Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 3252 Old 04-27-2009, 10:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnaks View Post

Network sharing is limited to your basic formats: jpg, mp3, etc so don't look for anything special out of it (ie. FLAC, Divx) -- though admittedly, that's more than some.

DivX is supposed to be able to be played streaming - havent't gotten my Share to work yet so can't test it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 3252 Old 04-28-2009, 07:48 AM

DivX streaming works, sort of.
When you use WiFi streaming stack sometime between 1h:13min - 1h:16min of playback. Could not finished watching any movies.
Have not tried wired.
DivX from DVD or USB stick does not get stuck.
post #273 of 3252 Old 04-28-2009, 11:39 AM

A few quick questions:

1) Can I change the settings so that when I put a disc in, it goes to the menu rather than auto-playing the movie?

2) Where can I find Netflix and Pandora on this thing? I've looked everywhere and there's no mention of it in the manual. I'm in Canada so perhaps those features are not included here?
post #274 of 3252 Old 04-28-2009, 12:33 PM

I got a p3600 on sunday. I'm new to the blu-ray market. I was debating between ps3 and the one of these new "streaming" blu-ray players.

so far i'm very impressed with both the video and audio quality on my pioneer elite TV. I have not had any loading problems with any DVDs yet, but I've only tried 3.

the load time is a little slow, but that seems to be a standard blu-ray issue. one thing that is frustrating so far, is that when the blu-ray is loading, i can't exit out to the player menu. I think the comment above me, has the same complaint. It would be nice when the player starts up, if it gave you the option to choose blu-ray, right next to the buttons on the screen that already exist for netflix and pandora. I have had a couple of lock ups when switching from blu-ray to the menu system of the player. a quick on/off of the player fixed the issue.

I don't have a netflix account so i can't comment.
I've always been a huge pandora fan, so this is a great addition to my stereo rack! I had zero problems setting up the wireless for pandora and pandora has been working very well.

the streaming pc stuff, clearly has some kinks to work out, as expected. mine finds my xp machine with no problems, but i always have to hard code my vista machine IP in, in order to be found. (every time i start the player, i have to re-enter the address). I've viewed jpgs without any problems. when viewing though, their is some additional menus, text on the screen, that i wish i could remove (haven't figured out how yet). but so far, i'm happy with the jpg viewing.

i haven't been able to get a video stream working yet because i don't think i have anything to stream! I thought i had some divx movies on my computer, but i guess i'm wrong. I'll have to download something i know is divx for sure to test I filled a shared folder with a ton of different movie formats, and the player did not see any of the files. I'm still trying to figure this portion out.

I'm really interested to see if anything is done in future firmware updates about improving the current PC streaming feature. So far the player is worth it to me because of the success of pandora.
post #275 of 3252 Old 04-29-2009, 09:41 AM

I have now had two of these units die on me completely. I'm waiting for the Oppo.
post #276 of 3252 Old 04-29-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poefolk View Post

I recently spent time in a chat session with the Samsung helpdesk trying to get the audio to work via the optical connection to my Denon AVS-3803. I did not get any LFE sound and the surrounds were directed to my front main speakers. I've tried all the audio settings but nothing worked. After trying different things, he suggested I return the unit and try again. I did but the issue remains.

Then I tried taking the analog 5.1 cables off of my Pioneer DV-45A DVD and connected it to the 3600. I ran the speaker test and the LFE worked but the surrounds still came out of the front speakers.

How is this even possible?
What is the best method of connecting a BD to a non-HDMI receiver?

Thx.

Audio for my BD-P3600 is connected to a Sherbourn 7010/A processor using 7.1 analogs for discs with uncompressed (DTS-HD, Dolby HD, etc.), and by digitial optical cable for those that do not have uncompressed audio. Sherbourn is older and does not have HDMI inputs so hdmi is direct to 52" Sony Bravia. Sherbourn allows you to select the analog "8 Channel" inputs for any source, but is only useful at this point for discs on thh BD-P3600 with uncompressed (and works fine). Default digital is Dolby PLII-X, but processor automatically switches to Dolby Digital or DTS 5.1 when the signal is detected from other sources, but I noticed the other day that it was not switching just sitting on Dolby PL while playing any disc that had no uncompressed. Check audio settings/speakers, let me run through test for all 8 speakers, but tone is only out of center and Front L/R. Signal is clearly going to processor by digital optical, but still only 2 channel. I assume the HDMI is sending signal back to BD player telling it that tv only has 2 channels, so tried running video into processor by composite connection as well (but did not disconnect hdmi from BD player), it made no difference. Going to try running only digital opt and composite to see if my assumption is right, but this is not a solution as would have to change connections to watch blu ray.
post #277 of 3252 Old 04-29-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengoavs View Post

I just bought this player, and have only played 4-5 blu-ray disks. The Netlix, Pandora and DVD's have all worked as promised, and so did the other blu-ray disks, but The Spirit has not. Twice. I thought it was a damaged disk, so I returned it to Netflix and they sent another- same thing as you- perfect sound, no picture. Must be an incompatibility issue.

I had the same problem with the Spirit disc. Exchanged it for another new one, same problem. Talked to Samsung support, no help other than telling me to hold down the chapter foward button (on the unit) to reset. Finally, I made not of the fact that the Spirit disc has you download a firmware update before loading the previews. If you look at the software license, you see the update is not by Samsung, but by the movie distributor, Lionsgate. After re-setting the player again, when loading the movie I "rejected" the update, and played it with no problem. I assume the "update" is actually some promo materials Lionsgate wanted to pump into the player.
post #278 of 3252 Old 04-29-2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winner26 View Post

A few quick questions:

2) Where can I find Netflix and Pandora on this thing? I've looked everywhere and there's no mention of it in the manual. I'm in Canada so perhaps those features are not included here?

No Netflix or Pandora available in Canada. That why Canadian firmware does not have it.
post #279 of 3252 Old 04-29-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lim20 View Post

No Netflix or Pandora available in Canada. That why Canadian firmware does not have it.

Should have bought one in the States and brought it up here myself. I get sick of the red tape we have to deal with here when in the USA prices are cheaper and there's more selection than I'll ever experience.
post #280 of 3252 Old 04-30-2009, 06:26 AM

Just picked up a unit for $300. The load times are faster than the Sammy BD-P2550 sold via BB last year. I bought the unit for the Netflix. Pandora and Wi-Fi capablity. I have to wait until this weekend to configured the Wi-Fi. First impressions are very good.
post #281 of 3252 Old 04-30-2009, 08:05 PM

I found one open box tonight at BB and thought I'd give it a try. The player is non-responsive. Movies never load. I tried BluRay and regular DVDs and nothing ever happens. Also pushing any buttons on the remote other than power or eject have no function. I can't get a menu to come up. Is this a problem others have seen before? I'm going to exchange tomorrow and give it another try.
post #282 of 3252 Old 04-30-2009, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lava Lamp Freak View Post

I found one open box tonight at BB and thought I'd give it a try. The player is non-responsive. Movies never load. I tried BluRay and regular DVDs and nothing ever happens. Also pushing any buttons on the remote other than power or eject have no function. I can't get a menu to come up. Is this a problem others have seen before? I'm going to exchange tomorrow and give it another try.

What type of display do you have it connected to? I recall someone mentioning that the default display output, in some cases, has been out of the range of some displays. I think mine was set to 1080p with 24fps. Have you tried hooking up an SD output, just to see if you can get into the menu?

Hope you can get it to work, as I am finding this player to be far better than my old BD-UP5000 ...except the fact that it doesn't play HD DVD.

Cheers,
Spence

SpenceJT

www.spenceplace.com

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!"
- Malcolm Reynolds, Capt. "Serenity" -
post #283 of 3252 Old 04-30-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpenceJT View Post

What type of display do you have it connected to? I recall someone mentioning that the default display output, in some cases, has been out of the range of some displays. I think mine was set to 1080p with 24fps. Have you tried hooking up an SD output, just to see if you can get into the menu?

Hope you can get it to work, as I am finding this player to be far better than my old BD-UP5000 ...except the fact that it doesn't play HD DVD.

Cheers,
Spence

It displays the default background picture but just never does anything. The unit itself is just non-responsive.
post #284 of 3252 Old 04-30-2009, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It displays the default background picture but just never does anything. The unit itself is just non-responsive.

oh crap! Not so good then. Have you tried a reset? I'm about to take my daughter up to bed, so I can't look it up, but I believe you remove any discs, and press/hold the ffwd button, which clears everything and sets it back to defaults.

Other than that, you've probably got a bad unit. First I have heard of a DOA unit (even open box).

SpenceJT

www.spenceplace.com

post #285 of 3252 Old 04-30-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:

oh crap! Not so good then. Have you tried a reset? I'm about to take my daughter up to bed, so I can't look it up, but I believe you remove any discs, and press/hold the ffwd button, which clears everything and sets it back to defaults.

Other than that, you've probably got a bad unit. First I have heard of a DOA unit (even open box).

Thanks for the help. I just gave that a try and nothing happens. When I push the FF button it makes a single beep. I tried holding it for up to 10 seconds and nothing happens. The manual says hold for 5 to reset. If I push stop it makes two beeps quickly.

What is supposed to happen when you power on the unit? I have a static bluish background with some different shades of dots on the screen. The display on the unit reads "On" and then quickly changes to "Load" upon powering on and never changes. This is with nothing in the drive. If I place a disc in the drive and close the door the screen reads "Close" and stays on that permanently.
post #286 of 3252 Old 05-01-2009, 04:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the help. I just gave that a try and nothing happens. When I push the FF button it makes a single beep. I tried holding it for up to 10 seconds and nothing happens. The manual says hold for 5 to reset. If I push stop it makes two beeps quickly.

What is supposed to happen when you power on the unit? I have a static bluish background with some different shades of dots on the screen. The display on the unit reads "On" and then quickly changes to "Load" upon powering on and never changes. This is with nothing in the drive. If I place a disc in the drive and close the door the screen reads "Close" and stays on that permanently.

Lava,

Here is the post that I was referring to;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Rabbit View Post

I had the same problem. I have an older Mitsubishi set with only 1 HD input. The HD input won't accept 480i, so I wasn't getting video to the Tv, jsut a scrambled mess. I connected the player up to another input using component cables and then i was able to see the video output. I went into the menu setting and changed the output to 1080i and then I was able to use the player on my HD input.
I think the player is set to 480i as a default, so if the input you are using won't accept 480i, you might want to try a different connection first to change the resolution output. Worked for me.

The direct link is at;
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post16349726

Not sure if it sounds familiar to what you have been experiencing. If this doesn't work, you should probably try to get it returned while you can.

Regards,
Spence

SpenceJT

www.spenceplace.com

post #287 of 3252 Old 05-01-2009, 04:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Lava,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Rabbit View Post

I had the same problem. I have an older Mitsubishi set with only 1 HD input. The HD input won't accept 480i, so I wasn't getting video to the Tv, jsut a scrambled mess. I connected the player up to another input using component cables and then i was able to see the video output. I went into the menu setting and changed the output to 1080i and then I was able to use the player on my HD input.
I think the player is set to 480i as a default, so if the input you are using won't accept 480i, you might want to try a different connection first to change the resolution output. Worked for me.

The direct link is at;

Not sure if it sounds familiar to what you have been experiencing. If this doesn't work, you should probably try to get it returned while you can.

Regards,
Spence

SpenceJT

www.spenceplace.com

post #288 of 3252 Old 05-01-2009, 12:33 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA HDman View Post

Just picked up a unit for $300. The load times are faster than the Sammy BD-P2550 sold via BB last year. I bought the unit for the Netflix. Pandora and Wi-Fi capablity. I have to wait until this weekend to configured the Wi-Fi. First impressions are very good.

where did you buy it for $300?
can you post a link?
post #289 of 3252 Old 05-01-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:

Lava,

The direct link is at;

Regards,
Spence

No, this is a different problem. I tried using other connections and it is the same. I exchanged it for an open box 2550 at BB today and it does the exact same thing as the open box 3600. It just hangs with "Load" on the unit display and never does anything. I called Samsung and they said it is a bad unit and would need to be sent in for repair. Doing a search on Google I've found others with dead Samsung BD players just like this. Also people discussed it happening here on AVS Forum in the 2500/2550 thread. Some say it works fine for months and then just stops working and becomes stuck on a load screen. I think I'm gonna try a different brand.
post #290 of 3252 Old 05-02-2009, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timewaster View Post

where did you buy it for $300?
can you post a link?

It was a promo through a local A/V installer. Samsung does not allow the local dealer/installers to sell their products over the internet. PM me your contact information and I'll see if they can sell you one.
post #291 of 3252 Old 05-02-2009, 08:18 PM

I'm looking to get my first Blu Ray Player and will be using it with my Samsung LN46A650 television. I'm primarily looking to get a Samsung since I have a Samsung television.
I'm wondering what would be my best option? I looked at the P2500 and the P3600 and both of them seem to get positive reviews from review sites and user reviews alike. I'm wondering what are the main differences between these two players. From what I know so far the main differences are that the P3600 is wireless when using Netflix, and the P2500 has better DVD upconverting. If these are the only major differences then I'm going to go with the P3600 as the wireless is a bigger deal than the upconverting.

Thanks for all the help.
post #292 of 3252 Old 05-02-2009, 10:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by copr View Post

I'm looking to get my first Blu Ray Player and will be using it with my Samsung LN46A650 television. I'm primarily looking to get a Samsung since I have a Samsung television.
I'm wondering what would be my best option? I looked at the P2500 and the P3600 and both of them seem to get positive reviews from review sites and user reviews alike. I'm wondering what are the main differences between these two players. From what I know so far the main differences are that the P3600 is wireless when using Netflix, and the P2500 has better DVD upconverting. If these are the only major differences then I'm going to go with the P3600 as the wireless is a bigger deal than the upconverting.

Thanks for all the help.

If those are your standards then by all means go for the 3600-for me dvd upscaling is a bigger issue so I have a 2500.
post #293 of 3252 Old 05-03-2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copr View Post

Thanks for all the help.

Well I had the 2550, took it back and got the 3600, boy im sorry I did that! I tried to get the 2550 back but BB had sold out. So im now stuck with the 3600, have taken it back 3 times, they all had the same bugs in them. All I can do at this point is hope sammy fixes the networking issues with a FW upgrade in the future!
post #294 of 3252 Old 05-03-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDaygo0311 View Post

So after putting 35 Blue Ray discs through the player.........6 of them worked. Obviously not a firmware issue. I returned the player and exchanged it for a new one. Come to find out the BD lens was damaged and the fan was inoperable so it was overheating. My new player works beautifully with all of my discs! Phenomenal picture quality.

NOW my only issue is I cannot access netflix and pandora 100% of the time. Sometimes it comes on other times it tells me to make sure my samsung player has an internet connection. When i run the network test I keep failing the Internet Service Test. I'm connected to the access point, th IP, Gateway, DNS, etc. test all pass I just fail the Internet Service Test. Has anyone run into this problem, and/or have any suggestions what I might need to do. I have talk with samsung tech support........not very helpful at all.........all they did was read off what was already in the operations manual, and then told me to hit the fast forward button on the console to reset it back to the factory setting and try again. I am not very computer literate so any help would be great. Thanks.

Did you ever solve this problem? I just bought mine yesterday and am having the exact same issue. The Netflix worked at first but then did not after I shut it off. I did the hard reset and then it worked again, but after I shut it off, it stopped working.
post #295 of 3252 Old 05-03-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjpoli View Post

Did you ever solve this problem? I just bought mine yesterday and am having the exact same issue. The Netflix worked at first but then did not after I shut it off. I did the hard reset and then it worked again, but after I shut it off, it stopped working.

he got a new unit and his issues were resolved, iirc. also, the network connection tends to take a little bit to start up -- i can push the pandora button 4 times after immediate startup before the network will be recognized. ie. the network connection is not maintained when it is turned off...settings should be, but it needs to renew its connection at startup each time. make sure it's not that first...
post #296 of 3252 Old 05-03-2009, 12:51 PM

I have a 2550 and a 3600. The 2550 is hard wired to the router (about three feet away) and the 3600 is running wireless (802.11n/g). I'm using Cox as my ISP and typically see 15-20 mbps speed. My first impression is that the 3600 boots a little faster. Less than 20 sec to reach the splash screen. I haven't clocked the two side by side however the 3600 may be slightly faster to start a movie -- perhaps 10 sec faster -- it still takes almost a minute for being off to start a movie. The wireless connection appears just as strong as the hardwired connection. The 3600 is up one flight and about 60 feet from the router.

The 3600 appears to be slightly sharper (although it is driving a Sammy 42inch 750 series where the 2550 is driving either a Sammy 52" 71 series or the JVC DLA-RS2). Even on SD material the 3600 appears to be sharper -- could be the LCD however other 1080p upconverting dvd players don't look this good. Within the first 24 hours my mother-in-law, 15 year old son and wife all commented on how good the picture looked. Comments such as -- "it looks like you are really there" ..."I find myself looking at the details in the picture instead of watching the movie" ..."Wow". Everyone is accustom to watching full 1080p via the 2550 or PS3 on either the 52" Sammy of the JVC on a 110" screen, so I was shocked to here their comments about the 3600.

I've connected it to Netflix, Pandora, two PCs (hardwired on the Lan) and a USB drive with no significant problems. It has hung once or twice on a slide show on a 16 GB thumb drive, but only for 30 sec and then it came back on its own.

No comments so far. I need to plug both units into the same display and see if there is a difference.
post #297 of 3252 Old 05-04-2009, 03:48 AM

I just bought a BD-P3600 on Saturday, and spent a bit of time tinkering with it.

Here is my configuration:
Samsung 40A530 for my display.
Yamaha RX-V463 amp set up with 5.0(no subwoofer)
Samsung BD-P3600

I am using a fiber-optic cable for my audio direct to the amp, and for now, component video cables to the display. The amp only supports HDMI 1.2, so I figure that the audio going direct via toslink and the video going direct from the player to the display would make the most sense.

For the networking, I have been having problems with the DHCP from my router, so going with manual TCP/IP settings are what I had to do. This has nothing to do with the player since one of my computers has the same problem. So, I blame the router for DHCP issues, so others may or may not run into problems. I am getting three bars out of five for the wireless signal strength. For people who can not get their player to talk on the network, you may want to try setting the IP address, subnet mask, gateway address, and DNS server manually.

I will note here that I observe the need to shut down the unit after several hours if I want to change from Pandora to a disc, and that using the browser to stream content from computers also stops working after some time. Rebooting the unit resolves this, and I suspect the wireless networking is a little buggy. This should not be a show stopper for most people, but it is a little annoying. So, if it is working and stops responding, a quick power off and on again may resolve this.

Since Microsoft networking is a little funky, some people may run into issues sharing their files on the network. Again, this can often be caused by computers(some just don't like to share, some machines won't show up without some tinkering when you browse from other computers, etc). What this means is that the player not seeing one or more computers may be the fault of those computers that are not being seen and not the player.

For disc playback, I do not have another BluRay player to compare with, but the BD-P3600 has a requirement that you use HDMI to upscale normal DVD discs. Also, output is limited to 1080i with component video cables which are not even included, just the old "yellow" composite and red/white cables. Why they would include the old red/white/yellow cable but not a component video cable is beyond me, but I will mention it when I call Samsung support on the other issues. I did have to reboot the unit before playing a BluRay disc because I had been using the Pandora service, and it wouldn't let me play the disc without a reboot. As I mentioned, it seems to be a networking code issue that requires a reboot to clear up.

Summary:
The network/wireless issues are slightly annoying, and getting a message that I could not play a new BluRay disc after using the Pandora stuff for several hours concerned me until I rebooted and it worked right away. Those not streaming from their computer or using Pandora/Netflix may never run into these problems.

Needing an HDMI cable to get access to some features is slightly annoying, and I do not know if other players have this problem, or if it is just this unit that has it. I plan to buy a HDMI cable today so I can check out the DVD upscale capability.
post #298 of 3252 Old 05-04-2009, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjpoli View Post

It takes a minute or two for even computers to fully connect to the network, either wireless or a wired connection. With Windows, a part of the network setup time is hidden since you just assume that Windows itself is still starting up. So, give it a couple of minutes. If you set up to stream from a computer, you can use that to test if the networking has woken up or not yet, and then try Netflix.

Also, using manual instead of "DHCP/Server assigned" for your networking setup SHOULD save a little time since it won't need to request the information before the IP address, network mask, gateway, and DNS server are set.
post #299 of 3252 Old 05-04-2009, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroq444 View Post

I'm having problem with my network connection...using D-link DI624 router. The 3600 can not pass the gateway ping test...this is my first time to connect a player and it's giving me a hard time. I took the player to another friends house and using a linksys router and worked fine...got connected to netflix and pandora easily. The issue might be with my router and connecting it wirelessly is a hustle even if wired. I'm a novice when it comes to router issues. I really love the 3600...it replaced my Panny BD30K.
Need help!!!

Routers can be really good or bad about DHCP, so when it doubt, go to manual IP settings and make sure that isn't a problem. I have had personal experience with the D-Link 624, and the only good thing about it is that it is better than not having a router. Seriously, it is time to replace the old dinosaur.
post #300 of 3252 Old 05-04-2009, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targon View Post

It takes a minute or two for even computers to fully connect to the network, either wireless or a wired connection. With Windows, a part of the network setup time is hidden since you just assume that Windows itself is still starting up. So, give it a couple of minutes. If you set up to stream from a computer, you can use that to test if the networking has woken up or not yet, and then try Netflix.

Also, using manual instead of "DHCP/Server assigned" for your networking setup SHOULD save a little time since it won't need to request the information before the IP address, network mask, gateway, and DNS server are set.

Thanks. I will try making the connection multiple times as jnaks suggested above. It only seems like I am failing the Internet Service Test though. It seems to recognize my IP address, network mask, gateway, etc. There is definitely not a problem with my WiFi either, as my laptop and Wii are both able to make a connection and work fine. My settings are also still saved each time I shut down the BluRay as you suggest, and I input all of that information manually. May just have to take it back and try another.
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page