Official Samsung BD-P3600 Owners/Master thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 3252 Old 06-16-2009, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just returned mine. SDVD movies kept locking up. No rhyme or reason it just hated SDVD's.

Replaced it with a different brand and not only no issues but load time for Blu-Ray dropped in half.

And this in not a knock against Samung as I have a 63" Samsung plasma as well as two 46" Samsung LCD's. Geat displays. Horrible Blu-Ray players.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 3252 Old 06-16-2009, 03:45 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhasa-lover View Post

Replaced it with a different brand and not only no issues but load time for Blu-Ray dropped in half.

What did you get?

I'm not crazy!  My mother had me tested...

post #543 of 3252 Old 06-16-2009, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Patterson View Post

What did you get?

I was trying to keep the thread clean. I was concerned that once I posted that another brand was better for me, it might make some defensive. But since you asked, it is an LG BD390. I have an PS3 that I use in my main media room and I have another Samsung, older version, in one bedroom and now the LG. Without doubt the LG's upconversion of SDVD's is the best by far, for me, outstanding pic quality. Blu-Ray's load fast and the picture is fantastic. Has built in wireless and 7.1 analog outputs. The tray is a little cheap. There is an LG thread that you can check out.
post #544 of 3252 Old 06-16-2009, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

I got the 3600 over the weekend. I had all kinds of problems with freezing. I couldn't get past the boot up. The player finally starting working and froze in the middle of The Dark Knight (Blu-Ray). Then I couldn't unfreeze it. Eventually I had to shut it off. But it froze right up again when turned on. I couldn't get SDVD working either.

I exchanged it at Best Buy for the Panasonic BD 80. It was an open item (display model). Hooked it up and within minutes I was watching the Dark Knight. So far about 15 minutes intothe movie with no problems.

Skip
post #545 of 3252 Old 06-17-2009, 06:09 AM

I had the same problem with my Samsung BP-1600 which internally is essentially the same player. Freezup was NOT apparent out of the box, but began within a few weeks of ownership. I returned it for another, and so far, no freezing problems.
post #546 of 3252 Old 06-17-2009, 06:56 AM

FYI, Amazon's running another promotion for the 3600 -- It's not as good as the previous promotion ($225 when purchased with four blu-rays), but you get two blu-rays free when you buy it at $349 -- The list of titles includes a lot of great flicks like Gran Torino, Defiance, Iron Man, The Dark Knight, and Transformers.
post #547 of 3252 Old 06-17-2009, 08:38 AM
KRR

BD Wise resolution and DVD question - When I set the player resolution to BD Wise (I have a samsung TV so they communicate thru HDMI), the player runs DVDs at 480i. Is that normal? It is not automatically upconverting to 480p. If I set the player resolution to 480p, the picture does not seem to be better than 480i. I can also set it to 1080p and get a bigger picture but again, the quality does not seem different than 480i.
post #548 of 3252 Old 06-17-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:

I was trying to keep the thread clean. I was concerned that once I posted that another brand was better for me, it might make some defensive. But since you asked, it is an LG BD390...

Not offended - just curious as to the "half load time" claim and what amazing device did this. I wouldn't be afraid to say if I found something better, either, although I'm personally very happy with my 3600.

post #549 of 3252 Old 06-17-2009, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Patterson View Post

Not offended - just curious as to the "half load time" claim and what amazing device did this. I wouldn't be afraid to say if I found something better, either, although I'm personally very happy with my 3600.

See. This is exactly what I wanted to avoid. All I said was that the one I have now loads a disc faster than my Samsung did and I get the sarcastic: what amazing device did this

I'm glad you are happy but I won't be baited. Go argue with someone else as I posted my experience and with that no need for me to hang around.
post #550 of 3252 Old 06-17-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRR View Post

BD Wise resolution and DVD question - When I set the player resolution to BD Wise (I have a samsung TV so they communicate thru HDMI), the player runs DVDs at 480i. Is that normal? It is not automatically upconverting to 480p. If I set the player resolution to 480p, the picture does not seem to be better than 480i. I can also set it to 1080p and get a bigger picture but again, the quality does not seem different than 480i.

On some very old DVD's the best BD Wise will upgrade is to 480i. On newer DVD's the best BD Wise will do is 780p x 480. If you have a DVD copy of a Blue Ray disc, you should be getting the latter upscaling. If not, check your setup menu. Personally, I haven't been impressed by the upscaling with my BP-1600 player, even when bypassing BD Wise and trying to upscale to 1080i through the player's setup menu. (Now I realize the BP-3600 is a more expensive player, but I have been told elsewhere that the BP-1600 is essentially the same internally except for the built in memory.). In fact, I was so disappointed with the BP-1600's upscaling, that I purchased a Samsung DVD-1080p9 upscaling player (only $69). It very much outperforms my Samsung BR player in regard to upscaling, particularly when I over-ride BD-Wise and select 1080i. I tried the same thing with the BP-1600 and really couldn't see any improvement. The nice thing about the DVD-1080p9 is there is a single button on the remote that lets you toggle the different resolutions, making it easy to see what looks best.
post #551 of 3252 Old 06-17-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:

See. This is exactly what I wanted to avoid. All I said was that the one I have now loads a disc faster than my Samsung did and I get the sarcastic: what amazing device did this

I'm glad you are happy but I won't be baited. Go argue with someone else as I posted my experience and with that no need for me to hang around.

Wow - my comment was well-intended and not sarcastic or meant to be hurtful at all. No argument intended. Period.

Thanks for moving on, though...

post #552 of 3252 Old 06-18-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geaux Tigers View Post

My father-in-law purchased a BD-P3600 from Eoutlet Canada. Is there anything special that I need to do to put the US Firmware on his machine after it arrives? Thanks.

I found myself in the exact same situation. Called Samsung (twice), who were marginally better than no help at all. They said that because the player is so new, no firmware update has been posted yet. When it is, it will be found on their support website, and we should check there in a couple of weeks. They claimed that it should not be a problem to update the Canadian firmware with the US version, which I will believe when I see it.
post #553 of 3252 Old 06-18-2009, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080irony View Post

I found myself in the exact same situation. Called Samsung (twice), who were marginally better than no help at all. They said that because the player is so new, no firmware update has been posted yet. When it is, it will be found on their support website, and we should check there in a couple of weeks. They claimed that it should not be a problem to update the Canadian firmware with the US version, which I will believe when I see it.

Thats the story I got - 4 weeks ago!
post #554 of 3252 Old 06-18-2009, 02:59 PM
KRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwieder View Post

...In fact, I was so disappointed with the BP-1600's upscaling, that I purchased a Samsung DVD-1080p9 upscaling player (only $69). It very much outperforms my Samsung BR player in regard to upscaling, particularly when I over-ride BD-Wise and select 1080i....

Thanks wtwieder, I thought I was the only one that didn't see the difference between 480i, 480p and 1080 on a DVD with this Blu-Ray player. Thanks for your suggestion on the 1080P9.
post #555 of 3252 Old 06-18-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRR View Post

Thanks wtwieder, I thought I was the only one that didn't see the difference between 480i, 480p and 1080 on a DVD with this Blu-Ray player. Thanks for your suggestion on the 1080P9.

While the DVD-1080p9 does much better than the Samsung Blue Ray player, don't expect that its upscaling is going to turn a DVD into a high definition disc. It won't. I just think a dedicated DVD player does a better job of playing a DVD than does the Samsung BR/dvd player. With the DVD-1080i, I notice less flickering or jaggie artifacts around straight lines, more gradations of gray between white and black, and also more shading in colors, resulting in more 3 dimensional rendering of faces and objects. Whether this improvement is just do to the upscaling, I don't know. I really didn't expect much out of this $68 DVD player, but was pleasantly surprised. Try one. You can always return it if you don't see the difference. I would be curious in hearing your feedback, if you do try one. Your comparative experience may be different with the BP-3600 than mine is with the BP-1600, even though they are supposed to be similar.
post #556 of 3252 Old 06-20-2009, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispurchases View Post

Here is Samsung's response after I complained that the BD-P3600 was in stores but not on the web site and I wanted to know about the HQV chip.

"Either the site has not been updated yet or the model has not officially been released. It has a newer VQE (Video Quality Enhancement) chip."

Would be nice to know how the VQE compares to the HQV. "Newer" doesn't necessarily mean better.

Can anyone with a BD-P3600 manual find out if the PC streaming is supposed to support MP4 H.264 or is it DIVX only?

Hi i have the new 2009 Samsung BD-P3600 and the new 2009 VQE chip does a much better job at upconverting Standard DVD's than the old HQV chip. HQV is older chip technology and VQE is vastly superior. I've tested it and seen HQV vs VQE side by side. VQE looks 100X better for upscaling SD DVD's. Much cleaner picture, better color and sharpness/resolution looks better.

You think every year large brand name electronic manufacturers don't upgrade their internal chipsets? absolutely they do. This is how the electronics industry works. There is always improvement from older models not just in aesthetics. the HQV chip that was in the older Samsung BD player is a 2008 model, the 2009 BD-P3600 uses a new and advanced chip (VQE) that upscales much much better than the older HQV.

Test it and you will see what i said is right.

Anybody else here who has good vision/ electronics know-how and testing equipment can confirm that the new VQE upscaling chip has much better picture quality upscaler compared to the older HQV.

I've tested both upscaling chips by eye and testing equipment. Call Samsung and send an email to level 3 technicions they will tell you and confirm it.
post #557 of 3252 Old 06-20-2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yangc View Post

FYI, Amazon's running another promotion for the 3600 -- It's not as good as the previous promotion ($225 when purchased with four blu-rays), but you get two blu-rays free when you buy it at $349 -- The list of titles includes a lot of great flicks like Gran Torino, Defiance, Iron Man, The Dark Knight, and Transformers.

Hm this isn't so bad if you get 4 decent blu-rays, gonna check it.
post #558 of 3252 Old 06-20-2009, 10:37 AM

Anyone having trouble with Tale of Despereaux on this player? Two discs from Netflix won't play. Played fine in a friend's Oppo. I ditched my problematic bd-p1200 for this player, and I hope I'm not going to have the same experience with it.
post #559 of 3252 Old 06-20-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretgeek View Post

Anyone having trouble with Tale of Despereaux on this player? Two discs from Netflix won't play. Played fine in a friend's Oppo. I ditched my problematic bd-p1200 for this player, and I hope I'm not going to have the same experience with it.

always check your other components and make sure their functioning properly. I have this player and have had no problems with it. let me know if you find a solution.
post #560 of 3252 Old 06-20-2009, 12:17 PM

I just picked up the Season 1 & 2 Blu-Ray sets of Lost. Both feature the SeasonPlay feature. Either I'm not doing something right, or something is wrong with it on my player (Samsung BD-P 3600).

No matter how many times I create a profile, when I stop and disc and then go back to it later, the profile isn't there.

Anyone had success getting this feature to work? I like the concept, but I hope I can figure out what I'm doing incorrectly.

Thanks!
post #561 of 3252 Old 06-20-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretgeek View Post

Anyone having trouble with Tale of Despereaux on this player? Two discs from Netflix won't play. Played fine in a friend's Oppo. I ditched my problematic bd-p1200 for this player, and I hope I'm not going to have the same experience with it.[IMG]http://***************/9/P/i.jpg[/IMG]

I haven't had any problems playing this. like the previous poster says, always check your components. It is strange how some blu-rays play without hassle and others are problematic.
post #562 of 3252 Old 06-20-2009, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member

Hi, I just bought a 3600 today and after setting up which went smooth as silk no troubles. I am getting a few problems I had a SDDVD Lock up on me halfway through the movie was easily fixed minor problem but dont want it happening on every SD DVD??

Also Streaming Netflix it locked up halfway through the movie, I do NOT believe it is my Connection I am on 16mbpsdown / 8mbps up Cable IS comcast??

Other then those 2 gliches all has been well. I bought 2 Blu Ray movies and will get to play them tomorrow cant wait to hear DTS HD

Oh I almost forgot while watching Bucket List the sub had a wine in it almost sounded like feedback it was a higher pitch sound. I had stopped the movie and put on a DVD-A in my other player and the sub was working fine? it was a Netflix DVD Rental SD DVD??

post #563 of 3252 Old 06-21-2009, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juda View Post

I haven't had any problems playing this. like the previous poster says, always check your components. It is strange how some blu-rays play without hassle and others are problematic.

So you have played Despereaux with no problems? I have played dozens of other discs in this player with no problem as well, but two different copies both resulted in the disc being ejected with the error "this disc can not be played." (Yes cannot is two words in the error. Comforting.) How exactly would another one of my components cause this problem?
post #564 of 3252 Old 06-21-2009, 09:58 AM

One thing that I am going to suggest here is that people report how they connect their BD-3600 to other components. I personally am running HDMI to a Samsung 40A530 flat panel, and then using the optical out for my audio and have had no problems with this configuration, except for a loud CLICK when I first load a Bluray disc(but it is fine after that).

My panel is not new enough to support the BD-Wise, so that is disabled.

If your unit freezes up after some time, that can be an indicator that some component inside your player is overheating. It may be as simple as a heat sink not being installed properly, or some overly sensitive chips being used in some units(defective unit, not defective by design).

There are some clear issues with the streaming from other computers, but since Netflix and Pandora have no problem running for hours, it is clearly an issue that will be corrected via the firmware.

When it comes to Samsung support saying "in a few weeks", the problem in many cases is that support hears an unofficial comment saying the firmware update is in the works, but the time between when development finishes with something and when it is officially made public are often unknown. So, the new firmware COULD be done, but is going through the QA process and we are stuck waiting on QA before we can get it.

For those having problems with the DVD upscale, you MUST be using HDMI in order for this feature to work. If you use component video out(even the blue/green/red), the BD-P3600 will NOT allow the DVD upscale feature to work.
post #565 of 3252 Old 06-21-2009, 11:49 AM

I get a gateway ping error when doing the test connection. What can I do?
post #566 of 3252 Old 06-21-2009, 01:11 PM

Ive tried reseting router and modem still same problem. I even used a ethernet cable instead od wireless still same problem.
post #567 of 3252 Old 06-22-2009, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotp94 View Post

I get a gateway ping error when doing the test connection. What can I do?

Not too sure but check to see if you have Ping request enabled in your router

I have the P3600 connected with HDMI for Vid to a Acer PH530 DLP Projector, and the 7.1 Analog outs to a switch then to the Marantz 4001 Reciever..

I had a defective unit so I returned it yesterday and will be testing this unit for any more problems.. Turns out the HDMI Plug was defective or so said the tech guy as I was getting wierd colored Snow and old static Snow??

But this player seems to be fine so far but I will find out in a bit when I go watch a movie through Blu Ray Total Recall

post #568 of 3252 Old 06-22-2009, 10:13 AM

Days and hours later I have finally resolved my Network setup issues. I have followed this string from the beginning and have gone back and forth with Samsung phone service performing almost all the recommended fixes. Still Nothing. I was just about to ship the unit back to Samsung ...that is until I contacted Linksys phone service who not only solved my wireless problems but probably fixed some other problems with my network that were just waiting to happen. However, read on to see the solution.

Long story short:
1. After Linksys (Cisco) fixed all my settings that aspect of the problem was ruled out. Now for the good part, forget the wireless connection unless you see at least 3 bars on your network search. That's the first clue. Otherwise you will probably fall into the tarpit that I did and end up messing around with entering all those passwords under the MEP, MES2, yada, yada using both upper and lower case and go for the network connection test and fail repeatedly at any given moment at any of the four levels (address, gateway, ping, etc.). I tried every combination possible, auto, manual, semi-auto, you name it, I failed it. Network Failure after network failure while every other wireless device I own picks it up loud and clear even when I lay it on top of the DVD player!
2. I contacted my internet provider (Comcast) who assured me I have 8mps coming into the house loud and clear. They suggested going wired instead of wireless and that I could get really good speed using a remote network adapter.
3. Trotted down to BB and spent the extra bucks (@ $130) to get the Netgear XAVB101 Powerline AV Ethernet Adapter Kit that amped up my internet speed x10. Ran a direct Ethernet wire from the router to the Netgear device that is plugged into a local 110v outlet; ran another ethernet from the 2nd Netgear booster device located downstairs to the DVD player. Changed from "Wireless" to "Cable" network setup connection and and viola! Network connection success! Netflix download in <20 seconds, Pandora instantly, great picture, miles and miles of smiles Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy!

As for my Linksys router support. I called tech service and they were able to hook up to my computer remotely. This allowed the techie to set up my router with all the correct settings including the sockets that Samsung said had to be open (440, 60). In the end, it turns out none of that mattered if you can't get those 3+bars on your wireless network search on the Samsung device.

Forget the wireless; go wired!! P.s. My wireless dongle is for sale.
post #569 of 3252 Old 06-22-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas99 View Post

Hi i have the new 2009 Samsung BD-P3600 and the new 2009 VQE chip does a much better job at upconverting Standard DVD's than the old HQV chip. HQV is older chip technology and VQE is vastly superior. I've tested it and seen HQV vs VQE side by side. VQE looks 100X better for upscaling SD DVD's. Much cleaner picture, better color and sharpness/resolution looks better.

You think every year large brand name electronic manufacturers don't upgrade their internal chipsets? absolutely they do. This is how the electronics industry works. There is always improvement from older models not just in aesthetics. the HQV chip that was in the older Samsung BD player is a 2008 model, the 2009 BD-P3600 uses a new and advanced chip (VQE) that upscales much much better than the older HQV.

Test it and you will see what i said is right.

Anybody else here who has good vision/ electronics know-how and testing equipment can confirm that the new VQE upscaling chip has much better picture quality upscaler compared to the older HQV.

I've tested both upscaling chips by eye and testing equipment. Call Samsung and send an email to level 3 technicions they will tell you and confirm it.

If what you are saying is true, I wonder why the Samsung DVD-1080p upscales SO MUCH BETTER than my Samsung BR1600. Does the BR3600 have the VQE chip that the BR1600 doesn't? According CNET both Samsung players are essentially the same internally and play back DVD's less than perfectly. I wonder what chip is being used in the DVD-1080p that to my eyes does a better job.
post #570 of 3252 Old 06-23-2009, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewe View Post

I just got the 3600. I have a Panasonic SA-Xr50 Digital Receiver. No HDMI but optical input. I did HDMI to my Sony HD TV and optical cable to the receiver. The receiver shows that I am only getting stereo (L and R channels). Any suggestions? I had the same set up with my last DVD player and got 5.1 out of it.

I've noticed the same problem with my setup, which is similar to yours, except that I have a Samsung HDTV and a Yahama HTR receiver (pre-HDMI). The manual suggests that setting your audio output to "Bitstream Re-encode" is the best option for DTS capable receivers that do not have HDMI throughput. I haven't yet tried this, but I will do so this evening and post the results.
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page