Official Samsung BD-P3600 Owners/Master thread - Page 103 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3061 of 3254 Old 01-21-2011, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
samsung is a pos! i mean what made u think that buying something like this that needed updates to keep working was going to be any good? in my mind at this point, anything that needs to be updated to be able to read different disks is simply a piece of garbage that should have never been sold, because it obviously wasn't ready to go onto the public market! its like sell it to them, and well figure it out as we go along! if there is a problem well just make more money off our customers!!! there will NEVER EVER be ANY other samsung product bought from me or anybody i ever know again. I dont care how good or cheap it is i mean NEVER EVer! black ball samsung just like i did jvc back in the mid '90's!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3062 of 3254 Old 01-21-2011, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmb2428 View Post

samsung is a pos! i mean what made u think that buying something like this that needed updates to keep working was going to be any good? in my mind at this point, anything that needs to be updated to be able to read different disks is simply a piece of garbage that should have never been sold, because it obviously wasn't ready to go onto the public market! its like sell it to them, and well figure it out as we go along! if there is a problem well just make more money off our customers!!! there will NEVER EVER be ANY other samsung product bought from me or anybody i ever know again. I dont care how good or cheap it is i mean NEVER EVer! black ball samsung just like i did jvc back in the mid '90's!!!

I have to disagree. As new technology is being implemented into Blu-ray discs, currently released players have to release firmware updates to keep up. You can't release a player today that will anticipate any change in disc technology 6 months from now.
post #3063 of 3254 Old 01-21-2011, 10:02 AM

how can I add vudu to this model?
post #3064 of 3254 Old 01-21-2011, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpep13 View Post

how can I add vudu to this model?

I don't believe that is something you can ADD. It has to be made available via firmware from Samsung.
post #3065 of 3254 Old 01-21-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula1 View Post

I don't believe that is something you can ADD. It has to be made available via firmware from Samsung.

So then I would have to get a new bluray player? I have a non HDMI receiver Denon 1802. I guess i have to stay in the 7.1 like the 3600 model. Is the playstation 3 7.1? Thanks
post #3066 of 3254 Old 01-21-2011, 02:32 PM

well ive had a number of dvd players over the years. this is the first that ever needed updates to play new disks. seems like they could make it so it would play any disk they want. are u saying all bluray players do this update thing?
post #3067 of 3254 Old 01-21-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:

well ive had a number of dvd players over the years. this is the first that ever needed updates to play new disks. seems like they could make it so it would play any disk they want. are u saying all bluray players do this update thing?

I believe all blu rays must do this. It seems since blu ray disks have come out the technology has been changing fairly frequently. I've had an LG player for about 2 years and it had to be updated every few blu rays I bought (I was getting them slowly over time.) The LG last updated last week so it could play The Sound of Music. My panny 3D blu ray 100 model had to be updated out of the box to play Avatar 3D, which came with it. You get used to it, if it's a new disk with new copy protection or new features (ex, the sound of music BD live features, mine needed to update to know how to do anything with the disk) you know to hook up the player to a internet connection or check via computer for update then put it on a flash drive.
post #3068 of 3254 Old 01-22-2011, 05:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My DVD player gets periodic firmware updates, as do my TV, my AVR, my iTouch, my PC, my cable box, my digital camera... Rather than question the quality of the 3600 that supplies updates, I would question your prior DVD players that never provided any.
post #3069 of 3254 Old 01-23-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichYak View Post

My DVD player gets periodic firmware updates, as do my TV, my AVR, my iTouch, my PC, my cable box, my digital camera... Rather than question the quality of the 3600 that supplies updates, I would question your prior DVD players that never provided any.

well thats just it, over the years i never had one disk not play. never had a disk skip or lock up that wasnt physically damaged. never had a problem with the dvd player locking up while upgrading and having to send it in for repair as a result. never had to fight the player over it trying to upgrade and not be able to turn that feature off. never had it stop responding to the remote. never had to turn it off and then on again to reboot it so the firmware would reload. never had feature disapear because of an upgrade.

and u want to question the quality of the old players...sounds to me like these manufactures have u so blinded with these hd features u dont care that the quality of this technology isnt worth a damn! I know for a fact that the days of owning a tv for 20y and it still working is completely over!!! ull be lucky if u get 5y! its all made so cheap, that u can buy a newer one cheaper than fixing what u have. I think its all bs, i will not buy into it again!
post #3070 of 3254 Old 01-23-2011, 01:32 PM

I had mine over a year now. Yesterday it asked for the firmware update. It went as usual, and then turned the player off. After I turned it back on - it only goes to the blue background screen and does not do anything. Tried unpluging - no effect!. Any suggestions?
post #3071 of 3254 Old 01-24-2011, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpep13 View Post

So then I would have to get a new bluray player? I have a non HDMI receiver Denon 1802. I guess i have to stay in the 7.1 like the 3600 model. Is the playstation 3 7.1? Thanks

Yes, if you want vudu as part of the apps that a Blu-ray player has, you would need to buy one that offers that app.
post #3072 of 3254 Old 01-24-2011, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

well thats just it, over the years i never had one disk not play. never had a disk skip or lock up that wasnt physically damaged. never had a problem with the dvd player locking up while upgrading and having to send it in for repair as a result. never had to fight the player over it trying to upgrade and not be able to turn that feature off. never had it stop responding to the remote. never had to turn it off and then on again to reboot it so the firmware would reload. never had feature disapear because of an upgrade.

and u want to question the quality of the old players...sounds to me like these manufactures have u so blinded with these hd features u dont care that the quality of this technology isnt worth a damn! I know for a fact that the days of owning a tv for 20y and it still working is completely over!!! ull be lucky if u get 5y! its all made so cheap, that u can buy a newer one cheaper than fixing what u have. I think its all bs, i will not buy into it again!

DVD and Blu-ray are 2 different technologies, so you cannot fairly compare the 2. DVDs never had technology advances after their release. Blu-ray allows for this, and the players have to "evolve' in order to play them, hence the firmware updates to allow them to play.
post #3073 of 3254 Old 01-24-2011, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

We differ in that you seem to see periodic firmware updates as indicative of poor quality which ultimately results in you having to buy new equipment in under 20 years. I see (despite being so blinded) firmware updates as fixes and upgrades to functionality as technology evolves, which increases the useful life of the equipment.
post #3074 of 3254 Old 01-24-2011, 11:49 AM

Hi, I have a (Cdn) Samsung BD P3600 connected wiressly. I can stream pictures, movies from my pc to the TV with no problem. When I try to activate Youtube, I get an error message....Failed to Authenticate to YouTube Server.
I've gotten this message from the very first time I tried to access YouTube. Anyone have anyone on this one?

Rgd's Marty
post #3075 of 3254 Old 01-25-2011, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwone View Post

Hi, I have a (Cdn) Samsung BD P3600 connected wiressly. I can stream pictures, movies from my pc to the TV with no problem. When I try to activate Youtube, I get an error message....Failed to Authenticate to YouTube Server.
I've gotten this message from the very first time I tried to access YouTube. Anyone have anyone on this one?

Can you successfully log into your youtube account on a computer? If so, try being actively logged into your account and try accessing via 3600 at that time.
post #3076 of 3254 Old 01-25-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula1 View Post

Can you successfully log into your youtube account on a computer? If so, try being actively logged into your account and try accessing via 3600 at that time.

Hi, I logged into my Youtube acct. on the pc. Then tried to access Youtube via the 3600. Still received the same error message.

Rgd's Marty
post #3077 of 3254 Old 01-26-2011, 06:57 AM

Marty,
I have a CDN player and logged onto YouTube the first time with out any incident once I updated the firmware that incorporated YouTube.

Steve L.
post #3078 of 3254 Old 01-26-2011, 08:19 AM

Steve, What ver. of firmware are you using? I am using the latest which I believe is 2.13. I never had a network when they first incorporated youtube in their firmware. Hence, I never tried it when it first came out. But that should'nt make any difference. Do you log into your Youtube acct on the pc and then access it via the 3600?

I phoned Samsung Excutive Customer Service 1-800-726-7864 and they were unaware that youtube was even available on the 3600. He downloaded the manual for the 3600 for trouble shooting purposes. I said I have a manual also and hung up.

Rgd's Marty
post #3079 of 3254 Old 01-27-2011, 06:39 AM

Marty,
I think 2.11 was the first youtube version. I'm running 2.13 now.
I logged on using only the 3600. A pc was not involved.
It only took a few minutes to set it up. I'm not using wireless. I run ethernet to a router in DHCP mode. The cable router is in bridge mode.

Steve L.
post #3080 of 3254 Old 01-27-2011, 09:09 AM

Steve,

I may try to connect via ethernet and see what happens. A reset was a thought but that would reset to factory ver. firmware right? If I install current firmare 2.13, youtube might not even be on that update. Actually this is becoming more of a pain than it's worth. If I want youtube, my pc is close by.

I appreciate your help on this.

Rgd's Marty
post #3081 of 3254 Old 01-27-2011, 03:32 PM

I felt like wasting more time and phoned Samsung again. This time the guy said "you'll have to send it in for their tech's to look at it" I asked if there is anyone there who knows the product. Not just reads manuals.

Rgd's Marty
post #3082 of 3254 Old 01-28-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDaygo0311 View Post

I do have the proxy settings off on the 3600.

I found this going through many pages. What a blessing!! I had the proxy turned on by default and could not connect to Youtube. I turned it off and bingo! Many Many thanks my friend.

Rgd's Marty
post #3083 of 3254 Old 01-29-2011, 09:37 AM

Owning a CDN 3600, I am jealous we don't have Pandora, Netflix , Blockbuster up here. Maybe in the future. I recently got Youtube up and running though. So with just Youtube I have to say this is a pretty good unit. The wireless aspect works well. It's very fast and the PQ and SQ is excellent. I've owned it for over 2 years and it's never kicked out a disk. Owning over 100, thats saying something. Even new BD's from this year.

That's it for the praise. My question is....IF and when Samsung does a firmware update should I do as always, use a usb stick? Or bring it in wirelessly from the internet? Since now I have a wireless network.

Rgd's Marty
post #3084 of 3254 Old 01-29-2011, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwone View Post
Owning a CDN 3600, I am jealous we don't have Pandora, Netflix , Blockbuster up here. Maybe in the future. I recently got Youtube up and running though. So with just Youtube I have to say this is a pretty good unit. The wireless aspect works well. It's very fast and the PQ and SQ is excellent. I've owned it for over 2 years and it's never kicked out a disk. Owning over 100, thats saying something. Even new BD's from this year.

That's it for the praise. My question is....IF and when Samsung does a firmware update should I do as always, use a usb stick? Or bring it in wirelessly from the internet? Since now I have a wireless network.
It would seem that using the USB method is less likely to have a problem.. Updating via a wired network connection, which I have used multiple times, has not been any problem either.
post #3085 of 3254 Old 01-29-2011, 11:27 AM

Sorry-I've looked thru the last few pages of posts and have been unable to locate the reason for the update from 2.12 to 2.13. I've got 2.12 and not had an issue at all and am wondering if there is any real benefit to upgrading the firmware to 2.13?

Bob

Bob
post #3086 of 3254 Old 01-29-2011, 11:58 AM

The reason Samsung gives is "improves playability of certain disks" Which disks I have no idea. I went from 2.12 to 2.13 and my players functioning did'nt change. Basicly your call if you want to update.

Rgd's Marty
post #3087 of 3254 Old 01-29-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perritterd View Post
Sorry-I've looked thru the last few pages of posts and have been unable to locate the reason for the update from 2.12 to 2.13. I've got 2.12 and not had an issue at all and am wondering if there is any real benefit to upgrading the firmware to 2.13?

Bob
The reason Samsung gives is "improves playability of certain disks" Which disks I have no idea. I went from 2.12 to 2.13 and my players functioning did'nt change. Basicly your call if you want to update.

Rgd's Marty
post #3088 of 3254 Old 01-31-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlfilmguy View Post

Well we can add "Top Gun" to the Blu Ray Discs this player cannot play.
I loaded the disc, and after a small spalsh screen of a blue circle, the disc ejects and I get a message "this disc cannot be played."

Latest FW.

Weird, I popped mine in and played with no issue. I might try a different disk of Top Gun or on an other machine. Sorry to hear to had troubles. FW 2.13

Rgd's Marty
post #3089 of 3254 Old 02-01-2011, 10:09 AM

Threw in Social Network for the first time, disc spun up, then spit out with "This disc cannot be played." But it back in and it played fine ever since.

Blu-ray sucks.

Worst. Format. Ever.
post #3090 of 3254 Old 02-01-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebloggs13 View Post

So, any more news on whether Netflix Canada will support the p3600? I checked their site and as yet, there is no info on what models will be supported.

Just spoke to Netflix (Canada) today 2/1/11. Netflix is here in Canada and Samsung only has it available on their "newer" models of player. Seeing Netflix on the 3600 in Canada is not very likely regardless what a Samsung tech may say. New models are those starting with " C "

Rgd's Marty
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page