI. And doesn't upconvert over Component.

So the question is more narrow asking if they eliminated 720P, 1080i over component (Blu-Ray playback). I would seriously doubt it. I'll try to remember next time I have things fired up to plug in component cables and verify at least 1080i.
post #1310 of 1364 Old 10-24-2011, 08:51 AM

Over on the BDP-s370 thread they posted the instructions to get into the service menu portion of the Sony BR players.
1) Un-plug the unit.
2) Then hold down Play+Stop+Eject and hold them while plugging in the unit. I got it on the second time. Here are some pictures.

I basically wondered what those particular delta op values meant.
Elsewhere I found what looks like the hours running playing each format [BD, DVD, CD]

Also notice the Version Up(dater) from the main menu --> It says it's prohibited but I wonder if that's because it doesn't detect a CD or DVD in the drive ... or if it would say that even with a Firmware disc in the drive? Not ready to test it out yet, as my unit hasn't past the point of "oh fudge it!" Is this how they overwrite the existing firmware? and would it allow me to go back to Version 08? ---> or does it always say prohibited and you need something additional (code) or keypresss or service device to allow the over-writing?
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #1311 of 1364 Old 10-24-2011, 08:54 AM

Just in case someone wanted to see the messages it shows when it won't read a perfectly good disc... I included some pictures.
UKNOWN - Cannot operate this disc - INVALID

The last two show LDtime of my unit and (1 of 13 error pages. Unfortunately they all have the same date code... so it's not really useful in telling me anything based on date, the rest of the error codes mostly are the same but once in a while there's something different --> but it's internal code stuff for Sony I don't see anything in it.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #1312 of 1364 Old 10-24-2011, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 314
^^^ looks to me like you just need to give it a good spindle and/or laser cleaning.
post #1313 of 1364 Old 10-25-2011, 04:04 PM

DA1745; "plug in component cables and verify at least 1080i."
That would be very much appreciated.
post #1314 of 1364 Old 10-26-2011, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

^^^ looks to me like you just need to give it a good spindle and/or laser cleaning.

If that was to me, It's only those few discs that won't play. The previous issue with the Firware was fixed by Sony Techs at Laredo by reflashing the firmware. However two of the three movies that won't be recognize by this BR player are new. People in the BDP-s370 (another unit I have) threads that didn't do that last Firmware update --> a much more recent firmware update, can't play the movie. My BDP-s370 is up to date and played the X-Men: First Class just fine, while my BDP-s560 cannot.

=====================================================
I got a link sent to me about a new person purporting a new problem / solution that caused' the UNKNOWN error. SO i decided to test it as best i could.

So far the list consists: of
1)FIRMWARE Issues: either the Sony doesn't have the instructions updated to handle the new DRM ==OR== the unit was updated and then began rejecting some percentage between 0 & 100% of Blu-rays. Usually it doesn't affect DVD playback but for some it does.
Known examples of this AVATAR, CRANK 2, ....anecdotal evidence that X-Men: First class required the newest firmware update (depending on which model BR player you own).
2)Dust on the laser. Some report that cleaning them restores the BR's reading ability - others have reported only a temporary fix (much like those that are able to get the disc to read after multiple eject menu button pushing attempts.
3)Laser is dying/dead although too many seem to jump to this conclusion and junk their units without really knowing.
4)Now the latest one posted in October on Sony's boards. That the player needed to be elevated slightly as the disc wasn't properly centering on the spindle.
...see below.
5)Plus all the other easily testible and fixable issues that cause a disc here or there not to play / or play incorrectly. Not having Memory (Crank 2), or having a memory stick installed, needing to disconnect from the internet bc of a problem with BD-Live, or the unit just getting bugged up and needing a settings restore, power cycle, or hard system restore. <==obviously the easiest as it just requires a little trial and error and there is no true underlying problem with the unit's hardware.
post #1315 of 1364 Old 10-26-2011, 12:27 AM

by USER-942769 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:03 am
USER-957262 wrote:
"> I was getting around a third of my discs coming back as "invalid
> disc" on my BDP-CX960. I took the cover off and watched the machine
> load discs. On the discs that came back as invalid, the machine hadn't
> physically loaded the disc properly; the disc didn't sit properly on the
> centering mechanism (i.e. - on the discs center hole) and the disc didn't
> spin. I stuck ~3/8" of magazines in below the front of the unit, and
> it was like a new machine. The disc started loading every time. In fact,
> the machine didn't work this well when I first got it. Part of the problem
> is our entertainment center is slightly sloped forward, so part of the
> "magazine solution" was correcting for the entertainment centers
> slope, though my machine needs just a touch inclination beyond level.
> Works great now, and much quieter when changing discs. It was a bit noisy
> from new when changing discs, but with a little bit of incline, it’s
> markedly better."
-------------------------------------------------------------
So after someone forwarded' me this link I decided to try several different positions with my unit. I could not get it to Load (LOTR T.E. Triology disc 1 & 3. However, I can hear it both spinning and the slider on which both lasers sit, scanning back & forth. I take it that's NOT what you were hearing before...
But after trying different orientations to horizontal (including up to 90 degrees sideways It didn't alter the experience or playback and it was still UKNOWN - INVALID - Cannot playback this disc - Cannot Operate this disc.

So since my unit is a month off warranty & I have other BR players (now) I decided to crack open the unit and see if I could replicate your success. The design of the BDP-s560 reminds me of a 70's muscle car. PLENTY of room to work around in there. With the cover off, there are two screws and 4 vertical, 2 horizontal tabs holding the cover onto the top of the drive - and one cable that had to temporarily be unplugged as it stretches directly across & over that top cover for the drive. Got it off, gave a gentle dry air blow across the lenses as I could see just the tiniest amount of dust with my flashlight (made sure not to spit etc.).

Next I hooked the unit up to power and inserted a Blu-Ray disk that is known to work w/ this unit. Nothing happened (said No Disc) on the front. I pressed eject & then closed it up again with the Disc in. This time it started to spin and I could see the purplish color of the laser through the top of the disc. Somehow I thought it was going to be BLUE BLUE, as in NAVY BLUE. Anyway, it wouldn't play it would stop spinning and then give an almost immediate INVALID. ==> Which again is NOT what normally happens for many of us. For many of us, the Sony BR player is working hard for about a minute. Searching back & forth we can hear the mechanism that the lasers slide on very clearly (unlike the short search it maybe does for 5 seconds or less when it recognizes a Blu-ray) and begins to start in 15-30 seconds when it displays the menu or BDLive sequence.

I was getting panicky (i can never think right when my stuff starts going bad. I was wondering WHY isn't it playing is it like some of those old VCR's that have light sensors or switches in them? And they won't begin playback if the cover is off? Or is it that the cover which has the top part of the spindle mechanism that helps hold and grip the discs is not present so there isn't enough downward pressure to make the disc spin. I tried ever so lightly to apply a little downward pressure, but it would have taken something like a light weight washer to hold it in place? IDK HOW you were able to have it open & watch all this?!?

BUT here's what I can say after trying this experiment.
One there is NO ONE UNIVERSAL - UNKNOWN - INVALID - Cannot Operate This Disc - Cannot Playback this disc ===> Problem.

For some it comes directly & immediately after a firmware reflashing. This is what happened to my unit. Played 100% of the Blu-Rays I tried in it while on FW Ver ....08. Updated to Ver ....11 wirelessly (multiple mistakes there --> don't do it via the internet especially wirelessly and DON"T UPGRADE if you don't have a problem!!!). Anyway the update appeared completely successful, until I the next time I attempted to play Blu-Rays. From that point on the unit WOULD'T READ 60-70% of the Blu-Rays I tried including BR's that it had read just fine prior to the Firmware update. Still read 100% of DVDs.
Shipped my unit for $15 down to Laredo, TX to Sony's Repair center (under warranty). They re-flashed the firmware and returned it to me ---> no mention of anything else done to the unit and no repairs etc. listed on the invoice. That fixed MOST of the problem. However, since the repair, Three discs Two Brand new Rentals from Redbox (Limitless & X-Men: First Class) were UNKNOWN & The LOTR T.E. Trilogy BR's that came out well over a year ago discs 1 & 3 are Uknown. The first two I believe are DRM / new information that require an update to run. The discs all play fine on my Sony BDP-s370 but it has a much newer Firmware available & it's installed. Those that didn't install the latest firmware on the BDP-s370 reported a problem playing that X-MEN.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SO... for ME the issue was not a balance or centering issue. It was FIRMWARE.
OTHERS have reported that a dirty lens was their culprit and cleaning the lens restore it to reading those BR's. However, given that my unit is playing about 96% of the Blu-Rays since coming back from repair, I think I can rule that out as my small current problem. Not saying it's not the issue for some units. This is proving to be one frustrating thing!
LL
LL
LL
post #1316 of 1364 Old 10-26-2011, 12:49 AM

Quote:

DA1745; "plug in component cables and verify at least 1080i." That would be very much appreciated.

OK. Tested this with the BDP-s560 & COMPONENT CABLES (per request). I unplugged all HDMI once I set it to output via component 1080i. So as suspected and per what I thought to be the "normal" bc of the MPAA et.al. & what's listed in the user manual; there is no up-converting via Component for DVD.
It plays DVD's at 480P (Used the DVD: Road Trip to test).
Then I stuck in the Blu-ray Ice Age The Meltdown. See pictures it does indeed still play at 1080i / 60 fps. And I have the latest factory installed FW Ver ...11. from Feb. 2011.
...but If you aren't having any problems ...(can't remember going back to read) there is NO UPSIDE to installing the latest BDP-s360 / BDP-s560 firmware, if you don't have any problems and your player is playing everything. IF it's not playing a whole bunch of BR's then the problem isn't going to be fixed by this update... and the update already seems outdated as more titles are not being recognized since the last update. Given the recent discs it doesn't seem to be playing they may be due sometime in the next quarter or two update it again.
LL
LL
LL
post #1317 of 1364 Old 10-27-2011, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

However, since the repair, Three discs Two Brand new Rentals from Redbox (Limitless & X-Men: First Class) were UNKNOWN & The LOTR T.E. Trilogy BR's that came out well over a year ago discs 1 & 3 are Uknown. The first two I believe are DRM / new information that require an update to run. The discs all play fine on my Sony BDP-s370 but it has a much newer Firmware available & it's installed. Those that didn't install the latest firmware on the BDP-s370 reported a problem playing that X-MEN.

I plan to buy X-Men First Class at some point. Not now, but at some point. When I do, I'll let you know if it plays or not.
post #1318 of 1364 Old 10-27-2011, 10:52 PM

DA1745; Thank you so much! Just as I suspected. I haven't had any problems yet, but with other blu-ray players, as soon as there's a problem with a disc, update. Since most discs played in this unit are DVDs, I'd rather have a couple unplayable discs than lose 1080i. It amazes me that the MPAA actually thinks shutting down 1080i over component solves anything. Don't any of them own a computer?
post #1319 of 1364 Old 11-24-2011, 03:32 PM

hi just connected my old s360 to my sony str-dh520 and for the life of me cannot get the 520 to do the decoding. 520 displays multi and lcpm

s360 settings
audio output - hdmi
audio (hdmi) auto
BD audio setting - direct
Audio att - off
Dolby digital -Dolby digital
DTS -DTS
48/96 - 48
Audio DRC - Auto
Downmix - Dolby

Never mind - a setting in the 520 had to be changed from tv+amp to just amp

Thanks!
post #1320 of 1364 Old 11-26-2011, 11:10 PM

hi,
i have a sony BDP-S360 does anyone knows if i can connect to netflix,vudu,youtube and other with this blu-ray?

i cant find much info about this,
thank you for any info!
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Sony Bdp S360 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player Accessory Kit , Sony Bdp S560 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony , Sony Bdv T11 Home Theater System
Gear in this thread - S560 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page