Forum Jump: 

post #3211 of 3252 Old 01-02-2012, 06:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

Make sure you're not set to PCM in the setup menu of the player. Try reencode. Transcodes everything to DD 5.1.

S~

Teachsac - thx for the suggestion. Tried it to no avail. Still get the two speakers only. I eneded up using the 5 discrete outputs and at least on a test DVD (Wall-E on DVD), I could get the 5 distinct channels coming out of the recvr.

Now - next question: we jsut got a Panasonic Plasma 3D TV. Any suggestions for a 3D Blu-ray player?

Thanks! Happy New Year!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3212 of 3252 Old 01-06-2012, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads/BD-P3600A

Ver 2.19 : Jan. 06. 2012
1. Improves a specific disc''s playback capability.
post #3213 of 3252 Old 01-30-2012, 12:59 PM

Liked: 10
Since this player is so poor at playing new Blu ray releases, I bought an OPPO 93 to use in my HT. VERY nice, and no more skipping, freezing, and audio/video sync issues like I had with the crap Samsung...

Anyway, I moved the 3600 to my other living room hoping to use it as a Netflix box and watch occasional Blu-rays (older titles that still work). The TV in that room is an older Sony WEGA CRT. It doesn't have HDMI, obviously, but it does have Component inputs. So, I tried to connect the 3600 via component. I can get to the load screen, and blu ray plays fine, but as soon as I try to use Netflix, the screen gets scrambled. Exiting Netflix results in the screen still being scrambled. Only a power cycle on the 3600 fixes it. It's repeatable every time. Youtube on the 3600 shows the same problem. Using standard composite video out to the Sony doesn't have these problems, but I would like to use the component connection. Any ideas? I've swapped cables (but that wouldn't be it since blu ray discs don't have this problem) and looked at every menu setting I can find.

Also, since I do not have a hard line ethernet in the other room, I planned to use the wireless dongle included with the 3600. I had previously used that dongle to stream Netflix and had no problems. As I had a hard line in my HT room, I removed the dongle and it was sitting in a box till now. Since then, I bought a new wireless router. It's a new Asus, and I'm using WPA2-Personal security in my home network. The Asus router is restricted to AES (no TKIP) when on WPA2-Personal. With this setup, when trying to connect the 3600 via either WPS or manual configuration, it will not connect. I think the 3600 cannot associate with AES? For now I just ran a cable from my router, but still can't watch Netflix because of the above mentioned problem.

I just tried Blockbuster and it doesn't have this problem- though I have never used Blockbuster on this player before so I also had to go through the license agreement.
post #3214 of 3252 Old 02-03-2012, 07:46 PM

Just updated to Ver 2.19 , glad to see that I'm not the only one still running this player. No major issues to date, knock wood.

"It's not about having more money, it's about getting more out of life for the money you have."
post #3215 of 3252 Old 02-12-2012, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula1 View Post

Ver 2.19 : Jan. 06. 2012
1. Improves a specific disc''s playback capability.

I recently upgraded my P3600 to Ver 2.19 and while it did allow playback of the StarWars series of Blu-rays that I received for Christmas, I'm now finding problems with older discs. Some of my DVD's are now refusing to play and I'm experiencing skipping on my AvcHD discs if the file length approaches two hrs. If I turn the player off then back on, I can proceed with the rest of the movie without error. I also have a P1500 that I upgraded as well and so far it hasn't had the same issues.

Sadly by the look of previous posts, I'm not alone in having issues with this player.
post #3216 of 3252 Old 02-16-2012, 08:54 AM

I have my 3600 in my bedroom and have only used Blockbuster On Demand once, but since the streaming options are limited this e-mail I got from Blockbuster today is disappointing:

We have some good news and some bad news. The bad news is that, as of 3/31/12, the Blockbuster app will no longer be available on your Samsung BluRay. We are updating our technology platform and will not be able to continue supporting your device.

The good news is that you can still stream your movies on your PC or MAC and other supported devices.
post #3217 of 3252 Old 02-27-2012, 02:13 PM

Long story short, I used to have a Samsung reciever, but now have a Pioneer. So, BD Wise will not work between my 3600 and my Sammy LCD.

I noticed when I tried to play a standard DVD, the menu didn't show up when I had the resolution set to 1080p, which appears to happen to others. But, the movie or other content works fine. So, I'm guessing the menus don't upscale or something.

Is there some way to switch resolutions with a button press, instead of going into the player menu and doing it by hand? I have a Logitech Harmony remote, if that might have some secret macro I could program......

Or am I stuck doing this when I want to switch between a DVD and a Blu Ray?

Another question, I turned on the 24fps mode, but I assume only Blu Ray discs that support that feature will use 24hz on my TV, that "video" discs, or normal DVDs will stick with 30? (well, 60?)
post #3218 of 3252 Old 02-27-2012, 08:06 PM

is the IR sensor visible on the front panel somehow?

i want to add an IR extender that uses sticky emitters and cannot locate where the sensor is.

the manual shows it to the right of the display (#7). i looked using a flashlight and cannot find it.

wanted to get the emitter located correctly the first time.

any clue as to exactly where it is located?

TIA
geek
post #3219 of 3252 Old 02-27-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glgeek View Post

is the IR sensor visible on the front panel somehow?

i want to add an IR extender that uses sticky emitters and cannot locate where the sensor is.

the manual shows it to the right of the display (#7). i looked using a flashlight and cannot find it.

wanted to get the emitter located correctly the first time.

any clue as to exactly where it is located?

TIA
geek

Place the emitter loosely and test it for the correct position, then use the tape to stick it on once you've found it.
post #3220 of 3252 Old 02-28-2012, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangrel View Post

Long story short, I used to have a Samsung reciever, but now have a Pioneer. So, BD Wise will not work between my 3600 and my Sammy LCD.

I noticed when I tried to play a standard DVD, the menu didn't show up when I had the resolution set to 1080p, which appears to happen to others. But, the movie or other content works fine. So, I'm guessing the menus don't upscale or something.

Is there some way to switch resolutions with a button press, instead of going into the player menu and doing it by hand? I have a Logitech Harmony remote, if that might have some secret macro I could program......

Or am I stuck doing this when I want to switch between a DVD and a Blu Ray?

Another question, I turned on the 24fps mode, but I assume only Blu Ray discs that support that feature will use 24hz on my TV, that "video" discs, or normal DVDs will stick with 30? (well, 60?)

I have never heard of the movie being able to upscale, but not the menu. It should not make a difference. But, as far as I know, there is no other way to switch the resolution without going into the menu. Try setting the TV setting within 3600 menu to 16:9 standard (I think that is the setting) instead of 16:9 widescreen.
post #3221 of 3252 Old 03-10-2012, 12:53 PM

I have a Samsung BD-P3600 and I'd like to hack it so that I can get Amazon Prime Streaming to work on it. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks,
post #3222 of 3252 Old 04-09-2012, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 77
My 3600 only sends test tones to the LF and RF speakers. The other speakers highlight at the appropriate times, but the input for the R surround comes out of the RF speaker at reduced volume, same on the L side. No sound from the sub, either. DVDs play fine, with surround, but standard CDs won't play back in surround even when using Dolby PL II.
post #3223 of 3252 Old 04-23-2012, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

I was playing an avi file using USB. I went to rewind the show, and the 3600 just froze. Now, all it does is freeze at the first splash screen, with "loading" indicated on the front panel. It will respond to open/close tray and on/off, but nothing else. I tried holding the skip button down to do a factory reset, but it does not respond to that. I have also unplugged for several hours. Any other suggestions?
post #3224 of 3252 Old 04-23-2012, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I collected these reset methods from the Samsung FAQs maybe one of them will help.

"To reset the BD-P3600, first make sure that the disc trays empty. Then, power off the unit and unplug it. With the unit unplugged, press the power button for 20 seconds. Plug the unit back in, and then press and hold the FF>> button until the unit resets.

I'd recommend trying to reset the unit by turning the unit on and making sure that the disc tray is empty. Then, press and hold the STOP button until the unit resets. Then, go through the initial setup and power down the unit. Then, try and restart the unit and you should have proper operation.

I'd recommend trying to reset the unit by turning the unit on and making sure that the disc tray is empty. Then, press and hold the FF>> button until the unit resets. Then, go through the initial setup and power down the unit. Then, try and restart the unit and you should have proper operation."

Good luck
post #3225 of 3252 Old 04-24-2012, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1701b View Post

I collected these reset methods from the Samsung FAQs maybe one of them will help.

"To reset the BD-P3600, first make sure that the disc trays empty. Then, power off the unit and unplug it. With the unit unplugged, press the power button for 20 seconds. Plug the unit back in, and then press and hold the FF>> button until the unit resets.

I'd recommend trying to reset the unit by turning the unit on and making sure that the disc tray is empty. Then, press and hold the STOP button until the unit resets. Then, go through the initial setup and power down the unit. Then, try and restart the unit and you should have proper operation.

I'd recommend trying to reset the unit by turning the unit on and making sure that the disc tray is empty. Then, press and hold the FF>> button until the unit resets. Then, go through the initial setup and power down the unit. Then, try and restart the unit and you should have proper operation."

Good luck

Thanks for the info. I had tried each of those, and nothing works. It only responds to the on/off, and the open tray (When turned off). Once it is on, it stays with "load" on the front, and "off" is the only button it will respond to.
post #3226 of 3252 Old 04-29-2012, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula1 View Post

Thanks for the info. I had tried each of those, and nothing works. It only responds to the on/off, and the open tray (When turned off). Once it is on, it stays with "load" on the front, and "off" is the only button it will respond to.

This was happening a lot to people 2 years ago - you may want to check the forum for solutions. Its a weird problem, but a weird solution that helped some people was disconnecting the HDMI and connecting by component cables (trust me) before turning on the machine. This seems to fix something to get it working again for some people. I couldn't tell you why, though...
post #3227 of 3252 Old 04-30-2012, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anyadike View Post

This was happening a lot to people 2 years ago - you may want to check the forum for solutions. Its a weird problem, but a weird solution that helped some people was disconnecting the HDMI and connecting by component cables (trust me) before turning on the machine. This seems to fix something to get it working again for some people. I couldn't tell you why, though...

Excellent, thanks, I will give this a try.
post #3228 of 3252 Old 05-29-2012, 11:57 AM

Anyone else with a BD-p3600 having an issue with 7.1 back surround sound in TrueHD movie sound tracks? Only the back surround channels are a problem.

I can get back surround sound in 7.1 if the movie has a DTS-HD Master audio track but not from a disc with Dolby TrueHD.

I am using the analog outs to connect to my receiver and amp. And to make it more of a puzzle, I can get the player to send test tones to every speaker in the setup menu.

My current firmware is 2.15. I know it is often better to stay in a firmware that works with this player.
post #3229 of 3252 Old 05-30-2012, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1701b View Post

Anyone else with a BD-p3600 having an issue with 7.1 back surround sound in TrueHD movie sound tracks? Only the back surround channels are a problem.

I can get back surround sound in 7.1 if the movie has a DTS-HD Master audio track but not from a disc with Dolby TrueHD.

I am using the analog outs to connect to my receiver and amp. And to make it more of a puzzle, I can get the player to send test tones to every speaker in the setup menu.

My current firmware is 2.15. I know it is often better to stay in a firmware that works with this player.

If you are using analog for audio, then you are not getting DTS-MA nor TrueHD, as those are only usable via HDMI. What you are getting is the core DTS and Dobly audio. Maybe DTS has the ability to give 7.1 via the core DTS, and Dolby does not?
post #3230 of 3252 Old 06-01-2012, 11:47 AM

Thanks for the response. My understanding was that the player decodes the native soundtrack (DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD or multi-channel PCM, etc.) to multi-channel analog and then all the receiver has to do is amplify this and send it to the speakers.

Should'nt that provide a 7.1 channel including back surrounds?
post #3231 of 3252 Old 06-06-2012, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

It may process things that way, but without going through HDMI, you are only getting the "core" DTS, not the DTS-MA. So, I don't know if the "core" DTS track has 7.1 or if only the DTS-MA has 7.1.
post #3232 of 3252 Old 07-04-2012, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

For some reason, every time I use the BD3600, it need to go into the service menu to set 24fps on. Once I turn off the player, it reverts to the 24fps to being off. Any one else experience this?
post #3233 of 3252 Old 07-07-2012, 08:41 PM

For anyone else out there still using this player...rolleyes.gif

New firmware July 5, 2012 V2.22 http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/BD-P3600

I just finished wireless update and it looks like I lost Blockbuster. eek.gif

"It's not about having more money, it's about getting more out of life for the money you have."
post #3234 of 3252 Old 07-08-2012, 10:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post

For some reason, every time I use the BD3600, it need to go into the service menu to set 24fps on. Once I turn off the player, it reverts to the 24fps to being off. Any one else experience this?

Everyone.

Don't try and figure it out because Samsung clearly gave up trying to fix it.

post #3235 of 3252 Old 07-16-2012, 10:46 AM

Yes, you are correct...I see the same behavior. The firmware update seems to have broken this (24fps) setting. What a pain to have to enable it each time you turn on the unit.
post #3236 of 3252 Old 10-13-2012, 04:58 AM

Has the network search improved with this firmware version? Is auto working?
post #3237 of 3252 Old 10-13-2012, 07:12 PM

I've had 1 of these since it first came out and have been thankful to only have had minor, fixable issues. Recently, with firmware v2.19, my disc drawer would close on it's own while trying to change discs. It would do it randomly. I found out about this update, installed it tonight, and I'm going to keep an eye on what happens. So far so good.

I really do enjoy this machine. I believe it was the first Blu-ray machine that stood up against the PS3 in speed and quality. I'll report back in a few days on how it's responding with the update.

Cheers!!!!
post #3238 of 3252 Old 12-17-2012, 07:14 PM

I have this player. It's been hit and miss, mostly miss. I love having high def video at home, but I can rarely get a disc to play through without some skipping and pixelation problems, even brand new discs. I've more or less decided to give up on Blu-Ray after getting an LG Network Media Player. Blu-Ray is just too unreliable and buggy for my tastes and I don't anticipate getting another Blu-Ray player and I'm actually starting to feel like Blu-Ray will fail or become a super-niche product like SACD. But that is an old dead horse discussion...

My current problem is this: I had to upgrade to the 2.22 firmware to watch Prometheus, but after the firmware update, the player will not read USBs at all, from the front or back ports. Plus, it now will not play a large number of my burned discs that played fine before. I've called Samsung 3 times and gotten the worst customer service in history and they are standing firm on the line that it isn't their responsibility because the player is out of warranty no matter how far I escalate. The player was $100 so I'm not playing $150 to get it repaired as they offered LOL. I'm not even able to reapply the firmware update to see if it just didn't apply properly, because the payer won't recognize the firmware file.

So, what I want to try to do is roll back to the previous firmware. Is this possible? I've tried to find it online but all the links ultimately go back to Samsung's site and its gone from there. Alternatively, does anyone know a way I can force the player to reapply the update to see if that fixes the problem, or does anyone know a fix for this? Samsung seemed to act as if it is a known issue because the tech sounded like he'd heard it many times before. They had me hard reset the player several times but that did nothing. I'm ten seconds away from writing a blog with copies of all the crap e-mails from customer service entitled, "Samsung Makes Crap Products and Doesn't Service Them". Any help, you can have prima nocte with my future wife.
post #3239 of 3252 Old 12-18-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetrell69 View Post

I've had 1 of these since it first came out and have been thankful to only have had minor, fixable issues. Recently, with firmware v2.19, my disc drawer would close on it's own while trying to change discs. It would do it randomly. I found out about this update, installed it tonight, and I'm going to keep an eye on what happens. So far so good.
I really do enjoy this machine. I believe it was the first Blu-ray machine that stood up against the PS3 in speed and quality. I'll report back in a few days on how it's responding with the update.
Cheers!!!!

I am posting back. I have had no issues as of yet. I even did the 2.22 update and things are quiet. It's hard to say why some have problems and some don't. When this machine goes I'd be happy to buy another Samsung Bluray player but it won't be from a retail store. I'll buy on-line ..... like I did with this one. This model wasn't even offered in stores by me as far as I saw.

Here's to hoping those with issues on-going find some relief.
post #3240 of 3252 Old 12-18-2012, 11:20 AM

Hey Jetrell69 can you still see shared folders on your computer with 2.22?
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page