Sony BDP-S360 and BDP-S560 Blu-ray players (and BDP-BX2) - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1364 Old 05-26-2009, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
will the sony send the new codecs via hdmi audio to a capable receiver when hooked up with component for video?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1364 Old 05-27-2009, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGood View Post

will the sony send the new codecs via hdmi audio to a capable receiver when hooked up with component for video?

No problem with that as I tried it. The Pioneer 51FD would not however and one of the reasons I returned it.

Still have the Sony S360 and I really like it watching True Blood!
post #183 of 1364 Old 05-27-2009, 06:30 PM

Got my S360 in a few days ago. Thought I mention it here, that I now use my old S300 remote, the RMT-B101P with the S360 as it does all the S360 remote does plus the eject button of the B101P works fine with the S360. OK, maybe not all as there's no substitute for the time button! Well anyway this might be a solution for the "eject cult" out there. I just love the S360 and cant wait to see how it compares with the Oppo when I get it in about a months time, hopefully. Don't we just love all these shiny new HD toys that are coming out. Makes you nearly forget about the recession and those crazy little North Koreans! Lets just enjoy the toys while we still can!
post #184 of 1364 Old 05-27-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post

No problem with that as I tried it. The Pioneer 51FD would not however and one of the reasons I returned it.

Still have the Sony S360 and I really like it watching True Blood!

Good to hear and thanks......I know the 51 won't do it and I briefly had the Sony 350 and it seemed to not be able to either.
post #185 of 1364 Old 05-27-2009, 09:27 PM

I just got one of these players and tried to do the Network Update but got a failure message. I know the connection works fine and the unit has an IP address. My BDP-S350 worked fine. Is it just because an update isn't available yet or do I have a faulty unit? I also can't access BD Live with the disk I tried.
post #186 of 1364 Old 05-28-2009, 08:53 AM

Aggie, I am having the exact same issue as you. I have not tried BD Live yet because I know that you have to plug in a usb thumb drive to make BD Live work. I came on this site to see if the network connection for updates required the thumb drive also or whether anyone had a solution to the issue of not being able to connect to the internet for updates. I have the S360.
post #187 of 1364 Old 05-28-2009, 09:23 AM

Update, Aggie: I found a USB drive and plugged it in the back. I was able to access BD-Live but still not able to do a network update to the Sony. It is possible that there is a problem with the Sony update servers. I would wait another day or so before deciding there is a problem with the player itself.
post #188 of 1364 Old 05-29-2009, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyConVal View Post

Harmony makes so many different remotes. So what, pray do tell, is the model # of your Harmony Remote?

I have the Harmony 550.
post #189 of 1364 Old 05-30-2009, 04:59 PM

For what's worth, the esupport.sony site says that no FW update is available for the BDP-S360.
post #190 of 1364 Old 05-31-2009, 09:36 PM

Hello Guys i was wondering if anybody could help me out. I currently purchased this blu-ray player and i like it a lot only theres one problem i cannot perform a network update. I tried several times but all i get is a message on the t.v. saying that there was a network problem (connection status cannot be confirmed, could not detect the server). I looked under network settings and performed a test and it came back ok i dont know what to do i exchanged it once already thinking it was the player and just to let you know everything else works fine (PS3,HDDVD,XBOX360,Laptop) etc. What can i do to solve this issue?
post #191 of 1364 Old 06-01-2009, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
is Sony partnering with anyone like netflix to stream movies. I was towards the LG BD390 which has netflix, you tub and cinema now. I cant see having wifi and not having any other streaming features.
post #192 of 1364 Old 06-02-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curse76 View Post

Hello Guys i was wondering if anybody could help me out. I currently purchased this blu-ray player and i like it a lot only theres one problem i cannot perform a network update. I tried several times but all i get is a message on the t.v. saying that there was a network problem (connection status cannot be confirmed, could not detect the server). I looked under network settings and performed a test and it came back ok i dont know what to do i exchanged it once already thinking it was the player and just to let you know everything else works fine (PS3,HDDVD,XBOX360,Laptop) etc. What can i do to solve this issue?

I can not connect to their server to: check for a FW update, register my 360 (website claims my session timed out), or connect to support chat.
I did manage to get an email off to them about all this. If it really went through, maybe they'll be able to explain all of this.
Has anyone been able to register their 360 on line, get through to check for a FW update, or engage in Sony's support chat??
post #193 of 1364 Old 06-02-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:

I can not connect to their server to: check for a FW update, register my 360 (website claims my session timed out), or connect to support chat.
I did manage to get an email off to them about all this. If it really went through, maybe they'll be able to explain all of this.
Has anyone been able to register their 360 on line, get through to check for a FW update, or engage in Sony's support chat??

I had no problem registering my 360 online. There is no firmware update as of yet.

DaveG
post #194 of 1364 Old 06-03-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamos View Post

I had no problem registering my 360 online. There is no firmware update as of yet.

I had my browser set to not accept cookies from sony.com. If their website had properly trapped that error I would not have been confused about it. Instead it told me that my session had timed out.
post #195 of 1364 Old 06-04-2009, 03:34 PM

Contrary to what I have seen posted in this forum, the 360 will remember where you have last stopped playback of a BD disc and resume playing from that point. This assumes that you have not opened the disc tray or removed the external memory since you stopped playback, but you can turn the player off without losing the resume-point. See page 31 of the manual for details.

Also the 360 will playback in slow motion and single-frame advance. See page 9 of the manual for details. And finally, even though the remote lacks an eject button, you can get the remote to close the disc tray by pressing the remote's play button or its power button.
post #196 of 1364 Old 06-05-2009, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
The Sony web site is allowing pre-orders on the 560S with the comment "Pre-sale item available on or about 06/07/2009. We will email you when your product ships."

This contradicts the "Estimated availability is mid-July." on the main screen.

Does anyone know when this player is going to be available?
post #197 of 1364 Old 06-05-2009, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Contrary to what I have seen posted in this forum, the 360 will remember where you have last stopped playback of a BD disc and resume playing from that point. This assumes that you have not opened the disc tray or removed the external memory since you stopped playback, but you can turn the player off without losing the resume-point. See page 31 of the manual for details.

Also the 360 will playback in slow motion and single-frame advance. See page 9 of the manual for details. And finally, even though the remote lacks an eject button, you can get the remote to close the disc tray by pressing the remote's play button or its power button.

Never thought to try that not that it is a big concern for me. It is nice having the tray opened as I don't like putting my fingers on a player and the disc is waiting to be entered/removed after my short walk.
post #198 of 1364 Old 06-05-2009, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

This will only work for non-Java BD's (rare these days) and standard DVD's.....
post #199 of 1364 Old 06-05-2009, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Is the 560 remote backlit?
post #200 of 1364 Old 06-05-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie2009 View Post

I just got one of these players and tried to do the Network Update but got a failure message. I know the connection works fine and the unit has an IP address. My BDP-S350 worked fine. Is it just because an update isn't available yet or do I have a faulty unit? I also can't access BD Live with the disk I tried.[IMG]http://***************/9/P/i.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://***************/9/R/i.jpg[/IMG]

I believe its just because the update isn't available, doubtful the unit is faulty due to this
post #201 of 1364 Old 06-06-2009, 09:24 AM

Evidently Sony now has their update server online and working, because I just now got this response from selecting the Update feature on the 360: "Already Updated", instead of the former: "Connection Status can not be confirmed."

My router log says that the 360 connected to my DNS server and then to IP address: 202.213.242.5 which "who is'es" to: Japan Network Information Center, Sinfony Service.
post #202 of 1364 Old 06-06-2009, 07:10 PM

I noticed a few Onkyo receiver owners have said they have to jack their audio up to get a decent volume with the use of the S360. Is this still present on this player? I usually never go below -19 or -18 when I play a DVD. So if I have to jack it up to -11 or -10 to get a decent volume then that's not something I'm comfortable with.

Any other info on the use of having to jack the volume up to get a good decent sound?
post #203 of 1364 Old 06-07-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airgumby View Post

I noticed a few Onkyo receiver owners have said they have to jack their audio up to get a decent volume with the use of the S360. Is this still present on this player? I usually never go below -19 or -18 when I play a DVD. So if I have to jack it up to -11 or -10 to get a decent volume then that's not something I'm comfortable with.

Any other info on the use of having to jack the volume up to get a good decent sound?

I haven't noticed a problem with low volume output on the 360. What bothers me with nearly all movies is having to crank the volume up so that I can understand the mumbly dialogue, and then having to crank it back down in order to avoid waking the neighbors whenever the movie starts playing loud mood/background music.
EDIT: changed "they" to "the movie"
post #204 of 1364 Old 06-07-2009, 03:22 PM

Liked: 11
SillyConVal suggested I ask this here: I'm considering the S360, but my wife is hearing impaired and need to check to see if it supports both subtitles (it almost surely does, I have no doubt) and closed captions, rather than relying on the television to decode closed captions. I know, for sure, that Smallville Season 5 and Dexter Season 2 DVDs are closed captioned but not subtitled into English. So if anyone has both one of these Blu-ray disc players and one of these DVD sets, and would be willing to check to see if there is a way to decode the closed captions without falling back on using composite video, we'd really appreciate it. (I suspect that it doesn't work, but if it does then that would definitely help put us over the top in terms of our purchase.)
post #205 of 1364 Old 06-08-2009, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

SillyConVal suggested I ask this here: I'm considering the S360, but my wife is hearing impaired and need to check to see if it supports both subtitles (it almost surely does, I have no doubt) and closed captions, rather than relying on the television to decode closed captions. I know, for sure, that Smallville Season 5 and Dexter Season 2 DVDs are closed captioned but not subtitled into English. So if anyone has both one of these Blu-ray disc players and one of these DVD sets, and would be willing to check to see if there is a way to decode the closed captions without falling back on using composite video, we'd really appreciate it. (I suspect that it doesn't work, but if it does then that would definitely help put us over the top in terms of our purchase.)

There is nothing in the manual about close caption support, just subtitles.
post #206 of 1364 Old 06-08-2009, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airgumby View Post

I haven't notice any volume issues with this player. You may try checking out page 46 of the manual covering Audio DRC (dynamic range compression) and experiment with other settings. I'm using Wide Range myself but you could try Standard or TV Mode. Auto is the default.
post #207 of 1364 Old 06-08-2009, 05:35 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post

There is nothing in the manual about close caption support, just subtitles.

Thanks... that's what I was afraid of.
post #208 of 1364 Old 06-08-2009, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, I just finished reading this thread. I can say that I personally perfer playing Blu-ray movies on the BDP-S360 over the PS3. The PS3 and Xbox 360 for that matter both served a purpose for me in the movie department until I was ready to get a dedicated stand-alone player. Comparing the BDP-S360 to the PS3 has given me a new appreciation of how good the PS3 is at playing Blu-ray movies. I've JP1'ed my universal remote with an eject button and prefer to BDP-S360's less noise, less heat and bitstreaming to my Sony STR-DG920 Sony Receiver while playing. No reason at all to ditch the PS3, it will just be dedicated to gaming. The BDP-S360's lack of Wi-Fi means nothing to me or anyone with the ability and foresight to have wired ethernet at the component location. I just plugged in the cable and was off and running without any network security settings, etc. I briefly had a Samsung BDP-1590 that I returned to the local Wal-Mart because it had audio drop outs in my setup. I exchanged it for the Sony BDP-S360. However, I must admit that I really miss the Netflix and Pandora features alot.
post #209 of 1364 Old 06-08-2009, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeewing View Post

The Sony web site is allowing pre-orders on the 560S with the comment "Pre-sale item available on or about 06/07/2009. We will email you when your product ships."

This contradicts the "Estimated availability is mid-July." on the main screen.

Does anyone know when this player is going to be available?

Update: The Sony website now says that the S560 is "Temporarily out of stock. We will email you when your product ships."
post #210 of 1364 Old 06-08-2009, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post

Well, I just finished reading this thread. I can say that I personally perfer playing Blu-ray movies on the BDP-S360 over the PS3. The PS3 and Xbox 360 for that matter both served a purpose for me in the movie department until I was ready to get a dedicated stand-alone player. Comparing the BDP-S360 to the PS3 has given me a new appreciation of how good the PS3 is at playing Blu-ray movies. I've JP1'ed my universal remote with an eject button and prefer to BDP-S360's less noise, less heat and bitstreaming to my Sony STR-DG920 Sony Receiver while playing. No reason at all to ditch the PS3, it will just be dedicated to gaming. The BDP-S360's lack of Wi-Fi means nothing to me or anyone with the ability and foresight to have wired ethernet at the component location. I just plugged in the cable and was off and running without any network security settings, etc. I briefly had a Samsung BDP-1590 that I returned to the local Wal-Mart because it had audio drop outs in my setup. I exchanged it for the Sony BDP-S360. However, I must admit that I really miss the Netflix and Pandora features alot.

I prefer the S360 to the PS3 for BDs. I think it is really a matter of synergy between display and player in part for PQ. No fan noise is a factor while watching but it wouldn't be a personal factor for me if the BD PQ wasn't as good. For me though, I feel the S360 has better PQ. SD DVD playback is about the same for what I've tried so far.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Sony Bdp S360 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player Accessory Kit , Sony Bdp S560 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony , Sony Bdv T11 Home Theater System
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page