Sony BDP-S360 and BDP-S560 Blu-ray players (and BDP-BX2) - Page 46 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1351 of 1365 Old 07-05-2013, 08:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 420
End users can't go back to an older firmware.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 1365 Old 07-05-2013, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Does anyone know how to defeat the auto-shutdown on a 390? When paused or on the x-bar, mine powers down after a while (30 minutes?) no matter what the power management settings.

Thanks.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #1353 of 1365 Old 07-28-2013, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
@DA1745

I never found a root cause, but I suspect it was either the firmware was causing non-Sony discs to have difficulty playing, or that the read head was dirty.

I was agitated and just bought a new player. Since this player failed sooner than I felt it should have (after only about 2 years), I didn't even bother buying a Sony. I went with a Panasonic DMP-BDT220. It was relatively cheap ($99) and had some upgrades over my S360 (BDP-BX2), most notably streaming from Netflix & Amazon. At the time it seemed to be the highest rated consumer Blu-Ray player, other than going with an Oppo or a PS3.

To be fair, I am not really impressed with the streaming support of the Panasonic. It works, but it is slow to start and seems to have a problem once in a while. I has brought me to considering going with a Roku to provide streaming content. The Panasonic does play blu-rays fine and I have not run into a disc that it does not play (yet).
post #1354 of 1365 Old 08-01-2013, 12:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 46
It's kind of funny. My 360 also was suffering from the invalid disc message. I eventually gave up and just moved my 470 to that particular display. The funny part is that the old x60 line of Sony DVD players were also known to fail prematurely (usually right out of the year warranty). So both my Sony DVP-S360 and BDP-S360 failed well before they should have.

post #1355 of 1365 Old 08-27-2013, 12:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post

Your post is confusing. You say you sent-in your player for service and they re-flashed the firmware, but only to 011? Ver 011 is older than 6/21/2012--when did you send in your player for service?

Now it's at 011 and you're contemplating 014? It seems to me if you are having problems still, that this is the obvious thing to try.

As for using the Service Menu to "update firmware" e.g. to an older version, I didn't review that entire thread (link you posted) to see if anyone's tried this. In any case I would not mess with "grounding an EPROM pin" but I'd be surprised if the menu item "Version Updater" would brick your player i.e. did anyone in that thread try it? Insert a CD with the update on it (update meaning ver 008) and GO? I searched on UPDATA_11X008.ZIP and it's still available it seems.
It was indeed a long time ago if you think about it we are talking about a 2009 model (this player is quite old). I bought it heavily discounted as the last years model at the time so I ended up getting the full warranty but it started about the time that most people's 1 yr was ending at the time 011 hadn't been out all that long.. I did write extensively about this in this forum, IDK how many pages back it is now, during the "adventure" / when it was ongoing.
It had been using 08 perfectly, it was after doing the reported successful upgrade to 011 that problems began (that seemed like the likely suspect at the time however...), they simply re-flashed 011 on and would not go back to 08 for me.

Logically, I disagree that committing forever to 014 is the obvious thing to do. I spent hours at the time researching & some in the intervening years trying to problem solve that player's issues as well as get a feel for the problems of others. Firmware updates have an abnormally high rate of bricking these Sony's.
So under normal circumstances and with most devices (especially when correctable) the firmware upgrade would be the best solution to at least try (then rule in or out based on the results), however with no way to reverse it for under ~$120, and it still having a decent value to another besides me [as is], I'm going to keep going with it [as is] for the time being. It's certainly an option, but the problems that the firmware are likely there to address are new disc copyright protection schemes not actually to address the problem.

The problem became noticeable, prior to sending it to Laredo, TX for repair, on discs that had worked perfectly using 08 firmware, after being on 011 they were invalid. (I jumped to the conclusion that it was firmware as it was a nearby occurrence but the whole issue may not have been as simple as cause and effect).
I did come across a recent post that may hold some promise (doesn't involve bad firmware, dirty laser, weak laser, failing laser... and I'm hoping the person that posted it can provide some pictures / video as to exactly what they did.
I came back here to dig up the posts where I attached pictures from when i cracked open my BDP-s560.

EDIT: Also no one has yet posted or commented whether 014 Contains the Analog Kill Switch in it. These older players have a decent value when it comes to pairings with older HDTVs in that they can output via Component Cable at 1080i or 720P.
If someone would be kind enough to test 014 as to whether it keeps the BDP-s560 capable of 1080i over component I would be thankful. I posted the results when someone asked about that ability when 011 was the current firmware; I'm inclined to play the wait & see game. Might not be enough members left with working BDP-s560's to test that.... lol.

P.S. I don't really spend any time worrying about this unit. I literally have BR players coming out of my butt right now with deals I've been finding. At the time, it was my first & only and I didn't think it had paid for it self yet. PLUS to go from a RockStar to having issues gave me a project to work on and a battle to fight.
Sometimes you succeed and other times time passes it & you by w/o a satisfactory resolution. Though when by happenstance I stumbled upon his premise and extrapolated theory as to what is causing all or some of the invalid disc errors; it REALLY perked my curiosity enough to come over here & see where these threads are & to find my pictures/ refresh my memory of the data at the time.

Here's the link it's the 8-9-2013 post in case you are curious/interested.
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=8036942#post8036942
Quote:
Originally Posted by spec1alk View Post

@DA1745
I never found a root cause, but I suspect it was either the firmware was causing non-Sony discs to have difficulty playing, or that the read head was dirty.

I was agitated and just bought a new player. Since this player failed sooner than I felt it should have (after only about 2 years), I didn't even bother buying a Sony...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toknowshita View Post

It's kind of funny. My 360 also was suffering from the invalid disc message. I eventually gave up and just moved my 470 to that particular display. The funny part is that the old x60 line of Sony DVD players were also known to fail prematurely (usually right out of the year warranty). So both my Sony DVP-S360 and BDP-S360 failed well before they should have.
I multi-quoted you two in case this guy's post is of interest to you as well. Dated 8-9-2013
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=8036942#post8036942
post #1356 of 1365 Old 08-27-2013, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA1745 View Post

I literally have BR players coming out of my butt right now
Pics please!

On second thought, never mind...

wink.gif
post #1357 of 1365 Old 12-02-2013, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been having a strange issue lately with my BDP-S360 where I will play a dvd and the sound and image will drop out every few seconds. Sometimes it will fix itself, others I have to unplug the HDMI cable and plug it back in and it will work fine. Because of this quick-fix, I swapped the HDMI cable with the one in my cable box, but the issue persists, cable box works fine with either cable. The strange part is I have never noticed the player do this when playing a blu-ray, only dvds. Any idea what could be causing this?
post #1358 of 1365 Old 02-11-2014, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi all.

I had my first experience today with my BDP S360 not playing a disk. I'm still on FW 007 (from 2009) and resisted upgrading until I had a problem.

I tried to play the new Muse - Live at Rome Olympic Stadium BD. Filmed in Sony QuadHD, dontcha know!eek.gif

Anyway, I tried the disk in another BD player (in our home PC) and received an error that I needed an upgrade for the player. That only took a minute and I was off to the races. Works fine in our PC. The picture is absolutely spectacular, just FYI.

I called Sony and they're sending me a new FW disk...hope that's all it takes.

I believe version 014 is the current one?

Cheers.

Rich
post #1359 of 1365 Old 02-19-2014, 09:31 AM

Hmmm...FW update: Check. Replacement BD: Check. Still nothing.

The disk just spins in the unit but refuses to play. No error messages...just the sound of the disk spinning.

Weird.
post #1360 of 1365 Old 03-01-2014, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I just received this player today for free (BDP-S360). So far, it works great with my backups, but it is on firmware version 002. Is there a firmware version that implemented "Cinavia" protection. I want to upgrade, but I don't want Cinavia. Or is there a list of problem movies from firmware 002.

It would also be nice if I could download the older versions, but I don't see them on Sony's site.

Can one flash from a newer version to an older version?

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #1361 of 1365 Old 03-03-2014, 06:47 AM

Solution: bought a BDP-S6200. Life is good again.
post #1362 of 1365 Old 03-03-2014, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post

I just received this player today for free (BDP-S360). So far, it works great with my backups, but it is on firmware version 002. Is there a firmware version that implemented "Cinavia" protection. I want to upgrade, but I don't want Cinavia. Or is there a list of problem movies from firmware 002.

It would also be nice if I could download the older versions, but I don't see them on Sony's site.

Can one flash from a newer version to an older version?

Check the Sony support website. I doubt that any firmware for the BDP-S360 supports cinavia. From what I have seen, Sony has been very good about pointing out what firmware updates include cinavia in them.

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #1363 of 1365 Old 03-04-2014, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post

Check the Sony support website. I doubt that any firmware for the BDP-S360 supports cinavia. From what I have seen, Sony has been very good about pointing out what firmware updates include cinavia in them.

Their website is useless, it just says that the latest firmware was to "improve disc compatibility."

I managed to find an old copy of FW 011 and I upgraded it from 002 that was on the player and there is no Cinavia. I wasn't brave enough however, to upgrade to the latest 014 as I found one post on the internet stating that Cinavia was included in the update. Since I don't think you can flash back to older versions of the FW (that's a reason I like LG) I'm not going to try and upgrade it any further at this point.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #1364 of 1365 Old 03-04-2014, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post

Their website is useless, it just says that the latest firmware was to "improve disc compatibility."

I managed to find an old copy of FW 011 and I upgraded it from 002 that was on the player and there is no Cinavia. I wasn't brave enough however, to upgrade to the latest 014 as I found one post on the internet stating that Cinavia was included in the update. Since I don't think you can flash back to older versions of the FW (that's a reason I like LG) I'm not going to try and upgrade it any further at this point.

I think you will find that 95% of firmware updates from all manufacturers basically say the update is to improve compatibility as that is the primary reason for issuing firmware updates (to resolve problems, handle new menu programming, deal with whatever drm schemes studios dream up, etc.). Cinavia seems to require significant code and processing on the part of the player since it constantly scans for the cinavia code hidden in the audio track, so it isn't a trivial firmware update. Some folks have suggested that a processing chip needs to be in the player for it to work, but I haven't seen any confirmation of that. My guess is that Sony players of the S570 and earlier vintage will never be burdened with cinavia.
And you are correct: you cannot go backwards with firmware versions unless you find a way to fool the player into thinking the older firmware is actually newer than what is currently installed..

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #1365 of 1365 Old 10-03-2014, 06:42 PM

Here it is Oct 2014 and I just bought a used BDP-S560. It has a refurbished sticker on it. The firmware is 11.4.014, so the latest. I have not had access to any BR discs yet (which might seem odd).

What DAC chip is being used for audio L,R on the S560? Must be under the big heat sink?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Sony Bdp S360 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player Accessory Kit , Sony Bdp S560 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony , Sony Bdv T11 Home Theater System
Gear in this thread - S560 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page